Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 57th "Draw"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why in the world would anyone want a draw. I don't care how much confidence you have in your kids I want the best chance for them to make it to the next round. You have the confidence in regular season by playing as tough a schedule as possible you sure don't want to throw away an entire post season due to a draw that screws your team. Totally crazy in my book. Kids deserve a better chance than that.

As far as anyone from LC being embarrassed by something that a sport or coach does other than something against the law is crazy. LC has enough to be embarrassed about just from are test scores we don't need to worry about getting embarrassed over seedings. Besides we have another winter sport that is a real embarrassment.
The Guru Wrote::letsparty :lmao: :Clap:
I would feel the same way.Smile
Let me just say that the coaches make the decision to draw because they fell like that is what is best for their team. Why else would they do it? Seriously, why would you vote for something that would not help your team?? it is in their best interests, so they do it. The folks from JC and Paintsville just cannot understand that. You can get on here and whine and complain all you want but nothing will change because of it. Coach Hall will not change his way of thinking because some dude named Snake thinks hes a yellow belly, which he is not by the way, not by a long shot. If you ask me, Pville should be overjoyed and they should keep their mouth shut about the draw this year. had we seeded, You would be in a WORLD of hurt...
Just because a coach chooses to seed doesn't mean he is scared. Maybe he just feels its the best chance for his team. No harm or shame in that. I doubt Hall and Keeton are scared of anyone. Who cares. I think Two teams form the same county just may be afraid ot play each other and are scared of maybe drawing each other.
Truely a bunch of garbage by a bunch that has only tried to get in the easy way. I really didn't expect anything more than just a bunch more of excuse making, and unsubstantiated defenses for your coach's cowardice. You guys just beg for someone to respect your program. This is just another example of why no one ever will. Charactor and integrity is what gains respect.
moofer Wrote:Just because a coach chooses to seed doesn't mean he is scared. Maybe he just feels its the best chance for his team. No harm or shame in that. I doubt Hall and Keeton are scared of anyone. Who cares. I think Two teams form the same county just may be afraid ot play each other and are scared of maybe drawing each other.
It is as simple as this.....you seed, so that your district has the best chance of sending their two best representatives to the regional tourney.
If you as a coach vote for a draw, it is as simple as throwing the dice hoping for a good draw, rather than just saying, well...we didn't have the best season, so our seeding reflects our play.
If you feel that your best chance at getting into the region is drawing a weak team, then what does that say about coaching abilities?
bigcountry Wrote:Truely a bunch of garbage by a bunch that has only tried to get in the easy way. I really didn't expect anything more than just a bunch more of excuse making, and unsubstantiated defenses for your coach's cowardice. You guys just beg for someone to respect your program. This is just another example of why no one ever will. Charactor and integrity is what gains respect.

You should crawl back in your hole you TIGER
TheBlackHole Wrote:You should crawl back in your hole you TIGER !
Example #2 of why no respect . Classic . Keep em comin.
corndog23 Wrote:Let me just say that the coaches make the decision to draw because they fell like that is what is best for their team. Why else would they do it? Seriously, why would you vote for something that would not help your team?? it is in their best interests, so they do it. The folks from JC and Paintsville just cannot understand that. You can get on here and whine and complain all you want but nothing will change because of it. Coach Hall will not change his way of thinking because some dude named Snake thinks hes a yellow belly, which he is not by the way, not by a long shot. If you ask me, Pville should be overjoyed and they should keep their mouth shut about the draw this year. had we seeded, You would be in a WORLD of hurt...
When Sheldon Clark ever wins something you can come on here and criticize Paintsville or Johnson Central all you want. Until then...............................it's just the same old rhetoric you hear year after year after year after year from fans from the county east of Johnson.

If you guys would take a little pride in your facilities , just that would go a long way in getting a little respect. Is every pitcher in the district tournament going to have to pitch off the mound in a foot deep hole and is every batter going to have to bat in a batters box where their knees are level with home plate because your coach dont have enough pride to maintain his facilities. Come on guys, try having just the slightest bit of pride. Sheldon Clark doesn't even deserve the opportunity of hosting a district tournament. Pure laziness is all it is, but then that same laziness shows in trying to get into the regional tourament the easy way year after year.
OK lets all keep it on topic and clean or we will have to close this one down.
TheBlackHole Wrote:You should crawl back in your hole you TIGER!

Nice! Been good seeing you around, but I believe you may be done. BTW, I don't even think bigcountry is from where you're thinking. Tigers got a nice draw no doubt, and I'm highly pleased with it. I don't think Keaton or Mike Hall are scared of competition, just Pooh Hall and Tucker Howard isn't either. I think the difference is that there have been times both JC and Paintsville have went home before the 15th Region tournament due to a lost to each other when they were both the premier programs in the district. I think with the draw sometimes, the 15th isn't represented as well. With seeding it as fair as possible, and what you do during the season actually counts.
I agree totally BB
corndog23 Wrote:Let me just say that the coaches make the decision to draw because they fell like that is what is best for their team. Why else would they do it? Seriously, why would you vote for something that would not help your team?? it is in their best interests, so they do it. The folks from JC and Paintsville just cannot understand that. You can get on here and whine and complain all you want but nothing will change because of it. Coach Hall will not change his way of thinking because some dude named Snake thinks hes a yellow belly, which he is not by the way, not by a long shot. If you ask me, Pville should be overjoyed and they should keep their mouth shut about the draw this year. had we seeded, You would be in a WORLD of hurt...

Hey... I didn't call anyone "yellow". I agreed with BigCountry's post.... but I didn't "name call".
I do not agree with "drawing" for the District Tournament placements, but if a coach wants to gamble with his teams future,(and his school allows it & supports him), then who are we to worry about them?
I say it's a foul wind that doesn't blow someone good fortune! Go Big Blue!
WOW! Lawrence, Sheldon Clark, and Johnson Central all in the same portion of the bracket, this should be an interesting tournament to say the least. Paintsville has strong pitching with Grimm, VanHoose, and Watkins, and I think they are the frontrunners to win. But with the overall talent of Johnson Central and Sheldon Clark, this is anyone's to win.
bigcountry Wrote:When Sheldon Clark ever wins something you can come on here and criticize Paintsville or Johnson Central all you want. Until then...............................it's just the same old rhetoric you hear year after year after year after year from fans from the county east of Johnson.

If you guys would take a little pride in your facilities , just that would go a long way in getting a little respect. Is every pitcher in the district tournament going to have to pitch off the mound in a foot deep hole and is every batter going to have to bat in a batters box where their knees are level with home plate because your coach dont have enough pride to maintain his facilities. Come on guys, try having just the slightest bit of pride. Sheldon Clark doesn't even deserve the opportunity of hosting a district tournament. Pure laziness is all it is, but then that same laziness shows in trying to get into the regional tourament the easy way year after year.

Do you expect Mike Hall himself to take money from his already small salary to PAY to fill holes in the field? Honestly, I don't see how you could've thought out the post you just made. The county is responsible for Sheldon Clark's field and obviously THAT is where they're lacking so-called "pride". The school doesn't have its own field, that is the "city park" and belongs to Martin County itself. Sheldon Clark baseball just doesn't get the kind of funding needed to maintain a field to your liking... when in all reality the county should be stepping up and keeping regular maintenance.
Pure and simple, teams either vote to draw for one of two reasons.

1. They are a small school who is usually not competitive year in and year out. The draw is their one chance of making a regional tournament.

2. Seeding a district requires the teams to play each other X amount of times in a season. Coaches that vote to draw feel that it is too difficult to guarantee this. If district games are rained out, they HAVE to be made up. They don't want that hassle.

As much as I am for seeding every district, I do see some of the problems that can arise from district game makeups. However, I think it is an issue that can be taken care of and should be done.
twentythree Wrote:Do you expect Mike Hall himself to take money from his already small salary to PAY to fill holes in the field? Honestly, I don't see how you could've thought out the post you just made. The county is responsible for Sheldon Clark's field and obviously THAT is where they're lacking so-called "pride". The school doesn't have its own field, that is the "city park" and belongs to Martin County itself. Sheldon Clark baseball just doesn't get the kind of funding needed to maintain a field to your liking... when in all reality the county should be stepping up and keeping regular maintenance.
Most teams have their players rake and take care of their fields after each practice and games. I think that Sheldon Clark is very capable of suppling a couple of rakes to its baseball team so they could rake a little bit of dirt back into the holes created on the mound and in the batters boxes. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I think that Paintsville plays on a city field and their players take care of raking and so forth. Pikeville plays on a city field and so do they. That's all a pretty lame excuse IMO. It's just simple little routine stuff, you dont have to have a budget for .In the time it takes to say "it ain't my job" you can take care of a lot of little things yourself if you take enough pride in what you've got.
Go JCHS
I agree that seeding should be used for tournament play. Teams who have played well in their district should be rewarded. The teams that have had a bad game or two when it mattered, but are playing well at the end of the regular season will have a tougher road but teams with the better records shouldn't be penalized. If there is an instance where a team didn't get all games in then I can understand their frustration but in all fairness seeding is best. This is hard to admit because my fav team has benefited from the draw in the past but fair is fair. SCHS needs to approach the BOE about some help to fix their field for the district. It is sad, they have no bleachers, a bad field, and no boosters. Poor leadership in this community from the board of education to the elected officials causes some good kids to be embarrassed and if they had something to be proud of then they would take pride in taking care of it. Some of the team got together one day before season started to work on the dugouts themselves with their own money-couldn't do much but the effort is commendable. Maybe some parents will step up and get help from somewhere before tournament. Looking forward to some good games and good luck to all.
Seeding should be installed as a state rule in my opinion. That makes the regular season conference games worth playing. LC, JC, Paintsville, SC never go at it with their best during the regular season trying to evade opponents until the "draw". Although the 58th is a weaker district overall, it stills calls for some great matchups during the regular season to try and win the #1 seed overall, and the best part is you see the best of the best going at it. Although Prestonsburg and Betsy Layne have had down years, they are still very competitive during the regular season battling against AC for the #1 seed. It also gives the conference champs a chance to earn more representatives on the all conference team.

The 57th District needs to seed. I know it is the coaches vote, and I hope they change their minds. But it would be so much better for the district and playing regular season games. It even adds strategy to scheduling. It just makes the regular season games worth something, and it shows who truly is the top team. The tournament doesn't necessarily show that in that the teams only have to play once -- and can have the game of their life.

LC could beat SC in the first round. I understand that both these coaches voted to not seed, so it will automatically send one of them home the first game. Both will have to use their aces, and then face a fresh Johnson Central team the following day. It could very well send both coaches home without a regional tournament appearance. It also gives Magoffin Co. -- most likely the bottom seed had they seeded -- a chance to play the game of their life and pull an upset and go into the region tournament. I hope these coaches will start seeding in the future. It sure makes things more worthwhile in my opinion.
Pacman Wrote:Seeding should be installed as a state rule in my opinion. That makes the regular season conference games worth playing. LC, JC, Paintsville, SC never go at it with their best during the regular season trying to evade opponents until the "draw".

I'm not so sure they evade each other until the draw. They still are very competative towards each other during the season. Paintsville beat JC twice by a combined total of 6 runs, SC beat Paintsville twice by a combined total of 5 runs and JC beat SC twice by a combined total of 6 runs. Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like they play hard against each other holding nothing back.
I have one Question when did they decide to drawn instead of seed. If it was before the season started then why is it just now being brought up. And if it was during the season I see why LC would want a draw they only had one game scheduled with the District teams, and felt like they wouod have a better chance than just going on play one district game each.

Everyone is going on about SCHS field about how they dont take care of it, that might be true but they are getting a new field so why put money into the old field. Also I am sure they will have it in decent shape for the District tourney.

P.S. We could just hold it at LC every year, I think they have the best facilities around for baseball.
You might want to check out the new field info for Sheldon Clark. Last I heard it was a no go AGAIN. That field has been talked about for the last 5 years. Everyone had high hopes this time around. You would think the county would want it's parks and fields looking their best and it election year. The little league or Cal Ripkin league teams need a place to play as well as the high school baseball and softball teams.
Batpuff Wrote:I have one Question when did they decide to drawn instead of seed.

Last Year.

A vote is done every year right before the district draw/seeding is done. That means last year all members came together and voted to draw for this season. This year, they voted again. I don't know what they voted for this time.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Last Year.

A vote is done every year right before the district draw/seeding is done. That means last year all members came together and voted to draw for this season. This year, they voted again. I don't know what they voted for this time.

According to IISnake's first post in this thread they voted for the draw once again next year.
The more whining i hear from the Johnson County folks, the more i believe Coach Hall votes this way just to piss you off.
corndog23 Wrote:The more whining i hear from the Johnson County folks, the more i believe Coach Hall votes this way just to piss you off.
Even his own family???
Even his own family...
rooster Wrote:Most teams have their players rake and take care of their fields after each practice and games. I think that Sheldon Clark is very capable of suppling a couple of rakes to its baseball team so they could rake a little bit of dirt back into the holes created on the mound and in the batters boxes. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I think that Paintsville plays on a city field and their players take care of raking and so forth. Pikeville plays on a city field and so do they. That's all a pretty lame excuse IMO. It's just simple little routine stuff, you dont have to have a budget for .In the time it takes to say "it ain't my job" you can take care of a lot of little things yourself if you take enough pride in what you've got.

Have you been to Sheldon Clark's field? It obviously needs more than "raking".
twentythree Wrote:Have you been to Sheldon Clark's field? It obviously needs more than "raking".
Yes I've been there, and I have certainly seen a lot worse than at Sheldon Clark. Go to any field in Floyd County. Like I said a lot of little things like raking and tamping a little dirt back in the holes in the mound and raking a little dirt back in the holes at the plate does not require anything of a budget. It only takes just a few minutes of effort. It just takes a little pride by the players and whomever is running the show to do just little tiny minor things. I just think it's an easy excuse to blame stuff like that on someone else, when in my opinion that should be the players job to begin with. Go to any college field and most high school fields. It is the players that do the field maintenance work. I know you cant help the things like the sewer plant being next door, but you can at least make the field safe to play on for the players, ESPECIALLY FOR YOURSELVES. If you all just want to sit and wait for someone to do something for you, then chances are you never have anything.
Pages: 1 2 3