Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Catholic: Coach Eviston points 'Breds to title
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../11240351/

Quarterback Brady Hightchew, whose decisive reads in the pocket powers the quick-strike offense of Newport Central Catholic, doesn't need time to think as he recalls the many ways first-year coach Eddie Eviston has helped him become a better player.

"He really brings a lot to the table. What he says, I take in," Hightchew said of Eviston, a former Thoroughbred and a three-time NAIA Player of the Year as a quarterback at Georgetown College. "He helps me even when he's not around."

Eviston brought film of some Georgetown highlights to NewCath pizza parties where the players usually review film of the week's upcoming opponent.

NewCath (11-2) plays at Corbin (11-2) Friday in a 7:30 p.m. Class 2A state semifinal.

"After we were done looking at film and everybody kind of moved around, I popped in the Georgetown film and I noticed their offense, when coach played for them, is a lot like ours," Hightchew said. "I actually took a couple of good learning tips out of it, like where to drop on certain plays and what depth level to throw the ball on some plays."

Hightchew's improvement under Eviston is stunning. The junior has completed 70 percent of his passes for 1,506 yards with just four interceptions. Last year, Hightchew completed 58 percent and had nearly twice as many interceptions (11) as touchdowns (6).

"Brady usually puts the ball right there," said tight end Jake Cain, who had four catches for 57 yards and a touchdown in last week's 56-21 win against Holy Cross.

The 'Breds are averaging 59 points in the playoffs.

Cain said Eviston has improved Hightchew's awareness in the pocket while teaching him how best to use his speed outside the pocket. Coach and pupil also have worked on hiding the football during play-action.

"He gives us another dimension with his speed when he's on the move," Eviston said of Hightchew. "He's done a great job finding the right guy after his fake. Play-action's important against Corbin because we want to pull those linebackers up so we can get behind them."

Hightchew went over 1,000 yards rushing last week (he's at 1,002) with 123 against Holy Cross. He epitomizes the 'Breds' balanced attack with 12 passing touchdowns on the season and 12 rushing TDs.

When the season started, former NewCath coach Bob Schneider had a stat-record 345 wins and Eviston was tied for the fewest with zero. But Cain said the new coach had instant credibility with the players because of his familiarity with the team.

"I would say it's been seamless. A lot of guys have gotten better," Cain said. "Coach saw what coach Schneider did and took some tips and used what he knows and it's worked out for the best."

Said Eviston: “The good thing for us is Coach (Schneider) left the program at the top of its game.”

Friday, Eviston will have the Thoroughbreds one step beyond last season. NewCath was a third-round loser to DeSales in 2009.

The ’Breds, three times a state champion under Schneider, are looking for their first title since winning back-to-back Class A crowns in 2005-06. NewCath was the Class 2A state runner-up in 2007-08. The ’Breds won the Class 2A title in 1984.

If they beat Corbin on Friday, the Thoroughbreds will be making their seventh state final appearance in 11 years in the Class 2A title game Dec. 3 at Western Kentucky University’s Houchens-L.T. Smith Stadium. Friday’s winner plays the Owensboro Catholic-Danville winner.