Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New KHSAA transfer rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
sportsfan, McPeek won't like you asking that question. You know we are starting to annex part of va.
If the KHSAA would have enforced the old rule there would have been no need for this rule.
E's Army Wrote:If the KHSAA would have enforced the old rule there would have been no need for this rule.

I'm sure that you and others will disagree, but the KHSAA did enforce the old rule when it had firm evidence that it was being violated. There is still due process in this country. You can't and shouldn't sanction or discipline some one or some school unless you have firm evidence that there is a violation. While there are those un-informed folks out there that believe the KHSAA is not subject to the law and doesn't have to allow due process, those folks are flat out wrong. The KHSAA is a state agent. It is legally required to follow the law just like any state agency. Which means the KHSAA cannot act in an arbitrary or capricious manner. In other words, they have to have a solid foundation for the decisions they make; they have to have solid evidence when they issue sanctions. It is much more difficult that you think to garner evidence of recruiting that will hold up in court. This rule is a reflection of that fact: now the standard is a kid will simply be ineligible if it follows a coach even if there is no evidence of recruiting.

And it's not final yet. It was approved by the delegates at the Annual Meeting but it also has to be approved by the Ky Department of Education and a joint committee (ARRS) of the General Assembly before it becomes final.

While I understand the motivation and the KHSAA in supporting this rule, I'm not sure I like it. If my son, as a freshman, played for a coach that was a super role model for my son, and that coach left and was being replaced by someone I disapproved of as a role model, I as a parent would want the freedom and right to have my son transfer and follow the prior coach. So I don't like the rule for that reason. Plus, I am a libertarian by nature and don't think govt has a right to dictate what I do unless there is a compelling societal reason justifying it. Transfers maybe having an impact on wins and losses in high school games is no where near a compelling societal need.
Pages: 1 2