Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Killing Of School Spirit In Floyd County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The students at Pburg were told it was against the rules, not by the school, but by the county.
"The Misfit" Wrote:i still see south floyd on probation so should betsy layne....they were in that fight just as much as south floyd and also started it....why cant prestonsburg paint did they even do anything......but i know one thing i will be goin wild at region if sf makes it...this is my last year to cheer for my friends that i have known all my life and i know they want to win and i will be there cheerin them on even though i am banned from all games in floyd county im still rootin for ya guys and i promise to be there if u all make it to region...LETS GO RAIDERS....i hate betsy layne

I agree if Betsy Layne gets in as many fights as South Floyd then they should be put on probation. lol I hate south floyd.
"bballjunky" Wrote:I agree if Betsy Layne gets in as many fights as South Floyd then they should be put on probation. lol I hate south floyd.

Now I Am Really Confused. First Of All This Thread Is Not About How Many Fights A School Gets In. Only On The In-Equality In Treatment Of One School vs: Another School. Second...And Correct Me If I Am Wrong...Wasn't There Just " ONE " Altercation Involving South Floyd High School. I Would Apprecite Not Turning This Thread Into One About Fights. Only On The Treatment Of Different Schools. THANKS :CE_DP_Ste Confusedalute: Confusedecret:
Nice post flag
True this thread is not and will not be about fighting
"catsfan072" Wrote:The students at Pburg were told it was against the rules, not by the school, but by the county.

If It Truly Is Against County Rules, Then Why Are The Rules Being Selectively Enforced. Were The Rules Made Available To All Schools. I Don't See How That Can Be Allowed To Happen. Did This Come From The Board Or Dr. Fannin. It Really Doesn't Matter Where It Came From, It Needs To Be Looked Into. Someone Took It Upon Themselves To Selectively Enforce The Rules, And That's Not Right. Everyone Should Be Treated Equally And Fairly.
Good post all the schools that have been involved in the fights and other vandalistic actions(betsy lane)should all be subject to the same rules and regs that all the other schools that have been isolated for some reason and put under these selective rules are.
I have a copy of the papers given out during the coaching clinics in Floyd County. I have read and re-read these over and over. No where in it have I seen anything about face paint and chants. The only thing I have read is no artificial noisemakers ie... no cowbells, no megaphones etc....
"WOW" Wrote:I have a copy of the papers given out during the coaching clinics in Floyd County. I have read and re-read these over and over. No where in it have I seen anything about face paint and chants. The only thing I have read is no artificial noisemakers ie... no cowbells, no megaphones etc....

Are These Rules KHSAA GuideLines, Or Rules From The Board.
"jayblackcat2006" Wrote:Well, I understand it's probably my fault that we have been struck down on, but it is completely BS, Mr. Martin chose to act in an immature way and our student body has been punished for his actions.

I know that Coach Martin told his team that P-burg fans had been doing their, " Bob-by Knight and John-ny Mar-tin,' chants for at least 20 years and that he loved it when they did that. Usually, he said that at halftime or after the game the P-burg students would slap hands with him and interact with him. I know that he loves their spirit and their chants.

He told them the next day that he stood up, as usual, when they started the chant and was greeted by a few who gave him the finger and said F- you!

He is highly competitive and took offense since the Rebs were getting torched by 40 points at the time. I think he also had an emotional time at that game for personal reasons and he also had just broken two more bones in his left hand( to go with the broken bone in his right hand.)

So he said he did an immature act by motioning for the offenders (whoever they were)to come over to the bench and do that, not stand in the crowd.

He thought it was no big deal at the time but after staying up all night at the gym the next morning he emailed the Pburg principal apologizing for his actions and hoped that no would reprimand the offending students and fans and actually praised their enthusiasm. You can probably verify this if you wish with Mr. George.

Coach Martin loves kids- other teams' students as well as his own and I know he would hate it if he knew he was in any way responsible for destroying school spirit in the county.

I think he would probably be willing to address the Pburg student body and tell them of his regret if he were asked. He's just that kind of guy. He is also completely fearless (you would be too if you were an expert in Tae-Kwan-Do as he is.) But I know he does truly love kids and coaching sports.
so i say lets hear it Dr. Fannin.. whats the deal? DO NOT SHOW SCHOOL SPIRIT... thats horrible! That is the best way 2 show ur skl spirit. It gets ur team pumped and ready to play. There is nothing wrong w/ it and if they are lets hear it BOE!
One school system, one set of rules! If you're expecting to discriminate, then be prepared to see the headlines in the lexington Herald or Courier Journal about litigation over this one, I can't see this staying just a Floyd County news item for too long! C'mon Dr. Fannin, show some sac and make the rules apply to all or to none at all, but the way you're handling this one is asking for trouble!
Keep in mind--school systems give their schools a certain amount of lattitude to make their own decisions. If a principal feels like the students in his school HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO GET OUT OF LINE--he can inact any rule he wants to quell potential violence. (And keep in mind--he/she would most likely be held liable if someone could prove that there was the potential for things to get out of hand--yet did nothing).

I am not here to say things are right or wrong--I could careless--but keep in mind--a principal has an OBLIGATION to ensure that anyone on school grounds is safe--and not in a hostile environment. If not--he/she is going to lose their job.

But when it comes down to fair/equal treatment--principals have an amazing amount of lattitude when it comes to the safety of their school.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:Keep in mind--school systems give their schools a certain amount of lattitude to make their own decisions. If a principal feels like the students in his school HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO GET OUT OF LINE--he can inact any rule he wants to quell potential violence. (And keep in mind--he/she would most likely be held liable if someone could prove that there was the potential for things to get out of hand--yet did nothing).

I am not here to say things are right or wrong--I could careless--but keep in mind--a principal has an OBLIGATION to ensure that anyone on school grounds is safe--and not in a hostile environment. If not--he/she is going to lose their job.

But when it comes down to fair/equal treatment--principals have an amazing amount of lattitude when it comes to the safety of their school.

That Being The Case Then The Remainder Of High School Basletball Season Should Be Cancelled By All The Principals. The Reason....They Are Very Few Places As Hostile On A School's Campus Than A High School Gymnasium During A High School Basketball Game, Especially If It Is A " BIG " District Rival Game. Your Reasoning Is Sound, But We Are Not Talking About A Penal Institution With Inmates Ready To Riot. Just A Public High School Gymnasium Full Of High School Kids Screaming And Yelling Their Heads Off Supporting Their Team. If They Get Too Far Out Of Line, Then Yes, The Principal Needs To Step In And Stop Problems Before They Get Out Of Hand. Anything That A Student Body Or Cheerleading Squad Does Can Offend Someone. From They Way The Cheerleaders Are Dressed To The Chants Of The Student Body.
If The Spontaneity Of The Student Body Is Throttled, Then Just Go Ahead And Ban Everyone And Play In Empty Gyms. Then No One Is In Danger Or Offended. :Skull03: :bow:
The more I think about this one--the more I have to ask (because this thought process is a little different than what I am used to seeing up here):

Did the superintendent ever talk to the kids at either one of these schools?

That could say a lot or a little about this situation.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:The more I think about this one--the more I have to ask (because this thought process is a little different than what I am used to seeing up here):

I Don't Know If The Superintendent Addressed The Student Bodies At The Schools Or Not. Usually That Is Left Up To The Principal, But The Problem Is That There Is Selective Enforcement Of Rules Of Conduct By Students At Ballgames. Some Schools Are Allowed To Do Certain Things While Other Schools Aren't. I Don't Think That This Is Fair Or Just Plain "RIGHT". All Schools Should Be Treated Equally With Preferential Treatment Being Given To None.:Skull03: :bow:
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:The more I think about this one--the more I have to ask (because this thought process is a little different than what I am used to seeing up here):

the superintendent did talk to sf.. when they was put on probation
i have heard nothing about not being able to paint our bodies or chant to the other team when Dr. fannin talked to us... our principal told us that we could paint our bodies as long as we have a shirt on.... i still dont see why they want to take our skl spirit away from us we r just kids cheering for our team...this is stupid not being able to chant or paint our selves what do they expect us to do go to the games and just sit there and not show skl spirit then they get mad and say we have none.........they r just mad b/c we go all out for our teams and thats not right
What do people expect? There have been fights with the fans of SF and BL and IMO P-burg has the rudest student body i have ever seen. There "chants" make there principle and staff look pretty bad. But that has just been "The Burg" for years.
"*PinkLady82*" Wrote:What do people expect? There have been fights with the fans of SF and BL and IMO P-burg has the rudest student body i have ever seen. There "chants" make there principle and staff look pretty bad. But that has just been "The Burg" for years.

I Was Under The Impression That There Was Only " One " Altercation Between The Two Schools. Anyway, There Still Seems To Be Two Sets Of Rules Involved Here. One For One School and A Different Set For The Other
As I recall-- the Floyd County Times article listed 4 incidents

1. SFHS and BLHS during a football game
2. SFHS and PHS after a JV/Freshmen basketball game
3. SFHS and BLHS after a Varsity Basketball game

These are the incidents which have been brought up in numerous newspaper articles recently.
"WOW" Wrote:As I recall-- the Floyd County Times article listed 4 incidents

These are the incidents which have been brought up in numerous newspaper articles recently.

1. According to the khsaa website the BL/SF game was at BL
2. parents from both schools.
3. former grads from both schools.

so where and why are the pep sections being singled out?

This Is A Prime Example Of What This Thead Is About. Even If There Were More That One Incident Between South Floyd Anad Betsy Layne, Only One School Was Punished. Why Wan't The Other Scholl Punished Also. One Set Or Rules For One School, Another Set For The Other. :Skull03: :boo:

So, 3 fights for SF, 2 for BL, and 1 for PHS, but the one that had 1 fight cant do it but the school that was in 2 fights can... hmmm, that doesnt sound right to me.

It seems to me if the principal and superintendent tells them they cant paint up because it could make a dangerous situation. What if a fight broke out and no one was painted. Would the principal and BOE get in trouble because they knew it was a chance? If no one was painted for a fight, then would they require everyone to be painted for the next game?

It really does sound like double standards to me. I wonder what would happen if a bunch of students went to a lawyer and seen what he had to say. Would the board back down if they got a letter from a lawyer saying that a group of students were being discriminated against because of where they live.
I wasn't sure where any of the incidents were at. I'm not sure if the FCT even listed the location of the incidents.
"OldAndDecrepit" Wrote:That Being The Case Then The Remainder Of High School Basletball Season Should Be Cancelled By All The Principals. The Reason....They Are Very Few Places As Hostile On A School's Campus Than A High School Gymnasium During A High School Basketball Game, Especially If It Is A " BIG " District Rival Game. Your Reasoning Is Sound, But We Are Not Talking About A Penal Institution With Inmates Ready To Riot. Just A Public High School Gymnasium Full Of High School Kids Screaming And Yelling Their Heads Off Supporting Their Team. If They Get Too Far Out Of Line, Then Yes, The Principal Needs To Step In And Stop Problems Before They Get Out Of Hand. Anything That A Student Body Or Cheerleading Squad Does Can Offend Someone. From They Way The Cheerleaders Are Dressed To The Chants Of The Student Body.
If The Spontaneity Of The Student Body Is Throttled, Then Just Go Ahead And Ban Everyone And Play In Empty Gyms. Then No One Is In Danger Or Offended. :Skull03: :bow:

Lets make sure that you understand that this isn't my reasoning.

The BOE's and principals can pretty much follow any rule they want when it comes to the "perceived" wellfare of their school/students. That is reality--and it has nothing to do with me.

I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to help with some facts . . . . .
Another way of looking at it is when a game is being played, the principal isnt the one who is in charge of the gym. It is the refs. The refs can warn crowds and players just the same and if needed, they can T up the crowd. Why dont the refs take the responsibility and keep everything in line. I am sure they have a better idea what is going on and what is being said on the court.
Quote:As I recall-- the Floyd County Times article listed 4 incidents

1. The game was @ BL started by BL
2. The game was @ SF started by PHS
3. The game was @ SF started by guess who BL

as u can tell none of the games was started by the team on probation SF....i was at 2 of the 3 games and the one between SF and PHS that was parents that fought not students or pep sections... the SF & BL basketball game that was between students cause a student from BL came over in SF's fans and hit one of our fans and it is a natural action to hit back in SELF-DEFENSE.....
Actually..... The game was at SF started by SF...not a big surprise!... SF and P-Burg has the worst pep sections i have ever seen!... GO BOBCATS!!!!!!! 2005-2006 CONFERENCE CHAMPS!!!!!!:wenumber1
"bobcatfan06" Wrote:Actually..... The game was at SF started by SF...not a big surprise!... SF and P-Burg has the worst pep sections i have ever seen!... GO BOBCATS!!!!!!! 2005-2006 CONFERENCE CHAMPS!!!!!!:wenumber1

This Has No Bearing On This Thread. There Has Already Been A Thread About The " ALTERCATION " At South Floyd. Please Keep On Topic.:Skull03: :rules:
"Barney_fife" Wrote:1. The game was @ BL started by BL
2. The game was @ SF started by PHS
3. The game was @ SF started by guess who BL

as u can tell none of the games was started by the team on probation SF....i was at 2 of the 3 games and the one between SF and PHS that was parents that fought not students or pep sections... the SF & BL basketball game that was between students cause a student from BL came over in SF's fans and hit one of our fans and it is a natural action to hit back in SELF-DEFENSE.....

This Is Not A Thread About The Altercations Between The Two Schools. There Has Already Been A Thread On That. If You Want To Post About That:Skull03: :rules: , Please Start Another Thread..........Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5