Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Beechwood 15 - Pikeville 0 (5 Innings - All A Tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As I said in a thread a couple weeks ago...Yes there is a huge gap between East Kentucky baseball and the rest of the state...
o snap. thats pretty embarrasing.
A Very large gap indeed.
Dang..reality Check!
wow..Beechwood donimated them
Ouch!
This really suprised me! I expected Pikeville to put up more of a fight.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:This really suprised me! I expected Pikeville to put up more of a fight.

Yea really...not to see them get mericied
alfus21 Wrote:As I said in a thread a couple weeks ago...Yes there is a huge gap between East Kentucky baseball and the rest of the state...

You guys need to get out and watch some baseball. Pikeville beat Beechwood a couple years ago in the All-A, and beats teams from other parts of the state all the time. Easy for the uninformed to base an opinion on one bad game.:dontthink
jetpilot Wrote:You guys need to get out and watch some baseball. Pikeville beat Beechwood a couple years ago in the All-A, and beats teams from other parts of the state all the time. Easy for the uninformed to base an opinion on one bad game.:dontthink

The score speaks for itself...That's all I'm going to say.
I wish Pikeville would have represented the mountains better, because that is shameful but I dont think the gap as is big as you like to think. The 15th is just down this year, and is probably the worst region in the state.
alfus21 Wrote:The score speaks for itself...That's all I'm going to say.

Fair enough. However, wasn't this the day right after Pikeville's prom? Not saying it was the reason, but I doubt it helped their chances of playing better. I will go as far to say that if they could have went down the night before the game, they would have been better rested and played better. (I hate it when I defend Pikeville)
alfus21 Wrote:The score speaks for itself...That's all I'm going to say.

It's only ONE score...that's all I'm going to say (again.)
Pikeville has proved over and over that they can compete downstate.
Understandable that some would want to use one bad game to lump PHS in with them (bad baseball) though.:yikes:
Not this year, other than that win over a weak Holy Cross team out of Louisville.

Last season Corbin spanked them around in two games, by a combined score of 12-1. Heath beat them last season. Montgomery County beat them last season and they finished the season 13-14...West Jessamine beat them and they didnt even make it to the region tournament in the 11th Region. They did however beat Clark Co, Cambellsville, and East Jessamine by a combined 3 runs, none of which even competed to win their regions.

They did do well in 2004, but failed to even the win the region, so that's out of the question.

Pikeville lost to Tates Creek a combined 15-2 in 2003, in which both teams were down, but Pikeville was still considered a favorite in the 15th while Tates Creek wasnt a contender at all.

All I said was there is a large gap in the talent level for EKY and the rest of the state, and for the most part that's true. Most years any middle range team in the 5-11th Regions could beat the top team in the 14th or 15th Region. It's common sense, and yeah sometimes a team from the 15th will be good enough to compete down state, but that's a rare occurance.
alfus21 Wrote:Not this year, other than that win over a weak Holy Cross team out of Louisville.

Last season Corbin spanked them around in two games, by a combined score of 12-1. Heath beat them last season. Montgomery County beat them last season and they finished the season 13-14...West Jessamine beat them and they didnt even make it to the region tournament in the 11th Region. They did however beat Clark Co, Cambellsville, and East Jessamine by a combined 3 runs, none of which even competed to win their regions.

They did do well in 2004, but failed to even the win the region, so that's out of the question.

Pikeville lost to Tates Creek a combined 15-2 in 2003, in which both teams were down, but Pikeville was still considered a favorite in the 15th while Tates Creek wasnt a contender at all.

All I said was there is a large gap in the talent level for EKY and the rest of the state, and for the most part that's true. Most years any middle range team in the 5-11th Regions could beat the top team in the 14th or 15th Region. It's common sense, and yeah sometimes a team from the 15th will be good enough to compete down state, but that's a rare occurance.

The losses you refer to were almost all competitive, even Corbin games if you followed them at all went to the wire. Again, you don't mention the win over Beechwood, and Boyd Co. in the sectional a few years ago, and many others. Pikeville has a very positive mindset and feel they can win anytime they step on the field with anyone, and rightly so. The negativity of your post is the losing mentality present in the Pike County schools which will insure that they are never able to compete down state.
jetpilot Wrote:The losses you refer to were almost all competitive, even Corbin games if you followed them at all went to the wire. Again, you don't mention the win over Beechwood, and Boyd Co. in the sectional a few years ago, and many others. Pikeville has a very positive mindset and feel they can win anytime they step on the field with anyone, and rightly so. The negativity of your post is the losing mentality present in the Pike County schools which will insure that they are never able to compete down state.

As stated in my previous post "more often than not" the teams from down-state will win against East Kentucky teams...You can't say that EKY, specificallly Pikeville is competitive against teams down state on a yearly basis because they're not. It's good to have a positive mindset but when you're the favorite in the 15th and get smoked by a favorite from another region 15-0 in 5 Innings that shows the true gap. Simple as that. Maybe not in years past, but this season. You can interpret my post anyway you want, but thats just my opinion and many others that are non-biased with Maroon shades on. It's a simple truth, and losing 12-1 in two games to Corbin is not down to the wire anyway you slice it.
Again, you keep basing your argument on one score. And obviously you didn't pay any attention to the Corbin games, both were tight and could have gone either way. Corbin had a big inning at the end of the 2nd game and everything went their way in the series, which was at Corbin by the way. At Pikeville you would have probably had a different result. Anyway, it's obvious you don't follow baseball so I'll quit wasting my time and yours.:howdy:
Never saw this coming.
jetpilot Wrote:Again, you keep basing your argument on one score. And obviously you didn't pay any attention to the Corbin games, both were tight and could have gone either way. Corbin had a big inning at the end of the 2nd game and everything went their way in the series, which was at Corbin by the way. At Pikeville you would have probably had a different result. Anyway, it's obvious you don't follow baseball so I'll quit wasting my time and yours.:howdy:

Averaging .5 runs per game in 2 games isn't two games that could go either way. They're losses. But I have my opinion which I like to think makes sense, and you have yours.
I'll venture to say that Beechwood could beat several times from across the state by a large margin. Obviously, several from the East, but probably just as many from other parts of the state.
Thats a pretty tough loss 15-0
I think Boyd County is eastern kentucky and they won the state championship a few years back. They produce a great team year in and year out. Yet in 99 pikeville beat them, and I think they won state the next year over Ballard with Jeremy Sowers, who is arguably the best pitcher this state has produced in the past 10 yeares. So needless to say Eastern Kentucky can compete with the rest of the state, and Pikeville can too. Maybe this year is different, but baseball is a funny game. I think Beechwood might have a great team this year too.
HazzBeen Wrote:I think Boyd County is eastern kentucky and they won the state championship a few years back. They produce a great team year in and year out. Yet in 99 pikeville beat them, and I think they won state the next year over Ballard with Jeremy Sowers, who is arguably the best pitcher this state has produced in the past 10 yeares. So needless to say Eastern Kentucky can compete with the rest of the state, and Pikeville can too. Maybe this year is different, but baseball is a funny game. I think Beechwood might have a great team this year too.

I had forgotten about Boyd County, so thanks for bringing that up. They are a rare exception for the most part, because other than them no other team can "consistently" compete down-state, and EKY can't compete with CKY teams year after year....Any given year a team with a .500 record in the 5-11th Regions can beat any of the top 3 teams from the 14th or 15th Region.
alfus21 Wrote:I had forgotten about Boyd County, so thanks for bringing that up. They are a rare exception for the most part, because other than them no other team can "consistently" compete down-state, and EKY can't compete with CKY teams year after year....Any given year a team with a .500 record in the 5-11th Regions can beat any of the top 3 teams from the 14th or 15th Region.

I will give you that all the Lexington and Louisville schools are consistantly better, but not western or northern kentucky.
HazzBeen Wrote:I will give you that all the Lexington and Louisville schools are consistantly better, but not western or northern kentucky.

All around Lexington and Louisville schools are better, and some Northern Kentucky schools are better at baseball as Beechwood showed in this game, and some other teams would do the same...I do agree with you that extreme West Kentucky isn't as strong, but there as still some tough teams there such as Heath..
But let's not forget Christian County out of the 2nd Region who is year in and year out one of the best teams in the state. Plus Apollo and O. Catholic out of the 3rd, so I dont know after remembering some of those teams. The top of every Region in the state is in my opinion better than the top of the 14th and 15th, but I think the middle pack teams of western Kentucky would have some good games with middle teams out of the 14th and 15th....
Pikeville has beat Beechwood too. This year they lost so they might be down, but not year after year. Pikeville, JC, and Painstville are the only teams year in and year out that can compete around the state. Every area has there year. When I played I definately think the east had the best teams. Middlesboro, Boyd County, and us (Pikeville). Could beat any team in the state on a given night.
I'm not going to say this again, but on a consistent yearly basis, the teams of East Kentucky cant compete down-state, and thats stats don't lie. The state title numbers dont lie. Every area does have their year, but East Kentucky Regions very seldom have their year.
Northern Kentucky state champs since 84 - one Cov Cath 02
Eastern Kentucky state champs since 84 - three East Carter, Painstville, Boyd

All I am saying is that eastern kentucky can compete some years and some they cannot. This might be a year where they can't, but next might be a different story. I am not trying to argue Alfus, just saying this is a down year for eastern kentucky. We (eastern kentucky) have had our years too.
9 from Lexington-Louisville
4 from Western
3 Harrison County title (which is above lexington)
3 from Eastern
1 from the North

It is pretty even.
Pages: 1 2