Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Selby gets to play in December *Update*
Now how exactly is this right since Enes was ruled inelgible because he took money but Selby gets cleared? According to ESPN, Selby has to pay back $5,787 to a charity of his choice and sit out 9 games before he can play for Kansas. Now that's fair. And before someone gets on here and says something about how much Kante accepted, ball in Europe is different than it is here so get your facts straight and money is money and Selby took improper benefits. But he gets to play.
At least the NCAA is consistant.
This is the stupidest thing I heard all day. The NCAA needs to get **** straight.
If Selby gets to sit games out and pay money back then Kanter should be able to do the same thing...regardless of who the benefits were from or for what reason.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Now how exactly is this right since Enes was ruled inelgible because he took money but Selby gets cleared? According to ESPN, Selby has to pay back $5,787 to a charity of his choice and sit out 9 games before he can play for Kansas. Now that's fair. And before someone gets on here and says something about how much Kante accepted, ball in Europe is different than it is here so get your facts straight and money is money and Selby took improper benefits. But he gets to play.
At least the NCAA is consistant.

FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:This is the stupidest thing I heard all day. The NCAA needs to get **** straight.
If Selby gets to sit games out and pay money back then Kanter should be able to do the same thing...regardless of who the benefits were from or for what reason.

The NCAA is viewing this as Gifts versus Pay-for-Play. This case with Selby is like the Wall case.

It appears that the NCAA deemed that Selby received gifts over a long period of time from a "family friend" (I never had one of them). Where as Kanter was paid money specifically for playing the game of basketball. It appears the difference in both Wall and Selby's situation, there was no payment for them to compete, where Kanter was given money to perform.
The question is, how is Selby going to pay back almost $6,000.00 when he does not work? His family lives in the projects and his life is basketball, just wondering?????
Navajo4life Wrote:The question is, how is Selby going to pay back almost $6,000.00 when he does not work? His family lives in the projects and his life is basketball, just wondering?????

Interesting thoughts.
Maybe the appeals committee will look at this decision when relooking at Kanter's!
I have always wondered where some of these families get this money. That will be interesting.
Guys i dont agree with Enes getting to play! but i also dont agree with selby getting to play. Accepting money is wrong and should not be right. I mean it would be like playing in the NBA nad saying hey i dont want toget paid anymore... thats the way it seems to me anyway.. But if selby gets to play I say "FREE ENES"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Great news for Jayhawk fans..
Navajo4life Wrote:The question is, how is Selby going to pay back almost $6,000.00 when he does not work? His family lives in the projects and his life is basketball, just wondering?????

Enes is writing him a check:biggrin:

Nope, it will happen just like these kids get loans today. The Bank will give them a loan based on future earnings. He will get a deferment for so many months before he has to pay the bank off. It works the same as a student loan.
Bluecat Wrote:Maybe the appeals committee will look at this decision when relooking at Kanter's!

Kanter was paid to play basketball, which made him a professional, losing his amateur status. Selby and Wall were not given money or gifts for performing basketball. That's the difference. Not saying one or the other is right, but this was the deciding factor.

It would be like a teenager playing professional golf, getting paid to compete and then trying to be eligible to play on the High School golf team. A paid professional is not allowed to compete. No matter if this is how it is done oversees or not, you cannot play amateur sports for an academic institution after you have already competed as a paid professional.
^ What is to make of the Clemson QB then?
He got paid over a million to play for the Rockies before this past football season began and has started every game. And don't tell me that the sport makes a difference because he was still a professionally paid athlete playing college ball.
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:^ What is to make of the Clemson QB then?
He got paid over a million to play for the Rockies before this past football season began and has started every game. And don't tell me that the sport makes a difference because he was still a professionally paid athlete playing college ball.

I am telling you that. The NCAA (I'm sorry, the NCAA does not make the rules, it's the college Presidents who make the rules that the NCAA governs), allows for you to have a job as long as you are not being compensated for the amateur sport you are competing in.

This happens all the time. Jackie Robinson, Deion Sanders, Danny Ainge the list is countless over the years and has been in existence since before you and I were born.

We have several professional athletes in college today, just not competing in the sport that they are seeking eligibility to compete as an amateur in. Like I said, this is not the NCAA, this is allowed for by the colleges. They set these rules, the college Presidents all vote on them (based on the recommendations that the athletic departments give), and the NCAA governs the abidance. It seems like everyone thinks the NCAA is this dictating body, they are not. They only oversee what they have been given power to oversee.
Well here is the latest on the Selby situation per Drew Franklin of KSR.

"
Josh Selby owes $5,757.58 to charity before he can take the court for Kansas (after the nine-game suspension, of course.) So where does a young man from Baltimore come up with almost six grand, you ask? Well, in Selby’s case, he’ll just have the university pick up the tab. The impermissible benefits will be paid back out of Selby’s scholarship. In other words, Kansas is donating to charity to pay back the money Josh Selby received from Carmelo Anthony’s business manager. It makes perfect sense! And seems so fair!
Discuss.
And, as always, Free Enes"

Now how exactly is this ok? Does this not make anyone else angry? Not only did the NCAA pretty much turn a blind eye to almost 6 grand in illegal benefits that Selby took but they are also not caring that Kansas is going to pay it back and not Selby.