Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#10 Florida-61 vs Morehead State-55
Final.

Kenneth Faried is a beast, 20 points and 18 rebounds.
Morehead made a great comeback, just a little short, the last score I seen was 40 - 24.
Wow, MSU made a game out of this. I'd have predicted a 20 point win for Florida. Great job Eagles
^

Outscored the Gators 38-27 the second half.
Nice showing from the Eagles!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Good showing by my alma mater. Go Eagles.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Billy Donovan felt like he was watching an NBA game on Sunday afternoon.

He definitely believes he was watching an NBA player, anyway. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of his own.

The Gators (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today, No. 9 AP) escaped Morehead State's upset bid with a 61-55 victory at the O'Connell Center, but Donovan couldn't stop talking about what Kenneth Faried did against Florida's front court.

Faried scored 20 points and grabbed 18 rebounds -- including 14 in the second half -- and nearly got the Eagles their third victory in 26 tries against a Southeastern Conference team.

"That's Dennis Rodman all over again," Donovan said. "If I was an NBA general manager I'd be taking him with my pick. That's what a next-level guy looks like. He just totally destroyed our frontcourt. ... That was definitely an incredible performance by a terrific player."

Faried scored Morehead's first six points but didn't do much the rest of the first half, which ended with Florida ahead by 17 points. He took over the game in the second half, scoring 14 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. His fourth dunk helped the Eagles (2-2) get to within six points with 24 seconds remaining.

"I just competed my hardest today and I guess I looked up and got 14 rebounds," Faried said. "That's what I pride myself on. I pride myself on getting rebounds and going to the boards as hard as I can.

"Everyone says I'm a tough competitor and has a motor that runs. For Billy Donovan to even say that [he's comparable to Rodman], that's a great honor for me."

Faried was the Ohio Valley Conference's pre-season player of the year after winning the award last season and he was the nation's returning leading rebounder (13.0 per game last season). He outplayed Florida's front court of starters Alex Tyus and Vernon Macklin and reserves Patric Young and Erik Murphy. They combined for 22 points and 13 rebounds.

"He is a relentless -- and I use that with all capitals -- a relentless effort guy," Donovan said. "It is just a perseverance, it's a mentality, it's a makeup. It's who he is. He is a complete warrior and I have the utmost respect for him and the way he plays the game."

Faried helped the Eagles out-rebound the Gators 41-36. Florida had out-rebounded its first three opponents by 11.7 per game but managed only 10 offensive rebounds. Faried had seven offensive rebounds himself.

Faried's performance wasn't enough to overcome Erving Walker, Chandler Parsons and Kenny Boynton. Walker scored 16 points and Parsons added 13 and 11 rebounds. The Gators (3-1) also got 10 points from Kenny Boynton, including a pair of 3-pointers in the last six minutes to halt an Eagles rally.

Boynton had missed his first eight shots before making a layup on a fast break with 6:01 to play. He made two of his next three shots, both 3-pointers that extended UF's lead back to double digits.

"I think early on I was trying to find my shot," Boynton said. "I missed the first eight shots and down the road I kind of tried to put it behind me."

Walker added seven assists to go along with just two turnovers for the Gators, who were playing their fourth game in 10 days. His last assist came on Boynton's final 3-pointer with 3:49 to play that extended UF's lead to 58-47.

"Even if he misses eight, 10, whatever, I'm going to keep looking for him," Walker said. "He's a great scorer. I love playing with him and he's a great player. He's got a killer instinct and down the stretch I know he's not going to choke."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303250057
What an impressive when for Florida!
Aslan Wrote:What an impressive when for Florida!

Even if they would have got an impressive win you would had said that the other team was overrated.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Even if they would have got an impressive win you would had said that the other team was overrated.

That's because I hate Florida Big Grin
No offense to MSU because they are a good squad...but Florida is definitely overrated at the moment. They COULD grow into a good team by February, possibly even January but they aren't the #10 team right now.
^

I agree with you, FL right now is not playing like a top 10 team, maybe not even a top 25 team. Florida does have a ton of talent this season though and probably a team you wouldn't want to have to play in March.
Florida always comes into the season with huge expectations but fall short of them.
Way to show up MSU.
Florida is overrated right now and I don't think they should be in the top ten..
They were showing how they had 5-6 players that avg double digits which means nothing so far..
Good showing by MSU! This goes to show that rankings mean nothing in basketball, especially early in the season.
UF's second half was disgraceful lol
Aslan Wrote:What an impressive when for Florida!

Yes, pretty impressive "when" for Florida. Wink