Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$2B of BP fund will go to emergency compensation
NEW ORLEANS — Calling the BP oil spill payout an unprecedented event in U.S. history, the administrator of the fund said Wednesday he expects to pay $2.3 billion in emergency compensation.

The number of claims for emergency payments from the BP oil spill will probably total 450,000, said Kenneth Feinberg, administrator of the $20 billion BP fund. About 175,000 of people making claims can expect to see a check, he said. The remaining applications have no paperwork, bad paperwork or are potentially fraudulent, he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010...titialskip

einberg's Gulf Coast Claims Facility has doled out $2 billion in emergency payments to 127,000 claimants since its inception Aug. 23, according to facility statistics. About 30,000 of those claims came in the past two days, Feinberg said. The filing deadline was midnight Tuesday.

"There's never been anything like this in American history," Feinberg said during a telephone conference.

The crisis began in April when the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded and sank about 50 miles off Louisiana's coast, killing 11 crewmembers and unleashing the largest oil spill in U.S. history. BP leased the rig and is responsible under U.S. law for the spill's cleanup, as well as compensating its victims.

Claimants to the emergency fund have included everyone from out-of-work shrimpers and oystermen to hoteliers, barkeeps and strip club owners who claim the spill sank their businesses. About 1,000 claims are suspected to be fraudulent and some of those have been turned over to the Justice Department, Feinberg said.
How many freeloaders will jump all over this one?
About as many people who wont get anything that deserve it.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:About as many people who wont get anything that deserve it.

Unfortunately, you are exactly right. The money will go to those who do not deserve it, but who can lie, cheat and steal better than those who have the means to get what they truly NEED!
Stardust Wrote:Unfortunately, you are exactly right. The money will go to those who do not deserve it, but who can lie, cheat and steal better than those who have the means to get what they truly NEED!

People will be looking for handouts while the people who need the money will be left to dry.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:People will be looking for handouts while the people who need the money will be left to dry.

I know. It's the sick society that we have. But, I guess we could live in a place like the Middle East. It's a shame to think that this is the best country in the nation with how people are so willing to steal from each other. On the flip side, we have people who will bend over backwards to help the needy.
Stardust Wrote:I know. It's the sick society that we have. But, I guess we could live in a place like the Middle East. It's a shame to think that this is the best country in the nation with how people are so willing to steal from each other. On the flip side, we have people who will bend over backwards to help the needy.

I know, Al gore tried to save us all! LMAO. I JUST LAUGHED AT MY SELF.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I know, Al gore tried to save us all! LMAO. I JUST LAUGHED AT MY SELF.

Without Al Gore, we would not have the Internet, thus we would not be jabbering right now:biggrin: