Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Joe Paterno Fired as Penn St. Head Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ballers Wrote:That is pretty sick, but this isn't Joe's fault.

I've never blamed Joe for the incident, I've blamed Joe for allowing this to happen and keeping the guy around so it could happen multiple more times!
Belfry0304 Wrote:After reading more into it, the facts are maybe Paterno did handle it wrong, but there are many more people at fault here besides him. Poorly handled situation all the way around.

Yes, because Paterno is the face of that football program and pretty much the school, that is all you are going to hear about in the media. Even though the grad assistant and AD are more to blame, IMO. I believe the school board had to do something drastic to save face and that is why they fired Paterno than letting him retire. Again, IMO.
judgementday Wrote:Yes, because Paterno is the face of that football program and pretty much the school, that is all you are going to hear about in the media. Even though the grad assistant and AD are more to blame, IMO. I believe the school board had to do something drastic to save face and that is why they fired Paterno than letting him retire. Again, IMO.

I buy what you are saying and you stated it very well. However, this went on for years yet the face of the school did not keep this child molestor out of HIS locker room! Joe's words will haunt him forever, he should have done more. So Joe has admitted he KNEW!!!

There is absolutely no questioning who is the evil one here, that is Sandusky. But those who choose to cover up their dirty laundry pay the price as well. For Joe Pa, if he could have prevented ONE MOLESTATION, then nothing that happens to him today is even close to what happened under his watch!
Stardust Wrote:I buy what you are saying and you stated it very well. However, this went on for years yet the face of the school did not keep this child molestor out of HIS locker room! Joe's words will haunt him forever, he should have done more. So Joe has admitted he KNEW!!!

There is absolutely no questioning who is the evil one here, that is Sandusky. But those who choose to cover up their dirty laundry pay the price as well. For Joe Pa, if he could have prevented ONE MOLESTATION, then nothing that happens to him today is even close to what happened under his watch!

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with him getting fired and the reasons for it...
Stardust Wrote:I've never blamed Joe for the incident, I've blamed Joe for allowing this to happen and keeping the guy around so it could happen multiple more times!

I know and I agree with that, he was wrong in doing so and deserved being fired. I'm saying he wasn't the only one at fault and even though he was the face of the program, he didn't have as much authority as a lot of people thought he had.

and the robber thing was a joke at calipari and recruiting. had nothing to do with this situation
Joe slept like a baby for 10 years knowing that he had a child molester on his coaching squad. He was more worried about winning football games then the well being of innocent children. In the case that he knew that the incidents occurred and brushed it off for a win on Saturday. Myself i would like to see his head on a platter. Any Man, Woman ANYONE that knowingly allowed a sick bastard like that in there locker room after what happened is sick. It basically came down to Football. And its a crying shame knowing that football meant more to this man than little children being molested.
I agree Wildcat. He's says he wished he had done more. Well, why didn't he? He had at least 12 years to do so and did absolutely nothing.
I wonder how many people on this website claim to be christians yet to do not follow one of jesus' most important teaching of "Judge lest ye be judged". This thread is getting ridiculous and needs to be closed IMO.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I wonder how many people on this website claim to be christians yet to do not follow one of jesus' most important teaching of "Judge lest ye be judged". This thread is getting ridiculous and needs to be closed IMO.
I wonder how many people here don't know the actual meaning of this verse, while using it against others?
TheRealVille Wrote:I wonder how many people here don't know the actual meaning of this verse, while using it against others?

Preach on Brother RealVille!!!!!:biggrin:Confusedinglepar
Theres also something else that could have happened that influenced paterno to not do more than what was legally required. He and sandusky worked together for many years so Im sure sandusky had some dirt on paterno that couldve seriously damged his-up until last week-sterling reputation in the college football community....Just something to think about.
Good, I'm very disappointed in JoePa for sweeping this under the rug. What a joke.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I wonder how many people on this website claim to be christians yet to do not follow one of jesus' most important teaching of "Judge lest ye be judged". This thread is getting ridiculous and needs to be closed IMO.

Really? Because you disagree with it? Come on...this isn't about your Jesus.
Most of you need to read more about this, and work on your comprehension skills. We're not saying JoePa is anything close to a child molester or at fault or anything like that...we're questioning how he could still let this guy around WITH kids, when he had already been accused and the kids weren't believed. These are facts.
vundy33 Wrote:Most of you need to read more about this, and work on your comprehension skills. We're not saying JoePa is anything close to a child molester or at fault or anything like that...we're questioning how he could still let this guy around WITH kids, when he had already been accused and the kids weren't believed. These are facts.

Not only Accused,

Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

He should have been fired then. If not before. How could you work day by day with someone that you know done this?

I know he retired but was still allowed on the campus with little boys. COME ON!

IT was all about football.
TheRealVille Wrote:I wonder how many people here don't know the actual meaning of this verse, while using it against others?

Amen my brother. It's easy to preach scripture, yet knowing what it means is a challenge that not many want to pursue!
All im saying guys is chill out on the accusations. Quite frankly I could care less either way I am not involved in this, I have no children involved in this (sandusky is lucky on that one). Neither do any of us. The police apparently have this case on lockdown There is no need going crazy about it.

As for Judge lest ye be judged what I am saying is that we all have things in our lives looking back on with Hindsight that we should have done differently. Hindsight is 20/20 gentlemen. I in no way agree with any of what happened but we all need to step back and take a breath before we destroy a mans career even more. Should he have handled it differently? yes, he should have but he did not molest children, and he at least reported it to the AD. Im not seeing threads about the DA who let this go, or the assistant who didn't take it higher up, or the AD for that matter or the probably hundred other people who knew what was going on and did nothing.
^ You obviously have not read a single post on here then! No one blamed Paterno of child molestation, but he sure had a chance (along with several others) to prevent it. Bottom-line, the figure head of the program had a repeat child molester in his presence and did not do enough to keep him off of his premises. For that, he deserved to be removed from his post in dishonor!
It's really a question of how much Paterno knew, a question most of perhaps don't want answered.
^ Agreed, and I think that is what is burning with most of the alumni like Todd Blackledge and Matt Millen.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:All im saying guys is chill out on the accusations. Quite frankly I could care less either way I am not involved in this, I have no children involved in this (sandusky is lucky on that one). Neither do any of us. The police apparently have this case on lockdown There is no need going crazy about it.

As for Judge lest ye be judged what I am saying is that we all have things in our lives looking back on with Hindsight that we should have done differently. Hindsight is 20/20 gentlemen. I in no way agree with any of what happened but we all need to step back and take a breath before we destroy a mans career even more. Should he have handled it differently? yes, he should have but he did not molest children, and he at least reported it to the AD. Im not seeing threads about the DA who let this go, or the assistant who didn't take it higher up, or the AD for that matter or the probably hundred other people who knew what was going on and did nothing.

Nobody is talking about the AD and/or now assistant coach that walked in on Sandusky in the shower because there hasn't been a thread created about them yet. This thread was started in response to Paterno being fired but it as already been stated that the AD and assistant were more to blame than Paterno, he just happened to be in some sense the face of that school and based on his legacy, he is the only person everyone is fixated on. Speaking of the AD back then, it was good to hear he was arrested for this...
Belfry0304 Wrote:It's really a question of how much Paterno knew, a question most of perhaps don't want answered.

The more I read into all this, it looks more like Paterno didn't know as much as a lot think. In 2002, the university told McQueary and I guess Paterno that after the universities investigation they took Sandusky's access to the football facilities away and told The Second Mile about it. University and State police took no further action. Still believed he had to be fired though

I'm more upset with University police, State College police, and Pennsylvania officials for failing to put a stop to it in 1998 when they had the chance. They heard Sandusky admit to hugging and showering with a victim and Sandusky admitted it was wrong. Instead of putting him in jail or rehab with the evidence they had, they close the case and didn't seek any criminal charges. That was the police, and they did nothing.
Belfry0304 Wrote:It's really a question of how much Paterno knew, a question most of perhaps don't want answered.

The more I read into all this, it looks more like Paterno didn't know as much as a lot think. In 2002, the university told McQueary and I guess Paterno that after the universities investigation they took Sandusky's access to the football facilities away and told The Second Mile about it. University and State police took no further action. Still believed he had to be fired though

I'm more upset with University police, State College police, and Pennsylvania officials for failing to put a stop to it in 1998 when they had the chance. They heard Sandusky admit to hugging and showering with a victim and Sandusky admitted it was wrong. Instead of putting him in jail or rehab with the evidence they had, they close the case and didn't seek any criminal charges. That was the police, and they did nothing.
toussaints Wrote:The more I read into all this, it looks more like Paterno didn't know as much as a lot think. In 2002, the university told McQueary and I guess Paterno that after the universities investigation they took Sandusky's access to the football facilities away and told The Second Mile about it. University and State police took no further action. Still believed he had to be fired though

Curly and Schultz both appear to be in serious hot water and charges are likely to be brought against them. Who directed McQueary to talk to Curly & Schultz? Paterno! This has the stink of a cover-up by all involved. McQueary would not have told Curly & Schultz anything different than what he told Paterno.

This thread is about Paterno and as to whether he should have lost his job. The answer is yes, just as much as it is for all the others who have lost their job. I think that is no longer a question. This is taking the direction of legal charges being brought up against all involved for potential miss-handling, and those charges will likely be brought against Paterno once McQueary is put on the stand. That appears to be why Paterno has gotten such a high-powered attorney.
toussaints Wrote:The more I read into all this, it looks more like Paterno didn't know as much as a lot think. In 2002, the university told McQueary and I guess Paterno that after the universities investigation they took Sandusky's access to the football facilities away and told The Second Mile about it. University and State police took no further action. Still believed he had to be fired though

You are correct about the 1998 incident. The police and state officials may have should have done more but it is my understanding that the case was closed when the district attorney(who has since disappeared) refused to press charges. He is the one actually to blame. He is the prosecutor. Do you think political pressure from the school or boosters may have had something to do with it. In 2002, I do not believe the police or investigating agencies were contacted. It was handled in-house. If you try to convince me that from the time that Sanbuttsky was hired until this scandal, that JoePa was only aware of the 2002 incident in which a graduate assistant informed him of sexual abuse. I have one thing to say, BULL@#$%. I think he was aware of the rumors and allegations all along concerning Sanbuttsky but he passed the buck instead of ever taking action. He is responsible for his staff and so he should have been FIRED.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You are correct about the 1998 incident. The police and state officials may have should have done more but it is my understanding that the case was closed when the district attorney(who has since disappeared) refused to press charges. He is the one actually to blame. He is the prosecutor. Do you think political pressure from the school or boosters may have had something to do with it.

good question, maybe there was pressure from Penn State, but what consequences does a prosecutor face when faced with that pressure? the guy was the district attorney, his job is to fight for those who can't fight by themselves and bring justice to those that are guilty. Sandusky admitted he was guilty of the crime then, so what reason is there for this sleeze ball to not seek criminal charges?
So Ohio State was hit with a "failure to monitor" charge........does anyone think that Penn State may get hit with something similar?
The fact of the matter is that the police don't deal in hearsay, and second hand info. If Paterno had told the police what he overheard without the name of the boy, the worst that could've happened to Sandusky is them questioning him. Therefore he would have known of the investigation, and been able to cover it up. Then if the allegations proved untrue Paterno could have been sued for a whole host of things. There is no reason to grill paterno for this.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:The fact of the matter is that the police don't deal in hearsay, and second hand info. If Paterno had told the police what he overheard without the name of the boy, the worst that could've happened to Sandusky is them questioning him. Therefore he would have known of the investigation, and been able to cover it up. Then if the allegations proved untrue Paterno could have been sued for a whole host of things. There is no reason to grill paterno for this.

Wait a second, Paterno did not overhear something at the watercooler, he had an EYEWITNSESS come and tell him about it! WOW, several more little boys are molested because HE DIDN'T do enough, and that's OK with you!!! WOW!
I don't see how anyone could actually defend anyone associated with this program anymore. THEY ALL KNEW!!! They kept it quiet for over 10 years and now it is blowing up in their faces and rightfully so. JoePa, McQueary, the AD and Senior VP, even the president of the univeristy all turned their backs on the victims so that they could protect the 'Penn State' image. It will take decades before this incident is no longer hanging over their program.
Pages: 1 2 3 4