Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: You've got to be kidding!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Did I say that was his greatest ability? His greatest ability is to recruit, no doubt. But to say he hasn't developed them at all is nieve.

Billy Donovan even said it yesterday. "The days that freshmen can't get it done are over." It's the truth and I'm tired of hearing about experience. Show me the best players and that's what Cal does. The best players win championships. If the freshmen just happen to be the best players, so be it. Coach Cal will win a championship with one these types of players. It's just a matter of time. Winning a championship is hard people. If you're a great HOF coach, you're lucky to even win just ONE. Calipari was a missed three-pointer from winning one (I don't care of that season was taken away). That game wasn't about a timeout he didn't call either. I watched it. It was about a great shot that Mario Chalmers made.

Back to the freshmen argument: anymore, experienced players in college basketball are what Jay Bilas calls "player that aren't exactly cut for the NBA." Now THAT is the TRUTH.
I tune in to watch UK play because I am not a big fan of the NBA. I don't need to see the best five freshmen in the country on the floor to enjoy watching UK basketball.

As for championships, the bottom line is that Calipari has none despite being one of the top recruiters in the country for many years. And nobody has had more NCAA wins taken away than Coach Cal. Now THAT is the TRUTH.
Stardust Wrote:LOL, so still being lacking the ability to call a timeout when a timeout is needed can be justified because the team won in spite of their coach not knowing when to call one makes since to you? Hmmm, maybe you have proven my point for me. Call cannot coach, he rely's on the talent to bail him out! Thank you ODM, I've been looking for my argument, and you have given it to me:notworthy

You better be just giving me a hard time!:biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:You better be just giving me a hard time!:biggrin:

:biggrin: Always!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I tune in to watch UK play because I am not a big fan of the NBA. I don't need to see the best five freshmen in the country on the floor to enjoy watching UK basketball.

As for championships, the bottom line is that Calipari has none despite being one of the top recruiters in the country for many years. And nobody has had more NCAA wins taken away than Coach Cal. Now THAT is the TRUTH.

I think you mean "than Coach Cal's teams", but that's beside the point.

But back to my argument: Like I've said, it's really HARD to win a championship. Really, really hard. Calipari has taken two no-name teams to Final Fours (I don't care if they were taken away). Taking UMass and Memphis to Final Fours is a pretty darn good accomplishment if you ask me (even if he did cheat, which in my mind [which no one will ever get me to believe differently] he didn't). How'd he do it? He recruited some of the best players (yeah yeah, he cheated and paid them..blah blah blah) and COACHED them to the Final Four. I'll never figure out why the Cal-haters out there can't at least acredit him to that. **** people, only one team wins the title in college basketball each year. Just look at the great HOF coaches out there and how many titles they have won.

Coach K - The best coach in the game today. He has three to his credit in 30+ years of coaching at Duke. That's outstanding.

Roy Williams - Williams has two titles under his belt. He didn't even win one until he arrived at UNC and think about the great teams and players he had while coaching at Kansas.

Jim Boehim - Jim has one title to his name while coaching 30+ years at Syracuse and didn't get it until 2003. That's still pretty darn good and HOF worthy when you look at his great teams he has had and the wins he's piled up.

Jim Calhoun - Two national titles for Calhoun in 30+ years of coaching. He's another example of how hard it is to win it all.

Bill Self - Self has one title. He's a younger guy (in his mid 40's I believe) and has done an outstanding job at Kansas. I say he'll be lucky to win more though in his career.

Billy Donovan - Back-to-back titles in '06 and '07. Then what? Back-to-back NIT appearances. Starting to see what I mean yet?

Rick Pitino - Only one national title for the great Pitino. He's a heck of a great coach and will be until he's done with it all. He's getting older though and will be lucky to even get back to another Final Four.

Tom Izzo - The best example of how hard it is. He's been to an unbelievable six Final Fours and only won one NCAA Championship.

I could go on with a few more names like Lute Olson and Gary Williams and guys that haven't even won a championship (Jay Wright, Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins, and on and on and on). So, like I've said: it's tough to win a championship people. Saying Calipari has never done anything in his career is lieing to yourself.

This won't change your minds about Cal, but I just thought I'd mouth my worthless opinion about it all.

I feel like I'm contradicting myself because I started this thread, but I just didn't agree with not calling that timeout last night. That's one of the two things I haven't agreed with him doing so far (the other being him saying the SEC "means nothing" but I don't feel like getting into that).
I've always been one to questions Cals coaching ability(rightfully so), but I've got nothing to complain about here. Knight was hot all night and he was 4-4 from the 3pt line up until his last shot. He got a GREAT look, and just missed it. I honestly thought the shot was going in when it was in the air. Of ALL the things I've had to complain about Cal, this one is not worthy enough to add to that long, long, list.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I think you mean "than Coach Cal's teams", but that's beside the point.

But back to my argument: Like I've said, it's really HARD to win a championship. Really, really hard. Calipari has taken two no-name teams to Final Fours (I don't care if they were taken away). Taking UMass and Memphis to Final Fours is a pretty darn good accomplishment if you ask me (even if he did cheat, which in my mind [which no one will ever get me to believe differently] he didn't). How'd he do it? He recruited some of the best players (yeah yeah, he cheated and paid them..blah blah blah) and COACHED them to the Final Four. I'll never figure out why the Cal-haters out there can't at least acredit him to that. **** people, only one team wins the title in college basketball each year. Just look at the great HOF coaches out there and how many titles they have won.

Coach K - The best coach in the game today. He has three to his credit in 30+ years of coaching at Duke. That's outstanding.

Roy Williams - Williams has two titles under his belt. He didn't even win one until he arrived at UNC and think about the great teams and players he had while coaching at Kansas.

Jim Boehim - Jim has one title to his name while coaching 30+ years at Syracuse and didn't get it until 2003. That's still pretty darn good and HOF worthy when you look at his great teams he has had and the wins he's piled up.

Jim Calhoun - Two national titles for Calhoun in 30+ years of coaching. He's another example of how hard it is to win it all.

Bill Self - Self has one title. He's a younger guy (in his mid 40's I believe) and has done an outstanding job at Kansas. I say he'll be lucky to win more though in his career.

Billy Donovan - Back-to-back titles in '06 and '07. Then what? Back-to-back NIT appearances. Starting to see what I mean yet?

Rick Pitino - Only one national title for the great Pitino. He's a heck of a great coach and will be until he's done with it all. He's getting older though and will be lucky to even get back to another Final Four.

Tom Izzo - The best example of how hard it is. He's been to an unbelievable six Final Fours and only won one NCAA Championship.

I could go on with a few more names like Lute Olson and Gary Williams and guys that haven't even won a championship (Jay Wright, Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins, and on and on and on). So, like I've said: it's tough to win a championship people. Saying Calipari has never done anything in his career is lieing to yourself.

This won't change your minds about Cal, but I just thought I'd mouth my worthless opinion about it all.

I feel like I'm contradicting myself because I started this thread, but I just didn't agree with not calling that timeout last night. That's one of the two things I haven't agreed with him doing so far (the other being him saying the SEC "means nothing" but I don't feel like getting into that).
The wins taken away by the NCAA will not be included in Calipari's career wins record will they? If not, then I think that they qualified as his wins because he had been credited with them.

I am not a Calipari hater. He has handled the pressure of being the UK head coach as well as anybody since Rupp and he has been a great ambassador for UK basketball (notwithstanding the incident involving Jones on national TV).

I also don't think that you have to be a great coach to win a title or that failing to win a title means that you are not a great coach. I just don't personally believe that Coach Cal is a great coach and my opinion won't changes when he (almost inevitably) wins his first NCAA title. An extremely athletic, deep, and talented team can make an average coach almost unbeatable.

This team lacks the depth to be a serious title contender but, IMO, next year's team could be the most talented UK team ever if the threat of an NBA lockout results in all of this year's freshmen remaining in Lexington.

FWIW, I never thought that Pitino was much of a game day coach either - but Pitino excelled not only at recruiting but also in player development and game preparation. I just don't see evidence that Calipari has those kind of skills.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I think you mean "than Coach Cal's teams", but that's beside the point.

:Thumbs:
I thought Gary Williams won a championship with the Steve Blake and Lonny Baxter team?
LWC Wrote:I thought Gary Williams won a championship with the Steve Blake and Lonny Baxter team?
In 2002, Maryland became the first team to win an NCAA title without a single McDonald's All-American since the first one was named in 1978. Juan Dixon was the top player on that team.
20 years ago, you had the "Unforgettable's."

Is this year's UK team the "Forgettable's????"
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:20 years ago, you had the "Unforgettable's."

Is this year's UK team the "Forgettable's????"
Maybe if they had lost at home to Marshall - but the 'Cats are undefeated at home.
Tubby - Tubby- Tubby- Tubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ballcrazy Wrote:Tubby - Tubby- Tubby- Tubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We ran him out town to hire coaches with an Alcohol Problem and two stripped Final Fours!
ballcrazy Wrote:Tubby - Tubby- Tubby- Tubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take Tubby over Coach Cal anyday.
Stardust Wrote:We ran him out town to hire coaches with an Alcohol Problem and two stripped Final Fours!

I liked Tubby, but did feel he was slipping alittle his last two years at UK. I think the move to Minn. was good for him and rejuvinated him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe if they had lost at home to Marshall - but the 'Cats are undefeated at home.

:Clap:
Stardust Wrote:I knew what we were getting when we hired him (look back at the comments made when UK hired him). He is NOT an X's and O's coach. Never has been. and a coach who runs up and down the sideline does NOT make an **** of a coach! It only makes a coach who runs and and down the sideline!

You seem to always avoid the Izzo and Martin part of my comments. Any reasoning? I thought I had made a point with them you all are mad and are acting like he is horrible Cal is a I will say it again a **** of a coach. He don't just run for his health he runs to call plays and gets on to his players. If you seen the Notre Dame game Cal made adjustments and helped get the ball where it needs to be how about that for X and O's.
outdoorsman43 Wrote::Clap:

We lost to Moo Tech in Charleston on a neutral floor. The Moo Tech/WVU basketball series has not been played on campus at either school in nearly 30 years.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:We lost to Moo Tech in Charleston on a neutral floor. The Moo Tech/WVU basketball series has not been played on campus at either school in nearly 30 years.
Sorry, my mistake. Yahoo did not list that the game was played on a neutral court and I usually don't pay much attention to the mid-major games. That makes the 24 point lead that the Thundering Herd built against the Mountaineers as they coasted to a win a little less impressive. Still, I think that the 'Cats' 2 point road loss to Florida on the road is a bit more respectable than WVU's 4 point loss to Marshall on a neutral court. Don't you, Dan? :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sorry, my mistake. Yahoo did not list that the game was played on a neutral court and I usually don't pay much attention to the mid-major games. That makes the 24 point lead that the Thundering Herd built against the Mountaineers as they coasted to a win a little less impressive. Still, I think that the 'Cats' 2 point road loss to Florida on the road is a bit more respectable than WVU's 4 point loss to Marshall on a neutral court. Don't you, Dan? :biggrin:

As long as Bob Huggins is leading his Muskiteers and "PayPal Cal" (still not funny) leads ours, Dirty Dan will be just fine.

By the way, UK is 2-0 against the Big Least.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:As long as Bob Huggins is leading his Muskiteers and "PayPal Cal" (still not funny) leads ours, Dirty Dan will be just fine.

Good thing UConn does not play in the Big Least:eyeroll:
Stardust Wrote:Good thing UConn does not play in the Big Least:eyeroll:

:moon:
Alot of times you don't see Coaches call timeouts in that situation to prepare them for tournament time. You get them in the habit of calling a timeout and setting up a final play, but then what do you do in the tourny when you're down by 1, the team hits a runner with 8 seconds left and you have no timeouts.

Sure you want to set yourself up in the SEC standings.....but if Knight knocks down that three this post never starts in the 1st place, and UK will be better prepared for a run later in the year.
I think you have to call the timeout....
unless your team knows what to do.
If they have been drilled in practice as to what play to run in this situation....
then by all means, run the play while the defense is still setting up and you have an extra step on them.
We saw the same thing last year when wall came down the court and hit a game winner. Noone said then he should have called a time out.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:We saw the same thing last year when wall came down the court and hit a game winner. Noone said then he should have called a time out.

:Thumbs:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Wow, gotta love UK fa.........Cheerers?

Last year everyone on here was praising his coaching ability. CAL is amazing. And we lose some bad games and there saying hes a bad coach. Come on guys...

my words to the tee, they flop like a bunch of fishes, back and forth,lol
Wildcatk23 Wrote:We saw the same thing last year when wall came down the court and hit a game winner. Noone said then he should have called a time out.
There is a difference Wildcat, Wall knew exactly what needed to be done, and did it. He didn't come down the court and get across the line and looked lost. The three games I am talking about, it was obvious there wasn't a plan, and they looked lost trying something. As for your other post, you have never heard me say Cal is a great coach. The most of a compliment that I have ever given him, is that he is a great PR man, great recruiter, and an average coach. If you think Cal is an amazing coach, you're watching different games than me. Watch him when he doesn't get the superstar recruits, and you will see what I mean. It won't make a difference if people herecall for his head or not. If he keeps losing to mediocre SEC teams, UK will call for his head.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:As long as Bob Huggins is leading his Muskiteers and "PayPal Cal" (still not funny) leads ours, Dirty Dan will be just fine.

Stardust Wrote:Good thing UConn does not play in the Big Least:eyeroll:

Lol........
TheRealVille Wrote:There is a difference Wildcat, Wall knew exactly what needed to be done, and did it. He didn't come down the court and get across the line and looked lost. The three games I am talking about, it was obvious there wasn't a plan, and they looked lost trying something. As for your other post, you have never heard me say Cal is a great coach. The most of a compliment that I have ever given him, is that he is a great PR man, great recruiter, and an average coach. If you think Cal is an amazing coach, you're watching different games than me. Watch him when he doesn't get the superstar recruits, and you will see what I mean. It won't make a difference if people herecall for his head or not. If he keeps losing to mediocre SEC teams, UK will call for his head.

Agreed
Pages: 1 2 3