Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Belfry 10/7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ashlands comes in with one loss to probally best team in WV,Belfry comes in undefeated and scoring alot of points,this will be Belfry biggest test of the yr thus far, Ashland can spread it out of run, going be tuff for the Pirates,I think Belfry only has 2 wins in this series,who you got and why?
When is this game
Stardust Wrote:When is this game

next friday night
Belfry done well last year at Ashland.Much better team this year could pull this one off if they play well,no turnovers,and stop any big pass plays good luck Ashland helps us get better for the playoffs.TongueirateSho
I have watched Ashland play this year this is going to be a good game the Pirates has more speed on both sides of the ball but Ashland has a good team so the Pirates has to be ready and they will be fine.
Belfry wins in a hard fought game
Taking Belfry with the home field advantage. Should be a large crowd packed tight with Pirate fans!
Ashland's D-Line impressed me earlier this season. It will take a complete effort from the Tomcat D. I think Ashland needs to pus up at least 21-28 to get the W.
cuppett777 Wrote:Ashlands comes in with one loss to probally best team in WV,Belfry comes in undefeated and scoring alot of points,this will be Belfry biggest test of the yr thus far, Ashland can spread it out of run, going be tuff for the Pirates,I think Belfry only has 2 wins in this series,who you got and why?

Yes I believe they've played 17 or 18 times, Ashland has won 15 or 16. But yea belfry has only won 2. But just about always a great game an I expect no less this year. Lookin forward to this one. Lots of big hits, an as everyone knows the Tomcats will spread the field on them making it tough to defend. I was wondering if belfry sees much of this through the season? haven't seen belfry this year I'm assuming there pretty good got them 3rd in 3a. I don't look for a blowout either way probably come down to last few mins.
I'll say
Tomcats 26
Pirates 20
BADCAT74 Wrote:Yes I believe they've played 17 or 18 times, Ashland has won 15 or 16. But yea belfry has only won 2. But just about always a great game an I expect no less this year. Lookin forward to this one. Lots of big hits, an as everyone knows the Tomcats will spread the field on them making it tough to defend. I was wondering if belfry sees much of this through the season? haven't seen belfry this year I'm assuming there pretty good got them 3rd in 3a. I don't look for a blowout either way probably come down to last few mins.
I'll say
Tomcats 26
Pirates 20

P-burg spread them out, and lite them up through the air,but Belfry did manage enough stops, and P-burg couldnt stop Belfrys rushing game, make my pick later in the week,toss up
I'm going to take Coach Haywood and his Pirates in this one.

Belfry 23
Ashland 16
I'll take the Pirates by 4..
is this the game Haywood can match all time wins?
This one is tough to pick but i think Ashland can pull out the victory but not many teams leave cam with a win.
Belfry=35
Ashland=28

Going To Be A Great Game!

Go Get'em Belfry!
Belfry will be PUMPED and they're at home, not alot of people come into CAM and leave with a W.

Belfry 41
Ashland 36
pirate_time Wrote:is this the game Haywood can match all time wins?

He is two wins away from tying Coach Hilton, three wins away from the record himself. Thoughts and predictions later in the week.
I keep seeing everyone say that it's tough to get a W at the cam, yet the Tomcats do it every other year, no disrespect intended to Belfry. It just seems to me Ashland has Belfry's number just like Johnson Central has Ashland's. This is not the same Tomcat team the Pirates saw last year, these boys have a serious D. They are the only team to hold GW under 20 and only 1 of 2 teams to hold them under 35. And if you look at the offense you'll find a solid running game just as lethal as their extremely potent passing game. If there is a weakness to the Tomcats I haven't seen it except for the one team who beat them with, believe it or not, more speed than the Tomcats had. This is always a good game,but the same is usually said of Ironton too, and it wasn't quite up to par this year.
Always_A_Lion Wrote:I keep seeing everyone say that it's tough to get a W at the cam, yet the Tomcats do it every other year, no disrespect intended to Belfry. It just seems to me Ashland has Belfry's number just like Johnson Central has Ashland's. This is not the same Tomcat team the Pirates saw last year, these boys have a serious D. They are the only team to hold GW under 20 and only 1 of 2 teams to hold them under 35. And if you look at the offense you'll find a solid running game just as lethal as their extremely potent passing game. If there is a weakness to the Tomcats I haven't seen it except for the one team who beat them with, believe it or not, more speed than the Tomcats had. This is always a good game,but the same is usually said of Ironton too, and it wasn't quite up to par this year.

Ashland wins at CAM because they're a top tier program year in, year out. There's not many places in the state that's tougher to win at than CAM Stadium.

And these boys have a serious running game. They have a good back for every type of run, multiple backs at that. Need a speedy off tackle back? Got two. Need a big, strong short yardage back? Got three. Need a mix of both, got two, and probably the best in the speedy and strong Jonathan Robinson.

In my opinion, if the Belfry defense can stop the Spread run Ashland runs and the PA pass, get 180+ rushing yards and complete at least a few passes to open up the PA game for one or two huge PA passing gains, they'll win it. I just think this is Belfry's year, and their year to beat Ashland good.
Belfry will be able to run the ball a little. If they can keep the Kittens honest with a passing game.

Ashand has more speed than Belfry.

All of these predictions of 30 or 40 points being put up in this game are not going to happen.

Kittens 20
Pirate 14
Gonna be a slobber knocker! I'll take the Cats in a CLOSE one.
FBALL Wrote:Belfry will be able to run the ball a little. If they can keep the Kittens honest with a passing game.

All of these predictions of 30 or 40 points being put up in this game are not going to happen.

Kittens 20
Pirate 14

Would you like to wager a bet on the highlighted section? NOT saying that Ashland isn't a speedy team nor a good football team BUT this is NOT the team Ashland saw last year either. Belfry might just shock you with the amount of speed they put on the field AND standing on the sideline!!!
Ashland has one true speed burner in Massey. Their team speed is hard to match. Belfry may have the top 40 times from two or three guys but The kittens don't have a slow guy on the field. Especially on defense. They swarm to the ball.

Where I do think Belfry will have an advantage is running straight at them. Ironton and Russell both had some success doing that but turnovers and lack of passing games allowed Ashland to stack the box against them both.

What's the wager and who Is the judge. It's kind of a suubjective topic.
Ashland is GOOD. They've taken Belfry behind the woodshed 17 of the 19 times they've ever played. However, the past two years have been considered "down years" for Belfry. I'm aware the Pirates went to state last year, but early in the season they were not very good at all. Ashland still didn't massacre Belfry. Worth noting the two teams didn't play in 2007, one of the best Belfry teams possibly of all time.

The stands are gonna be packed this Friday. It's homecoming, and everyone comes in for that. It'll be interesting to see how Ashland holds down our backfield of Robinson, Johnson, Dixon, and Willis. (They totally need a nickname.) Even though Belfry tried to set up a tough schedule, it didn't work out the way they wanted so Ashland will the best test yet. Even though Henry Clay wasn't as good as we hoped they're still not BAD and we got a good look at speed.

I'm never gonna pick against my Pirates, but this may be the game that changes the loss column. Tough, tough home game. Pirate Nation needs to get out, and get hype, and hopefully send Ashland packing.

28-21 BHS
The young Belfry squad from last year gave Ashland a very good game at Putnam before finally losing by 2 TDs. Both teams are more experienced and this should be a very entertaining game.

Belfry has a couple of pretty quick runners, but their team speed is very noticeable. They pursue well on defense. Still, though, their biggest asset is they have a lot of depth. They are using fewer 2-way players than ever before and they have a group of about 6-7 guys in the backfield that they can interchange and not give up much if anything. Same story on the line, expecially the defensive line. They have some small quick guys and then also some jumbo guys they use depending on the situation. This has resulted in them being fresher late in the game than their opponents. It was noticeable at Henry Clay and it paid big dividends at Prestonsburg as well.

Ashland poses problems they haven't faced yet and they are the best team on the Pirate's schedule to date. Belfry will attemp to control the time of possession and keep Ashland's defense on the field as much as possible. On defense, they will probably try to take something away and force the Tomcats into a one dimensional game. If they can take away the run and force them to pass, they will be happy. Then they will probably hang back in a zone, play coverage, rush 3 with the occasional blitz, and try to keep the ball in front of them. They will give up some underneath stuff but focus on trying to take away the big play. At least in theory.

Of course none of that is official, just my musings based on watching and listening to Coach Haywood over the last 27 years.
Always_A_Lion Wrote:I keep seeing everyone say that it's tough to get a W at the cam, yet the Tomcats do it every other year, no disrespect intended to Belfry.

Actually Ashland has only won 1 game at Cam Stadium, 2009.

Before that, I can't remember them playing at Belfry very often. Prior to 2009, the last time I remember them coming to Belfry was in 1990. That was one heck of a good high school football team.
FBALL Wrote:Belfry will be able to run the ball a little. If they can keep the Kittens honest with a passing game.

Kittens 20
Pirate 14

not sure yet of score but dont think there will be alot of points.
they also need to use the tightend(Messer)like they did last night,i have been saying that all year, the kid can catch anything,also let Dotson use his speed at the wideout spot and go down field...
It's a shame Ashland doesnt use Massey very much. Hes a nightmare for defenses with his athleticism.
But, Ashland gets knocked off their horse this week, Belfry-28 Ashland-10
I'm glad to hear Ashland is fast. Henry Clay was pretty fast too, and that will prepare us for the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8