Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan 41 Williamsburg 22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Harlan Wins 41-22.
Congrats to Harlan! Big win!
wow i am stinking it up with picks this week,lol, congrats to Harlan
Congrats Dragons!!!
Good job Coach J.B. Donahue.
Big win...congrats Dragons and Dragon fans.
Wow, this one surprised me!
Harlan's high powered passing attack puts up 350 yds on Top ten Williamsburg Yellow Jackets. Comments please.
I think I just saw this score. Possibly a dupe thread
Where are you run it up the gut? Come and eat your crow.
congrads harlan
Can a moderator please delete this thread. There's already one started.
Dragonsdad Wrote:Can a moderator please delete this thread. There's already one started.
I see it has been combined.
Saragas is a good qb...one of many good games he will have this year.
This game really was not close. Harlan had long TD called back and another big gainer negated on penalty. Burg hit two homers on back to back fly patterns but after an adjustment the game was all Harlan.....

Good win for the green team!
Very surprising IMO. I was expecting at least a close game.
Congrats to the Harlan Green Dragons.
I did get this one right. Congrats Green Dragons.
good job green
Looks like the Dragons took care of business at home! How did DeMarcus Williams do in this one?

Congrats Harlan!!
Congrats Harlan Ind.

I called the Green Dragons in this one!
leecoukfan Wrote:Looks like the Dragons took care of business at home! How did DeMarcus Williams do in this one?

Congrats Harlan!!

Demarcus was still injured somewhat from the Pikeville game,but still had a good game. He went 6 for 22 rushing and 2 for 57 recieving. He did play better than expected.
Fastest place to get Harlan Co. or Harlan Ind. info.
HarlanCountySports.com

Congrats Harlan. We'll see you in Week 7.

Harlan County Sports: Football: Saragas takes sting out of Jackets with 5 TD performance
Friday, August 26
Saragas takes sting out of Jackets with 5 TD performance

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

NFL Films has made several lines famous through the years, including one by Chicago Bears linebacker Mike Singletary when he bragged to an opposing offense that "I like this kind of party."

Harlan quarterback Ty Saragas felt much the same way when he found himself in the middle of an all-out air war in the second quarter of the Dragons' game Friday against visiting WIlliamsburg as the Jackets all but dared him to throw.

Saragas passed for 235 yards in the second quarter and finished with 349 yards and five touchdowns as the Green Dragons evened their record at 1-1 with a 41-22 win.

"I like my quarterback, and they were playing soft," Harlan coach J.B. Donahue said. "We had some people sick this week and we wanted to run the football, but they were playing off of us and we had to do what we could do. Ty answered the challenge because they brought a lot of people. He had a lot of people in his face and he threw the ball well under pressure."

Saragas got as many people involved in the aerial assault as possible with five different receivers catching touchdown passes, including David Allen, Demarcus Williams, Vince Bianchi, Eric Young and Dakota Morris.

Harlan drove 62 yards in 10 plays for a touchdown on its opening possession. Saragas picked up two first downs on runs, then threw to Morris for 11 yards to the WIlliamsburg 27. Saragas completed the drive by connecting with Allen for a 17-yard pass with 7:41 to play in the first quarter. Young missed the extra point attempt.

WIlliamsburg struck with a big play midway through the second quarter when Hamblin found freshman Skylar Grittith down the sideline for a 71-yard touchdown pass. Hamblin threw to Michael Rose out of the backfield for the two-point conversion pass and an 8-6 lead.

Harlan wasted little time answering as Saragas led the Dragons down the field, completing a 26-yard pass to Dalton Overbay before finding WIlliams on a screen pass that the junior tailback turned into a 39-yard touchdown with 4:07 to play in the second quarter. Brandon Lyons sacked Saragas on the two-point conversion attempt but Harlan led 12-8.

"Our screen game was real big for us tonight. Our line did a good job on that," Donahue said.

Hamblin and Grittith teamed up again two plays later for a 50-yard scoring pass with 3:29 left in the second quarter. Hamblin was stopped on the two-point conversion attempt but WIlliamsburg led 14-12.

"We just completely lost coverage, people not doing what they are supposed to do," Donahue said.

The rest of the quarter belonged to Saragas and the Harlan offense. Bianchi caught a 69-yard touchdown pass with 2:28 left. Cody Logan caught a two-point conversion pass as Harlan moved on top 20-14.

Young set up the next touchdown with an interception, then caught a 66-yard pass from Saragas for the score with 57.8 seconds left. Morris tightroped the sideline for the two-point conversion and a 28-14 lead at the break.

After taking the second half kickoff at midfield, WIlliamsburg went on an 11-play drive. Hamblin found Chris Lowrie in the corner of the end zone for a 13-yard pass on a fourth-and-goal play. Williamsburg had a first down on the 1 before a procedure penalty backed them up. Christian Turbyfill and Dylan Chasteen sacked Hamblin for a seven-yard loss on second down.

Patrick added the two-point conversion to cut the deficit to 28-22 with 6:46 left in the third quarter.

Harlan drove 51 yards in 10 plays to regain its two-touchdown advantage. Saragas found Morris for a 3-yard scoring strike with 10:12 left in the game. Saragas' pass on the two-point conversion attempt was off the mark.

Ryland Atkins recovered an onside kick to give the Dragons an opportunity to put the game away, but two procedure penalties stalled the drive before it could start.

The Harlan defense set up the final touchdown as Overbay forced a fumble that Dawson Charles recovered on the Williamsburg 14. A holding penalty pushed the Dragons back 10 years, but Allen took a pitch from Saragas, cut back across the middle and rumbled 25 yards for a touchdown with 6:13 left in the game. Atkins hit the extra point.

Other than the two big passes from Hamlin to Griffith, the Jackets struggled to move the ball and managed only 92 yards on the ground.

"Mental lapses hurt us at times, but defensively I think our kids have bought in to what coach (John) Luttrell is preaching," Donahue said. "They are running to the football, and that's the main thing defensively."

Harlan evened its record at 1-1, bouncing back from a 21-14 loss last week at Pikeville.

"I think we let one get away last week, but the kids responded this week even though we had a lot of sickness," Donahue said. "We had a lot of kids who stepped up and filled in. Dawson Charles stepped in and played linebacker tonight, and I can't say enough about a kid like that."

Williamsburg (1-1) returns to action Friday against Pineville. Harlan is off next week before traveling to Middlesboro on Sept. 9.

Williamsburg 0 14 8 0 — 22

Harlan 6 22 0 13 — 41

H — Allen 17 pass from Saragas (kick failed)

W — Griffith 71 pass from Hamblin (Rose pass from Hamblin)

H — Williams 39 pass from Saragas (run failed)

W — Griffith 50 pass from Hamblin (run failed)

H — Bianchi 69 pass from Saragas (Logan pass from Saragas)

H — Young 66 pass from Saragas (Morris pass from Saragas)

W — Lowrie 13 pass from Hamblin (Patrick run)

H — Morris 3 pass from Saragas (pass failed)

H — Allen 21 run (Atkins kick)

WHS HHS

First downs 13 15

Rushes-yards 25-92 32-98

Passing 230 349

Comp-Att-Int 12-24-2 18-27-0

Punts-Avg 4-26 5-38

Fumbles-Lost 0-0 0-0

Penalties-Yards 5-35 6-55

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Williamsburg, Hamblin 17-70, Patrick 6-16, Griffith 1-6, Lowrie 1-0. Harlan, Allen 2-26, WIlliams 7-25, D, Morris 6-21, Overbay 5-10, Gambrel 2-7, T, Morris 1-4, Logan 3-3, Saragas 6-2.

PASSING—Williamsburg, Hamblin 12-24-2-230. Harlan, Saragas 18-27-349.

RECEIVING—WIlliamsburg, Griffith 3-134, Rose 3-36, Lowrie 3-42, Shelton 2-19, Sizemore 1-(-1). Harlan, Allen 5-74, Morris 4-36, Young 2-70, Williams 2-57, Overbay 2-26, Bianchi 1-69, Logan 1-10, Charles 1-7.
hitemup Wrote:Where are you run it up the gut? Come and eat your crow.

Chomp Chomp.
I said i would eat crow and i am.
Congrats Harlan on the win.
I figured Wburg would have put up more of a fight but they still seem to be to young to make an impct in that region.
I should have known better than to count on the city school, they always let me down.
Congrats to Harlan City. Good win!
Dragons played a more complete game this week, QB Ty Saragas again put up school record numbers as he passed for 350 yds and 5 TDs. Harlan had near 500 yards of total offense. The defense played much better, other than two blown coverages, they kept W-burg at bay most of the night. After a week off to get back a few that have been under the weather, the Dragons will play the jackets of Middlesboro and coach Randy Frazier, which should be one heck of a match up.
Run it up the gut, I appreciate you being a man of your word. Williamsburg will be pretty good when their skill kids put on a little size and weight. They are just too young right now. But, they may even be a totally different team by the end of the year. There is a big jump from 7th/8th grade football to high school football.
First off let me say that i was wrong about this game. Second i will tell you from what i saw Harlan out coached williamsburg in this game. Harlans excellent play action and misdirection completly folled williamsburg because they looked completly unprepared for it. I agree with an earlier post that this game was only close midway through the second qt. Once harlan got that corner off the field that couldnt cover #14 then williamsburg never reAlly had any offense except their opening drive of the second half. On that drive they had the ball first and 10 from the one yard line and went shotgun and got the backs and qb leaning forward for an illegal procedure. Then had two plays of negative yards on pass plays then finally ran it and had to make a lucky play on 4th and goal from the 12 to get their score. Really though in highschool football if you like one yardand camt li e up under center in the i-formation and get a yard then you dont need to be coaching or playing. Two times in the first half williamsburg had this and tried to pass then had to punt. I know that williamsburg likes to throwbut not to have an i-formation at the goalline is just stupid. im not finished with what i have to say but my phone is dying so i will post the rest in a moment.
Did the Sizemore boy get any PT?( I did not see his name in the stats) If not how long will they be able to keep him on the sidelines?
Wow great win, I expected it to be a bit closer than this. Harlan must have really improved from last season and stepped it up this one! Congrats!
Pages: 1 2 3