Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WKU signee has the name - and the game
The last name Fothergill carries a lot of tradition in the basketball world, especially in the Somerset area.

Mark Fothergill played basketball at Maryland from 1979-1984 and was selected by the Phoenix Suns in the 1984 NBA draft. He was a first-team All-State selection during his time playing at Somerset High School.

Fothergill has some talented offspring. Dustin played at Pulaski Southwestern and then at the University of the Cumberlands, while Devin was a star at Southwestern and is now at Presbyterian College. Both are in the 1,000-point club at Southwestern.

Now, the third child is the local star.

Danay Fothergill is a senior and has already signed with Western Kentucky University. She’s the all-time leading scorer - boys’ or girls’ - at Southwestern and is considered one of the state’s elite players.

"My last name has a lot to it," Danay said with a smile. "It mean’s athelticism. There’s not as much pressure, but the good lord lessed me with many talents and abilities.

"It’s nice for me. I am the player I am because of my family. I know me and my sister played a ton of one-on-one and that helped me out a lot."

Fothergill is averaging around 22 points a game as a senior. She entered the year with already 1,763 points and 219 three-point field-goals made. As a junior, Fothergill averaged 26 points a game.

"I expect a lot out of myself and I know my teammates expect a lot out of me," Fothergill said. "I’m just trying to enjoy the final year and have fun.

"It makes me relaxed and able to have fun to know I have already signed."

And this Fothergill is also a soccer star. At Southwestern, she set several state records including: consecutive games scoring a goal (24), consecutive games with multiple scores (10), sixth in state career scoring (144) and third in the state with goals in a season (68).

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/jodydem...-the-name/
It is nice to see an amazing athlete with a great pedigree that is humble about her accomplishments. Can't ask for much better. She isn't just PR savvy, she is great in real-life as well.
Danay is a very good role model for her younger teammates.....She is one of the best, if not the best athlete to ever walk the hallways of Southwestern High School. Expect great things from her for the remaining time as a Lady Warrior, as well as, at Western Kentucky.