Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When disaster hits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When a large disaster hits a region what governmental body should take the lead?
Should the State bear the bulk of the rebuild or the federal government?
Should either governmental bodies help the uninsured or underinsured?
State and federal should take the lead. We pay taxes to both heads. I don't know about paid for homes, but homes that are mortgaged, are required to carry appropriate insurance.
Quote:The Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels has committed $30,000 to assist the victims of the tragedy in Oklahoma. The funds will go to the Salvation Army's emergency relief program to assist in providing food and provisions to survivors, rescue workers and security personnel. The Army has had units on site since late yesterday afternoon.

As always, this grant is made on behalf of all Kentucky Colonels who support the Good Works Program with their voluntary contributions.

If you would like to assist in this particular effort, our secure donation page can be accessed here. Please type TORNADO in the notes section of the page.
https://www.kycolonels.org/contrib2/contrib.php
Those who are under insured or not insured should not be bailed out by any level of government. They should be helped with necessities for a reasonable, but not overly extended (like unemployment "benefits"), period of time. However, they shouldn't be made whole for all their losses at the expense of the taxpayers. Responsible people had insurance to cover their losses. They should not have their tax dollars used for those who did not act responsibly.

Who has the first responsibility? I would say the injured party should first be responsible. Next would be his/her family and friends. Third, to a limited degree should be local government. Next, to a limited extent, state government. Last, and only for limited services, the federal government. Woven throughout all this are charitable organizations like Red Cross, Salvation Army, and churches (yes, those nasty, judgmental Christians and Jews do tend to be a major source of help).

Local, state, and federal government must be responsible to restore public buildings and facilities. However, that does not extend to private facilities like homes. That is why people carry insurance.

I'm sure the usual sources will be highly disturbed by this post. Go for it. The theme of the post is personal responsibility. This country was built on that theme. The continued deterioration of that theme will destroy the country. We are moving quickly in that direction.
I wholeheartidly agree!! We had an EF0 touch down three years ago here in Harlan. Granted, the devistation wasn't nearly as wide spread as Oklahoma's but several of us threw some tools in the back of a pick up truck, and went down to the areas that were hit the hardest. There were probably a dozen more trucks already there when we arrived, and we all pitched in and whether it be repairs or quick fix its, we got about 20 homes in the dry with tarps, repairs or whatever. Those of "us" too old or inept to work threw up food tents. We probably fed over a hundred folks that day; victims, workers, whoever came by and wanted to eat. I personally feel that THIS is a duty for me, as a Christian....not for everyone, but definately for me.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Those who are under insured or not insured should not be bailed out by any level of government. They should be helped with necessities for a reasonable, but not overly extended (like unemployment "benefits"), period of time. However, they shouldn't be made whole for all their losses at the expense of the taxpayers. Responsible people had insurance to cover their losses. They should not have their tax dollars used for those who did not act responsibly.

Who has the first responsibility? I would say the injured party should first be responsible. Next would be his/her family and friends. Third, to a limited degree should be local government. Next, to a limited extent, state government. Last, and only for limited services, the federal government. Woven throughout all this are charitable organizations like Red Cross, Salvation Army, and churches (yes, those nasty, judgmental Christians and Jews do tend to be a major source of help).

Local, state, and federal government must be responsible to restore public buildings and facilities. However, that does not extend to private facilities like homes. That is why people carry insurance.

I'm sure the usual sources will be highly disturbed by this post. Go for it. The theme of the post is personal responsibility. This country was built on that theme. The continued deterioration of that theme will destroy the country. We are moving quickly in that direction.

SPOT ON.

This is what insurance is for. It's also where "communities" come together and help those that need it. They help rebuild and reconstruct. I know if my neighbor was stranded i would help him in anyway i could even if he wouldnt do it for me.
My insurance is Is taken directly out of my mortgage.

What about older couples who didnt have insurance? Couldnt afford it because they barely made enough from Social Security to pay rising everyday bills? What if they have no family or community help?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:My insurance is Is taken directly out of my mortgage.
What about older couples who didnt have insurance? Couldnt afford it because they barely made enough from Social Security to pay rising everyday bills? What if they have no family or community help?

If you have a mortgage than more then likely your insurance and property tax are both escrowed in. Banks do this to protect themselves by making you pay for it the same way you have to have full coverage on a car that your paying payments on.

Govt relief is for the types of people you described. However, its often misused. Look at the Katrina ordeal. Also, how are you going to deny someone with insurance or someone thats well off any govt money when your giving it to the poorest of the poor?

Insurance isnt a want, its a necessity, and if you own a home, you better have it.
^ Here's just one reason your guys are toast, as I was saying in the other thread.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/21/...epublican/
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If you have a mortgage than more then likely your insurance and property tax are both escrowed in. Banks do this to protect themselves by making you pay for it the same way you have to have full coverage on a car that your paying payments on.

Govt relief is for the types of people you described. However, its often misused. Look at the Katrina ordeal. Also, how are you going to deny someone with insurance or someone thats well off any govt money when your giving it to the poorest of the poor?

Insurance isnt a want, its a necessity, and if you own a home, you better have it.

I just think people of a certain age
That clearly couldn't afford home insurance , should be helped.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I just think people of a certain age
That clearly couldn't afford home insurance , should be helped.

Fine. Let their families or their friends or their neighbors or some charity help them. It is not the job of the general taxpayers, through a government program, to help them.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:My insurance is Is taken directly out of my mortgage.

If they are in such a bind, I would think they don't need to own real estate. They need to liquidate so that they have money to live on and to pay their bills- which would include renter's contents insurance which is rather cheap. After all, they have no family so they have no heirs to leave their property to, do they?

Your example is a real tearjerker. It just doesn't pass the reality test.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:If they are in such a bind, I would think they don't need to own real estate. They need to liquidate so that they have money to live on and to pay their bills- which would include renter's contents insurance which is rather cheap. After all, they have no family so they have no heirs to leave their property to, do they?

Your example is a real tearjerker. It just doesn't pass the reality test.

Your heart is black.

Reality is there are people who have no family that worked there entire life paying taxes that can barely pay there bills. On land that they more than likely worked to pay for.

You think 80 year old women know what liquidate means?

Proverbs 22:9 -
He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor

Philippians 2:4 -
do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

Matthew 25:35-40 - Words of Jesus Christ

'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 'And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.

And since the United States is founded upon Christianity and the Bible. We should Obey it.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Fine. Let their families or their friends or their neighbors or some charity help them. It is not the job of the general taxpayers, through a government program, to help them.

I would rather my tax money help rebuild Oklahoma City or surrounding cities. Than to pay congressman and politicians.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your heart is black.

Reality is there are people who have no family that worked there entire life paying taxes that can barely pay there bills. On land that they more than likely worked to pay for.

do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 'And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.

And since the United States is founded upon Christianity and the Bible. We should Obey it.
They forget that others pay taxes also WC23.
I Believe the state should take the lead as it should in most matters, but then again I also believe that the states should receive the majority of tax dollars and that there should be a much smaller fed gummint.

Your cites deal with the requirement that we, as compassionate human beings, help each other. It does not refer to the government providing a bailout. It sets forth the need for each of us individually to help others.You, as is not unusual, miss the true meaning.

Of course, it is easy to sit back and rationalize that you are fulfilling your duty because the government, to which you may have been forced to contribute tax dollars, is doing the "good work" for you.

As for my "black heart", you are being a bit melodramatic. But, that is typical of you and TheRealVille. When you cannot argue intelligently, you resort to personal attacks. Your heart-tugging reference to an old people with no family being entitled to keep the land they work to pay for is silly. I gave you the logical and realistic solution to their problem in post # 12. After all, there are remedies other than the nanny state.

I'm with you, WC23. Let the Christians pay for it. This is "their" country.
TheRealVille Wrote:I'm with you, WC23. Let the Christians pay for it. This is "their" country.

If we agree to do so, will all of you reprobates agree to move permanently to Mexico?:Thumbs:
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:If we agree to do so, will all of you reprobates agree to move permanently to Mexico?:Thumbs:
When you guys can pay me off what I've paid in to this country for retirement, and property I own, sure. Puerto Vallarta would make a great retirement place.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Your cites deal with the requirement that we, as compassionate human beings, help each other. It does not refer to the government providing a bailout. It sets forth the need for each of us individually to help others.You, as is not unusual, miss the true meaning.

Of course, it is easy to sit back and rationalize that you are fulfilling your duty because the government, to which you may have been forced to contribute tax dollars, is doing the "good work" for you.

As for my "black heart", you are being a bit melodramatic. But, that is typical of you and TheRealVille. When you cannot argue intelligently, you resort to personal attacks. Your heart-tugging reference to an old people with no family being entitled to keep the land they work to pay for is silly. I gave you the logical and realistic solution to their problem in post # 12. After all, there are remedies other than the nanny state.

and 2 think he is a moderator :biglmao:
TheRealVille Wrote:When you guys can pay me off what I've paid in to this country for retirement, and property I own, sure. Puerto Vallarta would make a great retirement place.

Gee. You are obviously a real financial tycoon. That union label sure did the job.

On the other hand, while I will never cultivate the indignity of blowing about personal holdings (that means "property"), I would be happy to compare portfolios (that means "personal holdings" which means "property") with you anytime.

I have always heard that those who have don't need to advertise it. Those who probably don't must blow. I don't advertise. Apparently, you do.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Gee. You are obviously a real financial tycoon. That union label sure did the job.

On the other hand, while I will never cultivate the indignity of blowing about personal holdings (that means "property"), I would be happy to compare portfolios (that means "personal holdings" which means "property") with you anytime.

I have always heard that those who have don't need to advertise it. Those who probably don't must blow. I don't advertise. Apparently, you do.
Meaning, pay me one lump sum for the social security I've paid in, for the past 30 years, and buy my house. That social security is mine, I paid into it, it is not an "entitlement, or welfare program". That house is mine, I bought, and paid for it. Don't make more out of what I said, than what I said. There wasn't a brag anywhere in my post. You are a republican, and doing what they do best, twist words.
^ Which brings up a good point. You didn't miss a chance to throw a wealth brag in there, though.

Quote:On the other hand, while I will never cultivate the indignity of blowing about personal holdings (that means "property"), I would be happy to compare portfolios (that means "personal holdings" which means "property") with you anytime.

Apparently you do.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Your cites deal with the requirement that we, as compassionate human beings, help each other. It does not refer to the government providing a bailout. It sets forth the need for each of us individually to help others.You, as is not unusual, miss the true meaning.

So the bible only matters in the government when it supports you? Gay Marriage?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:So the bible only matters in the government when it supports you? Gay Marriage?
You know the drill WC23. It only counts, if it benefits them. Just like the "social safety net" they tout being for. Until they are the ones that need it, the use of that safety net has to meet their criteria, just like the two OK politicians that vote against federal aid at every turn, until they need it, then it's horse of a different color.
TheRealVille Wrote:Meaning, pay me one lump sum for the social security I've paid in, for the past 30 years, and buy my house. That social security is mine, I paid into it, it is not an "entitlement, or welfare program". That house is mine, I bought, and paid for it. Don't make more out of what I said, than what I said. There wasn't a brag anywhere in my post. You are a republican, and doing what they do best, twist words.

The more you post the more you demonstrate your ignorance of the facts. You seem to want to make us believe that you "paid" for your Social Security. Not true.

I will assume you have always worked for someone else and that you never owned your own business. In that case, you only paid in one-half of the Social Security paid in your name. Your employer matched whatever was withheld from your pay. Thus, again, you should thank your employer for funding one-half of your bounty.

Now, if, like me, you ran your own business, you would know that those who do so pay all (than means 100%) of the payments made on their behalf to Social Security.

It is just like unemployment benefits. Most who receive it believe that they paid for it and are merely getting back part of what they paid. Again, not true. Only the employer pays into the unemployment fund. The worker pays nothing. And, what about we who are self-employed? We are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

I realize that you will ignore this post and make some silly half-butted personal attack reply. Nonetheless, I am trying to perform a public service by educating one who is obviously uneducated.

And, as for blowing about what I may or may not own, unlike you, I will not do so. The last thing I want is for Bucky's Gestapo to know what I own. I do all I can to remain anonymous with the IRS. I recommend that others do the same.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:The more you post the more you demonstrate your ignorance of the facts. You seem to want to make us believe that you "paid" for your Social Security. Not true.

I will assume you have always worked for someone else and that you never owned your own business. In that case, you only paid in one-half of the Social Security paid in your name. Your employer matched whatever was withheld from your pay. Thus, again, you should thank your employer for funding one-half of your bounty.

Now, if, like me, you ran your own business, you would know that those who do so pay all (than means 100%) of the payments made on their behalf to Social Security.

It is just like unemployment benefits. Most who receive it believe that they paid for it and are merely getting back part of what they paid. Again, not true. Only the employer pays into the unemployment fund. The worker pays nothing. And, what about we who are self-employed? We are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

I realize that you will ignore this post and make some silly half-butted personal attack reply. Nonetheless, I am trying to perform a public service by educating one who is obviously uneducated.

And, as for blowing about what I may or may not own, unlike you, I will not do so. The last thing I want is for Bucky's Gestapo to know what I own. I do all I can to remain anonymous with the IRS. I recommend that others do the same.
My social security comes right out of my check. I'll take half then. But, you did notice the words "that I paid in"? Again, there was no brag anywhere in my previous post, unlike your brag about comparing portfolios. If the US, or you christians, in your "christian nation" like I said, will give me what I've paid into social security, in one lump sum, and someone buys my house, I will gladly leave it to your "christian" nation. Until then, as long as I pay taxes, I'll vote for, and say, what I want.
[Image: 945453_10151445781121275_1173788233_n.jpg]
TheRealVille Wrote:^ Here's just one reason your guys are toast, as I was saying in the other thread.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/21/...epublican/

My guys?
Who cares? This whole country is shit.

ANYTHING to distract from the 4 million democratic scandals right now....
Pages: 1 2