Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2014 UK Football Recruiting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Coach calls Edwards one of Ohio's best

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

Cincinnati (Ohio) Winton Woods safety Mike Edwards seemed to be hinting all along that Kentucky would be his choice so it wasn't a huge surprise when he committed to the Wildcats in early June.

The big storyline in Edwards' recruitment seemed to be when, and not if, he would commit to Kentucky. Almost lost in all of that talk was the kind of player that Edwards is.

His coach, Andre Parker, is well-aware of everything his rising senior defensive back is capable of.

"I really believe Mike is probably one of the overall best football players in the state of Ohio," Parker told Cats Illustrated. "I don't think you'll be able to find four kids as versatile as Mike. He's one of the most versatile kids we've ever had. He had three returned punts for touchdowns and two kickoffs (returned for touchdowns) so he's very dangerous in the return game. He's able to change the game. He's one of those kids, if you show him something one time you don't have to talk to him about it anymore. He's a very smart, competitive player.

"He's one of those kids where if we put him at quarterback in the triple option he'd rush for 1,000 yards. The game really just comes easy to him."

Kentucky's coaches have talked to Edwards about the possibility of playing any of the three positions in the secondary: Corner, free safety or strong safety.

Edwards became a starter for Winton Woods' varsity team during his sophomore season and he's started every game since then. While he has always been an impact player, Parker said that Edwards is still coming into his own physically and the sky is the limit.

"Right now he's probably 12 pounds heavier than he ended his junior year and his numbers in the weight room are very impressive," Parker continued. "The one thing me and Mike have talked about is getting him to become a striker. He's a very good tackler but one aspect we want from him is for him to become an imposing tackler."

UK's recruiting success in Ohio has been discussed ad nauseam but Parker touched on two key elements of it that many have overlooked.

"From talking to other high school coaches in the area (Kentucky's coaches) have been very clear at who they want," he said. "It's not, 'Let's wait and see,' it's, 'We want you, this is what we have to offer, this is our plan, this is how we get better.' The kids that are committed have done a good job of recruiting for them, too."

Kentucky's next big target from Winton Woods is transfer George Brown, a Class of 2015 lineman that will play on both sides of the ball. His interest in Kentucky has been well-documented and his offer list may exceed that of any current Kentucky commitment from the Class of 2014.

Parker believes the Wildcats have a great shot with Brown, in large part because of Edwards' decision.

"I definitely think they've got a great chance. He and Mike are really close," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522339
TV Williams to Kentucky
Has he committed ?
Yes. He committed about 8:45 tonight
After narrowing down his college choices to five finalists, McKinney wide receiver T.V. Williams announced today that he will commit to Kentucky.

The other finalists included Oregon State, Nebraska, Iowa and Houston.

This past season at McKinney, Williams caught 45 passes for 789 yards and 10 touchdowns. He was also invited to attend The Opening in Beaverton, Ore. that was held last week.
Williams picks Kentucky

Rob Cassidy
Recruiting Analyst

MCKINNEY, Texas -- T.V. Williams sat just feet away from the spectacle and never wished to be at its center.

The three-star prospect watched handfuls of highly regarded recruits get their 15 minutes as they announced college decisions at The Opening on national television. He had decided to commit to Kentucky long before the event, but looked on quietly and guarded his secret.

The waiting was in the name of loyalty. See, Williams, a wide receiver at Texas' McKinney High School, was content trading lights and cameras for family and friends. He exchanged the national exposure for this moment - an evening spent inside his high school with 250 of those closest to him gathered around a table.

It's a decision Williams will never regret. As he reached for a blue Kentucky cap, and the room stuffed with his supporters erupted in applause, the payoff was obvious. This is exactly what he'd imagined.

"We talk a lot about [McKinney] Lion Nation here at my school," Williams said after announcing his choice of Kentucky on Tuesday. "It's family and friends here. That stays with me. This is what means the most top me. This is why I wanted to do it here. Everybody here has touched me in a way I just can't explain."

Williams, who requested a moment of silence for a recently deceases classmate before his announcement, has always been a family-first guy. It's the way he was raised. But football doesn't come long after. It never has.

That's apparent when watching him play.

"In my 18 years, he's the most explosive player I have ever coached," said McKinney head coach Jeff Smith. "He's got crazy speed. He's an excellent route runner and is such a smart football player. He plays multiple positions for us. Football is a great passion for him. It's something he has dedicated a lot of time to. His speed and quickness is going to translate to the next level."

Williams had informed the Kentucky staff of his choice days before his announcement, but most in the building were uncertain until he threw on a blue hat and a custom-made Kentucky shirt emblazed with the slogan "#Yahtzee".

The rest of the event itself was standard -- exactly the way Williams drew it up. There were some prayers and some cheers before Williams outlined the driving forces behind his decision.

"They have a saying in Lexington that goes 'come be a hero,'" Williams said. "It just means come help turn Kentucky around, and I really want to be a part of something special like that. I want to build a program and be part of a class that comes in and steps up. I decided that right before I went to the Opening. I wanted to go to camp clear minded. It was a great decision."

The sentimental stuff is fine and well. Building a program, being part of a foundation, yadda, yadda. But the Xs and Os sold Williams on the Wildcats just as much as the atmosphere or the mindset.

In the end, his was a football decision. And it's one that he's a peace with.

"At Kentucky, I'm going to playing the slot," Williams said. "I'm going to be getting a lot of jet sweeps and getting the ball in my hand in space. Also, they want to line me up out wide to stretch the field with my speed. It's an air-raid offense. You won't find a wide receiver anywhere that wouldn't want to play in an air-raid offense. No wide receiver wants to run the ball. It's really a dream situation for me."

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/con...ID=1523517
With the commitment of T.V. Williams Kentucky moves into the #3 spot in the 2014 recruiting rankings. Kentucky had dropped to 5th behind Alabama, FSU, Tennessee, and Texas. Now Kentucky is only behind Tennessee and Texas.
UK visit could be key for WR Johnson

Justin Rowland
CatsIllustrated.com Football Recruiting Analyst

Just one unofficial visit stands between Garrett Johnson and his college decision. How that visit goes could largely determine where Johnson spends the next four or five years of his life.

Johnson has never visited Kentucky before but that changes on the weekend of July 19. The three-star prospect is one of a host of expected unofficial visitors that includes most of the Wildcats' current commitments. In other words, he couldn't have picked a better time to schedule his trip.

"I'm always talking to coach (Chad) Scott," Johnson said. "He seems like he's a great guy. He seems like he knows what he's talking about and can communicate well.

"He's been telling me about their offense. It's like an open attack and a spread. They move the ball around. Pretty much those types of things and what their plans are."

So far this summer Johnson has stayed in-state. He has taken unofficial visits to USF, Florida and Florida State, and he visited Miami in the spring.

Over the weekend the 5-foot-9, 160-pound receiver announced that his four finalists are USF, Kentucky, Boston College and Arizona.

Of those schools Johnson has only visited USF. With a trip to Kentucky coming up in a couple of weeks it might be safe to say that the Bulls and Wildcats are in good shape.

Johnson said he's not able to single out one school as head and shoulders above the rest, but that will come soon.

"I was thinking at first maybe (he would commit) during the fall. Now that I've thought about it more I think it will be this summer," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522686
Athlete Gallup wants to hear more from Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Michael Gallup probably isn't as well-known as some of the other receiver recruits on Kentucky's board but the UK coaches are well aware of what the Georgia native can do.

Though Gallup is rated just a two-star prospect he does claim several impressive offers. The Monroe (Ga.) athlete said Missouri, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, USF, NC State, Western Kentucky and Old Dominion are among those that have offered.

Kentucky has shown interest but hasn't had quite as much contact with Gallup as others.

"I've actually only talked to them twice," he said. "It's been a little while. One of their coaches came during school and I saw him for a second.

"They've told me about what kind of offense they run and how I could be used in it if I chose Kentucky. I like their offense from what I know of it. It actually does (help)."

Gallup said he also knows a little bit about the new coaching staff in Lexington but admitted he has more research to do. That will come, especially if the Wildcats show more interest.

"Everybody's recruiting me about the same right now," Gallup continued. "Nobody's standing out. Not exactly. I'm still kinda new to this whole recruiting process so nobody's really stood out."

Last fall as a junior Gallup had 629 receiving yards and 1,800 all-purpose yards on offense. The 6-foot-1, 188-pound prospect said every college that is recruiting him wants him to play on the offensive side of the ball.

Since Gallup's offers came a little later than did some belonging to other prospects he doesn't seem to be in any kind of rush to make his choice.

"I'm going to finish out this football season to see what else I can get and then I'll choose from there. I want to take my official visits after my senior season," he concluded.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522690
Firios has high ceiling for improvement

Justin Rowland

Nico Firios may have as much athleticism and raw physical ability as any other prospect currently committed to Kentucky but he still has a ways to go as far as polishing his game.

According to his coach at Longwood (Fla.) Lyman, Jeff Gierke, Firios has already come a long way.

"Last year was my first season coaching Nico and when I got there he looked the part but to be honest he was terrible," Gierke said. "He was just one of those kids that looks the part but couldn't play. He had gone through Pop Warner and just made plays. He wasn't coached. If no one's coaching you then you're not going to be a very good player.

"In the spring he was not very good. I saw flashes of what he could do. He could definitely run. He was a big kid and a very strong kid but he needed someone to coach him. That's his best quality, that he's coachable. That's why he's going to be very successful in college. He's a four-star player with just a year of being coached.

"If you would have saw him when I got him, it's a tribute to his work ethic and his desire to be a good player. He's put the time in. There was a point where I was going to bench him last year. He whiffed on so many tackles and didn't read anything. By the end of the year he was just an animal, and through the spring. I think he's going to have a tremendous year. He's gotten even bigger and stronger. He enjoys the game. We're going to move him around. With his athleticism we think he's going to have an All-American kind of year."

Athleticism has never been an issue for Firios. Not too many linebackers at 6-foot-2 and 225-pounds run the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds, but Firios does. Gierke believes he will be around 230 when he enters college and he expects him to crack Kentucky's depth chart by his second year in the program. He even expects him to see some playing time as a freshman.

"He'll strike you," Gierke added. "He's a violent kid. He doesn't have a whole lot of weaknesses because he'll take on the block, he can get separation and he's a great blitzer. He's starting to recognize plays and he blocking schemes. He's a very good football player. He's strong and fast.

"One thing we can work on is coverage. I've never asked him to cover very much even though he's so athletic because he's such a good blitzer. We play with five defensive backs so he's never been asked to cover a lot. We're going to do some things with him just because he's got that ability. He's got to get out there and do it.

"We've got to give him a chance to show he can do that. That's always everybody's biggest jump from high school to college football, at linebacker and in the secondary. Everything throws much more (in college) and you're going against better players and quarterbacks. That's always the biggest adjustment. You're not going against Division I quarterbacks every week. You might see that once a year but in college everyone's throwing half the time."

The mental aspect of the game is also something that gradually comes to everyone. Firios is still relatively raw but he's picking up on things quickly.

"Playing middle linebacker, he's going to be big enough. He understands it well enough. He recognizes plays and will take on a block and run people down. It will be the mental side of it ... breaking down film, that stuff everybody has to do in college. If you're going to be a middle linebacker making calls and checks you have to start watching more film and you have to be that coach on the field where you can make the checks a coach wants you to make without looking over.

"That's something he can grow into. He's a smart kid. Most of our checks are in the secondary and those are advanced things you don't have to do in high school," he said.

Kentucky assistant coach Chad Scott was responsible for recruiting Firios to Kentucky and he sealed the deal, for all practical purposes, when Firios visited for the Wildcats' Saturday Night Primetime Camp in June.

Gierke admits he didn't expect the choice to be Kentucky.

"They were always there," he said, "but I was surprised. I thought he was going to hold out and see if a bigger school (would offer). When he first told me his schools he was hearing from Notre Dame, Stanford and all these bigger schools, which I understood. He's got grades and every big-time player wants to see how big they can get.

"He really liked the guy recruiting him from Louisville and they were down here recruiting him on day one. He visited there right before he visited Kentucky. I thought if he was going to choose anywhere it would be (Louisville). He was talking about Auburn and Miami. I don't get involved with that and I'll let them decide, but I thought he was going to wait 'til the end of the summer to make sure nothing else came. He said he really liked Kentucky and that's where he wanted to be."

Firios is part of a four-man linebacker class that also includes Dorian Hendrix, Kobie Walker and junior college prospect Ryan Flannigan.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522342
QB Stidham continues to impress

Justin Rowland

Jarrett Stidham showed flashes of his immense potential at the Rivals Underclassman Challenge and observers were left wondering just how high his ceiling is with so little experience behind center.

Stidham will be starting for the first time as the Stephenville, Texas, quarterback this fall but his relative lack of experience didn't hurt him at all at Rivals' signature national event for underclassmen over the weekend.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound quarterback is clearly an outstanding athlete, but he's also got a phenomenal arm that will serve him well in college once he gets some experience and polish.

"I feel like I did pretty good," Stidham told Cats Illustrated. "It was hard to get a lot of reps because there were so many quarterbacks there but I had a lot of fun with it. I got to throw to some fast kids and some good receivers so that was fun. Mostly I'm just trying to keep working on my game in every single way.

Stephenville starts two-a-day practices on August 5 and Stidham is excited about what's in store for the team. He told Cats Illustrated that the defense will be stacked and the offensive line returns all but one starter. That's good news for any quarterback, especially one that will be working on pocket presence for the first time.

The two questions are at receiver and running back, but Stidham's abilities should help the offense go.

One adjustment for Stidham will be in terms of leadership. He will be the one shouting out directions and leading the team from the huddle and behind center.

"That kinda comes naturally to me," Stidham said. "I'm an outgoing kind of person. I don't like to sit back and just watch other people do their thing. I like to talk."

Kentucky is recruiting Stidham as a quarterback and Cats Illustrated first reported on his deep ties to the Commonwealth and the UK program last month. He and his family visit the state just about every year and this year is no exception.

The only difference this year is he will be returning to UK as a recruit rather than as a fan as he did as a child.

"I'm going down to Alabama on Sunday night and then I'll be there Monday and Tuesday," Stidham said. "Then I'm going north to Kentucky and I'll be at their camp that Friday. I think I'm visiting that Saturday and then I'll be there (in the state) for four or five days visiting family and friends."

Stidham admitted that Alabama has his attention. He has offers from UK, Texas, Texas A&M and others, but an offer from the Tide would be special.

"Honestly that would probably be bigger than the others," he said. "Three out of the last four national championships. I'm not saying you're guaranteed a national championship if you go there but that would be a hard one to pass up."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1523687
Tubman still open to pitch from Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Louisville (Ky.) Seneca defensive end Lloyd Tubman flipped his commitment from WKU to Vanderbilt earlier this year and he has seemed to be pretty solid in his pledge to the Commodores since then.

As recently as late June the 6-foot-3, 228-pound defensive end maintained he was solid with Vanderbilt and happy with his commitment.

And Tubman said this week that still hasn't changed.

"I still feel the same," Tubman said. "I'm just seeing what's out there."

But there's really only one school that he seems to be checking out. That would be Kentucky. The Wildcats haven't stopped recruiting Tubman since he flipped to Vanderbilt and the coaching staff has made it clear to him that they would love for him to be a part of their recruiting class.

"On the 19th (of July) I'm going to visit UK," he told Cats Illustrated, noting that he has stayed in contact with head coach Mark Stoops.

"I'm really just going to be seeing what they're all about. He's a great coach," he said of Stoops.

The three-star prospect, ranked the No. 4 rising senior in the Commonwealth, said Kentucky is the only other school he is giving a serious look to at this time.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1523508
Family ties helped lead Kelly to Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Playing football at the University of Kentucky is becoming a Kelly family tradition and the thought of following in familiar footsteps was appealing to one of the Cats' recent commitments.

Havana (Fla.) East Gadsden offensive tackle Derrick Kelly committed to the Wildcats in June after showing up at camp and checking in at 6-foot-5 and 285-pounds. He's not the Wildcats' highest-ranked commitment but he is the recruit that put Kentucky at No. 1 in the national rankings with his pledge.

For Kelly the decision to commit to Kentucky was easy.

"I feel like Kentucky is going to have a major turnaround," he said. "With (Mark) Stoops being the head coach and all the players they have coming in, I think it's going to be a major turnaround and I wanted to be a part of it."

Two of Kelly's family members of the same last name, Eric and Champ, played college football for the Wildcats. Kelly said he's close with the former and trusts what he has told him about UK.

"He's told me it's a good college," he said of Eric. "He told me there are good coaches and people there that he's played with before. He liked everything about it."

While at the Wildcats' camp Kelly was able to talk to the coaches, tour the schools and see what the facilities are like, as well as the plans for the facilities. Kelly was an imposing figure around the football offices but he wasn't there to participate. The staff had already evaluated his film and assistant coach Bradley Dale Peveto stopped by his school to see him in person during the spring.

South Carolina's coaches wanted Kelly to camp but he didn't go through with that. The only other school Kelly camped at this summer was Alabama and that was at the beginning of June.

"Pretty much all the schools backed off," Kelly said, referring to the period of time after his commitment.

Kelly added that he was able to meet and get to know Mikel Horton and Thaddeus Snodgrass while he was at UK's camp.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1523682
UK keeping an eye on JUCO lineman Allen

Justin Rowland

It appears that Kentucky is looking to add a junior college offensive lineman and A.J. Allen is one that has caught their attention.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound tackle from El Cajon (Calif.) Grossmont C.C. told Cats Illustrated that he added an offer from Kentucky in June. That was his first offer of the recruiting process and he has been in contact with assistant coach Tommy Mainord for a while now.

"He's pretty cool," Allen said of Mainord. "He's telling me that they for sure have a scholarship for me if I'm able to come in December. He's been telling me that if I take some classes I'd be able to get out earlier so that's what I'm trying to do."

That doesn't mean Allen is set on Kentucky. The junior college lineman likes the Wildcats but he also likes the idea of enrolling early regardless of what four-year school he chooses.

Kentucky is just his only offer to date.

"(Mainord) was telling me about their campus size and how it's in Lexington. For a little while they had the number one recruiting class. He was telling me they're getting a whole bunch of new players and I know they've got a new coaching staff," Allen said.

"I'd say my interest in them right now is about medium because I'm waiting to see if I get any other offers."

Allen's offensive line coach at Grossmont has informed him that Southern Cal, Oregon, Illinois and Connecticut are among the other schools that are interested and will be evaluating him.

It's safe to say that an official visit to Lexington is likely this fall or winter.

"Coach Mainord said I could take a visit around November," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1524770
Cats still have a shot at WR Pinckney

Justin Rowland

Three-star receiver JayJay Pinckney recently went public with his top four and Kentucky wasn't in it. But maybe it's not as simple as that.

Cats Illustrated spoke with the 6-foot-3, 172-pound athlete and he confirmed that Boston College, Cincinnati, Indiana and Michigan State are the schools at the top of his list. But he also confirmed what was first reported by Cats Illustrated: That he would be visiting Kentucky this week.

"I'm going to be there (this) Thursday and Friday," Pinckney said last week. "I've never been there before so I'm looking forward to it."

And the Wildcats might not have too much ground to make up.

"I mean, they're right there. I have a top four but I'm still really looking at (Kentucky). I just put out a top four but I basically consider them in the top group," he said.

Not surprisingly Vince Marrow is a big reason for that.

"I've talked to him about three or four times," Pinckney said of Marrow. "I've known him for a while. He's a family friend. He's just a great guy. He's really straight forward and a comfortable guy to be around. We've known him for a while. He's been in Toledo and he's coached up here.

"He's the recruiter for my area and we've just been trying to plan a time for me to get down there. I'm going with my mom."

The Sylvania (Ohio) Southview prospect said he's hoping to learn more about Kentucky when he visits the school for the first time. Since he already "basically" considers Kentucky part of his top group of schools he noted that the Wildcats could easily crack that top four.

Rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, Pinckney is the No. 55 rising senior in the state of Ohio.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1525293
JUCO receiver Kurtz not tipping his hand

Justin Rowland

There isn't a shortage of speedy slot receivers on Kentucky's recruiting board but the Wildcats are also looking to add a receiver or two with some size. Nick Kurtz could be part of the solution.

Kurtz is one of the top junior college prospects in the nation and is a four-star wide receiver recruit with offers from schools all over the nation.

Since junior college prospects can take official visits before high school prospects can, Kurtz has been able to make stops at BYU and Kansas. That leaves three official visit slots remaining. Kurtz has also taken an unofficial visit to Southern Cal. He plans to graduated from El Cajon (Calif.) Grossmont C.C. in December so he can enroll a semester early.

The 6-foot-6, 205-pound receiver is doing everything he can not to tip his hand, so don't expect him to discuss the process at length or in great detail. In fact, he's keeping quiet about almost everything.

"I'm just kinda letting time go by and whatever happens happens," he said. "I want to take all five of my visits but I don't know yet. I'm not giving anything away yet."

To that end Kurtz declined to say which schools have been recruiting him the hardest, much less which schools he has the most interest in.

He did acknowledge that Kentucky is one of the schools still on his radar.

"I do still talk to the coach so that's still a possibility for sure," Kurtz said.

And Kurtz also gave a little insight into what he will be looking for when he's making his decision, which could shed some light on which schools have the most to offer him.

"Coming out of a junior college it's a different process than if you're coming out of a high school. You want to look where you can have an immediate shot at playing, where you can get a great education and win as much as possible," he said.

Kurtz has been clocked at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash and carries a 3.6 grade point average at Grossmont C.C.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1525288
FSU commit plans official visit

Justin Rowland

Kentucky has been staying in regular contact with two verbal commitments for Florida State and one is already planning to take an official visit to Lexington.

Linebacker Delvin Purifoy is committed to Jimbo Fisher's program and he has long been coveted by the Wildcats, but wide receiver C.J. Worton is also on UK's radar. He visited Lexington earlier in the summer and while that was on a trip with some friends, including Tyre Brady and Antwan Cordy, it was also eye-opening for Worton.

"There's some interest there just because of the coaching staff. They're real cool," Worton said. "I like the new renovations they're making and I'm interested in what it's going to look at.

"The Air Raid offense is big too. That really pulls attention to them in my mind."

Jimmy Brumbaugh has been recruiting the Homestead (Fla.) South Dade receiver for the Wildcats.

"He's the main coach I've been in contact with and he was just showing us around the facilities," Worton said.

Worton said his is a "stronger commitment" to Florida State but he's trying to keep his options open. He has visited the Tallahassee school countless times and grew up a fan of the program.

"I've been going to camps (at Florida State) since I was in the eighth grade when they were recruiting my brother. I got to know the coaching staff then," he said.

But he's keeping his other options open and right now those other options include Central Florida, South Florida and Western Michigan. He's also in touch with Miami as well as Kentucky of course.

"I'm planning on taking an official visit (to Kentucky) with Tyre and Antwan after our season," he concluded.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526088
WR Beal hoping to make college decision soon

Justin Rowland

Emanuel Beal wants to commit to a school before too long but that doesn't mean his recruitment will necessarily end.

When Cats Illustrated caught up with the three-star receiver from Powder Springs (Ga.) Hillgrove he sounded like someone that didn't want to let the process drag on too much longer.

The only recent recruiting event that Beal participated in was Dawg Night, a camp at Georgia. Beal has been hoping the Bulldogs would offer for a while now and he doesn't sound too optimistic that it will happen.

"I did alright for there to be as many people as there were," Beal said. "I talked to (the coaches) during and before (the camp) but afterwards my parents wanted to leave so I had to head out. I guess they're pretty interested but it's tough to tell."

There's no doubt that other schools are interested. Beal said Kansas State, Missouri, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Central Florida and N.C. State are recruiting him harder than anyone else and those schools are currently at the top of his list.

Beal even admitted that a couple of those schools are standing out at the very top of his list, and he may even have a clear favorite. Just don't expect him to tell you about it.

"I'm not ready to say that yet," he said with a laugh.

Kentucky has made a good impression on Beal over the course of the process and he has as much interest in the Wildcats as is possible without actually having visited Lexington.

"I like the offense," he said. "They run the Air Raid and for a receiver there's nothing better than getting the ball in your hands."

Derrick Ansley is Beal's recruiter and the three-star prospect said the UK assistant has come across well so far. Beal said he was supposed to visit Kentucky this summer but now he's not sure if that will happen.

"I should probably take an official up there though," he said. "I'm ready to get it over with but even if I do (commit somewhere soon) then I still might take my officials."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1525574
Linebacker Baker could be nearing offer

Justin Rowland

Cleveland Heights (Ohio) receiver Dorian Baker is up to ten offers and he's hoping his eleventh is from Kentucky.

Baker will have a prime opportunity to earn that Kentucky offer this weekend. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver will be camping in Lexington this weekend when so many other top prospects and commits are planning to be in town.

Vince Marrow has been recruiting Baker on the Cats' behalf and the three-star receiver said the two have been in contact since January. In the last six months Baker estimates he has spoke with Marrow "maybe over 20 times," and there's a clear comfort level there. That's helping the Cats.

"He comes across as a father figure. I could see myself coming to him if I have a problem," Baker said. "He was just telling me they're a passing team, an Air Raid team. He said if I want the ball then I should come there."

Baker will continue driving south after the UK camp. He plans to stop off at Tennessee's camp the next day. Neither school has offered but both are showing serious interest.

It's easy to understand why. Baker's bench max is better than 300 pounds and he told Cats Illustrated that his best 40-yard dash time was 4.44 seconds. Not bad for a big target.

Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt are among the schools that have offered. Baker said the Hoosiers have probably recruited him the hardest to date.

"I actually prefer the SEC," Baker said. "I just want to go somewhere warm and my uncle played in the SEC at Florida back in the day."

Baker said he had 673 receiving yards as a junior. He also registered 66 tackles on the defensive side of the ball as a linebacker.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1525584
Cats apparently cooling in pursuit of DE Coleman

Justin Rowland

Tyler J.C. (Tex.) defensive end William Coleman reported an offer from Kentucky earlier this year but more recently interest seems to have tapered off.

That has been a disappointment for Coleman, a 6-foot-6, 250-pound defensive end.

While Kentucky put together a very impressive signing class of defensive linemen in February the position has been a priority once again this year. With commitments from Tymere Dubose, Denzel Ware and Adrian Middleton already the Wildcats have gone a long way towards addressing that need, especially with others like Matt Elam, Cory Johnson, and Vanderbilt commitment Lloyd Tubman still on the radar.

Coleman's scholarship could be a casualty of the Wildcats' early recruiting success.

"It's been a long time since I've talked to them," Coleman said. "They offered me so maybe the interest is there. I just haven't talked to them. I don't really know what they're thinking about me."

The three-star defensive lineman has been in more contact with other schools of late. He will visit North Texas on July 25 and two days later on July 27 he will visit Texas Tech. Coleman claims offers from both of those schools as well as Southern Miss and Memphis.

If Kentucky wants start up the communication once again Coleman would be receptive.

"I would have interest, we just haven't been in contact. It doesn't put me in a good position but it's still mutual (interest). It's just that more schools have been coming in. I've been talking to Alabama and Auburn. I guess (Kentucky) just fell off. I was high on them though," Coleman said.

Coleman told Cats Illustrated that some schools have even told him that they could see him as an outside linebacker with the potential to put his hand in the right in the right scheme.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526306
UK should get visit from JUCO lineman Townes

Justin Rowland

Kentucky is one of two BCS conference schools that have offered a scholarship to Clarksdale (Miss.) Coahoma C.C. offensive tackle Sylvester Townes and the Wildcats should be able to secure an official visit.

West Virginia is the other BCS school that has offered the 6-foot-6, 285-pound tackle but Townes noted that he does not have any favorites yet. That will be determined over the course of the next few months as Townes plans to take his official visits and compare the schools that have offered or will offer down the road.

Townes acknowledged that Kentucky's SEC affiliation could work in their favor.

"It matters a lot," he said. "They play against top guys basically every week. A school like Alabama for example. They win national championships (in the SEC). That's what I want to do, just play against top guys."

However to date Townes said Western Kentucky and Memphis have also impressed him. He visited both of those schools and Middle Tennessee just this past weekend, so he knows more about those schools than Kentucky or West Virginia so far.

Jimmy Brumbaugh coached at the junior college level just before taking his current position in Lexington and he has recruited a good number of junior college recruits for the Wildcats in the past eight months. He is the coach currently responsible for recruiting Townes.

"He's come off as a great guy. He was telling me how Kentucky is and how they're on the rise and everything. As far as coaching-wise he seemed great and he's a very good guy," Townes said.

Brumbaugh has come across so well that Townes is already thinking about an official visit to UK.

"We were planning on trying to somehow get me up there on (an official visit) this summer but they had to clear it with the NCAA. I don't think they have so I'm probably going in the fall. I guess when I was talking to him about a month ago they didn't know if it would be cleared," he said.

Townes has seven offers altogether. He graduated from high school in Memphis (Tenn.) two years ago.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526309
McPeek could become 2015 priority for Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Fairview offensive tackle Cody McPeek has performed exceptionally well on the camp circuit this year and many seem to be wondering whether Kentucky will offer down the road.

That's a question that will have to remain unanswered for now but the 6-foot-3, 317-pound rising junior lineman has noticed an uptick in the amount of attention he is receiving from the Wildcats.

This summer McPeek has attended camps at Duke, Kentucky, Purdue and Charlotte. He has also attended Rivals camp events in Cincinnati and in Texas at the national event. McPeek drew high praise for his performance in Cincinnati, where he matched up and held his own against a lot of top older talent.

"I did very good in Cincinnati," McPeek said. "There were a lot of older guys there and that was a good one for me. Down in Texas I did good too."

Regional analyst Jason Howell ranked McPeek the fifth-best underclassman without offers who attended the Rivals event.

McPeek told Cats Illustrated that the coaches at Purdue and Charlotte seemed especially interested when he visited.

"Kentucky has started to show more interest now but during the camp they didn't. Duke has shown a little bit (of interest)," he said.

The Ashland native did not grow up a Kentucky fan but he also noted that he "never rooted against them," so childhood allegiances shouldn't have too much of an impact on the Cats' chances. So far he has been in contact with offensive coordinator Neal Brown, who runs UK's in-state recruiting efforts, and offensive line coach John Schlarman.

"I love coach Schlarman's offensive line coaching," he said. "I like coach Brown, too. He's pretty laid back."

McPeek received an academic award at the University of Kentucky more than a week ago and that gave him the opportunity to tour the campus. He wants to major in engineering so seeing that aspect of what the school can offer was important.

"That's what I want to do and I think they have a good program. They have all the stuff I want to do there," he said. "Purdue and Charlotte have great (engineering schools). Purdue is number one and Charlotte is top five."

The 2015 prospect told Cats Illustrated that he does not have a favorite and indicated that no schools are standing out.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526308
Four-star JUCO tackle picks Kentucky

Justin Rowland

As first reported by Cats Illustrated early Saturday afternoon four-star defensive tackle Cory Johnson has committed to Kentucky.

Multiple sources confirmed the four-star prospect's commitment to the Wildcats on Saturday. Johnson was not immediately available for comment but Mark Stoops' signature "Yahtzee" tweet seemed to serve as public confirmation.

Johnson, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound defensive tackle, had been listing Miami and Kentucky as his two favorites in the weeks prior to his trip to Kentucky. He had told Cats Illustrated that he was planning to visit UK this weekend as well as later in the year for an official visit.

In June he spoke with Cats Illustrated and praised defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh.

"I like him a lot," Johnson said. "We talk all the time so I already feel as if I can trust his word. He just seems like a good coach who cares about his players.

"(He's talked about) how they have the number one signing class so far and about the guys he has leaving. And his defensive line scheme, and a lot about the school and all the help I could get."

Johnson's commitment pushes Kentucky back to third in the Rivals.com team rankings.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526985
On a side note, Cory Johnson's commitment makes the 6th 4* commitment for the 2014 recruiting class alone. Before Stoops, we only had 6 four star commits from the 2009-2012 recruiting classes!
California LB open to Kentucky despite commitment

Justin Rowland

For all of Kentucky's recruiting success since Mark Stoops took over California and the west coast in general have remained largely untapped.

With the exception of junior college defensive tackle Melvin Lewis who signed as a member of last year's class Kentucky has largely stayed away from the west coast. There are some exceptions, but most of the Cats' efforts have been focused on other parts of the country.

Tustin (Calif.) Vista Murrieta linebacker Greg Hoyd has been committed to Washington State since May and while he's solid with Mike Leach's program he isn't ruling out other schools. Especially one from the SEC.

"I'm talking to Coach Stoops right now and I started talking to him during spring ball. I recently got back in touch with him. He hit me up and we've been going back and forth about how things are looking," Hoyd said. "He said he'd talk to me on Thursday and it's pretty much an offer."

Kentucky already has four linebackers on board in this recruiting class and sources have indicated they will only add a fifth if they can find a prospect they are very high on.

Hoyd has some interest in Kentucky. But how much?

"Coach Stoops seems like a good coach and he knows what he wants to do with his program. Kentucky is in the SEC so that's big," Hoyd said. "It's attractive to me. It's still kinda far. I'm liking the love and everything. Coach Stoops, I'm loving him. I've still got a long senior year to go and I could still change my mind. He's just telling me things.

"I'm solid right now but I'm going into my senior year and if people want to keep coming at me and talking to me then that's great. A lot of things can go up or down from here."

Hoyd is ranked the No. 53 prospect in California according to Rivals.com. Prior to his commitment to Washington State he also received offers from Duke, Fresno State, NC State and Utah among others.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1526311
Taylor trims his list to three

Josh Helmholdt
Recruiting Analyst

Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Ready offensive tackle Brady Taylor is days away from announcing his college selection, and in preparation has trimmed his list of five favorites down to a final three schools.

"I have it pretty much down to Virginia Tech, Kentucky and West Virginia," Taylor reported. "With Ohio State not offering it is hard to pick that school. Then, at Pittsburgh I love their coaches, I just would rather be at the other three places."

With the top contenders now set, Taylor is also zeroing in on when he will announce his decision.

"I'm looking at next Monday," he said. "I am probably going to have family and friends over and make a decision. I don't exactly know where I am going yet, but I am getting there."

Part of getting close to knowing where he is going is the result of recent, and potentially upcoming, college campus visits. This past weekend he made his second visit of the recruiting process to Kentucky.

"Talking with the commits there, they wanted me to come down and hang out with them," Taylor said. "They had a 7-on-7 camp going on so I watched that for a little bit, then I just talked with Coach [Vince] Marrow and hung out with the commits. I was with Drew Barker, T.V. Williams, Matt Elam and Braxton Berrios was on campus.

"Denzel Ware, Thaddeus Snodgrass and Mikel Horton were all there, but towards the end of the night I was mostly spending time with Elam and T.V. Williams. Darius West was there too. All three of them were really cool. We were really just hanging out and being teenage kids. We talked a lot about recruiting earlier in the day."

Kentucky has now made their last pitch before Taylor decides, and he is considering getting one more look at either West Virginia or Virginia Tech before Monday as well.

"I might try to get down to West Virginia - they have a little camp going on - or maybe go to Virginia Tech," Taylor said. "I have to talk to their parents and see what their schedule is, but that's definitely something I want to do."

Taylor noted he has a similar relationship with Virginia Tech's commits as he does with the Kentucky commits. Whether either of those influences pays off for their respective schools will be seen when the 6-foot-5, 264-pound tackle announces next week.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/con...&PT=4&PR=2
UK extends offer to 2015 TE Harris

Justin Rowland

Montgomery (Ala.) St. James tight end Jalen Harris attended Kentucky's camp on Friday evening and after turning in a stellar performance he added an offer from the Wildcats.

It wasn't Harris' first offer. Southern Miss gave him that earlier in the process.

But it was the first SEC offer for the 6-foot-4, 248-pound prospect. The 2015 recruit has heard from several of Kentucky's league foes including in-state schools Alabama and Auburn. He has been to both of those schools plus Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Georgia this summer.

Schools are recruiting Harris primarily as a tight end but he told Cats Illustrated that coaches have indicated he could easily grow into an offensive or defensive lineman. After all, he won't be playing college football for more than two years.

Harris said it's too early to list any favorites but the Cats have made an outstanding impression early.

"Not as of right now," he said when asked of favorites. "But I do have a lot of interest in Kentucky.

"(I) loved it. Great coaching staff and fan base. I need to get up there again soon."

Harris primarily spoke with Derrick Ansley and Vince Marrow while he was on campus.

"Really great coaches and even better people. I like them a lot," he added.

The 2015 prospect did indicate just a week ago that Auburn was at the top of his list after he visited the Plains.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1527400
Brady Taylor is deciding next Monday at 4 PM. UK, VT and another team, I believe WVU.

Jeff Drumond tweeted that Drew Barker's recruitment has been his personaility but also his arm. Said he heard from some of the WR's at the camp that they were extremely impressed with how Barker was throwing the ball
Strikeout King Wrote:Brady Taylor is deciding next Monday at 4 PM. UK, VT and another team, I believe WVU.

Jeff Drumond tweeted that Drew Barker's recruitment has been his personaility but also his arm. Said he heard from some of the WR's at the camp that they were extremely impressed with how Barker was throwing the ball

Yeah, you're right. Those are the three teams.

Drew Barker was really impressive at the Elite 11 camp as well as at "The Opening" Nike Camp.
Another bit of good news. Justin Rowland from Rivals tweeted out that he feels that Kentucky will get at least 3 more 4 star recruits with the possibility of up to 5 more 4 star recruits when it's all said and done for the 2014 recruiting class.

I hope he is right but, as a Kentucky football fan, it is crazy to think that we could have 9 four star recruits in one recruiting class!! Say nothing of the possibility of having up to 11 in one class!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23