Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Co. 5peat vs. Highlands 5peat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Any parallels between the two? How did Boyle do after the 5th season? Is Highlands projected to 6peat b/c Covington Catholic and Lexington Catholic return some very talented players......
Boyle was 7-5 in the year before the championship run began.

BC's first 3 championship seasons were 15-0. BC won 47 games in a row before losing to Danville in game 3 of 2002.

BC beat Glasgow twice in the 2A championship games (1999 and 2000)

BC beat Rockcastle County twice in 3A championships (2001 and 2002)

BC beat Highlands for the 3A title in 2003

BC's record in the 5 years was 73-2

In year 6, BC went 12-3 losing to Highlands in the state finals 22-6.

BC's record for the 6 years was 85-5

The year before the Highlands string began, they were 7-5 SAME as BC

During the 5 years Highlands was 73-2 Same as BC

They beat Bowling Green for the 5A championship in 2007

They beat Christian County twice for 5A championships in 2008 and 2010

They beat John Hardin for the 5A championship in 2009

They beat Franklin-Simpson for the 4A championship in 2011

Each school won in two different classes.
This debate will only last a year because I guarantee you we will win 4A again next year.
Who moves in and takes over the QB position for highlands? What does Boyle have coming back?
WideRight05 Wrote:This debate will only last a year because I guarantee you we will win 4A again next year.

What position do you play?
I'm sorry WideRight, but you can never "guarantee" a championship in any sport. I'm sure Highlands will reload, but it will be tough losing talents like Towles, Sheehan, and Bruns. 4A will have some very good teams next season. CovCath, LexCath, Boyle, and Highlands will all compete for a state title. Any of them could win it
Both streaks by Boyle and Highlands are equally impressive. Both teams had very, very talented QB's and recievers during the stretch.
It's interesting that the Birds were the ones that dethroned BC in the state finals to prevent the 6peat.. It's a shame the way the brackets are set up that Boyle and Highlands couldn't possibly meet in the state finals in '12. Thanks for the info WiseOne.
MSU Eagle Wrote:I'm sorry WideRight, but you can never "guarantee" a championship in any sport. I'm sure Highlands will reload, but it will be tough losing talents like Towles, Sheehan, and Bruns. 4A will have some very good teams next season. CovCath, LexCath, Boyle, and Highlands will all compete for a state title. Any of them could win it

I'm waiting for those teams to prove us wrong. They are good, but we will reload and beat them handily. Probably 2 -3 games in the playoffs will finish with a running clock.
Bleedblue20 Wrote:Who moves in and takes over the QB position for highlands? What does Boyle have coming back?

Give or take a few, the Birds have 25 seniors, juniors and sophomores on the 84 man roster. The freshman team was just over 50. QB McCoy engineered the win over Elder. The underclassmen that were not starters, got significant playing time, as Highlands averaged playing around 55 kids per game. They will be OK.
^ there are a couple of good backups from this year that could take the spot next year, but I think McCoy will be the one to do it. He'll be really good. Probably already better than most high school QBs in KY.
Highlands is the type of team that reloads each year. There are teams that will push them here and there, but more often than not they're going to win. I do believe they'll win it next year.
Both were equally impressive and both had five very, very talented teams that produced a large number of good collegiate players as well.

Congrats on Highlands on their run. :Thumbs:

Don't know if you can quantify one as greater than the other. Both deserve respect in their own right.
The only difference I see is Boyle's came in the 4 class system, while Highland's in the 6 class system. Either way a State Title is a State Title and congrats to both on a good run.
I counted 25 sr's and 36 jr's for HHS next year. That's more jr's than total player's on an average 1A team in kentucky.
Backwoods Wrote:I counted 25 sr's and 36 jr's for HHS next year. That's more jr's than total player's on an average 1A team in kentucky.

I guess you got those numbers here:??? http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/roster
I understand that Highlands has a great program they really take the time to develop players, but i dont understand how they get this much tealent every single year being a public school.
Theres no difference if a kid lives in Ft Thomas or Bucketwash WV, every kid put there pants on the same way and i dont understand how they get the top players in the state every single year.
I know for a fact if we had Highlands coaches here and averaged the same amount of players, we wouldnt dominate like Highlands.
Is there something in the water or just luck?
It's because Highlands sit right there next to cincy and there are so many talented players in that area. Highlands is the cream of the crop in that area so if you aren't going to get clock at one of the top schools that are in Cincy why not transfer over to Highlands and be a star.
cctiger Wrote:It's because Highlands sit right there next to cincy and there are so many talented players in that area. Highlands is the cream of the crop in that area so if you aren't going to get clock at one of the top schools that are in Cincy why not transfer over to Highlands and be a star.

Good idea, but it doesn't happen.

Three kids on the current team (they have 85 players on the roster) started attending Highlands in middle school. The rest grew up in town attending Ft Thomas public schools. The trick is, they start learning Bluebird football in THIRD grade in the FTJFL (founded around 1960). With six years of learning the system, they are ready to go when they enter Highlands as frosh. For six years, they are taught what it means to be a Highlands player. For six years, EVERY player gets signifcant playing time. Every year, there are roughly 50 kids going from 8th to 9th grade already knowing the techniques, the basic plays and the work ethic it takes.

Due to the fact Highlands does not have ONE middle school team like most other schools, rather FOUR FTJFL teams that play against each other, they are developing 8 - 10 QB's instead of 2 - 3. They are developing maybe a dozen or more running backs and receivers instead of 4 - 5. A couple dozen linemen and defensive players are learnng valuable skills every week.

In addition, they have the added pressure from their brothers, cousins, uncles, fathers and in a few cases, grandfathers who have won state championships. That is the kind of stuff that can't be "imported".
Blau Vogel Wrote:Good idea, but it doesn't happen.

Three kids on the current team (they have 85 players on the roster) started attending Highlands in middle school. The rest grew up in town attending Ft Thomas public schools. The trick is, they start learning Bluebird football in THIRD grade in the FTJFL (founded around 1960). With six years of learning the system, they are ready to go when they enter Highlands as frosh. For six years, they are taught what it means to be a Highlands player. For six years, EVERY player gets signifcant playing time. Every year, there are roughly 50 kids going from 8th to 9th grade already knowing the techniques, the basic plays and the work ethic it takes.

Due to the fact Highlands does not have ONE middle school team like most other schools, rather FOUR FTJFL teams that play against each other, they are developing 8 - 10 QB's instead of 2 - 3. They are developing maybe a dozen or more running backs and receivers instead of 4 - 5. A couple dozen linemen and defensive players are learnng valuable skills every week.

I found this post by Blau Vogel from another thread particularly informative. The starting team is made up of Ft Thomas residents! Improve your feeder system and quite talking transfers and recruitment. Why does EVERY thread that talks about Highlands quickly devolve into this?

Blau Vogel Wrote:Listed below are the "stats" guys...The ones making the plays. ( http://preps.cincinnati.com/Football/Tea.../Highlands ) The ones BOLDED IN RED, did not attend elementary school in Fort Thomas. ALL of those players BOLDED IN RED did not come to Highlands until middle school.

Evan Allen
Grant Beiting
Chad Bowden
Luke Brockett
[COLOR="red"]Devin Bruns
Drake Bruns[/COLOR]

David Christian
Joey Cochranan
Jac Collinsworth
Brian Condon
Ryan Donovan
Luke Dressman
Alex Frost
Ryan Greene
Zach Harris
Jaylen Hayes
Jake Heck
Jehad Henderson
Brandon Hergott
Beau Hogue
Seth Hope
Drew Houliston
Brendan Houston
Ryan Kissel
Nathan Merkle
Donovan McCoy
Beau McGhee
Ian McGurn
J.C. Mettens
Jake Meyer
Carter New
Kenton Noran
Joe Paolucci
Austin Peterson
Connor Poston
Josh Quillen
Brad Rouse
Blake Schutte
Colin Seidl
Austin Sheehan
Ben Streeter
Patrick Towles
Jake True
Nick True
Luke Turner
Griffin Urlage
Alex Venneman
^ glad someone notices what I say...Smile
Wise one Wrote:Boyle was 7-5 in the year before the championship run began.

BC's first 3 championship seasons were 15-0. BC won 47 games in a row before losing to Danville in game 3 of 2002.

I can't get over the similarities.
WideRight05 Wrote:This debate will only last a year because I guarantee you we will win 4A again next year.

Sir just wondering why you say that. Is Highlands losing a bunch of players? What I know is that LexCath does bring back 70% on their offense and 80% of defense. Just wondering, don't need to bite my neck or call me names like you do ohters here...
Wise one Wrote:Boyle was 7-5 in the year before the championship run began.

This is great research! Awesome job. I like the idea that a HHS team building with a new QB could make the finals next year, but if they follow the path of BC, they lose in the finals.
Stardust Wrote:This is great research! Awesome job. I like the idea that a HHS team building with a new QB could make the finals next year, but if they follow the path of BC, they lose in the finals.

In order to follow in Boyles path, Highlands would have to go through a head coaching change after their 5th championship. Chuck Smith was announcing his new position on the UK coaching staff right about now(back then of course)
toolaidback Wrote:In order to follow in Boyles path, Highlands would have to go through a head coaching change after their 5th championship. Chuck Smith was announcing his new position on the UK coaching staff right about now(back then of course)

Rumor has it, Coach Mueller's head may be on the chopping block...It seems the administration is unhappy that he has only been able to win 10 state championships in the 15 years he has been there...Confusedhh:
Blau Vogel Wrote:Rumor has it, Coach Mueller's head may be on the chopping block...It seems the administration is unhappy that he has only been able to win 10 state championships in the 15 years he has been there...Confusedhh:

He's such a slacker..Confusednicker:
toolaidback Wrote:In order to follow in Boyles path, Highlands would have to go through a head coaching change after their 5th championship. Chuck Smith was announcing his new position on the UK coaching staff right about now(back then of course)

Actually not true.

Smith was there the next year when the Rebels lost to HHS. He then took the position at UK and Pardue was named coach a little while after. Smith was there for all 6 straight title game appearances. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:Actually not true.

Smith was there the next year when the Rebels lost to HHS. He then took the position at UK and Pardue was named coach a little while after. Smith was there for all 6 straight title game appearances. :Thumbs:

So you think coach Mueller is safe for at least one more year?
Rather they pull kids from Cincy doesn't really matter Highlands has a great program. What people fail to understand is most, if not all independant schools, are open enrollment. If you live in that area I don't see anything wrong with wanting to go to Highlands to play football oppose to another school know for basketball. Why not go to a school with better coaching, better facilities, chance to play for state titles, and a better chance to get a college scholarship.This happens thoughout the state and until somebody is proven to be cheating or the KHSAA does something about it crying on a message board doesn't do any good. I just wish highlands would have played in 5A or 6A so I could have seen them vs BG, Trinty, X, John Hardin and some of the schools that dress a similar number of players.

Having 36 players in a class is alot of kids for a 4A size schools, several 1A,2A, and 3A schools have less than 40 total kids.
Pages: 1 2 3