Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dunbar Coach Resigns!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Harry Doyle Wrote:I didn't make the original comment, Eddy Creek did.

I believe all I did was add onto what Eddy meant altogether as a whole, as a shortened version of my response. How I replies is how I took his comment ,anyway.

Likewise, say hello to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me.
Read comment #28, please. I corrected myself. As for Peter Pan and Tinker Bell? I think they reside somewhere over around Bryan Station, don't they? I never head to that neck of the woods. SARCASM INTENDED, PEOPLE!
PHSForever Wrote:Of course, given the extreme differences presented by you, I'd want my kids raised in home #1. BUT, be advised that this still is getting away from the point that Doyle was trying to make in his comment, and that was that he/she thinks that is parents are smart, kids automatically are too. NOT true, just saying. Let's get back to the point of this thread, okay? I'm not going to address this point anymore, and if you or any other commenter can't get the point I am making, your loss.

Those aren't the extreme differences given by me, but the differences in reality between some of the schools that I mentioned in my original post. Go ask the principals at the schools I mentioned whom are at polar opposite ends of each other and see if you don't find that each has a little (ok, a lot) more than the other.
PHSForever Wrote:Read comment #28, please. I corrected myself. As for Peter Pan and Tinker Bell? I think they reside somewhere over around Bryan Station, don't they? I never head to that neck of the woods. SARCASM INTENDED, PEOPLE!

I think we posted at the same time.
Harry Doyle Wrote:I think we posted at the same time.
Agreed
I feel bad for those kids and all there work they've put in. Unless Dunbar Administration get's a good coach in there and let's him have several years to get the program back on track, this will continue to happen each year until something happens with the Administration
Bobby Joe Lawson is a good guy and a good coach, coaching at the Cumberlands until taking that job.
I would say he will return to Whitley County where hes from and go back to Whitley which is his alma malter and take some kind of assistant job there.
Hes not one to give up easy so i would say it had a lot to do with the administration, that and im sure the Dunbar kids werent ready for the tough football Lawson brought with him making a mix for a 1-10 year like they had. Lawson is definitely a pound it out guy.
I wouldnt be surprised if he has a job already lined up, maybe even a head coaching job down here somewhere.
I'd say he heads back to Henderson County, which is where he was before taking this job.
former Wrote:So instead of taking a cell phone, computer, x-box, car away from your kid, you will make them miss sports. I am glad you were not my dad. I am sure practice is harder than not playing on the computer. Make your kids miss out on sports is not why they may do bad in school.

So when they miss due to you, do you expect the coach to JUST let them start again not knowing if you are going to just take them away again. Or are you going to complain about it.

That's exactly what PHS expects. He's going to take away the things that teach them teamwork and discipline and let him keep his car and cell phone. The heck with the team. PHS do you really believe intelligence isn't inherited nor athletic ability.
HAT51 Wrote:Sounds to me like they could use a new principal that will stand up support the coaches. Could be one of them that would just as soon drop the programs that cause a little headache. I wonder how many principals they have had over the 21 years.

I'm told that she(the principal) doesn't support the coaching staff or football and takes the parents word over the coaches. Just trying to save her own job. Its a shame that the school board or KHSAA hasn't noticed the trend or talked to the coaches. Four coaches in four years...come on!
former Wrote:So instead of taking a cell phone, computer, x-box, car away from your kid, you will make them miss sports. I am glad you were not my dad. I am sure practice is harder than not playing on the computer. Make your kids miss out on sports is not why they may do bad in school.

So when they miss due to you, do you expect the coach to JUST let them start again not knowing if you are going to just take them away again. Or are you going to complain about it.
:thatsfunn
You hit the nail on the head!! The parents (SOME) do just that! They don't want the kids pushed to work hard and complain when the coaches did. They want something for nothing.:Cheerlead
Bolt Wrote:Bobby Joe Lawson is a good guy and a good coach, coaching at the Cumberlands until taking that job.
I would say he will return to Whitley County where hes from and go back to Whitley which is his alma malter and take some kind of assistant job there.
Hes not one to give up easy so i would say it had a lot to do with the administration, that and im sure the Dunbar kids werent ready for the tough football Lawson brought with him making a mix for a 1-10 year like they had. Lawson is definitely a pound it out guy.
I wouldnt be surprised if he has a job already lined up, maybe even a head coaching job down here somewhere.

:rockon:
[quote=Harry Doyle]I don't think you are realizing that you are agreeing with exactly what Eddy and myself said. It's because of parents like you, by in large, that kids become successful.

Are there kids that are brought up just as your kids are, that become low lifes? Sure there is. Are there kids that come from low socioeconomic/educational levels at home? Sure there is.

There's also going to be the random flat chested woman win Playmate of the Year every now and then, also.[/QUOTE

lol great analogy
Any word as to who might get this job?
Eddy Creek Bay Wrote:That's exactly what PHS expects. He's going to take away the things that teach them teamwork and discipline and let him keep his car and cell phone. The heck with the team. PHS do you really believe intelligence isn't inherited nor athletic ability.
Of course some people do inherit intelligence, just like some inherit athletic ability. But also, I've seen tons of stellar athletes have kids without a lick of athletic talent as well as smart parents having kids who are a bit "dim" for want of a better term. I'm not at all a big fan of that kind of strong consequence for not living up to academic standards, that's why I've stressed to my kids that I mean business. They have NO doubt I will do it, and they have maintained the grades. Now, if something were to happen like an extended illness leading to a grade drop, etc., I'd understand and be more lenient. But kids have to know there will be consequences and you have to stick to your guns about them, for them to learn to prioritize. I've always explained to them that maintaining your grades is also something your teammates depend on you for as well, not just being present on the field of play.

If you will re-read my other posts, in one of them, I did say taking away the car, cell, computer, etc were also on the table. Let's say an 83 is a B, and one of my kids brings home an 82 because of one bad test, etc. I'd take away the cell/computer/tv, etc for the immediate time being with the caveat that the next test result better darn well show progress or the next step kicks in. Incremental punishment like that will keep me from having to levy the heavy one.
I am glad I had an understanding dad, I wasnt the smartest and made C's and B's. I am glad he let me play. I would never keep my kid from playing for grades.
former Wrote:I am glad I had an understanding dad, I wasnt the smartest and made C's and B's. I am glad he let me play. I would never keep my kid from playing for grades.
Can I ask exactly what is wrong with expecting academic excellence in hand with athletic? Look at the number of kids who actually go on to play in college, much less play in the pros. A good education will go far in life. It would be far to easy for me to accept mediocrity in academics for the HOPE of excellence in athletics. And arriving to college without adequate study habits is setting them up for failure. That is my job as a parent. If your kids were making C's and D's, would you still let them play if they were capable of better?

Let me also ask you this. Purely out of curiosity, because you state you weren't the smartest kid. Were your parents smart? I'm not trying to belittle or be mean.
Neersfan Wrote::thatsfunn
You hit the nail on the head!! The parents (SOME) do just that! They don't want the kids pushed to work hard and complain when the coaches did. They want something for nothing.:Cheerlead
All the more reason to push them in academics, IMO. If a parent wants something for nothing, then they're going to get nothing most of the time. I DO expect the best from my kids in sports, don't get me wrong. I'd rather be known to the coach as someone who supports excellence in both, since I'm sure the majority of them would love to have excellence in both from their players.
PHSForever Wrote:Can I ask exactly what is wrong with expecting academic excellence in hand with athletic? Look at the number of kids who actually go on to play in college, much less play in the pros. A good education will go far in life. It would be far to easy for me to accept mediocrity in academics for the HOPE of excellence in athletics. And arriving to college without adequate study habits is setting them up for failure. That is my job as a parent. If your kids were making C's and D's, would you still let them play if they were capable of better?

Let me also ask you this. Purely out of curiosity, because you state you weren't the smartest kid. Were your parents smart? I'm not trying to belittle or be mean.

You make good points but I don't think he was saying that academics should be put aside for the pursuit of athletics. I think he is simply referencing the fact that athletics, especially football, can teach young men as much about life and responsibility as a school can teach them academics. I agree that education should be priority number one, but you should not discard a young man because of a few bad grades but instead provide them with the incentives for future academic success. Removing them from a sport that gives them a reason to succeed is simply enforcing the vicious circle that some young people, especially those from tough backgrounds, get caught in. former has got it nailed.

Sorry, work spilled into that post.
Exactly, read the post above.

I dont think my parents were dumb, but they are not DRs or Lawyers either. One worked for Kroger and a factory. The did the best they could and I think that is all that matters that they supported me and never took stuff away like sports but encouraged me.
former Wrote:Exactly, read the post above.

I dont think my parents were dumb, but they are not DRs or Lawyers either. One worked for Kroger and a factory. The did the best they could and I think that is all that matters that they supported me and never took stuff away like sports but encouraged me.
My parents did the same. Cop and an office manager, neither of whom had a single college credit to their names. Yet I went on to get 2 degrees from college and am a fairly successful business executive. They preached academics first, and that stayed with me in college when I played ball. Never had a sport taken away from me because I knew they meant business and worked hard on my grades. I understand the point of offering incentives to do well in school, but if the threat of sitting for a game or two from a sport they love does it, then what is wrong with that? It worked for me, and looking back, I'm very thankful for the discipline it instilled in me academically. I can't be with them 24/7/365, and you know as well as I do, friends will let them use their cells, computers, etc in a pinch. I think it can best be summed up that we just have differences of opinion in how to discipline, and that neither is necessarily wrong. I've enjoyed the debate.
Since this a football topic, if a kid misses a game or two, then they only get 10 games to play and you take away from the team and hopefully the coaches dont play that kid because they never know if they will be able to count on them due to being grounded or suspended by parents. So they go with someone they know will be there. now the kid suffers as well as the team and the kid now resents the parents for doing that and has a dont care attitude now.
former Wrote:Since this a football topic, if a kid misses a game or two, then they only get 10 games to play and you take away from the team and hopefully the coaches dont play that kid because they never know if they will be able to count on them due to being grounded or suspended by parents. So they go with someone they know will be there. now the kid suffers as well as the team and the kid now resents the parents for doing that and has a dont care attitude now.
Is it any different if the kid doesn't make the minimum GPA required by the school? Listen, I'm not going to debate this any further, as I said, we have our own views on it. I respect yours even if I disagree with it. And any coach who would "hopefully not play" the kid because of not meeting academic criteria because they would be "undependable" in your words, would be setting a bad example IMO. I know a coach who requires their players to make 3.0 in order to play, not the minimum 2.0 or whatever it is now. I told you in an earlier post, before each season I discuss this with the coaches my kids play for, and they've been in total agreement so far. Last comment I will make. You can feel free to PM me if you want, because I don't think readers are coming on here to read you and I in an academic debate. Thanks
agreed but I will verify what I said and you took it the wrong way. A coach would see the kid as undependable because they would never know what the parent was going to do from 1 week to the next and if a C came up one week they are out.
I think that we have got off topic. Dunbar has great academics and good students. Some are rich and others are not so rich. The previous coaching staff stressed academics first over football but never got the support of the administration when it came to the football program or coaching decisions as far as discipline or dealing with whining parents.
PHSForever Wrote:My parents did the same. Cop and an office manager, neither of whom had a single college credit to their names. Yet I went on to get 2 degrees from college and am a fairly successful business executive. They preached academics first, and that stayed with me in college when I played ball. Never had a sport taken away from me because I knew they meant business and worked hard on my grades. I understand the point of offering incentives to do well in school, but if the threat of sitting for a game or two from a sport they love does it, then what is wrong with that? It worked for me, and looking back, I'm very thankful for the discipline it instilled in me academically. I can't be with them 24/7/365, and you know as well as I do, friends will let them use their cells, computers, etc in a pinch. I think it can best be summed up that we just have differences of opinion in how to discipline, and that neither is necessarily wrong. I've enjoyed the debate.

I agree, nothing wrong with sitting a player for a game or two for bad grades. However, removal from the program would be counterproductive. Kids make mistakes. Football coaches are supposed to be leaders for these kids, not their judges.
RoShamBo Wrote:I agree, nothing wrong with sitting a player for a game or two for bad grades. However, removal from the program would be counterproductive. Kids make mistakes. Football coaches are supposed to be leaders for these kids, not their judges.
Not talking about removal from the program, sitting out until grades improve. I don't think I made that clear, and I don't think former grasps the concept of me saying I discussed with coaches ahead of time and had support for my focus on academics. But anyway, Dunbar is a good school. They will turn it around. Let's get back to talking football! LOL
according to KHSAA Derrick Thomas is the New Head Coach at Dunbar
Give some info on him
^ I have no idea who he is. I believe this maybe only interim basis
I can't even begin to post with that pic up!!
Pages: 1 2 3