Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(RUMOR) Highlands/Harlan County Venue Change
I will mark this as a rumor until we get a credible confirmation from the media just to be safe.

Looks like due to lighting difficulties the 5A State Semifinal will be moved to Evarts High School's field (formerly a 1A school).

Controversial move, as I am not sure Evarts would be suitable to host a 1A Semi-Final. For those attending games it appears you should probably make the necessary adjustment to your agenda.
Move it to Cumberland.
Let us know what the official word is, because if that game gets moved to Evarts, I'm definitely going.

That would be surreal.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I will mark this as a rumor until we get a credible confirmation from the media just to be safe.

Looks like due to lighting difficulties the 5A State Semifinal will be moved to Evarts High School's field (formerly a 1A school).

Controversial move, as I am not sure Evarts would be suitable to host a 1A Semi-Final. For those attending games it appears you should probably make the necessary adjustment to your agenda.
If the issue is lighting, why not move game time to earlier in the day on Friday, or even on Saturday?

Seems like moving it to a questionable venue isn't the right answer to the fans and followers of both team who want to see the game.
Wouldn't it be great if they played some of the semistate games at a common site say like EKU.

Where a peron could watch HCHS and Highlands and then Watch Boyle vs Bell, and then watch Somerset vs Belfry. Corbin

Man that would be great for the fans.
Anyone have address for Evarts and how much further from Cawood is it?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I will mark this as a rumor until we get a credible confirmation from the media just to be safe.

Who is behind this move? HHS demanded Bell play them at EKU in 92 or play on Sat. due to travel. SO what did Coach Hilton decided to do??? He decided it was his game to host and they played on Turkey day!!!

Semi game at Evarts would be crazy to say the least.
William Muney Wrote:Who is behind this move? HHS demanded Bell play them at EKU in 92 or play on Sat. due to travel. SO what did Coach Hilton decided to do??? He decided it was his game to host and they played on Turkey day!!!

Semi game at Evarts would be crazy to say the least.

Not sure... it sounds like the HCHS administration is making the call do to the lighting.

My thought is either play Saturday during the day or contact Letcher Central and see if they can play the game there and give a share of the profits. Then you would have a nice, large facility with a turf surface.

All I know is Evarts could not fit the HHS travelling fans, let alone the the very enthusiastic HCHS fanbase.

I reiterate this is only A RUMOR right now.
With the magnitude of this game and the impact of the holidays, I feel it is appropriate to have a separate thread for this as it could potentially cause drastic changes in people's plans.
I haven't spoken to the media or directly to any official, but my understanding is that the problem was the clarity of the mics that the refs used last week.

I don't think the site of the game has been changed, but I haven't verified this.
As I said on the other tread, what's so tough about fixing lights or anything else that could be wrong. Electicians are plentiful, parts can easily be had overnight, bucket trucks are everywhere. Someone please give a good reason why any problem can't be taken care of by Friday. This must be a bad joke.
2dog Wrote:As I said on the other tread, what's so tough about fixing lights or anything else that could be wrong. Electicians are plentiful, parts can easily be had overnight, bucket trucks are everywhere. Someone please give a good reason why any problem can't be taken care of by Friday. This must be a bad joke.

I do commercial lighting for a living. If it is Sportslyters there is a very complicated reason why they would not be able to have these. I know from our manufacturers that those fixtures are made to order and usually require a 2-3 week timeframe to build. Additionally, with the holidays coming up there is a very good chance that they would have to be on the shelf assembled right now to even have a chance to ship. Factories will not be open Tomorrow or Friday.

Now sports lighting companies like Musco may very well have some parts or pieces on the shelf right now, but it is far from a done deal
2dog Wrote:As I said on the other tread, what's so tough about fixing lights or anything else that could be wrong. Electicians are plentiful, parts can easily be had overnight, bucket trucks are everywhere. Someone please give a good reason why any problem can't be taken care of by Friday. This must be a bad joke.

Umm, Thanksgiving! :biggrin:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I do commercial lighting for a living. If it is Sportslyters there is a very complicated reason why they would not be able to have these. I know from our manufacturers that those fixtures are made to order and usually require a 2-3 week timeframe to build. Additionally, with the holidays coming up there is a very good chance that they would have to be on the shelf assembled right now to even have a chance to ship. Factories will not be open Tomorrow or Friday.

Now sports lighting companies like Musco may very well have some parts or pieces on the shelf right now, but it is far from a done deal
OK, thanks for the answer. The vast majority of high school stadiums are not being used now. May I suggest asking around and getting a loaner from someone. Seems simple enough. Probably thousands not being used right now. I'm sure dedicated people would be glad to take the time to get it right.
From the front office at Highlands, the game is still on at Cawood with a begin time of 7:30. So if the rumor is true, Highlands has not been informed as of yet.
I smell a strong odor of BS on this one...The JACHS field was being painted yesterday.
Could they play at Harlan City
University of the Cumberlands would be a good host for the game.
Move the game to Bell Co. and play a doubleheader!!!!!

I would say 99% chance this game will be played at Cawood field at 7:30 friday night. The HC superintendent will make sure it happens. He is second to none in his support.
tradition Wrote:From the front office at Highlands, the game is still on at Cawood with a begin time of 7:30. So if the rumor is true, Highlands has not been informed as of yet.

maybe that is how larkey plans to beat highlands... a forfeit. they didnt show up to the right field for the game.

before all of the hate gets thrown my way it was a joke.
Granny Bear Wrote:I haven't spoken to the media or directly to any official, but my understanding is that the problem was the clarity of the mics that the refs used last week.

I don't think the site of the game has been changed, but I haven't verified this.

Clarity of the microphones??? As I recall, even the state finals don't have referees with microphones, like they use in college and the pros. Shouldn't be an issue at all.
Just got off the phone with Tom Larkey, and the game being moved to Evarts is strictly a RUMOR ... the game will still be played at Cawood HS

- Rock
http://www.derekforrest.com
http://www.twitter.com/derekwymt
Just have it in Middlesboro. It holds a pretty good bit. 4 lane road all the way from I-75...
rock19701 Wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom Larkey, and the game being moved to Evarts is strictly a RUMOR ... the game will still be played at Cawood HS

- Rock

:Thumbs::biggrin:
rock19701 Wrote:Just got off the phone with Tom Larkey, and the game being moved to Evarts is strictly a RUMOR ... the game will still be played at Cawood HS

- Rock

It is finished!
tradition Wrote:Anyone have address for Evarts and how much further from Cawood is it?

:pleaseBig Grinon't buy into this. It has the stench of BS surrounding it.
Can you dig it? Wrote::pleaseBig Grinon't buy into this. It has the stench of BS surrounding it.

Yea, knew that. I was just looking it up out of curiosity and found a stadium and was wondering if it was Evarts. Actually, I wasn't sure if what I found was a stadium or not.:biggrin:
tradition Wrote:Yea, knew that. I was just looking it up out of curiosity and found a stadium and was wondering if it was Evarts. Actually, I wasn't sure if what I found was a stadium or not.:biggrin:

Here is a google map link to the Evarts field.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=ev...2&t=h&z=18
Gitback Coach Wrote:Let us know what the official word is, because if that game gets moved to Evarts, I'm definitely going.

That would be surreal.

I agree, any game at Evarts High School has a surreal feeling to it. A game of this magnitude at that stadium would be insane.
Man, I was absolutely FIRED UP and ready to change my travel plans to go watch that game at Evarts. Guess I'll settle for the Corbin-NewCath matchup.

Darn you, rumor-starters!

It was ****ed fun to imagine, though.
Surreal is a good word. That's how I felt in the 1990 state semifinals game against Bellevue.