Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach French Looking to Leave Boyle County?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've heard rumors of his name surrounding a few job openings around the state that I've simply brushed off. However, I heard very recently that he had applied for at least one of them from a pretty good source. Maybe some of the Boyle County folks on here can confirm or deny?
Would be a big lost :Sad04:
Would have to be a good job to leave BC for.
Swpc
Coach French has done a good job at Boyle but I think it's time for a change I know a lot of people who feel this way but wouldn't admit it publicly and I've been told there's some board members who feel the same way.
Sometimes is best to get out while you can. If Boyle doesn't live up to their standards in the next few years, some will be ready to force him out.
Is one of the jobs he is looking at Whitley Co.:pondering:
BandWagon Wrote:Sometimes is best to get out while you can. If Boyle doesn't live up to their standards in the next few years, some will be ready to force him out.

This is a little troubling. I dont think Boyles standards are any higher than Coach French's standards. 4 undefeated regular seasons, 2 state titles (Pretty Good Standards). Must have just made the wrong person upset
That's also possible. Sometimes there are disagreements between coach and the admin. This could be a reason to look elsewhere. Coaches sometimes just test the market to be testing. May have no intentions of leaving.
How old is Coach French? I would think that age would play a factor in which direction a team would want to go. How much longer would he coach?
I always find it funny that you hear about age being an issue in HS, but yet in college, seeing guys as the HC and/or even coordinators into their 50's and 60's rarely if ever is an issue.

Saban is 60ish.

Lou Holtz was at ND and South Carolina before he eventually hung it up. I think he coached into his mid 60's did he not?

The DC at Auburn (cant remember his name right now and too lazy to look his name up).

Monte Kiffin

Rich Brooks when hired at UK and making their turn around.

Pitino is over 60.

Fair question nonetheless Widcat, but it's just funny that age is never brought up at the higher, more demanding levels yet these older guys are still some of the best in the business, yet age is a factor at the HS level?
Wildcat18 Wrote:How old is Coach French? I would think that age would play a factor in which direction a team would want to go. How much longer would he coach?

Besides, in this day and age.....long term tenure at one place is just wishful thinking. Is what it is. Like those who have said that French and Boyle are tiring of each other. After all...he's just won 2 State Championships, 1 other Semi appearence, region finals appearances in his 6 years at the helm.

Unless it's just an absolute perfect marriage, about 5-6 years at one place is about what you can expect from both parties these days (coach/admin/community/etc). It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

IF French has applied. IF he is offered. IF he takes it. 5 or 6 years under that man would do wonders for their program (or any program for that fact).
You have an argument on a college forum, but this isn't college. Heck, maybe he's looking at going to a college. I'm just wondering why he would be looking to leave Boyle County? Two things come to my mind: Age or Boyle is looking to clean house for a Smith return. Just thinking outside the box.

A previous comment stated that a lot of people from Boyle and some of the board members may think it is just time for a change. I'd like to know why. It's hard for me to believe with his history there, they'd see it as "time for a change."
Wildcat18 Wrote:You have an argument on a college forum, but this isn't college. Heck, maybe he's looking at going to a college. I'm just wondering why he would be looking to leave Boyle County? Two things come to my mind: Age or Boyle is looking to clean house for a Smith return. Just thinking outside the box.

A previous comment stated that a lot of people from Boyle and some of the board members may think it is just time for a change. I'd like to know why. It's hard for me to believe with his history there, they'd see it as "time for a change."

Guess the other thread knocks that theory in the head. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:Guess the other thread knocks that theory in the head. :Thumbs:

You're right about that. I didn't believe anything said about Smith until I saw it was official. Heard his name with almost every job opening in this state since he departed with UK.
Wildcat18 Wrote:You have an argument on a college forum, but this isn't college. Heck, maybe he's looking at going to a college. I'm just wondering why he would be looking to leave Boyle County? Two things come to my mind: Age or Boyle is looking to clean house for a Smith return. Just thinking outside the box.

Or the fact that like a lot of fan bases, they get spoiled and their rags to riches story was so fast and so much, that things had to start coming back down to reality sometime….and, some can't come to grips with that, even though they just finished up a 11-1 season.

As far as the "this isn't college forum" comment, who cares…"Too old to coach at a HS in KY, but not a major Division 1 football/basketball programs"..that makes a lot of sense.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Or the fact that like a lot of fan bases, they get spoiled and their rags to riches story was so fast and so much, that things had to start coming back down to reality sometime….and, some can't come to grips with that, even though they just finished up a 11-1 season.

As far as the "this isn't college forum" comment, who cares…"Too old to coach at a HS in KY, but not a major Division 1 football/basketball programs"..that makes a lot of sense.

You're very right about fan bases getting spoiled. However, my question still remains. What factors would lead a fan base to want to part ways with a coach with that type of success? The fact that they lost 1 game this season? Take a poll. I'll bet the general consensus of BC fans would say age in their top 2 or 3 factors in this scenario.

My comments aren't directed on whether or not the guy can coach. That's proven. I'm more along the lines of why schools would be ok taking a coach for 4 or 5 years knowing he may not have much more in the tank on the sideline. They'll just be repeating the hiring process in a few years.
I'm sorry Jack but I disagree. Larry French is a great coach and Boyle is blessed to have him. Why would it be time for a change? All he has done is return Boyle back to contenders. 2008 a loss at Bell County in the semi finals, 2009 State Champs, 2010 State Champs, 2011 Region Runner-up, 2012 Region Runner-up, and 2013 a 10-0 undefeated season. No one that I know of feels that Larry needs to go. The only ones that I could think of wanting a change could be the bandwagon jumpers. The ones that stay at home when the weather is bad and not a true supporter of the program.

For as of the board members and the administration they need to be very thankful and appreciate what they have, as good coaches just don't fall from the sky. I've not heard of one board member wanting Larry gone, but wanting him to make some changes on his staff. One thing Larry is, is loyal. If Boyle was to lose French it would be a black day for the Boyle football program.
Rebel55 Wrote:I'm sorry Jack but I disagree. Larry French is a great coach and Boyle is blessed to have him. Why would it be time for a change? All he has done is return Boyle back to contenders. 2008 a loss at Bell County in the semi finals, 2009 State Champs, 2010 State Champs, 2011 Region Runner-up, 2012 Region Runner-up, and 2013 a 10-0 undefeated season. No one that I know of feels that Larry needs to go. The only ones that I could think of wanting a change could be the bandwagon jumpers. The ones that stay at home when the weather is bad and not a true supporter of the program.

For as of the board members and the administration they need to be very thankful and appreciate what they have, as good coaches just don't fall from the sky. I've not heard of one board member wanting Larry gone, but wanting him to make some changes on his staff. One thing Larry is, is loyal. If Boyle was to lose French it would be a black day for the Boyle football program.

I feel like he needs to go to Whitley County lol
Rebel55 Wrote:I'm sorry Jack but I disagree. Larry French is a great coach and Boyle is blessed to have him. Why would it be time for a change? All he has done is return Boyle back to contenders. 2008 a loss at Bell County in the semi finals, 2009 State Champs, 2010 State Champs, 2011 Region Runner-up, 2012 Region Runner-up, and 2013 a 10-0 undefeated season. No one that I know of feels that Larry needs to go. The only ones that I could think of wanting a change could be the bandwagon jumpers. The ones that stay at home when the weather is bad and not a true supporter of the program.

Sorry Jack but I second this post by Rebel55. I don't know of anyone else who wants Larry French to leave. He is a great coach.
To my fellow Boyle supporters IMO its time for a change I have my reasons and there are several of them Larry has done a good job and I thank him for it but I would like to see John Hodge as head coach at Boyle if you guys want to know my reasons pm me i'll be glad to discuss it with you I graduated from Boyle in 1983 and have been a loyal supporter thru good times and bad so don't question my loyalty I want to see this program succeed as much as anyone does.
Jack Lambert Wrote:To my fellow Boyle supporters IMO its time for a change I have my reasons and there are several of them Larry has done a good job and I thank him for it but I would like to see John Hodge as head coach at Boyle if you guys want to know my reasons pm me i'll be glad to discuss it with you I graduated from Boyle in 1983 and have been a loyal supporter thru good times and bad so don't question my loyalty I want to see this program succeed as much as anyone does.

I would like to see John Hodge at Boyle County when Larry French decides its time to hang the hat. As far as your loyalty goes, I would never question it because I do know that you are Boyle County thru and thru! :Thumbs:
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Or the fact that like a lot of fan bases, they get spoiled and their rags to riches story was so fast and so much, that things had to start coming back down to reality sometime….and, some can't come to grips with that, even though they just finished up a 11-1 season.

I do not believe that Boyle County's fan base as a whole is spoiled. Just because 1 fan speaks out about a coach changes does not mean we, as Boyle County fans, are spoiled. The expectations at Boyle County are really high but I'm sure a lot of programs set high standards for themselves. If not, then they have already failed. There has to be a goal. Boyle County's goal is to bring home the hardware. :Thumbs:
Board members cannot recommend. Really only responsible for hiring the super. Legally. Not that it ever mattered. But that is not supposed to be their area. I am sure they have their say at most places. You got a good coach. Winning is great...but so are the lessons the young men learn along the way.
SWHS would be great for French since he lives in Pulaski County!! Just saying!! He is a great coach!!!
Any new info on French leaving Boyle??? Or is it just a rumor???
Who are the coaches at Boyle now? Assistants?
Paul Crewe Wrote:Who are the coaches at Boyle now? Assistants?

Chris Mason is the offensive coordinator and Jeff Hester is the defensive coordinator.
Any updates?
LWC Wrote:Any updates?

From what I understand the rumors are dying down. The rumors have came fromsome good sources but I do believe he will stick it out for at least one more year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5