Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Stadiums/Schools You look forward to visting... You will never return to.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In the thread about obnoxious fans, BlackcatAlum made a post that made little light bulb above my head turn on...... So, I will ask the BGR universe about this.

What Stadiums/Schools do you look forward to visting/playing and why??

What Stadiums/Schools will you never go to again and why??
As much as I respect the history of the old Vipperman Stadium at Belfry... I hated the drive, the parking situation, the old bleachers, the field... it was tough place to play.

Not playing The Apple Bowl (Johnson Central vs. Paintsville) on the Thursday night berfore Apple Day starts just doesn't seem right. But I would rather not have the game than have to watch another game at Memorial Field. I only live about 5 miles from the stadium but that's one place I have no desire to return to.

Lincoln Co. (Death Valley) was probably the worst football stadium I've ever visited. I was extpecting an actually valley... Not one Hillside. This is also one place I'll never return to.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:As much as I respect the history of the old Vipperman Stadium at Belfry... I hated the drive, the parking situation, the old bleachers, the field... it was tough place to play.

Not playing The Apple Bowl (Johnson Central vs. Paintsville) on the Thursday night berfore Apple Day starts just doesn't seem right. But I would rather not have the game than have to watch another game at Memorial Field. I only live about 5 miles from the stadium but that's one place I have no desire to return to.

Can't say I disagree with you about Vipperman. Great setting and it had the intimidation factor for sure, but if there was ever a team needing a new stadium in the State of Kentucky, it was Belfry.

Shelby Valley was always a great place to travel to. Surprisingly very nice facilities, huge visitor seating, tons of parking including parking directly behind the visitor seats, generally good concession food, and it seemed like it was always an easy win to boot. Putnam Stadium was always great for the tradition and the seating, but you knew you were about to get hosed by the officials. Russell has a nice facility for visitors as well.

Unfortunately, Breathitt County will have to face my critique for the second straight thread on a topic like this. The single greatest disparity between Home seating and visitor seating in the State. Home side= 3500 covered seats with concession stands and restrooms immediately nearby. Very Nice. Visitor side = rusty bleachers holding maybe a few hundred fans teetering on a river bank, not even tall enough to see over the players on the sideline, with a half mile trek through mud to reach concessions/restrooms. If you dare sit on the home side: May God Have Mercy on Your Soul!
Really enjoyed my trip to THE CAM last year. Very nice stadium. I also enjoy going to Johnson Central as well. My least favorite would probably have to be cov cath. The people were great.but playing On a saturday afternoon with no lights and small bleachers wasn't right. Very enjoyable trip for basketball season. But besides the food the football facility was lacking quite a bit.
Ashland.... Hate the parking, hate the stadium, hate the field, hate the goal post on the tree line, hate the roads up to the stadium from 23........ BUT there is not a stadium in the U.S. of A. that has more tradition and history than Putnam. It's in a league all by it's self. And that should mean a lot, coming from a die hard JC fan.

(There, I said it.)
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Ashland.... Hate the parking, hate the stadium, hate the field, hate the goal post on the tree line, hate the roads up to the stadium from 23........ BUT there is not a stadium in the U.S. of A. that has more tradition and history than Putnam. It's in a league all by it's self. And that should mean a lot, coming from a die hard JC fan.

(There, I said it.)
I think every JC fan hates that goalpost. I've seen worse parking though. Just gotta get there by 6:00 and u can park in the field behind the stadium
By far my favorite to go to is Putnam Stadium (Ashland). Others I enjoy going to games at, CAM (Belfry), Memorial Field (Paintsville), The Briar Patch (Somerset), Corbin, and Daniel Field (Hazard).

Ones that I hate, South Floyd, Phelps, Newport, Allen Central, Pike Central, and LCA (maybe the worst experience I have ever had).

Ones that I would like to go to: Highlands, Beechwood, Harlan County, Breathitt County, Trinity, Saint X, Bowling Green.
Almost forgot.... "The Rock" at Sheldon Clark.

Worst football field I've ever laid my eyes on, before they got the turf. SC has made vast improvements with their facilities in recent years... but having to play on or watch a game at "The Rock" was a nightmare.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who is naming Putnam stadium. We are very proud of our stadium here at Ashland. And the compliments from opposing fans on reaffirms how lucky our kids are to play there every Friday for the last 75 years.
We make the long trip to Letcher Co. Central next week. I have heard that they have a great stadium. I am looking forward to seeing it firsthand. I thought that Whitley County's Stadium was nice, I especially liked the vistor's section. I wish we had a stadium devoted just to football instead of sharing with the baseball field. I would love to have the visitor bleachers on the other side of the field.
Has anybody ever been to Yeager, WV.'s field? (Or atleast that is what I think it is called) When Bill Tom Ross was at JC, he talked about this place. Said that one endzone was only 7 yards long and it ran into somebody's front porch. He told me that he would rather take a forfeit loss than play another game at that place.
Might as well be prepared to stand at an endzone if you go to Breathitt County as a visitor. Sheldon Clark's visitor seating isn't much better but I have a lot more respect for their fans.

Letcher Central's stadium was very nice but had the worst parking situation out of any place I had ever been.
BelfryPirates Wrote:Might as well be prepared to stand at an endzone if you go to Breathitt County as a visitor. Sheldon Clark's visitor seating isn't much better but I have a lot more respect for their fans.

Letcher Central's stadium was very nice but had the worst parking situation out of any place I had ever been.
Bad as old Vipperman used to be?
The best part about Vipperman had nothing to do with the field, seating, or parking. It was the drive. What now is a 25 minute sprint from Pikeville, was once a 1 1/2 hour slog on a bus over 2 very curvy mountains and probably behind at least 12 coal trucks. Talk about home field advantage. I think for the playoffs this year if it were to come down to Breathitt and Belfry, Coach Haywood should have them shut down the four-lane and reopen the old road and let the Bobcats make that trip. For most teams too the motion sickness was quickly taken away by the fact that they were gonna get their tails kicked on the rocky crag of Vipperman stadium, all the while the red wave (including those on whisky knob) from the cue of Pete Runyon with his horn cheered on their beloved Pirates!!!
How many have ever been to the home of the Man Hillbillies??
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Has anybody ever been to Yeager, WV.'s field? (Or atleast that is what I think it is called) When Bill Tom Ross was at JC, he talked about this place. Said that one endzone was only 7 yards long and it ran into somebody's front porch. He told me that he would rather take a forfeit loss than play another game at that place.

Never been to it, but used to take US 52 when going to North Carolina. At one point you are high on a bank and can look down and see it. It always looked like a mudpit and everything looked like it was built in The Prohibition Era. Don't know about the length of the endzones, but it had chainlink fence and was right next to some homes.
I really like Hazards field BTW.
I know this is a high school forum/thread.... But I will never ever, as long as the Good Lord lets me live watch another football game at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium.

Worst football experience of my life! It's in the middle of the ghetto... no shade, terrible stadium design, terrible parking, I left about early 3rd quarter. I've been graveyard's louder than that stadium was.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I know this is a high school forum/thread.... But I will never ever, as long as the Good Lord lets me live watch another football game at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium.

Worst football experience of my life! It's in the middle of the ghetto... no shade, terrible stadium design, terrible parking, I left about early 3rd quarter. I've been graveyard's louder than that stadium was.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Legion Field in Birmingham laughs at this post.
BelfryPirates Wrote:Might as well be prepared to stand at an endzone if you go to Breathitt County as a visitor. Sheldon Clark's visitor seating isn't much better but I have a lot more respect for their fans.

Breathitt County's parking is the one that kills me the most

But there is nothing...
nothing...
NOTHING worse than trying to park at Hazard High School for a basketball game.

I know we aren't talking about basketball - but it had to be mentioned
I want to watch the Black Bears play at Baxter at Harlan County High School.
Always worry about that warrant check at the Registration building to get a pass onto Fort Campbell when they check your license.
The worst football stadium in College South Carolina its on a street corner the parking is terrible also when you get off the team bus they have to stop trafic and let you off on the street corner.
The Best stadium is Alabama in Tuscalossa you got to go their if you every play SEC football or follow SEC football the parking good and they dont charge you. LSU is good and so is Arkansas great parking and a lot of fun.

Worst Highschool football field Whitesburg and Sheldon,Clark old field both were horrible.
The Best Highschool field Trinity and Bowling Green both great places to play.
Breathitt has been crushed pretty heavily in this thread and most of it is correct.

Rumor has it that when the new road construction cuts through the mountain they are going to fill the old river bed behind the visitor sidelines and add some extra bleachers over there as well as parking. Should help things out a lot for football and basketball.
I love Breathitt's field...great atmosphere for a football game. The only problem I had was some of the beams supporting the roof can get in your way from time to time. When we went over in the playoffs 2 years ago the Somerset fans all sat under the roof on the left end of the bleachers with no issues to speak off with the Breathitt fans. The sound echoing under the roof was deafening and my son said it was the loudest crowd noise he had ever heard coming from both fan bases.

I really like Corbin's field due to the size of the visitors bleachers.
Cam at Belfry is just awesome.
Danville is nice as well.

Of course my favorite is Somerset's Briar Patch, huge bleachers on both sides and tons of parking.

Worst from a visitors viewpoint...
The old Cumberland field...away bleachers always felt like they were about to fall.
Estill...very low bleacher which is set back across the track from the field. Students roaming all night around the track on the visitors side makes it almost impossible to watch the game.
Wayne County...away bleachers tiny.
Garrard County...away bleachers directly under Garrard coaches...leads to some issues when coaches are right above you talking over their headsets and complaining about your kids play. (Why don't the Garrard coaches go to the top of their own sideline?)
[Image: 13e311a9ed144057cffb8ca770ded3a426714ad4...0x1000.png]

I could care less about any other stadium in the state of Kentucky except this one!
Best stadiums: Boyle County except for visitors side. Louisville Central, Lincoln County, Corbin, Rockcastle.

Worst stadiums: Knox Central (no visitors side seating) Middlesboro,
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Almost forgot.... "The Rock" at Sheldon Clark.

Worst football field I've ever laid my eyes on, before they got the turf. SC has made vast improvements with their facilities in recent years... but having to play on or watch a game at "The Rock" was a nightmare.

Still hate watching games there. They have no visitor seating.
I would like to go to pond creek
I think Harlan Co. will be pretty sweet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4