Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan 48 Middlesboro 42 OT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dragonsdad Wrote:I knew one of the officials was from Harlan but I had no idea where the others were from. If they all were from Harlan Co. then I take back what I said when I said they were cheering the hometeam on. I should not have said that. But it doesn't change things that much because we for sure got the short end of the stick in the deal. I know that there is going to be calls that are not going to be exact. But sheesh,that lopsided. Come on.

I won't mention their names, but yes they all were from Harlan/Harlan County.
Yep, everyone of them are from Harlan.
PHSForever Wrote:It's a combination of things. Primarily smaller population tends to know the refs a little better as you hypothesized, I'm sure. Frankly, I was gone for many years before coming back here, and I'm just being honest when I say that A) the crews seem a little better and more objective than I seem to remember years ago, and B) they still have a ways to go in terms of understanding what to look for or how to look for it. I'll give you an example. I noticed that several of the striped shirts have a tendency to watch the ball in flight on passes. Line judge, back judges, etc are not keeping their eyes on the actual area of responsibility sometimes. But I've also noticed many younger refs, so maybe that's just something they pick up with experience

well said.
The Dragons were flagged 11 Times for 115 yards, boro 7-75, More often for more yards, by a crew from Harlan county. 18 penalties in a 48 min game, that took 3hours and 25 minutes to play, way to long for a high school game.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:The Dragons were flagged 11 Times for 115 yards, boro 7-75, More often for more yards, by a crew from Harlan county. 18 penalties in a 48 min game, that took 3hours and 25 minutes to play, way to long for a high school game.
I don't think anyone has said Harlan was flagged less, I think the main complaints (at least how I've read these posts) seems to be the timing of them (momentum killers) and the accuracy of them. But with the stats you provided, it's obvious if this crew was from HArlan County, they didn't take it easy on their hometown school. 4 more penalties for 40 yards more is a pretty good swing in high school football, flips the field almost completely at least once for Middlesboro. Sounds like this was more like the Harlan-Pikeville game last year where Pikeville punched Harlan in the mouth and they never recovered. Harlan sounds like they came out swinging against Middlesboro, and it put them on their heels. Doesn't surprise me in the least based on what I saw of Harlan in Week 0. Not a team to be overlooked in 1A, and neither is Raceland. They put a worse beatdown on Greenup County than Pike Central did.
PHSForever Wrote:I don't think anyone has said Harlan was flagged less, I think the main complaints (at least how I've read these posts) seems to be the timing of them (momentum killers) and the accuracy of them. But with the stats you provided, it's obvious if this crew was from HArlan County, they didn't take it easy on their hometown school. 4 more penalties for 40 yards more is a pretty good swing in high school football, flips the field almost completely at least once for Middlesboro. Sounds like this was more like the Harlan-Pikeville game last year where Pikeville punched Harlan in the mouth and they never recovered. Harlan sounds like they came out swinging against Middlesboro, and it put them on their heels. Doesn't surprise me in the least based on what I saw of Harlan in Week 0. Not a team to be overlooked in 1A, and neither is Raceland. They put a worse beatdown on Greenup County than Pike Central did.

We were up 21-7 and I began to wonder if we might blow'em out. But then the flags started fly'in and we turned around and were down in the 4th 42-33 with 7 minutes to go. But,surpisingly the flags stopped coming and we recovered well with some giant plays. Our desire to win was astonishing. Later,one of the coaches said that we had played to win instead of playing not to lose. You are right about Raceland. Things could get very exciting over in your region. Especially if fairview turns out to be what they claim they are. With the schedule they play we may not know till they play Raceland in October. I will also say that I am anxious to see how Hazard does against this young LCA team. The way they were shutout by Somerset leaves alot of questions as to how strong their offense really is. Hazard has to come to Harlan and I know we can score,we have really started clicking offensively, it's just a question of how low a score we can hold them to. At least we will get a good look this weekend.
I hope LCA is very young, It might be our only district win. Middlesboro got the screws put to them in the realignment, and we appealed twice to try to change things. We have without a doubt the toughest district in class 2A if not the entire state of Kentucky. I just don't want to make another trip to Prestonsburg, this time for a first round game.
Congrats Dragons!
Dragonsdad Wrote:We were up 21-7 and I began to wonder if we might blow'em out. But then the flags started fly'in and we turned around and were down in the 4th 42-33 with 7 minutes to go. But,surpisingly the flags stopped coming and we recovered well with some giant plays. Our desire to win was astonishing. Later,one of the coaches said that we had played to win instead of playing not to lose. You are right about Raceland. Things could get very exciting over in your region. Especially if fairview turns out to be what they claim they are. With the schedule they play we may not know till they play Raceland in October. I will also say that I am anxious to see how Hazard does against this young LCA team. The way they were shutout by Somerset leaves alot of questions as to how strong their offense really is. Hazard has to come to Harlan and I know we can score,we have really started clicking offensively, it's just a question of how low a score we can hold them to. At least we will get a good look this weekend.

Hazard had problems in the redzone. Moving the ball wasnt to bad of a problem until the 2nd half when the turnovers and stuff started heavy. Hazard defensively is solid and will be very hard to score on. They only allowed 1 touchdown offensive wise to the brair jumpers and that was when there top reciever caught the young safety napping and got behind him. That was early in the 3rd. I also must say Hazard defense was on the field a lot in this game. Harlan has no problem in scoring i see from there scores but this defense will be hard to score on. Plus they are short a defensive end who is hurt in deion harris so when he returns it can only make the defense better. I would talk about the offense but it disappointed me friday but the deep ball was good for um. Harlan must eliminate the deep ball and force hazard to beat you on the short passes.
bac2369 Wrote:Hazard had problems in the redzone. Moving the ball wasnt to bad of a problem until the 2nd half when the turnovers and stuff started heavy. Hazard defensively is solid and will be very hard to score on. They only allowed 1 touchdown offensive wise to the brair jumpers and that was when there top reciever caught the young safety napping and got behind him. That was early in the 3rd. I also must say Hazard defense was on the field a lot in this game. Harlan has no problem in scoring i see from there scores but this defense will be hard to score on. Plus they are short a defensive end who is hurt in deion harris so when he returns it can only make the defense better. I would talk about the offense but it disappointed me friday but the deep ball was good for um. Harlan must eliminate the deep ball and force hazard to beat you on the short passes.
I have to give Middlesboro some credit and say that they had a solid passing game. They can do it all. They use the run to set up their passing game and they move the ball well with short passes and when you move up to cover the short stuff,boom,they go long and I mean real long. That Roark kid has got one of the strongest and most accurate arms I've seen,other than Ty Saragas. As a newcomer surely the Hazard QB isn't hardly as good. Don't get me wrong,I'm sure he is very good,but with Roark you're getting one of the top QB's in all of Kentucky. We were able to hold him below his average of nearly 300 a game and pick him off 3 times. I feel that if we can pick it up a little we can have a similar game against Hazard. But,our defense is going to have to pick it up as I said because this is Hazard,not Middlesboro. I feel like if we could somehow hold them to 28 maybe 32 points we could have a chance. Nows the time being at home against them. I think if we could get them at home we would more than likely have home field advantage in the playoffs. It will be a tough row to hoe though. A very tall order. Here at Harlan we have respect for a team like Hazard and talking about it is not gonna get the job done. We are working very hard and getting better every day.
Congrats Harlan!
Dragonsdad Wrote:I have to give Middlesboro some credit and say that they had a solid passing game. They can do it all. They use the run to set up their passing game and they move the ball well with short passes and when you move up to cover the short stuff,boom,they go long and I mean real long. That Roark kid has got one of the strongest and most accurate arms I've seen,other than Ty Saragas. As a newcomer surely the Hazard QB isn't hardly as good. Don't get me wrong,I'm sure he is very good,but with Roark you're getting one of the top QB's in all of Kentucky. We were able to hold him below his average of nearly 300 a game and pick him off 3 times. I feel that if we can pick it up a little we can have a similar game against Hazard. But,our defense is going to have to pick it up as I said because this is Hazard,not Middlesboro. I feel like if we could somehow hold them to 28 maybe 32 points we could have a chance. Nows the time being at home against them. I think if we could get them at home we would more than likely have home field advantage in the playoffs. It will be a tough row to hoe though. A very tall order. Here at Harlan we have respect for a team like Hazard and talking about it is not gonna get the job done. We are working very hard and getting better every day.

Hazard QB is decent. Has a beautiful deep ball but the short passes is his problem. But thats my opinion. He may get better as the season goes but hazard season depends on him as it will tell how far they go?
bac2369 Wrote:Hazard QB is decent. Has a beautiful deep ball but the short passes is his problem. But thats my opinion. He may get better as the season goes but hazard season depends on him as it will tell how far they go?
I agree and I would say that one key to beating Hazard would be to get lots of pressure on him. That may not be so easily done with the size of Hazard's O-line.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I agree and I would say that one key to beating Hazard would be to get lots of pressure on him. That may not be so easily done with the size of Hazard's O-line.

Depends on the coaches blitz pattern but if its picked up you may be burnt. Hazard offense the red zone scares but i guess thats just 1 game against a very solid program. But the defense surprised me at how good they were. I also know they had a defensive end out against somerset who usually gets in the backfield quite a bit. The Dylan Logan kid at middle linebacker did an excellent job and may fill in for the Slone boy last year pretty good.
Pages: 1 2 3