Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Co. 5peat vs. Highlands 5peat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Rather they pull kids from Cincy doesn't really matter Highlands has a great program. What people fail to understand is most, if not all independant schools, are open enrollment. If you live in that area I don't see anything wrong with wanting to go to Highlands to play football oppose to another school know for basketball. Why not go to a school with better coaching, better facilities, chance to play for state titles, and a better chance to get a college scholarship.This happens thoughout the state and until somebody is proven to be cheating or the KHSAA does something about it crying on a message board doesn't do any good. I just wish highlands would have played in 5A or 6A so I could have seen them vs BG, Trinty, X, John Hardin and some of the schools that dress a similar number of players.

Having 36 players in a class is alot of kids for a 4A size schools, several 1A,2A, and 3A schools have less than 40 total kids.

Because FORT THOMAS gets A LOT of kids interested and taking part at the early age of NINE plays a HUGE part in the in the high numbers on the high school level. The freshman team usually has numbers in the high 40's to low 50's.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Because FORT THOMAS gets A LOT of kids interested and taking part at the early age of NINE plays a HUGE part in the in the high numbers on the high school level. The freshman team usually has numbers in the high 40's to low 50's.

Youth Football in Ft. Thomas is like soccer in most other areas. They don't call them "Soccer Moms" in this NKY city....
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Rather they pull kids from Cincy doesn't really matter Highlands has a great program. What people fail to understand is most, if not all independant schools, are open enrollment. If you live in that area I don't see anything wrong with wanting to go to Highlands to play football oppose to another school know for basketball. Why not go to a school with better coaching, better facilities, chance to play for state titles, and a better chance to get a college scholarship.This happens thoughout the state and until somebody is proven to be cheating or the KHSAA does something about it crying on a message board doesn't do any good. I just wish highlands would have played in 5A or 6A so I could have seen them vs BG, Trinty, X, John Hardin and some of the schools that dress a similar number of players.

Having 36 players in a class is alot of kids for a 4A size schools, several 1A,2A, and 3A schools have less than 40 total kids.

They did play in a class with BG, John Hardin etc.. for 4 years. They thrashed those sorry teams.
The FTJFL has probably played a big part in NewCath's success over the years. A great many students that attend NCC live in Ft T and played prior to HS in the FTJFL. Their parents choose to live here but value a catholic school education so they send their kids a mile down the road.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The FTJFL has probably played a big part in NewCath's success over the years. A great many students that attend NCC live in Ft T and played prior to HS in the FTJFL. Their parents choose to live here but value a catholic school education so they send their kids a mile down the road.

If any of them actually ever toured Highlands and really compared the two schools realistically, they wouldn't be down at NCC. However, I do respect the choice of going to a school to take religion. Though I think looking at the facilities, it's somewhat rinky dink at NCC compared to Highlands. I do agree that the Ft. Thomas league is helping NCC. There are even kids from out in the county(ST. Mary,St.Joe's, St. Therese) playing in the FTJFL.
Wideleft01 Wrote:If any of them actually ever toured Highlands and really compared the two schools realistically, they wouldn't be down at NCC. However, I do respect the choice of going to a school to take religion. Though I think looking at the facilities, it's somewhat rinky dink at NCC compared to Highlands. I do agree that the Ft. Thomas league is helping NCC. There are even kids from out in the county(ST. Mary,St.Joe's, St. Therese) playing in the FTJFL.

They would need all the religion they can get if they played Highlands.
Rebel55 Wrote:The only difference I see is Boyle's came in the 4 class system, while Highland's in the 6 class system. Either way a State Title is a State Title and congrats to both on a good run.

I agree somewhat about the 4 class system. However, looking back, the Birds were ranked at least #2 or #3 every year they won state. I think they would have dispatched all opponents beneath the 5A pool so to me it doesn't matter in this particular case.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I agree somewhat about the 4 class system. However, looking back, the Birds were ranked at least #2 or #3 every year they won state. I think they would have dispatched all opponents beneath the 5A pool so to me it doesn't matter in this particular case.

What do you mean by ranked #2 or #3?

In that run for Boyle HHS only won the class above them in '99 and '00. BCHS won their next three in AAA with Ft Thomas in the class.

I would argue to take a look, particularly at that '00 team and see if it would not have been quite the matchup. I know how good the Birds were that season but I also know the talent on that '00 team was no less than what the Birds offered. :Thumbs:
Everyone at state playoffs know Bowling Green would have spanked Fort Thomas Highlands soundly. I am not a fan of either thats just what everyone I talked to about it thought after seeing both teams.
Like others have said, it was considerably more difficult to win a championship in the 4 class system than it is today.

Also, Highlands ended their streak with a season that was one of the bigger black marks in KY football in recent history. Championship game should have been Bell vs. Boyle and maybe the outcome would have been different.
know1 Wrote:Like others have said, it was considerably more difficult to win a championship in the 4 class system than it is today.

Also, Highlands ended their streak with a season that was one of the bigger black marks in KY football in recent history. Championship game should have been Bell vs. Boyle and maybe the outcome would have been different.

What might that have been...The only BLACK MARK and travisty, was that Mike Mitchell was not allowed to play in the championship game.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/tag/highlands/page/2/

After six years of litigation, allegations, debates and discussions, the KHSAA board of control took less than five minutes to overturn sanctions that stripped the Bluebirds of 12 victories from their state-championship 2004 season.
rednack Wrote:Everyone at state playoffs know Bowling Green would have spanked Fort Thomas Highlands soundly. I am not a fan of either thats just what everyone I talked to about it thought after seeing both teams.

I was there, so not everyone thinks that. It's easy to look good when you're playing a sorry team like Anderson County. Bowling Green didn't have a good win all season. St. X was not good, so don't count that one either. Highlands with 5 straight. Where was Bowling Green for the first 4? Bad, undisciplined, and at home.
Blau Vogel Wrote:What might that have been...The only BLACK MARK and travisty, was that Mike Mitchell was not allowed to play in the championship game.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/tag/highlands/page/2/

After six years of litigation, allegations, debates and discussions, the KHSAA board of control took less than five minutes to overturn sanctions that stripped the Bluebirds of 12 victories from their state-championship 2004 season.

Typical spin. The board was tired of fighting it and it was pointless by then.
know1 Wrote:Typical spin. The board was tired of fighting it and it was pointless by then.

Typical sour grapes...The best team won state that year.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Typical sour grapes...The best team won state that year.

No argument from me. I thought HHS was better than Boyle that season as proof of their two wins over the Rebels that year. :Thumbs:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I agree somewhat about the 4 class system. However, looking back, the Birds were ranked at least #2 or #3 every year they won state. I think they would have dispatched all opponents beneath the 5A pool so to me it doesn't matter in this particular case.

We will never know the true answer. The 09, 10 Boyle teams with Lamar Dawson IMO could have had something to say. In the old 4 class system these teams where together in 3A. Not the case in the 6 class system, with the exception of this year.
know1 Wrote:Typical spin. The board was tired of fighting it and it was pointless by then.

Nah, that's not true. Not at all. And I know. BOC could have easily turned down the request by Highlands. The appeal period had expired. Had the KHSAA said "no" it was over. Highlands wasn't going to sue over it. Board only agreed to overturn the sanctions after the KHSAA's in house legal counsel looked into the situation and determined that the KHSAA had acted improperly. Trust me on that. And trust me on this: there were several people on the BOC that would have loved to have told Highlands to go stick it. They certainly did not feel that overturning the sanctions were pointless. They weren't happy about it at all, but to their credit, they voted to do, what the Commissioner himself called "the right thing". The whole situation was a Charlie Foxtrot to begin with and was handled poorly by the KHSAA and the Mitchells' counsel in my opinion from the start. There had been several players transfer from CovCath with Mitchell and one the prior year from Simon Kenton to Highlands. The others were eligible. Some coaches in N. Ky were raising a stink. The BOC decided to try and stop the trend from continuing. Used Mitchell as the "example". Bad choice by them because they had a weak case. Way overreached. Then to make matters worse, they imposed the sanctions for playing an ineligible player during a time period that he was indeed eligible. Really bad BOC leadership back then; really bad. It's night and day different now and it's different to the better.
FBfan4life Wrote:Sir just wondering why you say that. Is Highlands losing a bunch of players? What I know is that LexCath does bring back 70% on their offense and 80% of defense. Just wondering, don't need to bite my neck or call me names like you do ohters here...

I just added WideRight05 to my ignore list along with Wideleft01 who was already there.it's very easy to do, that way you don't have to read thier posts.I wonder how many more Highlands fans i'll add to that list before next season starts.
toolaidback Wrote:In order to follow in Boyles path, Highlands would have to go through a head coaching change after their 5th championship. Chuck Smith was announcing his new position on the UK coaching staff right about now(back then of course)

Chuck Smith did not leave Boyle untill after the 6th state title game.
The offense is loaded for #6, but is the 2012 defense just as solid? Lex Cath appears loaded on both sides of the ball next year and will prob be the only team to up end the birds chances for the record books.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I just added WideRight05 to my ignore list along with Wideleft01 who was already there.it's very easy to do, that way you don't have to read thier posts.I wonder how many more Highlands fans i'll add to that list before next season starts.

Somebody got their little feelings hurt so they had to be a baby about it. Grow up man. If you can't take heat from somebody that's not on your side then get a life.

I have the perfect method to shut me up, to shut WideLeft01 up and any other Highlands fan - BEAT US!

Can't wait till we win state next year so we can beat Boyle's 5-peat.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The offense is loaded for #6, but is the 2012 defense just as solid? Lex Cath appears loaded on both sides of the ball next year and will prob be the only team to up end the birds chances for the record books.

The LexCath game would be in David Cecil, correct? Birds by at least 2 tds at home.
WideRight05 Wrote:Somebody got their little feelings hurt so they had to be a baby about it. Grow up man. If you can't take heat from somebody that's not on your side then get a life.

I have the perfect method to shut me up, to shut WideLeft01 up and any other Highlands fan - BEAT US!

Can't wait till we win state next year so we can beat Boyle's 5-peat.

You aren't "beating" Boyle's 5-peat. You would be setting a mark of 6-peat that is one above. It doesn't undo what's been done but sets a new mark for what you've done.

Curious what the Birds record is these five years. It's got to be about the same as Boyle's I believe during their five year run. 73-2 is even more impressive IMO than just the 5 peat.
Bird4Life Wrote:The LexCath game would be in David Cecil, correct? Birds by at least 2 tds at home.

Easily the biggest game in 2012. I predict a sellout filled with northern kentuckians rooting for and some rooting against the Birds unfortunately. #6 will be quite a monkey with every playoff team wanting to claim the spoils of war. McCoy will rise to the occasion like he did at the Pit.
Hatz Wrote:You aren't "beating" Boyle's 5-peat. You would be setting a mark of 6-peat that is one above. It doesn't undo what's been done but sets a new mark for what you've done.

Curious what the Birds record is these five years. It's got to be about the same as Boyle's I believe during their five year run. 73-2 is even more impressive IMO than just the 5 peat.

One things for sure, Dale never filled his 5peat with cupcakes and I am not saying anything about Boyles scheduling either.
Hatz Wrote:You aren't "beating" Boyle's 5-peat. You would be setting a mark of 6-peat that is one above. It doesn't undo what's been done but sets a new mark for what you've done.

Your right that we would be setting the mark of a 6-peat which probably has not been done, but we should shut anybody up who even tried to compare Boyle County's 5-peat to ours.

If you check post #2, you will find that I already gave the two team's records for the five years of their 5-peat title runs.

Both were 73-2.

Boyle County's losses came in a three week stretch in 2002. They lost at HOME to Defending Class A champion Danville, who finished the season '02 season 11-3 (losing at home in the state semifinals to Mayfield) and on the road at West Jessamine, who finished the '02 season 7-4.

Highlands' losses came in '08 at Cincinnati Colerain, who finished the '08 season 11-2 as the Ohio Division I Region 4 runner-up, losing to Cincinnati Elder in 2 ot (Colerain was in the midst of at 60+ home field win streak) and at Ryle in the '10 regular season finale. Ryle ended the '10 season 12-2 losing to Trinity in the 6A sem-finals (Ryle's other loss was at Highlands early in the season).
Wise one Wrote:If you check post #2, you will find that I already gave the two team's records for the five years of their 5-peat title runs.

Both were 73-2.

Boyle County's losses came in a three week stretch in 2002. They lost at HOME to Defending Class A champion Danville, who finished the season '02 season 11-3 (losing at home in the state semifinals to Mayfield) and on the road at West Jessamine, who finished the '02 season 7-4.

Highlands' losses came in '08 at Cincinnati Colerain, who finished the '08 season 11-2 as the Ohio Division I Region 4 runner-up, losing to Cincinnati Elder in 2 ot (Colerain was in the midst of at 60+ home field win streak) and at Ryle in the '10 regular season finale. Ryle ended the '10 season 12-2 losing to Trinity in the 6A sem-finals (Ryle's other loss was at Highlands early in the season).

:Thumbs:

I knew when Boyle's two losses were. It was the only blip on the screen.

I don't want to get into a comparison of who beat whom in what streak. I know that Boyle demolished a lot of quality teams and state champions in other classes. Just as HHS has done along their run.

Both runs also have produced a wealth of collegiate talent on many levels. :Thumbs:
WideRight05 Wrote:Your right that we would be setting the mark of a 6-peat which probably has not been done, but we should shut anybody up who even tried to compare Boyle County's 5-peat to ours.

I think they are comparable and you will find some of the talent in Boyle's run was just as great as in the Birds' run. Both produced a plethora of talent that went on to include collegiate players on many levels from Division 1 on down.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:One things for sure, Dale never filled his 5peat with cupcakes and I am not saying anything about Boyles scheduling either.

I've never thought that Dale did. Always plays the best he can find. :Thumbs:

Boyle does likewise, then and now. :Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2 3