Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2014 UK Football Recruiting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
What time is his announcement?
J-Rod Wrote:What time is his announcement?

According to the tweet that he sent out last Friday, it will be around 3:30 p.m.
McPeek already drawing major recruiting interest

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

All eyes are on Drew Barker this week. After he makes his decision on Friday observers of the prep scene will turn their focus to Matt Elam.

It's not too early to look beyond those two and at the Class of 2015.

It is far too early to rank the top sophomores in the state but Cody McPeek made a big statement with a fantastic showing at the Rivals Camp in Cincinnati.

The 6-foot-3, 319-pound guard was ranked the No. 4 underclassman at that event, positioning himself well for the next few months.

"I felt like I could do better but I did pretty good," McPeek said. "I'm pretty good with my feet so I guess the drills were pretty good. The one-on-ones were pretty good, too."

Fairview's school year ends the middle of this month and that's around the time when several colleges are planning to stop by and check McPeek out. Kentucky is among the schools that are expected to show up.

McPeek has visited "seven or eight" schools so far by his own estimation and he said trips to Kentucky, Ohio State, West Virginia, North Carolina and N.C. State have stood out. While the Wildcats will be making the case that he ought to stay close to home, assuming they offer, McPeek didn't grow up a UK fan.

"My dad always liked Notre Dame so I cheer for them," he said. "My mom kinda wants me to stay close to home it's not that big a deal at all."

Even though McPeek didn't grow up donning the blue and white he might be coming around, at least in a small way. He visited Kentucky for the Wildcats' spring game and had a great time. He at least knows that he's impressed with the coaching staff.

"I liked their offensive line coach (John Schlarman) a lot. I liked the offensive coordinator (Neal Brown) a lot, too."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1504255
Berrios' coach updates wide receiver's recruitment

Justin Rowland

Braxton Berrios is a humble guy and he's just enjoying his remaining time as a high school student at Raleigh (N.C.) Leesville Road.

His coaches and teammates appreciate his single-mindedness as it relates to preparation for his senior year, but it can also make it difficult to get a read on where Berrios might be leaning.

His coach, Chad Smothers, spoke with Cats Illustrated early this week and went over some of the latest developments with his 5-foot-9, 180-pound four-star receiver.

"It's been a steady flow," Smothers said of the college coaches that have been visiting his school lately. "Kentucky was down last Tuesday. Tennessee came by Friday. Georgia Tech's been by. South Carolina was up about two weeks ago. East Carolina has been once and they're coming again. N.C. State's been over. Wake Forest, West Virginia, Virginia Tech.

"There's been some others like Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina. Duke's been over. North Carolina's been over. Braxton went over there (to North Carolina) in January and toured the school. Ohio State came down."

Needless to say both Smothers and Berrios have been busy with all of that attention. It's tough to sort through the recruiting process when so many schools have offered and so many others are showing serious interest.

UK receivers coach Tommy Mainord visited North Carolina last week and Leesville Road was one of his most important stops.

"We spent some time together," Smothers said of Mainord. "He actually came during a 7-on-7 skill development workout and we got to chat for a while. He was really complimentary of Braxton and really thinks he can fit into Kentucky's system and be a special player.

"Coming from Texas Tech, of course Braxton's always compared to Wes Welker. Everybody thinks he can be that kind of dynamic kid. Kentucky's expressed a tremendous amount of interest in him."

All that interest could be paying off. Berrios hasn't thought through all of his summer plans but a trip to Lexington appears to be in the works.

"I think Braxton will probably work Kentucky in early this summer when we get out of school," Smothers said. "Down here in North Carolina we go to school 'til June 10. I think Braxton's supposed to go to Ohio State sometime around then."

Anyone on Twitter knows that Berrios and Drew Barker communicate from time to time, and with Barker scheduled to make his decision on Friday it's fair to wonder whether his choice could impact Berrios, especially considering that he has offers from UK and South Carolina.

Smothers doesn't know what impact Barker's decision could have on Berrios mostly "because (he) doesn't keep up with Twitter," he said with a laugh.

"He tries to keep everything kinda down low," Smothers said. "Well, maybe not down low but he's humble and unless I ask him specifically about something he's not going to volunteer, 'Hey coach, I'm doing this or that.' He tries to keep it realistic and right now Braxton plays for Leesville Road High School and he wants to maintain that with his teammates and coaches.

"I have talked with him about us sitting down and getting a top five for his own benefit. I think that's probably coming in the mid-summer after he gets a chance to visit Kentucky, Tennessee and other places. It's kinda hard to formulate a top five when he's never stepped foot on places like Kentucky, Tennessee or West Virginia. It's hard to include them and it's hard not to include them," he concluded.

Smothers added that the academic side of Berrios' decision is very important and will weigh heavily as a big factor.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1504434
J-Rod Wrote:What time is his announcement?

LeeCoUKFan Wrote:According to the tweet that he sent out last Friday, it will be around 3:30 p.m.

Just to add to that, I have heard that the announcement will be streamed on live radio on 100.3 The Fan out of Cincinnati tomorrow at 3:30. I haven't heard if there is going to be a live video stream like there was for the Timmons announcement. If anyone hears anything, please let us know.

http://fm100thefan.com/
Kentucky extends two JUCO offers plus more recruiting notes

- Kentucky has offered two more Juco prospects. Cory Johnson, a 6’3, 295 lb DT from ASA College in Brooklyn New York. Miami, NC State, Rutgers and Temple are his other offers. The other is Quintavious Knight, a 6′, 170 lb CB from Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, GA. Cincinnati, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and WVU are his other offers.

- Kentucky has also offered Lukayus McNeil, a 6’6, 255 lb OT from Decatur Central HS in Indianapolis, IN. Indiana, Louisville, Purdue and Cincinnati are some of his other offers.

- Kyle Phillips, a 6’4, 250 lb DE from Hillsboro HS in Nashville, TN picked up an offer today from UK. He is a class of 2015 prospect. Tennessee and Clemson both offered yesterday.

- Kentucky visited Georgia CB Nick Ruffin and Georgia Safety Nick Glass today. They also visited Indianapolis, IN LB Brandon Lee. All have UK offers.

- UK was also one of the schools at Norcross HS in Georgia today. Norcross always has D1 talent. This year, the big prize is five star DE Lorenzo Carter. He and teammate, LB Kevin Mouhon both have offers from Kentucky.

- One under the radar prospect that recently received a visit from UK Asst. Derrick Ansley is Jon Michael Edwards, a 6’4, 230 lb DE from Carver HS in Montgomery, AL. Alabama St, South Alabama and Northern Illinois are his only offers to this point. Auburn and Mississippi State are also showing interest.

http://oneclicksportsnow.com/kentucky-ex...ing-notes/
Caught the back end of KSR this morning and Matt Jones said that they will be streaming the Drew Barker announcement live at 3:30 as well. Not sure if it is going to be video and audio or just audio.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/
UK made a recent visit to Nelson at North Laurel.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Conner High School quarterback Drew Barker is set to make his college announcement on Friday and fans can watch LIVE on wkyt.com beginning at 3:30 p.m.

Barker is rated a 4-star recruit in the class of 2014. South Carolina and Kentucky are thought to be the leaders in the recruiting battle for Barker. Tennessee is also a finalist.

Barker completed 140 of 225 passes (62.2 percent) for 2,067 yards and 22 touchdowns with just seven interceptions last season for Conner (9-3), and he rushed for 1,422 yards and 18 TDs, averaging 6.5 yards per carry

You can watch the Drew Barker announcement at http://www.wkyt.com/livestream

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/uk/headlines/...Y07jrWyDfd
Drew Barker is officially a Kentucky Wildcat and becomes our 6th commit and 3rd 4-star commit in the young 2014 recruiting season.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Drew Barker is officially a Kentucky Wildcat and becomes our 6th commit and 3rd 4-star commit in the young 2014 recruiting season.
Who's next? Derek Kief? Mike Edwards? Braxton Berrios?
Blue Chrome Wrote:Who's next? Derek Kief? Mike Edwards? Braxton Berrios?

During the interview, he listed all those guys as recruits that were waiting to see where he goes. It has already been stated that once Barker made his decision there would be a domino effect. I know I have heard that Braxton Berrios is very close with Barker and would most likely be attended the same school that Barker chose. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next week or so.
Kentucky lands Rivals250 quarterback

T.J. Walker and Justin Rowland
CatsIllustrated.com Staff

HEBRON, Ky. - It was arguably the most anticipated football recruiting story line in Kentucky since the Tim Couch days. The result was a huge win for the Wildcats.

Burlington (Ky.) Conner quarterback Drew Barker committed to Kentucky at a ceremony at his school on Friday, turning down offers from finalists South Carolina and Tennessee.

"This has been a very difficult decision, but I feel the university I'm choosing is the best overall fit for me academically, athletically and socially," Barker said. "So with that being said, I'll be pursuing my football career at the University of Kentucky."

Barker's decision to attend UK would have been unimaginable just six months ago. The previous coaching staff in Lexington had not made him a recruiting priority even though Barker grew up as a big Kentucky basketball fan.

The four-star quarterback had written the Wildcats off and was working on a two-year long relationship with Steve Spurrier, G.A. Mangus and the South Carolina coaching staff.

Kentucky's recruiting fortunes have drastically changed for better since Mark Stoops took over the program late last year, but Barker's commitment is undoubtedly the biggest to date. Not only is he the nation's No. 6 pro-style quarterback, but he is also connected to many of Kentucky's other top recruiting targets in Ohio and up and down the east coast.

The 6-foot-3, 214-pound prospect was rated the No. 4 quarterback at all of the Rivals camp events this spring. In addition to his finalists he had accumulated offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Louisville, Miami, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Purdue and Vanderbilt among others.

While other high-profile quarterbacks had expressed interest in UK, including four-star prospects D.J. Gillins from Florida and DeShone Kizer from Ohio, the Wildcats had narrowed their focus exclusively to Barker, making his decision that much more important for the program.

Barker visited the school several times in the early part of this year, most recently for the UK spring game. Offensive coordinator Neal Brown is credited with the win as he served as the Wildcats' lead recruiter throughout the process.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1504724
With the commitment of Drew Barker this afternoon, Kentucky now has the 18th overall recruiting class and the 8th ranked class in the SEC.
He's guaranteeing a Top 10-15 2014 class...

I like this kid already.
I think that Derek Kief maybe the next commit. He would give us a Big Target for Barker to throw to over the next 3 to 4 years.
Florida corner wide open, including to UK

Justin Rowland

Chris Lammons is one of the top cornerbacks in the South and last week Kentucky became one of the latest schools to offer him.

The Wildcats might have some ground to make up if Lammons' upcoming visit plans are any indication. At the very least other schools have a head start, and when you are recruiting against SEC schools that can be difficult to overcome.

"I've visited the Florida Gators already," Lammons said. "I'll visit Miami. I'll visit Alabama out of state. I'll visit South Carolina and Tennessee too. I'll probably have some visits coming up in the summer but I don't know exactly. That's just kind of where I want to visit."

Kentucky, Arkansas and Bowling Green are the latest schools to offer the 5-foot-9, 168-pound cornerback from Plantation (Fla.). Lammons insists he is keeping an open mind.

"Right now everybody's even. I'm wide open," he said.

Kentucky coaches are blanketing the state of Florida this week and the Cats have made it clear that they want Lammons to at least consider a visit.

"They've told me that they're evaluating me. The coaches loved my film and they wanted me to get up there. I think I'm going to get up there. I don't know when but that's (a visit) I want to take. I've just talked to them once and they came by (the school) but I'll look more into them," he said.

Lammons was one of the top defensive backs at the IMG/NFA 7-on-7 in Bradenton (Fla.) last month.

Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ole Miss, Ohio State, South Carolina and Tennessee are among the other schools that have offered.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1504879
Welcome to the BBN Kobie Walker. 7th commit
UK lands verbal from Maryland S/OLB

Kobie Walker
By Jeff Drummond
Publisher
Posted May 13, 2013

Share on twitter Share on facebook | More Sharing ServicesMore

Kentucky picked up its seventh verbal commitment in the football Class of 2014 on Monday when three-star Maryland safety/outside linebacker Kobie Walker gave his pledge to the Wildcats.

Kentucky picked up its seventh verbal commitment in the football Class of 2014 on Monday when three-star Maryland safety/outside linebacker Kobie Walker gave his pledge to the Wildcats.

Announcing his decision via the Twitter social network, Walker (@BeyyondBelief) said: "Proud to announce my commitment to The University of Kentucky. #BBN #GOBLUE."

Walker (6-3, 195) plays for Good Counsel, one of the top talent-producing prep schools in mid-Atlantic region. As a junior, he recorded three interceptions and two forced fumbles.

He was also considering scholarship offers from Miami, Boston College, N.C. State, Syracuse, Rutgers and Wisconsin.

"I really loved (UK) during my visit," Walker said. "I was down there for the spring game, and it was just amazing. They had over 50,000 people there. I was blown away by the support they had, the energy of the coaches and players, and how nice and welcoming all the people were. I really thought about committing then, but I wanted to come back home and think about it a little bit."

Walker is being recruited by UK assistant coach Tommy Mainord. He is Mainord's first verbal commitment for the Cats.

"He's a really down-to-earth guy," Walker said. "I liked all of their coaches. It's a great coaching staff."

The job that Mark Stoops and D.J. Eliot did in helping Florida State become one of the nation's top defensive units the last two years was also a strong selling point for Walker.

"That was big," he said. "Those guys have a great track record of developing guys and helping you get better.

"I also liked their plan for me as an outside linebacker. I play safety right now, but they think I'm going to grow some more and get bigger, so they see me as one of the fastest linebackers around."

Walker's versatility was what caught the eye of the UK staff when he was initially offered a scholarship.

"They love how I can rush the quarterback or drop back into coverage on the slot guy but at the same time still be physical and aggressive against the run," he said.

Kentucky did not sign any linebackers in February. They will be a priority in next year's class, and Walker said he plans to get a leg up on the competition.

"I plan on graduating early and getting down there for spring practice," he said. "They told me how they don't have much depth at all right now, and if I come in and learn the system and work hard in the spring, there's a good chance I could compete for a starting job. That's what I want to do."

Walker predicts big things in the future of Kentucky football. Like many of the Cats' other targets, he's been keeping a close eye on the recruiting scene.

"I hung out with a bunch of them at the spring game, and you could just sense that something big was about to happen there," he said. "We've stayed in touch through text messages or direct messages on Twitter, stuff like that. There's just so much excitement about that program right now. I can't wait to get there and be part of it."
DB Godfrey open to leaving Florida for college

Justin Rowland

Many of the top prospects in the state of Florida don't give any serious thought to leaving the state. They might go through the process, but at the end of the day some just want to stay home.

When you have three powerhouse programs in your home state that have combined to win ten national championships in the modern era it's easy to understand why that would be the case.

Others are more open to the possibility of leaving the state and even playing for an upstart program. Those are the prospects Kentucky is targeting in Florida. Andre Godfrey is one of those players and the 5-foot-10, 182-pound defensive back from Miramar (Fla.) is giving serious thought to Kentucky.

"Kentucky is the most recent (offer) I got. I got that a few days ago," Godfrey said. "Besides that I've got Western Michigan, Rutgers, Boston College and Louisville recently just to name a few."

Those offers are added to his previous list which included South Florida, UCLA, West Virginia and Washington State.

Jimmy Brumbaugh is recruiting Godfrey's area for Kentucky and he's made a positive impression on the three-star prospect already even though they have only spoken on three separate occasions.

"Coach Jimmy is a cool, laid back guy. He's real down to earth," Godfrey said. "I can talk to him about anything. He's like an uncle I'd say.

"He's talked to me about how they lost a couple of senior DB's and they're looking to rebuild. He's the defensive line coach and the defensive backs help the D-Line tremendously. He said it's a young team and he's looking for me to come in and play."

Even though local schools and some big name SEC programs are showing interest in Godfrey he's interested in Kentucky. It's more about relationships and opportunity.

"I would definitely be interested in Kentucky. I don't really care too much about the big-name school thing so long as I like the coaches and I can play early," he said.

Godfrey has spent time around the Miami program and earlier this year he said an offer from the Hurricanes would put them near the top of his list, but he has consistently maintained that he does not have any favorites. He is likely to start to set up summer visits in the weeks ahead and a trip to Kentucky is a distinct possibility.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505214
JUCO CB Fenteng drawing interest from Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Hutchinson Community College in Kansas is home to Shattle Fenteng, a 6-foot-2 cornerback with a growing offer list that includes Kentucky.

Tommy Mainord has been in contact with Fenteng for the past month and the Wildcats recently extended an offer.

"He's told me that they're a new coaching staff there and they have a good recruiting class coming in," Fenteng said. "He told me if I come in I would start right away for them. I like him a lot. He seems like a good coach. I also like coach (Derrick) Ansley, the cornerbacks coach. I talk to him a lot on Twitter."

Fenteng said it's too early to tell for sure but he thinks he will take an official visit to Kentucky.

Ole Miss, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State, Louisiana Lafayette and Georgia State are the other schools that have offered the junior college corner.

Not surprisingly, that's some of the same competition the Wildcats faced off against for junior college prospects Javess Blue and Nate Willis in the last recruiting cycle.

Tennessee and Georgia are also showing interest in Fenteng. Two years ago he was a high school prospect from Grayson High School in Georgia.

"I had offers from Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. I was talking to UGA too but schools stopped talking to me when they found out I wasn't going to qualify," he said.

Fenteng said he does not have any favorites. Ole Miss was the first school to offer this time around and the Rebels are recruiting him as a defensive back that could play safety or cornerback.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505343
New commit Walker fell in love with UK on visit

Justin Rowland

Kobie Walker made his first trip to Kentucky for the Wildcats' spring game, and it didn't take him long to decide where he wanted to attend college.

On Monday, he made it official, committing to the Wildcats.

Walker got to know Drew Barker and Thaddeus Snodgrass while he was at the spring game.

"I just fell in love with the school from the time I stepped foot on the campus at the spring game," Walker said. "The academics and the football program. The coaches, the recruits and the players. I just fell in love with it right away.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect played strong safety and outside linebacker for Olney (Md.) Our Lady of Good Counsel last year, one of the east coast's top high school football programs.

Kentucky has not had much success recruiting in the Mid-Atlantic region and the commitment is a big win for UK assistant coach Tommy Mainord, Walker's primary recruiter.

"He was a big reason for my commitment to be honest," Walker said. "He's just a real laid back guy, a guy that you can trust."

Walker expects to play more linebacker this year, a position he believes has been best for him all along.

"That's the position I played before I even got to high school. I feel like I can do everything. I can rush the passer, I can cover. I'm one of the more athletic linebackers you'll see."

Arizona, Boston College, Miami, NC State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse and Wisconsin were among the other schools that had offered Walker.

Walker is UK's second linebacker commitment, joining Dorian Hendrix.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505484
With the commitment of Kobie Walker, Kentucky now has the 15th overall recruiting class in the country and 7th in the SEC.
Recruits react to Barker's Kentucky commitment

Justin Rowland

Kentucky wanted Drew Barker because they felt he was the most talented quarterback on its board and someone the Wildcats can build their program around.

There was the added bonus of parlaying his commitment into recruiting momentum that could help with other recruits.

The reaction from other Wildcat pledges and targets alike has been universally positive with many taking to Twitter and social networking sites to voice their excitement.

Some even texted Cats Illustrated to give their thoughts on what Barker's commitment meant for Kentucky.

"I was excited for him," linebacker Dorian Hendrix said. "I already knew kinda (that he would commit) just by hanging with him in Lexington. I could tell he'd be a Cat eventually. I think he's a great pick up."

Another Ohio commit, Mikel Horton, also said Barker's commitment bodes well for the future of the program.

"It's a great day for UK," Horton said. "He brings talent that UK needed. I think we're going to have the best offense in the SEC."

Darryl Long expressed similar sentiments.

"It's huge. It's a QB for me," he said with a laugh. "And he's going to attract a lot of other big-time recruits."

Even recruits that have not committed to UK were impressed with the addition. Four-star receiver Blake Bone of South Carolina is considering the Wildcats and Gamecocks, so Barker's choice could reasonably have been expected to have some impact on him.

"We talked about UK a lot," Bone said of himself and Barker. "He's pretty nice at his position and he's trying to do big things in Lexington. I've got much respect for that kid and I love the sound of the Air Raid."

Four-star Georgia running back Stanley Williams plans on making a decision in the next month and Kentucky is on his short list.

"It's a big get for UK Nation!" he said via text.

And one of Williams' friends, four-star cornerback and Georgia commit Nick Glass, said, "That was a huge pickup."

John Hardin defensive tackle Matt Elam may be the state's second-best prospect and Barker's decision is something he took note of as well.

"We've been talking about it for like two weeks and he told me it was between South Carolina and UK," he said. "He he felt the better vibe at UK. Now he has been on me hard trying to (get him to) go there so we've just got to wait and see what happens."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505754
Meadows looks to pave way for Horton at UK

Justin Rowland

Kyle Meadows has a lot to look forward to these days. Not only is the former West Chester (Ohio) Lakota West lineman preparing to enroll at Kentucky, but he now knows he will be reunited with a former teammate.

Meadows was UK's top offensive line commit from the Class of 2013 and he has stayed in contact with Vince Marrow and John Schlarman since signing his letter of intent with the Wildcats on National Signing Day.

Marrow was his primary recruiter but he will get to know Schlarman more and more.

"Coach Schlarman is basically like my position coach now," he said. "He does the same stuff. He teaches the same techniques."

He attended the spring game and enjoyed the atmosphere even if we wasn't blown away like some were.

"I was expecting it," he said. "It was crazy how many showed up. It makes you think how many will show up for a home game if they did that for the spring game."

Meadows was excited when he heard Mikel Horton had decided to commit to Kentucky as well. The two have formed a friendship at Lakota West and Meadows is anxious to pave holes for him at the college level.

"We're practically brothers. I look after him and he looks after me," Meadows said. "He kept asking me about the recruiting process if he was nervous about anything. I would just tell him to do what's best for you. Do what you need. I'm happy he's committed. Now he's trying to recruit some guys in his class."

Meadows, more than most, knows what kind of player Kentucky is getting in Horton and he can't seem to praise him enough.

"He's practically bigger than a fullback. He's the true definition of a running back with his size and speed," Meadows said. "He can just power his way through anything. He's not too small in height or stature. He's the full package."

Meadows graduates from Lakota West on June 1 and he said everything is squared away academically. He plans to major in etymology or mechanical engineering.

The former three-star prospect said he is close to 300 pounds, which is about where the coaches told him they would like him to be.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1506142
West has decision in sight

Josh Helmholdt
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Lima (Ohio) Central Catholic defensive back Darius West was close to making his commitment last month before going on a run of new offers. Now, the four-star prospect has settled back into decision mode.

"I'm just ready to settle down and get real close with all the recruits that are interested in that school and start being a leader in my class," West said. "It's kind of overwhelming and I want to enjoy my senior season and put all my focus on [that]."

The decision appears to come down to one of four teams - Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State and Wisconsin. West said those are the four teams at the top of his list right now, and he expects a decision to come within the next "week or two."

The newest addition to that list is Michigan State, which just offered West on Tuesday. The four-star prospect has visited the Spartans several times before, however, and they have his former teammate, Tyler O'Connor, playing quarterback in East Lansing.

"I was pretty excited and didn't expect it because they said they wanted to offer me on campus when I came down and do it face-to-face," West said.

Another more recent offer for West was Wisconsin, which came through within the last two weeks.

"Bret Bielema was recruiting me real hard before he left, but once he left it took awhile for me to get in contact with them," West said. "When they first contacted me is when they offered."

Kentucky is a school that has been near the top of West's list for some time, and he already knows many of the Wildcat's commitments in the 2014 class. Several of those commitments are in West's ear constantly about joining them in Lexington.

"Every day, all day… they don't leave me alone," West said. "I love it and it is real special how hard Kentucky hit Ohio football this year. It would be nice to be with all of them for the next three to four years."

"Coach Strong's passion is strong and he has loyalty to the program even though he's been there only a few years," West said. "He had [opportunities] to go to the SEC, but he turned it down because he stayed loyal to his recruits, all his other coaches and that is real special."

West is considering holding a public announcement when he is ready to make his decision, but has not scheduled anything yet. He does not have any other visits planned before he makes his decision.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1506193
Stoops and staff sell success, location to recruits

Ben Jones
CatsIllustrated.com Staff Writer

There was something different about Kentucky's 2013 football recruiting class. Mark Stoops and his staff didn't have as much time as other staffs in the nation to round out the class. They weren't given significantly more resources than previous staffs at UK.

But they finished with the No. 29 ranked class on signing day, as the new staff closed out recruiting strong. According to information obtained by CatsIllustrated.com in an open records request, the football program's overall recruiting budget for 2012 was $500,000. That was a slight increase from $470,000 in 2011, but the resources haven't expanded considerably. The recruiting budget for 2013 will remain at $500,000.

Four-star defensive end Jason Hatcher was a late recruiting victory for Mark Stoops and staff.
Despite being short on time and having similar resources to previous years, UK signed the highest-ranked class in school history. With no change in the recruiting budget for 2013, the Wildcats could sign an even higher ranked class. UK's 2014 recruiting class was ranked No. 16 in the nation as of May 15.

Recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz said it's part of a daily process that starts at the top, with Stoops establishing recruiting as a priority.

"Every day, a piece of the day, a coach puts toward recruiting," Berezowitz said. "And the more you put into it, the more you get out of it."

Berezowitz, who heads up the football program's recruiting office, can have only limited contact with recruits while they're off campus. He, along with one other full-time staffer in the recruiting office and a handful of student workers, are mostly responsible for filing compliance paperwork, arranging visits, and handling other administrative duties.

It's an important role in the Wildcats' overall recruiting picture. Berezowitz spent three years working with Stoops at Arizona, where he helped the Wildcats sign a top 20 class in 2006. Their time together helped Berezowitz land his current position, where he and Stoops are trying to create similar success on the recruiting trail.

Kentucky's recruiting strategy hinges on three main selling points, Berezowitz said.

--Defensive coaches sell the success of Stoops' and D.J. Eliot's defense, which ranked in the top five in the country in 2011 and 2012. The Seminoles' defense also had seven players drafted this year alone. Offensive coaches sell the success of Neal Brown's offense, which ranked in the top 15 nationally each of the last three years. Brown's spread also gives several skill position players the chance for plenty of touches.

--The staff relies heavily on the city of Lexington as a reason to come to Kentucky. "If we get a guy on campus, we have a high probability to have a chance to get him at the end," Berezowitz said. They focus on Kentucky's academics and the coming facility upgrades, but far more important is the atmosphere on campus and the city's livability.

--The chance to play early is the final selling point. With the Wildcats coming off a 2-10 season and new offense and defense being installed, nearly every position will be up for grabs in fall camp. "Coach Stoops strives for competition," Berezowitz said. "The guy behind you is pushing you."

Stoops and Berezowitz have brought a few more changes to Kentucky. While Berezowitz was familiar with Stoops' approach to recruiting after working with him at Arizona, he's also integrated some new techniques that have helped set Kentucky apart.

One of the most visible changes has been the emphasis on handwritten letters from coaches. Four-star quarterback Drew Barker received 115 letters from the Wildcats on a single day once, and received over 100 letters on another day.

Berezowitz estimates about 200 pieces of mail leave the recruiting office on a normal day. On some days, over 1,000 letters are sent out to a list of 500-600 players the Wildcats are recruiting. A player might just receive one letter in a day from the Wildcats, or he could find his mailbox stuffed with blue envelopes. Writing letters by hand allows coaches to personalize their recruiting pitch and take a different approach from other programs.

"Kids are living in a Twitter, text message age but they love opening up mail," Berezowitz said. "They never get mail. They only get a birthday card from grandma, but some kids might get an email from grandma."

The boxes of mail that are sent out daily from the recruiting office go out to more than just recruits who are heavily involved with UK. Coaches use mail to keep in touch with high school coaches on a more personal level, or to introduce themselves to players for the first time.

"It goes on nonstop," Berezowitz said. "You get out of it what you put into it. Coach Stoops has said from day one with the staff since he's been here that recruiting is going to be a big part of what we do."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1506308
With 15 offers, sophomore Glover-Williams in no rush

Justin Rowland

Given Kentucky's success recruiting Buckeye State talent it's worth taking a look at some of the top sophomore talents from north of the border.

Eric Glover-Williams is universally recognized as one of Ohio's top Class of 2015 talents and the 5-foot-9, 160-pound athlete from Canton (Ohio) McKinley already has fifteen offers. His offer list includes Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan State, Tennessee, Arkansas, Pittsburgh, Illinois and Cincinnati, among others, but he has only visited two of those schools so far.

"I've visited Ohio State and Tennessee but that's the only two," Glover-Williams said. "I'm going to visit some more during the summertime."

Alabama, Michigan and West Virginia are among the schools he plans to visit this summer. He also wants to return to Tennessee.

Glover-Williams told Cats Illustrated that he is open to a trip to Kentucky but he hasn't planned that out yet. In fact, he hasn't had too much contact with Kentucky yet. It's reasonable to assume that's going to change.

"I know they've offered though," Glover-Williams said of UK. "I would be interested if they come down to see us or talk to me a little more."

The home state Buckeyes are obviously going to be on Glover-Williams' short list.

"I like how (Ohio State's) fans are so into the game," he said. "The stadium is really nice and they have pretty high standards with their academics there. They've got a lot of high standards."

Tennessee has also impressed him.

"I thought Tennessee was pretty nice. They have a nice facility down there and they're trying to build a better program than they've had the last couple of years. They've got new coaches and I like how they're thinking off the top."

Most schools are recruiting Glover-Williams as an athlete but some have specified inside receiver or even quarterback, a position he plays in high school. Nebraska and others have hinted they could give him a look behind center.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1506697
Stoops focuses staff on recruiting every day

Ben Jones
CatsIllustrated.com Staff Writer

Dan Berezowitz realized how important recruiting is to Mark Stoops within hours of meeting him. Berezowitz, then working at Arizona, was the lone holdover from John Mackovic's recently fired staff at Arizona waiting at the airport in Tucson.

Mike Stoopshad just accepted the head coaching job at Arizona, bringing Mark with him as defensive coordinator. Hours later, he was recruiting.

On Mark Stoops' first night in Arizona, he and Berezowitz were breaking down film of recruits. It was late November, and Stoops would have to move quickly to make up ground in recruiting after landing on the other side of the country from Miami.

Dan Berezowitz and Mark Stoops were evaluating recruits in his first day on the job at Arizona.
"That was basically my job interview, sitting in a room while we were breaking down recruits," said Berezowitz, now recruiting coordinator at Kentucky.

Things haven't changed a decade later. Stoops sent defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot on the recruiting trail on the first day he was hired at Kentucky, and recruiting remains one of the top priorities for the entire staff.

"We recruit every single day," Berezowitz said. "Every single day, Coach Stoops focuses something on recruiting. Whether that's in a meeting, whether that be handwritten notes, whether that's who is communicating with who, evaluating film, everyday there's something going on in recruiting. Because the only way you're going to win in this conference is to have good players."

Berezowitz plays an important role in recruiting by helping to coordinate on-campus visits for prospects. He can't recruit players off campus or make contact the same way an assistant coach can, but handles most of the administrative duties that come when a player visits campus.

And a visit to campus may be the most critical part of any recruitment.

Players who visit campus get to meet the entire coaching staff rather than just their primary recruiter. They can mingle with fellow recruits, some of whom may already be committed to UK. They see the city of Lexington, and can get a better understanding of the school as a whole.

"That's our whole goal; to get kids to come here unofficially, kids to come for official visits, getting kids on campus," Berezowitz said. "Once we get them here, our staff does a really, really good job with them and we have a lot to offer."

There were about 175 recruits on campus during the Blue/White Game on April 13, Berezowitz said. Summer will bring another important time in recruiting, as players from around the country will travel to campuses for camps to be evaluated and compete against other recruits.

Recruiting efforts could expand even further when NCAA rules changes go into effect later this summer. Only seven assistant coaches are currently allowed to be recruiting off campus at a time now, meaning two coaches have to stay in the office. When the whole staff is allowed to be on the road at the same time, all nine of Kentucky's coaches -- each of which has recruiting territory and responsibilities -- could be on the road simultaneously.

Taking a few days off in recruiting can make or break a team, Berezowitz said. It's a constant battle that might require a coach to take a call from a player late in the evening when he'd rather relax. It might mean a coach spends Saturday morning at the office rather than at home to meet a player who could only visit on a certain weekend.

"It goes on nonstop," Berezowitz said. "You get out of it what you put into it. Coach Stoops has said from day one with the staff since he's been here that recruiting is going to be a big part of what we do."

It's not unlike the first day when Berezowitz met Stoops in Arizona. They're still recruiting every single day, trying to find the best players possible. Now that he's a head coach, Stoops is making sure his entire program is geared towards recruiting every single day.

"If you want to win, you have to recruit the best players," Berezowitz said. "Even the best coaches have the best players. You can be a good coach with good players and win, but it still comes down to who gets the best players and can develop them, put them in a position to be successful. That's what we're doing here."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1506732
Kentucky's offer piques Holcombe's interest

Justin Rowland

The last seven national champions have come from the Southeastern Conference and three of those crystal balls belong to the Crimson Tide. One of the best prospects from Alabama's backyard likes the idea of playing in the conference that's at the top of the college football world.

Keith Holcombe wasn't expecting to hear from Kentucky and when he learned the Wildcats were interested it caught him off guard. Things moved in a hurry.

"I didn't know they were really recruiting me until my high school head coach said they were probably going to call last Saturday. That's the day they offered," Holcombe said of UK.

Derrick Ansley is the coach that talked to Holcombe and he made a positive impression right off the bat.

"He pretty much said that they really liked my film and they like how I play hard," he said. "They talked to my head coach and they liked what he said. They could see me coming in and playing extremely early. He gave me some background on coach (Mark) Stoops and what's going to be changing at Kentucky in the next couple of years."

One thing immediately caught Holcombe's attention and created a special interest in UK.

"It's the SEC," he said. "That was my first SEC offer. I would love to go there but right now I'm just trying to keep an open mind to everything. I'm not trying to lean a certain way just yet, but Kentucky would be a great place to be. Lexington's a great place."

The 6-foot-4, 209-pound outside linebacker from Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Hillcrest registered more than 100 tackles, an interception, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery last year.

He also claims offers from Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Northern Illinois and Tulane.

Don't be surprised if Holcombe visits Kentucky in the weeks ahead. In fact, that should be expected.

"I think I already have a visit scheduled with my parents," he said. "We're going to try and go up there sometime this summer but I'm not completely sure yet."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507283
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23