Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NCAA defends Ohio State, Auburn rulings, denies playing favorites
The NCAA defended its recent rulings in violations cases involving Ohio State and Auburn, saying it does not play favorites or make decisions based on financial considerations.

The NCAA posted a statement on its website Wednesday responding to its critics. It says "the notion that the NCAA is selective with its eligibility decisions and rules enforcement is another myth with no basis in fact.

"Money is not a motivator or factor as to why one school would get a particular decision versus another. Any insinuation that revenue from bowl games in particular would influence NCAA decisions is absurd, because schools and conferences receive that revenue, not the NCAA."

Last week, the NCAA suspended five Ohio State players for five games next season, but allowed them to play in the upcoming Allstate Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story...AHeadlines
The fact that they came out and said this really provides sports fans the knowledge that the NCAA is not biased!:please: :flush:

They have always played favorites and always will. There is so many times they punish a team for one thing then let the "Perfect" schools get away with what they please.
The NCAA strikes again!!!

They've caught Vanderbilt forward Lance Goulbourne red-handed this time as he purchased a on-campus parking pass off of a student manager. He will be suspended indefinitely by the NCAA.

In other news, five Ohio State players that sold their bowl rings for tattoos are still eligible to play in their bowl game.
Last week, the NCAA suspended five Ohio State players for five games next season for selling their championship rings, trophies and other memorabilia items, but is allowing them to play in the upcoming Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Sugar Bowl executive director Paul Hoolahan told The Columbus Dispatch that he encouraged Ohio State officials to push for the players to be allowed to play Jan. 4 against Arkansas in New Orleans.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Hoolahan said in Wednesday's editions of the newspaper. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I'm extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution."

Last month, the NCAA decided not to punishment Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, even though it ruled his father had solicited money from Mississippi State while that school was recruiting his son.

In the Ohio State case, the NCAA said the players -- including quarterback Terrelle Pryor and three other starters -- had been inadequately educated about the rules and that was a mitigating factor in the case.

The NCAA reiterated that point in its statement Wednesday.

It also said bowl games and NCAA championships are evaluated differently when determining a student-athlete's punishment.

"This policy was developed and implemented by the Division I membership, specifically the Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement and approved by the Division I Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet, in 2004," the statement said.

In the Newton case, the Heisman Trophy winner was allowed to continue playing because there was no evidence that he or Auburn knew about Cecil Newton's attempts to get Mississippi State to pay $180,000 for his son's commitment out of junior college.

The NCAA said Wednesday that efforts are being made to strengthen rules "when benefits or money are solicited [but not received]."

"Put simply, had Cam Newton's father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge," the NCAA said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5966515
well them coming out with this statement may end up helping UK out with Kanter if they don't want to tick off fans even more. Especially, after them making the rulings on newton, selby and other players. IMO I think this looks good for Kanter considering they actually came out to say something. Then again they could look at it in another perspective.
I can't even stand the NCAA anymore, everything they say is complete horse crap. The NCAA saying they don't play favorites is the most laughable thing I have heard in quite a while.
In other news, pro wrestling is real and NBA officials call a clean game.
Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan lobbied Ohio State University to make sure five of its football players — including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor — would not be suspended for the game against Arkansas, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.

The players were reinstated by the NCAA for the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl after a successful lobbying effort by OSU athletic director Gene Smith and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Hoolahan said he appealed to Smith to do everything he could to ensure the Buckeyes players could be in uniform in New Orleans.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Hoolahan said. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I'm extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution."

Many Ohio State fans believe the suspensions should start immediately.

"I appreciate and fully understand the Midwestern values and ethics behind that," Hoolahan said. "But I'm probably thinking of this from a selfish perspective."

The five players apologized for their actions Tuesday at a news conference. A sixth player, linebacker Brandon Whiting, received a one-game suspension

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball...ble-122910
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan lobbied Ohio State University to make sure five of its football players — including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor — would not be suspended for the game against Arkansas, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.

The players were reinstated by the NCAA for the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl after a successful lobbying effort by OSU athletic director Gene Smith and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Hoolahan said he appealed to Smith to do everything he could to ensure the Buckeyes players could be in uniform in New Orleans.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Hoolahan said. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I'm extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution."

Many Ohio State fans believe the suspensions should start immediately.

"I appreciate and fully understand the Midwestern values and ethics behind that," Hoolahan said. "But I'm probably thinking of this from a selfish perspective."

The five players apologized for their actions Tuesday at a news conference. A sixth player, linebacker Brandon Whiting, received a one-game suspension

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball...ble-122910

Thanks for sharing this information with us and furthermore making the NCAA look worse.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:In other news, pro wrestling is real and NBA officials call a clean game.

:popcorn: That's original, must have taken hours to come up with
didn't florida state have half their team suspended last year for their bowl game against UK. I believe 34, but i guess this game is just too big!!!!
Stardust Wrote::popcorn: That's original, must have taken hours to come up with

Nah my 2 year old nephew decided it after watching 5 minutes of it :popcorn:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Nah my 2 year old nephew decided it after watching 5 minutes of it :popcorn:

I watched a video of Rick Flair on youtube, it showed him getting hit in the corner with fist and then all of a sudden he starts walking, then falls over.
It aws hilarious, and the fakest thing I have ever seen.
A bunch of crap from the ncaa. Some teams get what they want. FSU in 2007 compared to Ohio State 2010. to me its a joke. But, I have been wrong one other time.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Nah my 2 year old nephew decided it after watching 5 minutes of it :popcorn:

I'm impressed that you were able to learn something from a 2 year-old
Stardust Wrote::popcorn: That's original, must have taken hours to come up with

It didn't take a nano-second for him to come up with the comment about the refs though
Stardust Wrote:I'm impressed that you were able to learn something from a 2 year-old

I'm impressed at your love for a fake sport. Movie actors none the less Smile
zaga_fan Wrote:It didn't take a nano-second for him to come up with the comment about the refs though

It only takes a nano-second for anyone with a brain to realize the refs are full of crap.
OMG, you guys are so incredibly enlightening! Especially Wildcatk23, I didn't know that Professional Wrestling was a sport! As a matter of fact, I didn't EVER know that it was a sport, ever! Where did you here that it was? And it's a FAKE one at that - WOW :yikes:

Does that mean that the outcomes are predetermined? OMG, that would make it just as legit as any other sport out there, God Forbid:eyeroll:
Stardust Wrote:OMG, you guys are so incredibly enlightening! Especially Wildcatk23, I didn't know that Professional Wrestling was a sport! As a matter of fact, I didn't EVER know that it was a sport, ever! Where did you here that it was? And it's a FAKE one at that - WOW :yikes:

Does that mean that the outcomes are predetermined? OMG, that would make it just as legit as any other sport out there, God Forbid:eyeroll:

Touchy Touchy.