Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan 48 Middlesboro 42 OT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sounds like it was a shootout!
listened to it online...was a good game. congrats to the dragons and dragon fans...big win.
The officiating crew tonight at the game was the worst crew that I have ever seen in my life. I am not saying that they cheated for anyone; I am just saying that they are terrible. Every flag was a 2-3 minute conference and they acted like they had no clue what was going on most of the game. Look at the boxscore of the game and check out the penalties. Most of them that were called both ways were bad calls, and they hardly ever threw a flag on an actual penalty. Something needs to be done about the officiating in SE KY.

I am not saying that all of the crews are bad, but most of them are not very good.
Been to many a high school game and tonight I saw something that I have never seen before, after scoring a TD Middlesboro kicked off from Harlan's 30 yard line. Two consecutive personal fouls were called and both were administered on the kickoff. Unreal!
hitemup Wrote:The officiating crew tonight at the game was the worst crew that I have ever seen in my life. I am not saying that they cheated for anyone; I am just saying that they are terrible. Every flag was a 2-3 minute conference and they acted like they had no clue what was going on most of the game. Look at the boxscore of the game and check out the penalties. Most of them that were called both ways were bad calls, and they hardly ever threw a flag on an actual penalty. Something needs to be done about the officiating in SE KY.

I am not saying that all of the crews are bad, but most of them are not very good.

I agree the officiating was horrific!!!! I've never in my life seen a team kick off the opposing teams 30 yd line.
What about a block in the back on Harlan, while they were on defense???? I have watched a whole lot of football in my time, and that was a first for me...
Congrats Harlan!
Well, I had a change of heart in this one mid-week, and it just about came to fruition. Congrats to both squads
That has to be the greatest high school football game that I have ever wittnessed. It had a little of everything. Great passing,great catches,great kicks,big hits,bigtime runs and two very good coached teams. Congrats to the Dragons and their fans too cause they just about suffered heart attacks there at the end of regulation and overtime. I will add that if not for several special teams blunders,we would have won outright without overtime. Still a great win for this mighty Dragon team they left it all on the field. They are,in my estimation, developing into a contender for the region. The Yellowjacket's needn't hang their heads they also left it on the field. I said it before the game and I will say it now,These two teams are about as evenly matched as any two teams could be. Who knows what happens on another night,but tonight belonged to the Dragons. GO BIG GREEN!!!!!
I saw the harlan db's hanging all over the middlesboro receivers atleast 4 straight plays. however that isnt the reason for the loss for middlesboro. Harlan was better than i had thought and played well tonight.The big catch made on the side line for harlan in the 4th quarter on 4th down the wr was out of bounds by a foot and a half by the time he had control of the ball. Middlesboro wr dropped atleast 7 wide open passes included one on 3rd down in ot which would have tied the game. chase threw 3 picks one for a harlan td and another on 1st and goal those 2 plays with the missed field goal on the last play was the difference
Question...How did Saragas for Harlan look compared to Roark?

:haters:
PHSForever Wrote:Question...How did Saragas for Harlan look compared to Roark?

:haters:

I can't wait for the stats to come out on this one,PHSForever, There must have been aproaching if not over 800 yds combined passing tonight. Not sure which QB had the most but both teams really let it fly tonight.
Harlan County Sports: Football: Dragons rally for overtime win over Middlesboro
Friday, September 9
Dragons rally for overtime win over Middlesboro

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

MIDDLESBORO — A defense that gave up 42 points and a special teams unit that failed on three extra points would not normally be due for praise. But both came through in the clutch Friday for the visiting Harlan Green Dragons as they rallied for a thrilling 48-42 overtime win over Middlesboro.

After blowing an early 21-7 lead, the Green Dragons found themselves down by nine with seven minutes left. A 5-yard touchdown pass on fourth down cut the deficit to three. The Dragons then recovered a well-executed kick onside kick and Eric Young hit a 22-yard field goal with 1:22 left to tie the game.

Middlesboro almost won in regulation as senior quarterback Chase Roark drove the Jackets down the field. A pass to Deshawn Harris gave Middlesboro a first down on the Harlan 3 with time for one play. Freshman Cole Frazier, who hit all six extra point attempts, missed a 20-yard field goal attempt, sending the game into overtime.

Harlan needed only one play to reach the end zone as Cody Logan went 10 yards up the middle. The Dragons again missed an extra point, meaning Middlesboro could win with a touchdown and kick.

The Harlan defense stepped up when it counted most giving up no yards on four plays to preserve the win.

Junior quarterback Ty Saragas had another big game for the 2-1 Dragons as he completed 22 of 35 attempts for 368 yards. Roark connected on 19 of 47 passes for 283 yards. The Dragons had three interceptions, but Roark was hurt even more by numerous dropped passes.

Harlan's defense came up with the first score of the game as Dalton Overbay pressured Roark into a mistake. Dakota Morris stepped in front of pass and returned it 55 yards for a touchdown.

Middlesboro answered with a drive covering 65 yards in eight plays. Roark found Zach Riddle for a 16-yard touchdown pass. Frazier's extra point put the Jackets up 7-6.

A 41-yard catch by junior receiver David Allen was the big play in a Harlan drive that ended on a 1-yard run by Saragas, who teamed with senior Vince Bianchi for the two-point conversion to put Harlan up 14-7 with 6:01 to play in the first quarter.

Harlan added one more drive before the quarter ended, marching 67 yards in eight plays. Bianchi caught a pass from Saragas, then dodged three Middlesboro defenders on the way to a 19-yard touchdown pass. Ryland Atkins' extra point gave the Dragons a 21-7 lead with 31 seconds to play in the first quarter.

Middlesboro battled back in the second quarter as Roark directed an eight-play, 58-yard drive capped by Mike's 19-yard run wit 7:46 left in the period. Frazier hit the extra point to cut the deficit to 21-14.

The Jackets needed only three plays to score again after recovering an onside kick on the Harlan 33. A 32-yard pass from Roark to Austin Poindexter set up Roark's 1-yard touchdown run. Frazier's kick tied the game at 21 with 7:05 left in the half.

Harlan avoided disaster when David Allen recovered Young's fumble on the kickoff. The Dragons regained the momentum as Morris ran 24 yards and Logan went 43 for a touchdown. The extra point attempt was blocked, but the Dragons had regained the lead, at 27-21, and the momentum.

Roark took it back as he covered 54 yards on four carries against the tiring Harlan defense. Roark covered the final 10 yards through the air as he found Poindexter for the touchdown. Frazier's extra point put the Jackets up 28-27 with 2:15 to play in the second quarter.

Harlan needed only two plays to answer as Young had an 11-yard catch and Bianchi took a pass away from two defenders for a 69-yard touchdown. Saragas' pass on the two-point attempt was incomplete but the Dragons were back on top at 33-28 with 1:55 left in the half.

Poindexter and Deshawn Harris had catches as Middlesboro quickly covered 82 yards in six plays on its second drive of the second half. Junior fullback Dalton Hughett ran 23 yards to the Harlan 15. After a personal foul penalty on the Dragons, Hughett went the final 9 yards for a touchdown with 5:00 left in the third quarter. Frazier hit the extra point for a 35-33 Middlesboro lead.

The teams traded interceptions in the third quarter as Roark threw two and Saragas one.

Harlan drove deep into Middlesboro territory early in the fourth quarter with the help of a screen pass from Saragas to Morris that covered 28 yards. The drive stalled at the Middlesboro and Young was wide left on a 31-yard field goal attempt with 8:38 to play in the game.

Middlesboro needed only four plays to reach the end zone. Tanner Mike had a 36-yard run to set up a perfect 41-yard touchdown strike from Roark to RIddle with 7:04 left in the game. Frazier hit the extra point for a 42-33 lead.

Haran converted two huge fourth-down plays on a scoring drive that covered 58 yards in eight plays. Saragas teamed with Morris for a 56-yard play, then found Bianchi on a fourth-and-goal pass from the 5 with four minutes left. Young's extra point was blocked and the Dragons trailed 42-39.

A perfectly executed onside kick gave the Dragons the ball back as Young kicked it and recovered on the MIddlesboro 49. Morris and WIlliams each picked up first downs on the ground and Bianchi had a one-catch before going out of bounds. Facing a fourth-and-goal from the 5, Donahue elected to go for the tying field goal and Young connected from 22 yards away with 1:22 left.

Harlan 21 12 0 9 6— 48

Middlesboro 7 21 7 7 0— 42

H — Morris 55 interception return (kick blocked)

M — Riddle 16 pass from Roark (Frazier kick)

H — Saragas 1 run (Bianchi pass from Saragas)

H — Bianchi 16 pass from Saragas (Atkins kick)

M — Mike 19 run (Frazier kick)

M — Roark 1 run (Frazier kick)

H — Logan 43 run (kick blocked)

M — Poindexter 10 pass from Roark (Frazier kick)

H — Bianchi 69 pass from Saragas (pass failed)

M — Hughett 9 run (Frazier kick)

M — Riddle 41 pass from Roark (Frazier kick)

H — Bianchi 5 pass from Saragas (kick blocked)

H — Young 22 field goal

H — Logan 10 run (kick failed)

HHS MHS

First downs 23 25

Rushes-yards 33-156 24-189

Passing 368 283

Comp-Att-Int 22-35-1 19-47-3

Punts-Avg 3-38 3-52

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 0-0

Penalties-Yards 11-115 7-75

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Harlan, Logan 7-90, Williams 14-43, Morris 3-13, Overbay 3-6, Anderson 3-2, Saragas 1-2, Allen 1-1, Turbyfill 1-(-1). Middlesboro, Mike 10-85, Roark 9-60, Hughett 5-44.

PASSING—Harlan, Saragas 22-35-1-368. Middlesboro, Roark 19-47-3-283.

RECEIVING—Harlan, Bianchi 6-114, Morris 5-89, Allen 5-71, Young 3-72, Logan 2-0, Jones 1-32. Middlesboro, Poindexter 4-67, Foister 4-67, Harris 4-45, Mike 4-33, Riddle 3-71.
Impressive! Maybe now people will start to give Saragas his due. We Pikeville fans recognized he is a really good QB in week 0 though. Keep up the good work.
according to the middlesboro fans Harlan was just watching them Jackets roll up and down the field. Ty Saragas is an outstanding QB and he can hold his own against Roark or most any QB in this part of the state, now is he as big or as strong an arm, no but he makes up for any disadvantage by his knowledge of the game and his decision making skills, Ty calls many of the plays at the line on his own, and has since mid season last year. Both of these young men have great skills, and are really nice players, but are different in what each player does for their team. Aaron Rodgers plays one way and Drew Brees plays a little different, but they both are getting the job done.
This makes that win in Week 0 look a WHOLE lot better. Congratulations Harlan! Class A Pride lol :rockon:
Congrats Harlan, I'm really impressed with the Green Dragons so far this season!
devildawg20 Wrote:I saw the harlan db's hanging all over the middlesboro receivers atleast 4 straight plays. however that isnt the reason for the loss for middlesboro. Harlan was better than i had thought and played well tonight.The big catch made on the side line for harlan in the 4th quarter on 4th down the wr was out of bounds by a foot and a half by the time he had control of the ball. Middlesboro wr dropped atleast 7 wide open passes included one on 3rd down in ot which would have tied the game. chase threw 3 picks one for a harlan td and another on 1st and goal those 2 plays with the missed field goal on the last play was the difference

From what I saw,Bianchi let the ball touch down right into the palm of his hand and he palmed it and it stuck dead. There was no bobble. I'll have to see the video,as it was very close,to see where his feet were. I have to believe that,with all the calls in that game that went against Harlan,it would have been called incomplete were it not. The side judge was all over it.

The missed fieldgoal was tipped,I believe by Allen,and it hit the crossbar and bounced out. Had it not been tipped the ballgame would have been over. Just a good hard play by the Dragon's special teams defense.
Congrads Harlan. I called this one.
Congrats Harlan.
Dragonsdad Wrote:From what I saw,Bianchi let the ball touch down right into the palm of his hand and he palmed it and it stuck dead. There was no bobble. I'll have to see the video,as it was very close,to see where his feet were. I have to believe that,with all the calls in that game that went against Harlan,it would have been called incomplete were it not. The side judge was all over it.

The missed fieldgoal was tipped,I believe by Allen,and it hit the crossbar and bounced out. Had it not been tipped the ballgame would have been over. Just a good hard play by the Dragon's special teams defense.

I would've died right there from a massive heartattack after witnessing that, lol.
vundy33 Wrote:I would've died right there from a massive heartattack after witnessing that, lol.

I must have. I think i'm posting from Heaven right now!!!
Dragonsdad Wrote:I must have. I think i'm posting from Heaven right now!!!

Nope just from on top of a mountain.
Great job Dragons, big win!!
Congrats Dragons!
Congrats Harlan on a great win. Saragas is one of the best qbs. in these mountains. Good luck on the season
One of the more impressive stats to me was the number of plays that the Dragons ran (25) more than the Jackets, I know that the actual time of possession isn't kept in High school games but Harlan had the ball a great deal more, which really can help out the defense.
Congrats Harlan. Great game by both teams, the refs couldnt have got much worse tho, on the onside kick before harlans last drive they had a kid who was at least 2 yards offsides and it didnt get called, middlesboro still had a chance to win it so im not tryin to make excuses for them but that was a huge no call
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:Congrats Harlan. Great game by both teams, the refs couldnt have got much worse tho, on the onside kick before harlans last drive they had a kid who was at least 2 yards offsides and it didnt get called, middlesboro still had a chance to win it so im not tryin to make excuses for them but that was a huge no call

Bad calls all night. Hard to point at just one. :please:
true that just stood out to me,
Pages: 1 2 3