Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(9)Kentucky 74 (11)Washington 67
So everyone, you seen it, I came up with the Blue Knight.
MVP2 Wrote:A very good win for the young Cats as they can take a lot from this one. We have to make those free throws but I think that'll come as the season continues (hopefully). I like our chances to win against Uconn, lets bring home the gold.

** Hey Stardust, what your thoughts on big #55 tonight, 9points, 14 rebounds (7 off rebs). Big Grin

You know what they say about Blind squirrels :biggrin:

I was impressed with the inside game tonight. Knight is certainly the real deal. We may have three first round NBA picks this year!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Come on Wildcat, we played the 11th best team in the country like already mentioned. They had more experience than us and we still won without Miller & Knight at the end of the first half.

Speaks volumes to me.

I was impressed with Washington as well. I certainly do not think they are as good as those who were posting in the prediction thread. Their numbers were inflated against poor competition. Are they a good basketball team? Absolutely. This was a very good win by the Cats!
Harrelson is probably one of my favorite UK players ever. No he is not very good but he gives you all he has and he is even better off of the court. Great kid. Decent shot, terrible hands.
I was impressed with UK's athleticism. But, they are going to have to come up with more of an offense than a high ball screen and just let knight create.
FBALL Wrote:I was impressed with UK's athleticism. But, they are going to have to come up with more of an offense than a high ball screen and just let knight create.

True
MVP2 Wrote:A very good win for the young Cats as they can take a lot from this one. We have to make those free throws but I think that'll come as the season continues (hopefully). I like our chances to win against Uconn, lets bring home the gold.

** Hey Stardust, what your thoughts on big #55 tonight, 9points, 14 rebounds (7 off rebs). Big Grin

My thoughts are he coulda had 30 rebounds after the other 15 he messed up.
With that said, I am very happy JH was in the game, but he definitley coulda had more boards.
He played great D under the goal and MVP your right, without JH in the game last night we'd probably be playin' for 3rd place.

Miller was 2-5 and had 8 points.. Hit the dagger FT's to seal the deal. Miller, IMO should shoot more or Knight should get
him open for the go-ahead 3 more often.
Aslan Wrote:I will hate on JH the entire year.
If Vargas would have got the pt JH had, I'm very confident he would have had around the same stats.

In my opinion and Asian is just my opinion Josh H is the much better player. Vargas doesn't seem to have what it takes to play at this high level. I do however think both are really just role players and that's exactly what they would be doing if UK had a good big man in the middle. We will have to depend on Josh H to play big for us this year and I think he will do OK.
UK was a little streaky tonight but a win's a win.
They played good in spurts.
If not for that stint in the middle to the end of the first half they could have won by 20
zaga_fan Wrote:UK was a little streaky tonight but a win's a win.
They played good in spurts.
If not for that stint in the middle to the end of the first half they could have won by 20

They played like Freshman during that stretch. The upper classmen, Liggins and Miller just don't have that ability to calm this team.
Stardust Wrote:They played like Freshman during that stretch. The upper classmen, Liggins and Miller just don't have that ability to calm this team.

I think they'll become better leaders as the year goes on....
they have to
zaga_fan Wrote:I think they'll become better leaders as the year goes on....
they have to

Liggins is not the leader type. No knock on him, it's just his make-up. Miller has that ability and in the 5 years of HS ball that I watched of him, he always showed glimpses. But instead of taking the lead, he always deferred to players like Middleton and Setty. There is nothing that leads me to believe he will step up in college to be that leader. IMO, I think Jones and Knight will be the leaders. Knight is incredibly intelligent and understands what needs to be done on the floor. Jones will be the type of leader that Cousins was last year. Thus, I see Liggins and Miller doing their job, the job they are told to do!
Sometimes Im afraid liggins would drive all the way to the goal every play if Calipari doesnt stay on him to pass. Everybody in the gym knows when liggins is going to drive. He has played pretty decent. JH plays hard or stands and watches. This team is not deep and to be good they have to play extra hard so we are a team that can get worn down. Missing free throws just kept giving washington another chance. This was a great win. We sure need kanter.
catwoman Wrote:Sometimes Im afraid liggins would drive all the way to the goal every play if Calipari doesnt stay on him to pass. Everybody in the gym knows when liggins is going to drive. He has played pretty decent. JH plays hard or stands and watches. This team is not deep and to be good they have to play extra hard so we are a team that can get worn down. Missing free throws just kept giving washington another chance. This was a great win. We sure need kanter.

Excellent Post - and great observation:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Liggins is not the leader type. No knock on him, it's just his make-up. Miller has that ability and in the 5 years of HS ball that I watched of him, he always showed glimpses. But instead of taking the lead, he always deferred to players like Middleton and Setty. There is nothing that leads me to believe he will step up in college to be that leader. IMO, I think Jones and Knight will be the leaders. Knight is incredibly intelligent and understands what needs to be done on the floor. Jones will be the type of leader that Cousins was last year. Thus, I see Liggins and Miller doing their job, the job they are told to do!

I feel ya.
It just seems to me the Jones and Knight are still pretty raw.
Knight not as much as Jones.
I think the leadership will have to come from somewhere else.
Call me crazy, but I think Darius will have to be the one.
Especially if he wants the salary of a lottery pick
zaga_fan Wrote:I feel ya.
It just seems to me the Jones and Knight are still pretty raw.
Knight not as much as Jones.
I think the leadership will have to come from somewhere else.
Call me crazy, but I think Darius will have to be the one.
Especially if he wants the salary of a lottery pick

Is Ballers using zaga's computer again! :flame:
Stardust Wrote:Is Ballers using zaga's computer again! :flame:

lol
nope that was me
Darius was being a leader in the 2nd half.. He was screaming at the team, IDK if you all seen it but he was definitley doing what he could to help lead them.

If he got the ball often and Knight just drove in and threw out to Miller on the wing, it'd be an automatic 3.
I sure hope that Kanter's appeal is heard and approved very soon, if not, we're in trouble when we face a team that has low post presence... North Carolina comes to mind with Zeller and Henson
^ Sorry guys, everyone has to understand that the Kanter is not going to come back. he has been considered a "Paid Professional". The well respected Tom Hammond said the exact same thing on Monday nights broadcast. Trust me, I want to see him play, but it will not happen!
^ I listened to this one on the radio and thought for sure I heard Tom Leach called Kanters name on a fast break lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know its been brought up before but, we have NO inside presence. Harrellson and Vargas are just not up to the level we need them to be. I think Harrellson is the better of the two, however, he seems to do something good then turn around and make the stupidest decision ever.That and our short bench kills us. At the end of the first half we had Hood and Polson in the game. That is not something you want to see right now even if it was the very end and you were trying to keep the starters from picking up another foul.
I think we would be a completely different team with Kanter. IMO we are one good big man away from being a top 3 team in the country.

If we had a couple of other good defensive players we could press the whole game, while thats not Caliparis style i still think were going to have to do that eventually to beat some of the teams were going to see down the road.

I'm looking forward to see what we do against Walker of UConn. I would think Calipari will put Liggins on him for most of the game, i dont see him putting Knight on him being afraid Knight might pick up quick fouls with the way Walker consistently drives. Hes averaging 30 a game but he also shoots the ball A LOT.

As long as we play our game i think we will be fine and come away with a win.

Last Night, combining Harrellson's and Vargas' stats they had a combined 13 points and 15 rebounds! So IMO, thats pretty good production from the Center position to have, as many people seem to think, two below average players at the position at least for UK standards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:Last Night, combining Harrellson's and Vargas' stats they had a combined 13 points and 15 rebounds! So IMO, thats pretty good production from the Center position to have, as many people seem to think, two below average players at the position at least for UK standards.

But don't you need that out of one guy? Our problem is that we have to have two guys give us the production of one. Thus, we have NO bench? I'd expect these numbers out of Cousins last year, and the Orton come in and add more to that!
Imagine this team with Kanter! Final Four! No doubt!