Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rowan County 64, Ashland 58 (16th Region Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final - Congrats to Rowan County
Congrats Rowan Co.

Good effort by Ashland seem like Rowan was going to run away with it but they fought back to make it a game.
Congrats Rowan, and coach thacker!
Rowan couldn't hardly miss most of the game. When they finally cooled off, Ashland was back in the game.
congrats rowan... you all had the hot hand it seemed
Congrats Rowan on the win. Ashland's radio man could not help himself first thing he said when game was over that Rowan was led to victory by their Somerset transfer DJ Townsend.
Rowan County was clearly the best team in the region the entire season and proved it tonight. RC never trailed a game in the district or regional tournys that I'm aware of.

Congrats to the all tourney team from RC. JR Jason Eagan, JR Adam Wing, JR DJ Downsend, and SR Darrell Cross. This team will be extremely good again next season.

I believe Rowan County has the talent and size to be playing in the final four of the sweet sixteen. They have Two Guards in the starting lineup that run sub 4.5 40's and can guard anyone in the state in the backcourt , and a front line that includes a 6'8" Center in Coreyhunter, 6'5" Adam Wing, 6'3" Jason Eagan, and the first man off the best is a 6'6" Senior shooter - Brandon Goodpaster. There is such a good mix of Speed/Size in this season Champions.

Ashland----------16
--11--18--13----58
Rowan County-----22
--12--15--15----64

ASH: Gregg 16, Delaney 15, Johnson 12, Withrow 8, Whetsel 5, Cullop 2.
RC: Townsend 23, Egan 15, Wing 14, Cross 12, Hunter 0.

FG
----23/43 (.535)----19/43 (.442)
3Pt
----4/12 (.333)----10/21 (.476)
FT
-----8/10 (.800)----16/19 (.842)
Reb
--------21--------------26
TO
----------8--------------10

Sportsmanship award:
Lewis County

All-tournament team:
Darrell Cross
, Rowan County
Dylan Delaney, Ashland
Jason Egan
, Rowan County
Corey Gregg, Ashland
Jacob Ison, Elliott County
Chris Johnson, Ashland
Timmy Knipp, Elliott County
Cody Riley, Lewis County
Terrence Smith, Lewis County
D.J. Townsend, Rowan County
Adam Wing, Rowan County

======

Ashland (24-7)
Rowan County (27-5) vs. 3rd Region Champion (Daviess County or Muhlenberg County), Thu 3/17 at 12:00 (Sweet 16 First Round in Lexington)

Why was the All Tourny team just made up of 4 teams from the tournament ? If it was a all tourny team should it not represent all teams that were in the tourny? All teams played in the tournament not just 4. Congratulations and good luck Rowan Co.
Congrats Rowan County!!
ozzy72666 Wrote:Why was the All Tourny team just made up of 4 teams from the tournament ? If it was a all tourny team should it not represent all teams that were in the tourny? All teams played in the tournament not just 4. Congratulations and good luck Rowan Co.

I agree. They take four from the champion, three from the runner-up and two from each of the other two semifinalists. If you lose in the first round, even if you have an great performance, such as with West Carter's Kyle Brown (27 pts, 6/11 3Pt vs. Rowan on 3/1), you can't be on the All-Tournament team, which I do not like at all.

Also, Daviess beat Muhlenberg 64-63 to win the 3rd, so Rowan will face them.
Rowan County Will Face Daviess from Region 3.

I see no reason why RC wouldnt be able to pull this game off. Rowan has won 23 of its last 25 games, and the two loses, one of which were to GRC, we by a combined 2 points.

In that 25 games Rowan has beaten Montgomery County, West Jessamine, Louisville Moore, Bath County, Mason County, Elliot County, Ashland Blazer(twice), Russell, and West Carter.
Suicide watch for Mark Maynard and gapman.

Tradition never dies, it just sags like breasts on an 80 woman over time.
The Iceboxx Wrote:Rowan County was clearly the best team in the region the entire season and proved it tonight. RC never trailed a game in the district or regional tournys that I'm aware of.

Congrats to the all tourney team from RC. JR Jason Eagan, JR Adam Wing, JR DJ Downsend, and SR Darrell Cross. This team will be extremely good again next season.

I believe Rowan County has the talent and size to be playing in the final four of the sweet sixteen. They have Two Guards in the starting lineup that run sub 4.5 40's and can guard anyone in the state in the backcourt , and a front line that includes a 6'8" Center in Coreyhunter, 6'5" Adam Wing, 6'3" Jason Eagan, and the first man off the best is a 6'6" Senior shooter - Brandon Goodpaster. There is such a good mix of Speed/Size in this season Champions.

Rowan was clearly the best team tonight. Their hot hand early put them on the way to victory. However they did trail Ashland midway through the 4th quarter very briefly. It was a good game to watch.
16BBall Fan Wrote:Congrats Rowan on the win. Ashland's radio man could not help himself first thing he said when game was over that Rowan was led to victory by their Somerset transfer DJ Townsend.

Since Ashland's roster includes five (Whetsel, Bush, Gregg, Cullop, Hart) transfers who played on the varsity at Rose Hill, it is probably poetic justice that a transfer from Somerset played the major role in beating them.

Add Kennedy (Chesapeake), Hunt (Russell), Terry (Fairview), and Robinson (East Carter) and Rose Hill had a pretty good group prior to the exodus. I would say that John Bush did a good job of developing players for the other area teams. I hope they appreciate his major contributions though I doubt that that is the case.

All in all, it has been a good year for high school basketball in the area. Rowan County will not be one of the better teams at Rupp Arena but they did get a most fortunate draw with all the better teams in the other bracket. Louisville Eastern will probably win it all but I'll be rooting for LexCath. It is always a good tournament.
Congrats to Rowan County on advancing to Rupp.

As mentioned earlier, the bottom of the bracket is WIDE open and almost any team there could have a chance to be playing on Saturday night for the state title.
OU812 Wrote:Suicide watch for Mark Maynard and gapman.

812, after a full season, district and region play, can you give your assessment of Townsend. Early in the year, you questioned the early assessment of him by other posters. You made a point to say let him step on the floor first. Just curious what your post season assessment would be at this point.

Lets' see, 1. play for the championship or 2. stay home, I'll take door #1 for the championship Monty.

At least it has breasts.
Colonels87 Wrote:812, after a full season, district and region play, can you give your assessment of Townsend. Early in the year, you questioned the early assessment of him by other posters. You made a point to say let him step on the floor first. Just curious what your post season assessment would be at this point.
I think he's fantastic. He dictated Ashland's game plan IMO. They didn't sell out in full court pressure often because he deals with it and they don't get turnovers. Every time Ashland made a run, he had an answer. He was fantastic tonight. I think he's definitely a top player in this region, and returning next season he should be a top 5 player in this region. So, I agree with you Colonels, he's solid. And after watching him a couple of times this season, he has gotten better as the year has gone on. I wish him and the Vikings the best next week.
gapman Wrote:Lets' see, 1. play for the championship or 2. stay home, I'll take door #1 for the championship Monty.
Nice comeback. Look, I'm not gonna continue to hack on Ashland, although I enjoy it. Just tired of hearing about the storied tradition that somehow propels this team via ghosts gone by. Players of yesteryear and teams that played before these kids took their first poop in a diaper don't amount to much. Great for fans to reminisce over, and that's about it.
Well, I got this one right!
16BBall Fan Wrote:Congrats Rowan on the win. Ashland's radio man could not help himself first thing he said when game was over that Rowan was led to victory by their Somerset transfer DJ Townsend.

Pot, meet kettle. Ashland's radio man is quite possibly the most pompous ------- that ever donned a headset. The fact of the matter is that only Scott County rivals Ashland in terms of the number of transfers over the years, and Ashland has been doing it for DECADES. Think he would have cared if the kid transferred and couldn't dribble a basketball?
Congrats to Rowan County and Coach Thacker.
HD28 Wrote:Pot, meet kettle. Ashland's radio man is quite possibly the most pompous ------- that ever donned a headset. The fact of the matter is that only Scott County rivals Ashland in terms of the number of transfers over the years, and Ashland has been doing it for DECADES. Think he would have cared if the kid transferred and couldn't dribble a basketball?

Couldn't agree more!
HD28 Wrote:Pot, meet kettle. Ashland's radio man is quite possibly the most pompous ------- that ever donned a headset. The fact of the matter is that only Scott County rivals Ashland in terms of the number of transfers over the years, and Ashland has been doing it for DECADES. Think he would have cared if the kid transferred and couldn't dribble a basketball?

Who cares...a wins a win, and a loss is a loss.. :1:
Congrats and best of luck to the Vikings in Rupp.
OU812 Wrote:Nice comeback. Look, I'm not gonna continue to hack on Ashland, although I enjoy it. Just tired of hearing about the storied tradition that somehow propels this team via ghosts gone by. Players of yesteryear and teams that played before these kids took their first poop in a diaper don't amount to much. Great for fans to reminisce over, and that's about it.

I totally see your position. At least you don't hack on the players from Ashland. As far as the tradition thing goes it would seem likely to me that the thing that sticks in the athletes head is what happened in the last game vs whoever. Tradition is just another word for history, it is what it is and people love to talk about it.
[QUOTE=All in all, it has been a good year for high school basketball in the area. Rowan County will not be one of the better teams at Rupp Arena but they did get a most fortunate draw with all the better teams in the other bracket. Louisville Eastern will probably win it all but I'll be rooting for LexCath. It is always a good tournament.[/QUOTE]

Why will Rowan not be one of the bestter teams at Rupp ??

Rowan County has the speed and size to just about compete with anyone at state. Maybe not beat the winner of the 7th, because I dont think there will be a team that can beat the champion of that region. Rowan County went to GRC who will be the number 2 ranked team in the tourny, and lost by one point, and should have won the game, as Egan was tackled as he took the game winning shot.

I like RC to advance the Final Four, I believe they have depth and the Size and Speed to compete with anyone.

IMO RC > Daviess County, Bell Co. Winner of Regions 12, 15 , 5, 12, 8, and 14.

Tell me what team out of those regions has the Size or Speed to beat RC even on paper. Rowan County has five players at 6'5" or taller (one of which is a D-1 offers for QB) and two guards that can get up and down the court as fast as anyone in KY.
:thanks:

Dickie Martin is a blabbering biased fool. Its ok to be that way as a fan, but keep him off the microphone IMO.
Pages: 1 2