Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell Co. 72 Hazard 61
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I haven't been able to find a linescore. Hazard was ahead 9 at halftime and behind 4 after 3 quarters and ended up losing by 11.
Powell hit a lot of 3 point shots.
B.J. Combs didn't play for Hazard due to being ejected in their last game but will be back for the district game against Leslie Co. next Wednesday.
congrats pirates!
WOW!! i didn't expect this at all, i thought Hazard would have won by 20+.

Congrats Pirates
Is this an upset? I know nothing about Powell Co.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Is this an upset? I know nothing about Powell Co.

yes. coming into this game Powell County was 11-10.
What we know

Hazard
Back had 10, and another player had 16 sorry all I remember

Powell

Creech 24, Marcum 17, Reed 10, B. Goodwin 9, Conner 8, Pelfrey 2, Dennis 2

Missed the Hazard scores from radio just caught 10 and 16.

Great game!!! All I can say is WOW and watch out here come the PIRATES!TongueirateSho:devilflam
Like I said earlier today, the Bulldogs have major problems. Coach Holland has his work cut out for next week.
Creech must have been the one that hit all those 3's. Congrats Powell.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Creech must have been the one that hit all those 3's. Congrats Powell.

Powell's three's were balanced tonight, Creech hit 2/3, Marcum hit 3/5, and Reed hit 2/5. Powell played some of their best defense of the year in the second half. Powell played together had 14 assists with Creech leading the way with 6 and Reed with 3.

Good win for the Pirates!
tough loss for hazard....they will be ready to go in the tourney
Without Combs this win is almost meaningless. I wouldn't get to excited about it if I were a Powell Co fan. Nonetheless, Hazard is way down though, in most years their second team & third teams can beat teams from the 56th district.
Aslan Wrote:Without Combs this win is almost meaningless. I wouldn't get to excited about it if I were a Powell Co fan. Nonetheless, Hazard is way down though, in most years their second team & third teams can beat teams from the 56th district.

You are crazy.:lmao: It wouldn't have matter if Combs was there or not. The win is a validation for the Pirates who also beat Knott this year in case you forgot.

The Pirates had a few rough games but all pistons are firing and look out Lee and Estill( or Owsley if Estill takes them lightly) Powell is out for the win in the 56th.TongueirateSho
Lol, awesome.
Aslan Wrote:Without Combs this win is almost meaningless. I wouldn't get to excited about it if I were a Powell Co fan. Nonetheless, Hazard is way down though, in most years their second team & third teams can beat teams from the 56th district.

So Powell County going on the road to play Hazard which has Eric Back, Jordan Olinger, Jon Combs, Jordan Frazier, Collier Mobelini, Jared Combs and the rest of your Hazard team is meaningless because B.J. Combs didn't play? I didn't know Hazard was a one man show. If he would have played they still would've lost. Hazard was up 9 at halftime and led by as many as 12 in the first half without B.J.??

Whenever a team from the 55th or 56th district wins a game against the powers of the 14th region its never legit. Powell has beat both Knott and Hazard this year, so I would say its not meaningless.
Aslan, you are one of the better and more logical posters on here but Powell's record is not an indication of how they are capable of playing at times. If they are on one of their hot shooting nights they can play with anyone in the region with the exception of Perry Central. They defeated Knott Central earlier this year. They're not that bad.

However, I do agree with you about the strength of the 54th district as compared to the 56th. Historically the 54th has always been stronger. But it doesn't have to be that way. Powell has 730 students and Estill has 720. That means they've both got over 350 boys to mold into competitive athletes. The only schools in the region that are larger are Perry and Letcher. Lee and Owsley are smaller schools but have had success in the past. It just takes hard work. That's what the 54th does better than anyone in the region. They work harder. Hazard has their Biddy League. There's basketball year round in sports venues around Hazard and Hindman.
Large schools like Powell and Estill should be in contention for a region basketball title every year, same as they are in baseball, where they have several regional championships in recent years. Get the youth programs going and do what it takes, but it can be done. I think the 56th is a sleeping giant on the scene in the 14th and with a little leadership, community support, and hard work, the 56th can be making a few trips to Rupp areana in the future.
My apologies, I only meant beating Hazard when they're not at full strength is not as meaningful as it would of been if they were.
LOOKAYANNER, I agree, it don't make much sense why Powell & Estill aren't consistently competing for regional titles with their enrollment. Their enrollment is around three times as much as Hazards. I would suggest the difference would be transfers that separates Perry, Hazard, Knott from the rest of the region.
Sounds like discipline and self-control is a problem with Hazard this year.
Aslan Wrote:My apologies, I only meant beating Hazard when they're not at full strength is not as meaningful as it would of been if they were.
LOOKAYANNER, I agree, it don't make much sense why Powell & Estill aren't consistently competing for regional titles with their enrollment. Their enrollment is around three times as much as Hazards. I would suggest the difference would be transfers that separates Perry, Hazard, Knott from the rest of the region.

Aslan

You know it is still the same dig on the Pirates just worded differently.
Just give them the props they deserve for once.:omg:
I agree Powell and Estill could do a better job with youth programs to cultivate their talent. They do have youth basketball programs starting as early as the third grade and the xteam has taken off in the past couple of years.

One thing Powell and Estill don't do well is recruit like Hazard, Perry, and Knott. Rosters change at those schools as often as Brett Favre changes his retirement status. Maybe thats the difference?? Powell and Estill play with the talent that they have.
keepinitreal Wrote:Aslan

You know it is still the same dig on the Pirates just worded differently.
Just give them the props they deserve for once.:omg:
One and done for Powell in the regional if they make it.
Congrats Powell.
wildcatbball Wrote:I agree Powell and Estill could do a better job with youth programs to cultivate their talent. They do have youth basketball programs starting as early as the third grade and the xteam has taken off in the past couple of years.

One thing Powell and Estill don't do well is recruit like Hazard, Perry, and Knott. Rosters change at those schools as often as Brett Favre changes his retirement status. Maybe thats the difference?? Powell and Estill play with the talent that they have.

Tell me of a kid that has played for KCC that was not from Knott County.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Tell me of a kid that has played for KCC that was not from Knott County.

Stealing kids from JBS is still considered a transfer, bub.
Great Job Coach Hall Powell seems to be peaking at the right time. Good Luck in the Tourney!
Aslan Wrote:Stealing kids from JBS is still considered a transfer, bub.

Sounds a little(or a lot) hypocritical, bub.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Aslan, you are one of the better and more logical posters on here but Powell's record is not an indication of how they are capable of playing at times. If they are on one of their hot shooting nights they can play with anyone in the region with the exception of Perry Central. They defeated Knott Central earlier this year. They're not that bad.

However, I do agree with you about the strength of the 54th district as compared to the 56th. Historically the 54th has always been stronger. But it doesn't have to be that way. Powell has 730 students and Estill has 720. That means they've both got over 350 boys to mold into competitive athletes. The only schools in the region that are larger are Perry and Letcher. Lee and Owsley are smaller schools but have had success in the past. It just takes hard work. That's what the 54th does better than anyone in the region. They work harder. Hazard has their Biddy League. There's basketball year round in sports venues around Hazard and Hindman.
Large schools like Powell and Estill should be in contention for a region basketball title every year, same as they are in baseball, where they have several regional championships in recent years. Get the youth programs going and do what it takes, but it can be done. I think the 56th is a sleeping giant on the scene in the 14th and with a little leadership, community support, and hard work, the 56th can be making a few trips to Rupp areana in the future.

Need to hire a better recruiting coordinator to compete with the 54th
I agree with a previous poster about the recruiting.Powell, Estill, Lee and Owsley do use the players that they have, and don' go looking for outsiders. Maybe it doesn't make for a winning program always, but it makes for an HONEST program. No need to point fingers, the programs that rely on "transfers" to compete know who they are. Does anyone really believe that a school with an enrollment of 300 just happens to have some of the top talent in the region in their enrollment year in and year out? That's kind of like lightning striking the same spot every year for the last 50 years. It's all done with mirrors.
Nice turnaround from a couple of years ago when kids were quitting or transferring to other schools, for whatever reasons. I'm glad Coach Hall stuck with it. A quality coach. Good job.
Sid Finch Wrote:I agree with a previous poster about the recruiting.Powell, Estill, Lee and Owsley do use the players that they have, and don' go looking for outsiders. Maybe it doesn't make for a winning program always, but it makes for an HONEST program. No need to point fingers, the programs that rely on "transfers" to compete know who they are. Does anyone really believe that a school with an enrollment of 300 just happens to have some of the top talent in the region in their enrollment year in and year out? That's kind of like lightning striking the same spot every year for the last 50 years. It's all done with mirrors.

AGREED and very glad we are all pointing this out. Lets see everyone play with the kids that actually live in their district before the season and I bet it would be a much closer region.:dontthink
Pages: 1 2