Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New KHSAA transfer rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are the toughts about the new KHSAA transfer rule involving the following of a coach (school and AAU)? Can or will the KHSAA for back to the beginning of the school year and change the eligibilty status of some players? If so how would the be with football half over? The rule states it is effective 2013-2014 school year but was adopted on September 19.

The rule states:

c) if a student participates on a school team that is coached by a coach associated in that same sport at a high school, and the student then transfers to
the member school where the coach is employed (paid or volunteer at any level);
d) if a student participates on non-school (i.e. AAU, American Legion, club settings, summer program, etc.) team that is affiliated with or coached by a
coach associated in that same sport at a member school and the student then transfers to the member school where a coach is employed (paid or
volunteer at any level);
I am kind of confused on the intent of the rule as posted, but I think it will be a lot bigger of an issue in basketball and baseball than football.
This might hit wrestling the hardest. Many schools join up together in the offseason and wrestle as a club in national events.
Ok im lost
It is going to hit Lexington baseball hard. Several of the Lexington coaches have been working at champions in Nicholasville and /or coaching summer teams and getting transfers out of it for years.
So they are saying it is OK to transfer with the coach?
I have been told more times than a few, that the KHSAA is NOT a governing body and cannot enforce regulations.

If that's true, why are they making rules that they don't/won't have the power to enforce?
:goofy: I'm so confused!!!:help:
What??
First off if I move with my kid to said school and a coach happens to be hired there then I don't see the problem. I should be allowed to live where I want and my son should be allowed to play where I move.PERIOD
^^
I agree

I re-read my post RamPride. It's not confusing. That's actually what I have been told by more than a few. Makes you wonder why the KHSAA even exists.
First off all what happens if the kid played for a team that was coached by a coach from another school? I don't understand the rule, mostly I would imagine because you only posted a portion of it. This could be a real problem around here. That because the American Legion Post here and at all the others around use a coach from one of the high schools. The American Legion Post is for high school aged kids to play on after high school ball is over. You have kids from several schools on those teams and therefore they would be playing for another schools coach.
mysonis55 Wrote:First off all what happens if the kid played for a team that was coached by a coach from another school? I don't understand the rule, mostly I would imagine because you only posted a portion of it. This could be a real problem around here. That because the American Legion Post here and at all the others around use a coach from one of the high schools. The American Legion Post is for high school aged kids to play on after high school ball is over. You have kids from several schools on those teams and therefore they would be playing for another schools coach.

It appears as if the rule only applies in this example if the kid who pays for said American Legion Coach transfers to the different school he actually coaches at.

For example:

If Jack Jones is a Freshman at Mayfield and plays American Legion balls the Summer prior to his Soph season for Coach Bob Boggs, and Coach Bob Boggs is the Assistant Coach at McCracken County... then Jack Jones will be ruled ineligible if he transfers to McCracken County that following year.

If Jack Jones plays for Coach Boggs, but still attends Mayfield then he is fine... but the transfer is a No-Go..

I am assuming this also means even with a bonafide change of address if the kid attends the same school as a Coach then he is still ineligible.

Like others, this seems to be a direct result of basketball and AAU and won't effect football as much.

the example I guess I can see is when John Chapman left from being the Assistant at Breathitt County and came to Pike Central and the QB Boggs and LB Shouse transferred to Pike Central. Shouse played for Chapman at Breathitt, Boggs did not, but Boggs did have a relationship with Chapman and contact with him as he had intended to attend Breathitt. Thus, with the new rule these two players would technically have been ruled ineligible.
The other common football example I could see would be for a heavily recruited player.

Say for example (this is 100% hypothetical) Damien Harris' recruitment is primarily handled and filtered by Madison Southern's Offensive Coordinator. The OC is a trusted family friend.

Now let's say prior to Harris' Senior Season the OC is hired as the OC at Lexington Catholic. If Harris tries to enroll at Lexington Catholic to follow his family friend and the guy who has handled his recruitment...then he would be ruled ineligible. Even if the entire Harris family moves to Lexington and has a legit change of address...this seems to be in place to override that.

I dont see these situations in KY often with the lack of elite talent, but it is very common in CA,FL,GA, TX to see an assistant coach be the school's "recruiting coordinator" for prospects so they aren't hounded by the media. Especially at schools like a Stephenson HS in GA that produces 6-10 D-1 players year.
Granny Bear Wrote:^^
I agree

I re-read my post RamPride. It's not confusing. That's actually what I have been told by more than a few. Makes you wonder why the KHSAA even exists.

Granny, what you have been told by more than a few is wrong. The KHSAA can enforce its regulations unless and until a court overrules a specific enforcement decision by the KHSAA. Which happens occasionally. But with that exception, the KHSAA has the power to enforce its regulations.
I was hoping you'd be snooping around and answer that comment!!
Wink

Thanks Charlie22!! I know that YOU know what you're talking about when it comes to the KHSAA!!
Hopefully there is an exception for the children of coaches that take another job.
DJ Townsen moved from Somerset to Rowan County to follow Coach Shawn Thacker when he left Somerset for Rowan. So this type of thing does happen, just not sure how often.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Hopefully there is an exception for the children of coaches that take another job.

I was thinking about that... but at the same time there is a bit of a slippery slope there as well.

Of course you have to allow sons of coaches to follow their dads, especially if relocation is involved.

BUT... where the slippery slope comes into play would be with the term "legal guardian". In recruit heavy states there have been several instances of a legal guardian, or handler, who suddenly gets a nice coaching position and the kid they are taking in then transfers with them.
Granny Bear Wrote:I was hoping you'd be snooping around and answer that comment!!
Wink

Thanks Charlie22!! I know that YOU know what you're talking about when it comes to the KHSAA!!

My pleasure. Because I've been off the BOC for two years now, I'm not as familiar with the day to day stuff at the KHSAA as I once was however.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I was thinking about that... but at the same time there is a bit of a slippery slope there as well.

Of course you have to allow sons of coaches to follow their dads, especially if relocation is involved.

BUT... where the slippery slope comes into play would be with the term "legal guardian". In recruit heavy states there have been several instances of a legal guardian, or handler, who suddenly gets a nice coaching position and the kid they are taking in then transfers with them.

You are so correct and bring up a great point. We have a local school here who is doing quite well the past several years in football and from what I understand one person has been a "legal guardian" to more than a few of the transfers. This is something that needs to be looked into. If the kids are moving to a town legit, that is one thing, but if they are just being signed over to someone so they can play football there, that is not right at all. But just my opinion, maybe I am looking at it wrong.
Hopefully this even things up a little between private and independent. To county schools
This happened at McCracken County. Head coach from Massac County IL was hired by McCracken County and the running back from Massac transferred to McCracken.
Rule is only as good as who is enforcing it. Not much confidence in KHSAA.
mysonis55 Wrote:First off all what happens if the kid played for a team that was coached by a coach from another school? I don't understand the rule, mostly I would imagine because you only posted a portion of it. This could be a real problem around here. That because the American Legion Post here and at all the others around use a coach from one of the high schools. The American Legion Post is for high school aged kids to play on after high school ball is over. You have kids from several schools on those teams and therefore they would be playing for another schools coach.

So that's how mayfield recruit That's awesome :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
No, you misunderstood what I said there 64. My son was already and has always been at Mayfield since he was in Kindergarten. We did move to the county in his 4th grade year but, we have free enrollment now. Well the first 2 years I had to pay tuition. The Legion Coach was from Graves County, so he certainly would not have recruited him for Mayfield. He did however help us in one way. He managed to get my son a tryout that has now gotten him national attention though. We are very thankful for that and very excited for my son.
In Florida if player A is playing at school A for coach A for a season then coach A gets a new coaching job at school B and player A wants to transfer to school B with his old coach he must set out a full season or 1 full year. The only exception is player A is the biological son of coach A.
I really don't see this rule affecting much in Kentucky. I personally don't know why they would want to stop that anyway. I coached for years in baseball. I always felt like if a coach inherited or cultivated a player and worked with him and made him better, he should be able to keep the kid the next year. The reason being, this only speaks to the credibility of the coach and his abilities to train and to mentor a child. The ultimate goal in any coaches career should be to see how positively he can affect each childs life.
mysonis55 Wrote:I really don't see this rule affecting much in Kentucky. I personally don't know why they would want to stop that anyway. I coached for years in baseball. I always felt like if a coach inherited or cultivated a player and worked with him and made him better, he should be able to keep the kid the next year. The reason being, this only speaks to the credibility of the coach and his abilities to train and to mentor a child. The ultimate goal in any coaches career should be to see how positively he can affect each childs life.

AAU Basketball is why it is in place...specifically EKY AAU teams HAHA
What about transfers from another state?
Pages: 1 2