Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calipari: Duke a factor in Elite Eight loss
Calipari suggested Kentucky lost to West Virginia in the Elite Eight last season in part because the Wildcats were looking ahead to Duke in the Final Four.

"Do you know how badly we wanted to play Duke?" Calipari said. "I think that's why we played so badly against West Virginia. We wanted Duke so badly we couldn't see straight."

"I'll be honest," Calipari said. "I really felt we had the best team, not at the beginning (of last season), but at the end. The one thing we were fearful of is that we'd go on a shooting slump, which was the question about our team from Day 1. But we made shots, we willed shots in. And that game, we went 0 for 20 and I kept saying, 'We're going to be alright, and their eyes are like, no we're not.'"
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketbal...eight-loss

So he didn't get out coached it was his players fought, savvy.
He needs to take the blame for the loss and stop making excuses and blaming the players.
[quote=Aslan]Calipari suggested Kentucky lost to West Virginia in the Elite Eight last season in part because the Wildcats were looking ahead to Duke in the Final Four.

"Do you know how badly we wanted to play Duke?" Calipari said. "I think that's why we played so badly against West Virginia. We wanted Duke so badly we couldn't see straight."

"I'll be honest," Calipari said. "I really felt we had the best team, not at the beginning (of last season), but at the end. The one thing we were fearful of is that we'd go on a shooting slump, which was the question about our team from Day 1. But we made shots, we willed shots in. And that game, we went 0 for 20 and I kept saying, 'We're going to be alright, and their eyes are like, no we're not.'"

He needs to take the blame for the loss and stop making excuses and blaming the players.[/QUOTE]
:rockon:
He got outcoached by Huggins big time. I thought I was going to be the first to say it.
hmmm, that's a nice excuse!
Gimme a break
He lost because of bad shooting and bad coaching
Like Cal said, our only question mark coming into the season was our shooting, and it come to bite us in the butt against WVU.

Everyone should know now that Cal loves to stir the pot.
He had no idea how to handle the 1-3-1 that huggie through at hime... So they got beat...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
What was Coach Cal's excuse the other seven times Huggs outcoached him?! What is the record now, 8-1? WVU was better prepared than UK.

WVU out played UK and Huggs out coached Cal....plain and simple.
ImagineThat! Wrote:What was Coach Cal's excuse the other seven times Huggs outcoached him?! What is the record now, 8-1? WVU was better prepared than UK.

WVU out played UK and Huggs out coached Cal....plain and simple.

Agreed. :Thumbs:
play that game 10 times, UK wins 9 of em. they caught us on a down day, and they could throw up anything and it would go in.
blackcatnashland Wrote:play that game 10 times, UK wins 9 of em. they caught us on a down day, and they could throw up anything and it would go in.

You are probably right, but I'm afraid that based on Cal's history, we lose the ONE that is most important.

Everyone knows I'm no Cal fan, but I have to believe that he will eventually get by that one big game to finally put him over the edge, which ultimately wins more championships for UK
Aslan Wrote:Calipari suggested Kentucky lost to West Virginia in the Elite Eight last season in part because the Wildcats were looking ahead to Duke in the Final Four.

He needs to take the blame for the loss and stop making excuses and blaming the players.

:lmao:
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote::lmao:

Uconn beat you at football. Enough Said.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Uconn beat you at football. Enough Said.

:Thumbs:

What are you now, 5? I know you are, but what am I. I'm rubber and you're glue.....lol
Really, is that the best you can come up with?
ImagineThat! Wrote:What are you now, 5? I know you are, but what am I. I'm rubber and you're glue.....lol
Really, is that the best you can come up with?

This has been argued over 2500000000 times. All you can do is laugh at it now, considering once all those football infractions come out it will be the only thing to hang your hat on.

lol.. :biggrin:

dont be mean
well the whole team must had been looking forward because everyone sucked.....if you go 0-20 from behind the arc with the team last you're going to lose against a good team and well WV went to the final four. I just hope the bracket favors us like it did the blue devils last year. poor guys had the easiest road I've ever seen to the championship
beasy_bo Wrote:well the whole team must had been looking forward because everyone sucked.....if you go 0-20 from behind the arc with the team last you're going to lose against a good team and well WV went to the final four. I just hope the bracket favors us like it did the blue devils last year. poor guys had the easiest road I've ever seen to the championship

Kentucky's road to defeat
ETSU - 16 seed
Wake Forest - 9 Seed
Cornell - 12 Seed
WVU(Lost) - 2 seed

Dukes road to Championship
ARPB - 16 Seed
Cal - 8 Seed
Purdue - 4 Seed
Baylor - 3 Seed
WVU - 2 Seed
Butler - 5 Seed

It looks to me that as soon as UK hit a team that knew what they were doing they got dosed.
All you can ask of a team is that they beat who is in front of them.
Whether or not they were in a weak bracket or not.
You still have to play a Final 4 game and a Championship game and they won em all.

Whewwww, good think UK didn't play UConn in football!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:This has been argued over 2500000000 times. All you can do is laugh at it now, considering once all those football infractions come out it will be the only thing to hang your hat on.

This isn't about Coach Stew's bad coaching, it's about Coach Cal's bad coaching.

One day you may accept the fact that the better TEAM and coach won that Elite Eight game....not the most talented individuals and recruiter. I will not and cannot argue that UK had the most talent in the nation, but talent does not always win out.

Really though, it's about the fact that Cal will not man up and admit that he got out-coached. It is up to the coach to make sure that his team does not overlook anyone.
Well will you accept the fact that Coach Cal's team this year would dog stomp WVU's?
Yes, yes you would....
ImagineThat! Wrote:This isn't about Coach Stew's bad coaching, it's about Coach Cal's bad coaching.

One day you may accept the fact that the better TEAM and coach won that Elite Eight game....not the most talented individuals and recruiter. I will not and cannot argue that UK had the most talent in the nation, but talent does not always win out.

Really though, it's about the fact that Cal will not man up and admit that he got out-coached. It is up to the coach to make sure that his team does not overlook anyone.

I don't think anyone, with the acception of a few people that take the "County Roads" to get home, think that WVU was better last year.
Wink
UK's team could have been one of the best teams in college basketball history.
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't think anyone, with the acception of a few people that take the "County Roads" to get home, think that WVU was better last year.
Wink

Don't you mean 'exception'..
But I agree.
Five NBA First Round Draft Picks......and you still LOST!!!!!
^Duke destroyed you.
and made me quite a bit of money in the bracket challenges around here Wink
Ballers Wrote:Don't you mean 'exception'..
But I agree.

I also meant country roads instead of county lol.....
that was a bad one.
ImagineThat! Wrote:This isn't about Coach Stew's bad coaching, it's about Coach Cal's bad coaching.

I don't think anyone, with the exception of a few people that take the "Country Roads" to get home, think that WVU was better last year.

That should be a little betterWink
I don't think it was Coach Calipari's fault. Coach Huggins is just a really good coach. The 1-3-1 defense was a really good defense to run against Kentucky's system of playing offense. Kentucky had a tough game while West Virginia had a great game. For people to say that Coach Calipari isn't a good coach, keep in mind that he only lost 3 games last season, his first season at Kentucky.

Personally, I think Kentucky should've won that game because of the fact that West Virginia's starting point guard was injured. But West Virginia's backup point guard did a really good job. Overall, I think West Virginia won because they just happened to have a really good game that night. Kentucky, on the other hand, just had a tough game.
^ I agree.
I love it when I get to come up the court and see a 1-3-1.
All pure shooters like me have a field day Wink