Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 College Basketball Coaches TODAY
Who are the Top 5 College Basketball coaches today. Actually, lets use this scenario:

You are the athletic director for a major university in which money is not an issue. You have either a good history or a great history. You have state of the art facilities and a fan base that will embrace you and love you if your coach is successful.

Who are the 5 coaches that you interview for this job and in what order do you desire them the most. AKA:

1.Coach K.
2.John Calipari
3.Tom Izzo
4.Rick Pitino
5.Bruce Pearl/Billy Donavon

LWC, I like the topic.
Coach K
Rick Pitino
Bill Self
Jim Boeheim
Tom Izzo
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John Calipari
Coach K
Tom Izzo
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino

Sorry I just find it impossible to go against UK :biggrin:
1. Coach K
2. Tom Izzo
3. Rick Pitino
4. John Calipari
5. Bruce Pearl
1. Coach K (any doubt about this?)
2. Izzo
3. Self
4. Williams
5. Boeheim

Cal, Pearl, Rick Barnes are great recruiters but not coaches. Those three coaches can recruit and win 30 games a year but can't win the big game. They have a combined 1 final 4 under there belt yet they recruit the best talent on a consistent basis. To me the top 5 coaches can recruit AND coach.
1.)Coach K - No need for explanation.
2.)Tom Izzo - Perennial Final 4 conteder.
3.)Mark Few - Highest Win% among active coaches.
4.)Geno Auriemma - We didn't say "Men's" College Basketball. Tease all you want. I think he's a great coach.
5.)Coach Cal - His ability to recruit is unsurpassed.
Coach K
Geno Auriemma
Rick Pitino
Tom Izzo
Pat Summitt
Dang you all and your wiley shenanigans. I'd put Geno somewhere on mine too, lol..Dont know who I'd take off the list though...The whole girls basketball thing just dont register, for whatever reason..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Dang you all and your wiley shenanigans. I'd put Geno somewhere on mine too, lol..Dont know who I'd take off the list though...The whole girls basketball thing just dont register, for whatever reason..

:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Coach K
Geno Auriemma
Rick Pitino
Tom Izzo
Pat Summitt

Trying to one-up me by putting 2 women's coaches in there?
lol
1. Coach K
1A. Izzo
3. Pat Summit
4. Roy Williams
5. Geno Auriemma
MVP2 Wrote:1.Coach K.
2.John Calipari
3.Tom Izzo
4.Rick Pitino
5.Bruce Pearl/Billy Donavon

LCW, I like the topic.

Calipari over Izzo? Seriously? Explain please anybody who ranks Calipari ahead of Izzo.
Coach K
Tom Izzo
Roy Williams
Coach Geno
Calhoun/Boeheim and about 5 others.
zaga_fan Wrote:Trying to one-up me by putting 2 women's coaches in there?
lol

Until last year, I would have put Pat Summit at number 2. Kind of hard for me to not have the general on this list as well. He had to be a great coach, because he sure was not a great communicator, and he didn't cheat when recruiting.
1. Tom Izzo
2. Coach K
3. Bill Self
4. Rick Pitino
5. Brad Stevens
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Coach K
Tom Izzo
John Calipari
Rick Pitino
Bill Self
theVILLE Wrote:1. Tom Izzo
2. Coach K
3. Bill Self
4. Rick Pitino
5. Brad Stevens

He is gonna be a REALLY good coach for a lot of years.

My wife and I were at the college last year and were watching the NCAA tournament and she thought he was one of the Butler players that was injured (often times NBA players who are hurt are in suits, etc...) She was amazed when I told her that he was the coach, lol.
LWC Wrote:He is gonna be a REALLY good coach for a lot of years.

My wife and I were at the college last year and were watching the NCAA tournament and she thought he was one of the Butler players that was injured (often times NBA players who are hurt are in suits, etc...) She was amazed when I told her that he was the coach, lol.

I honestly think he will be a top 3 coach someday. But at butler there isnt aby other coach could do better than what he has. He is one of my fav coaches
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
1. Coach K
2. Huggy
3. Izzo
4. Calhoun
5. Bill Martin
1.Coach K (Duke should suck at sports this guy is a friggen legend, and i love his style.)
2.Tom Izzo(Michigan State Like Duke should suck at bball, he has made them what they are)
3.Pat Summit(She is pure class and could coach my kids anyday of the week)
4.john Calipari(Recruiting and talent level is second to none)
5.Rick Pitino(Coached the best team in the history of the sport. Period)
Jarons Wrote:Calipari over Izzo? Seriously? Explain please anybody who ranks Calipari ahead of Izzo.

He's the coach at UK so no matter his credentials he's a top 5 coach and belongs over Izzo despite the fact that he has 6 final 4's and a national title!
1. Coach K (No question!)
2. Tom Izzo
3. Pat Summit (I watch girls basketball because of this lady)
4. Jim Boeheim
5. Bill Self

I wanted to put Brad Stevens on this list so bad! Because he will be one of the greatest coaches ever! In my opinion!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Jarons Wrote:Calipari over Izzo? Seriously? Explain please anybody who ranks Calipari ahead of Izzo.

Yup, If I was an AD I go out and offer Coach K whatever he wanted, if he declined.Then, my next option would be to go after Coach Cal so I know my team would get 3 and 4 of the best high school players in the nation giving my team a great chance to win.
MVP2 Wrote:Yup, If I was an AD I go out and offer Coach K whatever he wanted, if he declined.Then, my next option would be to go after Coach Cal so I know my team would get 3 and 4 of the best high school players in the nation giving my team a great chance to win.

So you would rather pick a coach with 2 trips to the final four, 1 runner up (both vacated), with a .700 winning percentage in the NCAA tourney and 3 time coach of the year (Calipari) over a coach that has appeared in 6 final fours 1 National Title, 1 runner up (None vacated), with a .745 winning percentage in the NCAA tourney, 4 time coach of the year, who wins the most when it counts the most, 84% of his players get a degree that complete their eligibility (I could not find Calipari's graduation), who had done this in the Big 10 his entire career (Izzo).
Not only that, Izzo's players play harder than anyone in the nation and play smart.
Aslan Wrote:1. Coach K (any doubt about this?)
2. Izzo
3. Self
4. Williams
5. Boeheim

Cal, Pearl, Rick Barnes are great recruiters but not coaches. Those three coaches can recruit and win 30 games a year but can't win the big game. They have a combined 1 final 4 under there belt yet they recruit the best talent on a consistent basis. To me the top 5 coaches can recruit AND coach.

If anyone would know it's definitely you!!:eyeroll:
superfreak Wrote:If anyone would know it's definitely you!!:eyeroll:

It's definitely his opinion, and an opinion that more of us agree with than those who don't
1) Coach K
2) Coach Tom Izzo
3) Coach Bill Self
4) Coach Cal, just based on his recruiting
5) Coach Geno/Coach Summitt
Navajo4life Wrote:1) Coach K
2) Coach Tom Izzo
3) Coach Bill Self
4) Coach Cal, just based on his recruiting
5) Coach Geno/Coach Summitt

Right now, do you consider Geno and Pat as equals?
Jarons Wrote:So you would rather pick a coach with 2 trips to the final four, 1 runner up (both vacated), with a .700 winning percentage in the NCAA tourney and 3 time coach of the year (Calipari) over a coach that has appeared in 6 final fours 1 National Title, 1 runner up (None vacated), with a .745 winning percentage in the NCAA tourney, 4 time coach of the year, who wins the most when it counts the most, 84% of his players get a degree that complete their eligibility (I could not find Calipari's graduation), who had done this in the Big 10 his entire career (Izzo).
Not only that, Izzo's players play harder than anyone in the nation and play smart.

I completely agree!!! Izzon is a legend in my eyes... Cal is a great recruiter but in order to win a championship or go to the final four, you almost HAVE to have expierence!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"