Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Joe Paterno Fired as Penn St. Head Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I understand why they fired him...

However, IMO him leaving at the end of the season was good enough to appease me.
But Penn State wasn't trying to appease me with this decision.

The man didn't go to the cops with this when he very well could have and in most peoples' eyes he should have.
He put it in the hands of his administration and he has suffered the cost.
I'm sure he wishes he could leave on his own terms but this is what happens when you make a choice like the one he made.

BUT!
At least 9 kids, and undoubtedly more, lost their innocence to a sick and demented man and that is the problem here.
Yes, the people handled the information wrong and they're paying the price for that.
But the price that was paid by those children far outweighs any 50+ year career in anything.
Did Paterno witness the stuff happening? If someone just told him, he probably didn't want to call the authorities if he didn't know and told others to check into it. They didn't find anything. He's an older guy, he probably thinks different anyways. I just find it ridiculous he gets fired over this after so long. He did not witness anything.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I just find it ridiculous he gets fired over this after so long. He did not witness anything.

I think Paterno's firing was more of a power move by the university board. If he didn't tell the board not to waste their time on his future, then they most likely would've let him retire or fire him after the season.

This wasn't a move based on morals and integrity, this was a university board telling JoePa "you have no power, you can't do whatever you want, F*** you Joe" this was a power move
Belfry0304 Wrote:Did Paterno witness the stuff happening? If someone just told him, he probably didn't want to call the authorities if he didn't know and told others to check into it. They didn't find anything. He's an older guy, he probably thinks different anyways. I just find it ridiculous he gets fired over this after so long. He did not witness anything.

This is bigger than football.
No one's tenure at any school is worth overlooking this crime.

They should have fired this pedophile and threw him into the lion's den.
I looked at this like Paterno did nothing wrong at first...
but the more I actually thought about it, the more I saw how wrong the man was. No matter how old he is or how different he thinks.

To think that it was 8 years before anything was really done about this after the Penn State Coaches found out about it is mind-numbing.
That is 8 years of hell for several children....
and even though the actions have hopefully came to an end, the repercussions are irreversible.
I think I read somewhere that this guy was caught doing this stuff in 1999?!?!
toussaints Wrote:I think Paterno's firing was more of a power move by the university board. If he didn't tell the board not to waste their time on his future, then they most likely would've let him retire or fire him after the season.

This wasn't a move based on morals and integrity, this was a university board telling JoePa "you have no power, you can't do whatever you want, F*** you Joe" this was a power move

I think they just wanted to show the whole world that they won't stand for this kind of behavior....
but something had to have went down today.

Late last night they said they would put together a committee on Friday and act "swiftly".
I would never have imagined "swiftly" would mean before they actually held the meeting this Friday.
zaga_fan Wrote:They should have fired this pedophile and threw him into the lion's den.

Paterno didn't molest any kids, that was Sandusky
He knew about it. He should be brought to trial for not telling the authorities. He's a grown ass man who knew little boys was being molested. Glad hes fired.
This apparently had been going on since at least 1998 and nobody did a damn thing about it. It was repeatedly covered up by attorneys and administration at Penn State. So when the assistant reported it to be Joe Pa, he should have a least thought it possibly could be true due to the track record of this man and the previous allegations that were never properly investigated. I sure wouldn't want some of these posters on here who keep saying "if he didn't see it, he shouldn't have called anyone" coaching or watching over my children. Teachers make reports all the time on parents when children make allegations. Authorities usually come out and talk to that specific teacher although they didn't witness that abuse. Why can't Joe Pa and the Nittany kitties have done the same thing. The primary reason was covering s@#$ up so Penn State wouldn't receive any bad publicity. They felt their reputation was more important then the lives of those kids. If anyone condones how this was handled at Penn State, they need to be SHOT in the privates. Penn State may be a fitting name for this school because it appears that is where many of their cronies is headed after this sick fiasco.
Also....
I don't know if this pertains to college, since most coaches/professors don't deal with juveniles on a regular basis, but in grade school and high school you are REQUIRED to report even the hint of sexual abuse.
Sad day in college football.
I am glad he was fired, whether you agree with it or not, he had a MORAL obligation to step in. Sandusky was accused or raping a kid prior to 2002 and got out of it so I am sure Paterno and the other staff members heard the rumors about his behavior. I am sure there were rumors about why Sandusky always had boys in the shower or the practice facilities. Maybe that is why the grad student at the time didn't do or tell anyone except Paterno because they all knew about the rumors. Either way, he may not have witnessed what happened, but it took place in his facilities, by one of his former coaches. If anything, upon going to the AD, he should have givent he option to the AD to call the authorities and if that didn't happen, taken it upon himself to do it. Simply telling the AD and then forgetting about it, ruined no telling how many more lives. This morning on the radio I heard it was up to 20 boys.

Paterno admitted that he knew about it (based on a deposition he took 2 years ago), admitted that he should have done more (based on is exact words). Just on those facts alone, should have and was fired.
They should have let him finish the year
It was reported yesterday that an order was given that Sandusky was not to be at the Penn St facilities when young kids were there. So, it was apparent the situation was widely known. IMO the board did the right thing. They should have cleaned house. Too bad it didn't happen long ago.
Looked like a party going on in State College last night

My stance on this: Obviously, Joe Paterno didn't do nearly enough to fix the problem. But the sad thing about all this are the real victims from all of this, which is the children who were molested by Jerry Sandusky. Media and many people are focusing their attention and hatred on Joe Paterno, because he didn't do enough.

And if that's the case, then what about Mike McQueary, who at 28 could have called police, could have stepped in and stopped Sandusky, but instead ran home to dad? or the A.D. and other administrators that didn't go to police and continued to sweep this under the rug? and the lawyers that knew about this? yes they could have lost their jobs and been disbarred, but what's more important, your job, or the safety of children?

If Paterno is going to be blamed for not calling 911 when he should have, then so should EVERYONE else.
Also, this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. this will get really bad for Penn State.
They should have let him finish the year out IMO.
You read that Grand Jury Investigation and the entire University officials all need to be fired and brought up on charges. This is SICKENING! I can hardly read it!
WALL2WALL Wrote:They should have let him finish the year out IMO.

Bullshit - this SOB knew shit was going on and he KEPT Sandusky on his staff, Hell No - Paterno is as culpable for allowing this to continue in HIS program!
I'm not sure whether I am more amused or disgusted by all the holier than thou posts each extending his/her own moral compass to this matter.

First and foremost, none of you know any of the actual facts. Neither do I. Your "righteous indignation"" is based solely upon what is being reported in the media. That is not fact. But, of course, that is how the "lynch mob mentality" normally exhibits itself. Let's not wait on the facts. Let's make our judgment, act like we are horrified, do our best to destroy a superior individual, and have it all done long before we know any facts. As usual, raw emotion rules the day.

Even the authorities admit that Paterno did nothing wrong from a legal sense. His transgressions, so they and most of you say, were in the moral realm. I don't need to rehash what Paterno did when informed of whatever he was actually informed of since legally he did the right thing in informing his superior. We can argue "moral" all we want but, unfortunately in this country and this world, "moral" seems to be in the eyes of the beholder.

I don't find fault with the board of trustees. Their duty is to minimize the damage to Penn State University and to sacrifice whomever needs to be sacrificed in order to do so. That's what was done.

However, under the circumstances, I seriously doubt that any of you indignant moral judges would have handled the situation any different than did Paterno. All this "he should have done this ..." and "I would have done that ..." is nothing more than bloviating. Given the same history, circumstances, relationships with others, reputation, status, legal contracts, and so forth, the truth is that few, if any, of you would have done anything any different than did Paterno. To ride your high horse of moral purity and indignation now is disingenuous at best and laughable at worst.
^ Look, you may be perfectly content with watching your buddy or co-worker fondel an adolescent and you would do nothing about (probably laugh about it over a few beers), but I would bet that the other 99.999% of the people on this site would not have associated with the bullshit that is in the Grand Jury Investigation. I could care less about this being "Legally" culpable, Paterno allowed this guy to stay on his staff after numerous incidents of child molestation - Even giving they guy 2 NEW CONTRACTS during the time of these reports coming to Jo Pa!
Truth Wrote:I'm not sure whether I am more amused or disgusted by all the holier than thou posts each extending his/her own moral compass to this matter.

First and foremost, none of you know any of the actual facts. Neither do I. Your "righteous indignation"" is based solely upon what is being reported in the media. That is not fact. But, of course, that is how the "lynch mob mentality" normally exhibits itself. Let's not wait on the facts. Let's make our judgment, act like we are horrified, do our best to destroy a superior individual, and have it all done long before we know any facts. As usual, raw emotion rules the day.

Even the authorities admit that Paterno did nothing wrong from a legal sense. His transgressions, so they and most of you say, were in the moral realm. I don't need to rehash what Paterno did when informed of whatever he was actually informed of since legally he did the right thing in informing his superior. We can argue "moral" all we want but, unfortunately in this country and this world, "moral" seems to be in the eyes of the beholder.

I don't find fault with the board of trustees. Their duty is to minimize the damage to Penn State University and to sacrifice whomever needs to be sacrificed in order to do so. That's what was done.

However, under the circumstances, I seriously doubt that any of you indignant moral judges would have handled the situation any different than did Paterno. All this "he should have done this ..." and "I would have done that ..." is nothing more than bloviating. Given the same history, circumstances, relationships with others, reputation, status, legal contracts, and so forth, the truth is that few, if any, of you would have done anything any different than did Paterno. To ride your high horse of moral purity and indignation now is disingenuous at best and laughable at worst.
:please::lame::flush: You are sick dude. He knew about kids getting raped. SD is right, not near enough people are getting what they should in this case. Read the Grand Jury report.
Stardust Wrote:You read that Grand Jury Investigation and the entire University officials all need to be fired and brought up on charges. This is SICKENING! I can hardly read it!
After reading that report, I can only wonder how my wife stays sane, while doing her job. Anybody that takes up for the "not doing anything" people in this story are just as sick as they are.
Stardust Wrote:Bullshit - this SOB knew shit was going on and he KEPT Sandusky on his staff, Hell No - Paterno is as culpable for allowing this to continue in HIS program!

Can we apply your "standard" to you and those whom you assiciate with and support. I'm not sure if you are actually St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine. Your verdict without the facts surely indicate that you must be one of these great saints.

Grand jury testimony, for your information, merely presents one side of the equation. It is not necessarily, as legal history clearly illustrates, conclusive or even factual.

A highly esteemed retired circuit judge once told me that he believed that the one telling the better lie often won the lawsuit. I have found time and again that that is a factual conclusion.

Your approach is to execute first and learn the facts later. Although I doubt it to be the case, Paterno may be culpable in some manner. However, I would suggest that he has the right to the assumption of innocence until proven otherwise. That is how the system works when prudent minds call the shots. Stardust is not a prudent mind. Nor is TheRealVille. They are reactionaries with a lynch mob mentality. They don't want to be confused by the facts particularly if the facts are different from their own prejudicial conclusions.
Stardust Wrote:Even giving they guy 2 NEW CONTRACTS during the time of these reports coming to Jo Pa!

I agree with your whole post, but to address just the new deals. those contracts were given by the A.D. because he was the head coach in waiting. When the school announces that an assistant is the head coach in waiting, it takes away the head coaches power to fire or demote him.
Truth Wrote:Can we apply your "standard" to you and those whom you assiciate with and support. I'm not sure if you are actually St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine. Your verdict without the facts surely indicate that you must be one of these great saints.

Grand jury testimony, for your information, merely presents one side of the equation. It is not necessarily, as legal history clearly illustrates, conclusive or even factual.

A highly esteemed retired circuit judge once told me that he believed that the one telling the better lie often won the lawsuit. I have found time and again that that is a factual conclusion.

Your approach is to execute first and learn the facts later. Although I doubt it to be the case, Paterno may be culpable in some manner. However, I would suggest that he has the right to the assumption of innocence until proven otherwise. That is how the system works when prudent minds call the shots. Stardust is not a prudent mind. Nor is TheRealVille. They are reactionaries with a lynch mob mentality. They don't want to be confused by the facts particularly if the facts are different from their own prejudicial conclusions.
If you would listen to Joe, you would hear enough facts, rather than take up for him. "I wish I had done more", "Please pray for these kids". He isn't denying anything. The assistant saw the rape, and reported it to Joe, and Joe kept this guy on his staff. BTW, I think he(the assistant) is just as guilty as Joe, because he didn't stop the rape when he saw it going on.
Truth Wrote:I'm not sure whether I am more amused or disgusted by all the holier than thou posts each extending his/her own moral compass to this matter.

I cant believe what i just read...

He did nothing wrong??... I want to get this straight your telling me that if you knew little kids were being molested you would do nothing about it and keep having relations with the ppl that were doing it??

If thats the case your a sick individual
Whoa.........after reading your posts Truth, I am beginning to think you are a defense lawyer.
Truth Wrote:Can we apply your "standard" to you and those whom you assiciate with and support. I'm not sure if you are actually St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine. Your verdict without the facts surely indicate that you must be one of these great saints.

LOL - yep, and so is the Penn State Board of Trustees! Hell, even Joe Paterno himself "I wish I would have done more" (since he did nothing dating back to 1996 and the first incident that was reported, yet Jo Pa continued to let a "suspected" child molestor come into (not Penn States) Paterno's locker room, nah - Jo Pa did nothing wrong (except allowed the Molestor to continue over and over and over and over to bring adolescents into the shower facilities). Nah, you are right, we are all being too hard on Paterno!

Oh, Matt Millen - one of the most famous alumni of Penn St answering the simple question "Should Paterno have been fired", his reply "Yes". Shame on Matt for being so 'accusatory'. Millen also added: "You can't walk away from it. I may have killed [Sandusky].'' I guess walking away from it should not include Paterno for letting Sandusky back into the locker room. Shame on all of us who don't like the idea of child molestation:dudecomeon:
Mike McQueary should be fired also
Pages: 1 2 3 4