Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyrie Irving out Indefinitely
Not good for the Blue Devils.
He's possibly out for the year with a toe injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5900154
zaga_fan Wrote:Not good for the Blue Devils.
He's possibly out for the year with a toe injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5900154

I'm not so sure he is out for the year Zaga..
From what I seen on ESPN it's not that serious just a few games..
I could be wrong though.

This is a big blow to Duke and couldn't had happened at a worst time in the season as conference play creeps up on the dUKies.
He is averaging 17 a game for the Blue Devils, however Dawkins is already filling his shoes quite well plus they have Nolan Smith.

He is a freshman so any Duke fan really shouldn't be sweating.
Ballers Wrote:I'm not so sure he is out for the year Zaga..
I could be wrong though.

This is a big blow to Duke and couldn't had happened at a worst time in the season as conference play creeps up on the dUKies.
He is averaging 17 a game for the Blue Devils, however Dawkins is already filling his shoes quite well plus they have Nolan Smith.

Quote:By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Archive
Duke freshman point guard Kyrie Irving, an early favorite for national freshman of the year, could miss the rest of the season with a right toe injury suffered in the second half of Saturday's win against Butler.

No timetable has been set for his return. According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Irving didn't break a bone in his toe, but the injury involves ligaments.

The source said Duke is not going to rush Irving back, with his health and long-term future as a likely top-five NBA draft pick in the balance.

HUGE blow for Duke if he is indeed out the year. I doubt he will be though. I can't pick who the better freshman is between him and TJ.
Bad news for Duke, IMO they still have firepower but it is never good when your starting guard is injured.
Aslan Wrote:HUGE blow for Duke if he is indeed out the year. I doubt he will be though. I can't pick who the better freshman is between him and TJ.

I think Irving is better.
TJ shows flashes of greatness with a bit of immaturity.
Irving seemed like he had been running that offense for years.
Irving is good, but I wouldn't compare him and TJ.. They play different positions.

But if your discussing Freshman of the year. Numbers don't lie Smile
Not to mention, Knight is right in the mist with TJ and Irving for Freshman of the year.
Not good news for the Dukies.
major blow for the depth at the Guard position, but this team is DEEP! I hate to even think this, but this could be dUKe's best team ever. Watching them over the past few weeks, there substitution resembles (dare I did not say match) the '96 Cats. This team is head and shoulders above any other team I have seen this season.

I hate'm, but good lord, they are GOOD!
Ballers Wrote:Irving is good, but I wouldn't compare him and TJ.. They play different positions.

But if your discussing Freshman of the year. Numbers don't lie Smile
Not to mention, Knight is right in the mist with TJ and Irving for Freshman of the year.

I think Kobe is better than Darko....
they play different positions....
is that not a valid argument?
Stardust Wrote:major blow for the depth at the Guard position, but this team is DEEP! I hate to even think this, but this could be dUKe's best team ever. Watching them over the past few weeks, there substitution resembles (dare I did not say match) the '96 Cats. This team is head and shoulders above any other team I have seen this season.

I hate'm, but good lord, they are GOOD!

I still think they lack a key big man.
But the Plumlee's keep proving me wrong.
doubt hes out for the year he'll be back in a couple of weeks i would say
Saw on ESPN that there's a good chance he will be out for the entire season. I believe they said he may have torn a ligament.
Does this hurt Dukes chances at a repeat? Definitely. But you have to remember basically this same team won the title last year and they still have some other freshman that contribute that has made the team better and gives them more depth. None of them are of the caliber of Irving though.
they do have the curry kid and he might be better than his brother who is in the NBA
zaga_fan Wrote:I think Kobe is better than Darko....
they play different positions....
is that not a valid argument?

Darko is someone really not anywhere near the skill level of Kobe..

That is like comparing a Corvette to an 80' Buick.
Ballers Wrote:I'm not so sure he is out for the year Zaga..
I could be wrong though.

I actually think that this is the best time for a injury to occur. (No injury is a good thing) But, between December 4th to January 2nd Duke plays lesser competition in Bradley, St. Louis, Elon, UNC Greensboro then ACC starts on Jan. 2nd and its not as strong as it has been in recent years.
Does Irving out mean Duke is more vulnerable, ...absolutely.. Irving will have plenty time to rest up during these games if he comes back. I just hope its not a Ty Lawson injury and he can come back.
Darn
NYY10 Wrote:I actually think that this is the best time for a injury to occur. (No injury is a good thing) But, between December 4th to January 2nd Duke plays lesser competition in Bradley, St. Louis, Elon, UNC Greensboro then ACC starts on Jan. 2nd and its not as strong as it has been in recent years. Does Irving out mean Duke is more vulnerable, ...absolutely.. Irving will have plenty time to rest up during these games if he comes back. I just hope its not a Ty Lawson injury and he can come back.

NC State may have something to say about you thinking Duke will run through the ACC.
Ballers Wrote:NC State may have something to say about you thinking Duke will run through the ACC.

They'll have little to say about it
Ballers Wrote:NC State may have something to say about you thinking Duke will run through the ACC.

Im not saying they will run through the ACC, all I was saying was until Jan. 2nd Duke plays weaker competition and Irving wouldn't be much needed to win these games in that span. Would be a chance for him to get extra rest if he does come back.. Duke WILL get beat, specially now. but if I had to guess what ACC team it would be. I would say Virginia Tech or North Carolina, possible Maryland
NYY10 Wrote:Im not saying they will run through the ACC, all I was saying was until Jan. 2nd Duke plays weaker competition and Irving wouldn't be much needed to win these games in that span. Would be a chance for him to get extra rest if he does come back.. Duke WILL get beat, specially now. but if I had to guess what ACC team it would be. I would say Virginia Tech or North Carolina, possible Maryland

I will agree to V tech and Maryland, Duke should run over NC.
zaga_fan Wrote:They'll have little to say about it

Yea, I hear ya.
Ballers Wrote:Yea, I hear ya.

NC State wouldn't even be a passing thought of yours had not a UK recruit passed up on the Wildcats for the Pack.
zaga_fan Wrote:NC State wouldn't even be a passing thought of yours had not a UK recruit passed up on the Wildcats for the Pack.

If you had seen him play, you would change your opinion but you obviously have not.
Ballers Wrote:If you had seen him play, you would change your opinion but you obviously have not.

I watched NC State play twice this year and they don't look like they can contend with Duke.