Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon's crazy new basketball court
[Image: http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv193...ncourt.jpg]
That's crazy looking.

Won't be too much longer before more colleges begin to do things like this.
Yes it is crazy looking.
Why did they do this?
That is ugly
what's the point of this?
It was actually a result of an accidental paint spill. They were painting the top of the Colosseum when the scaffold broke, dumping over 50 gallons of paint on the floor. After it dried, it was too much of an issue to clean, thus they just let it dry in place....

:biggrin:
It looks like they took some tough sand paper to the court.
A different view shows the design better. Its actually a Forrest. The dark area are trees. Symbolic of the Oregon Forests or something.
Per Yahoo.com

In addition to the most uniform combinations and the most luxurious locker rooms of any school in the nation, Oregon will soon be able to lay claim to the country's most original basketball floor.
Oregon officials unveiled the floor of newly built Matthew Knight Arena on Friday, and to say the least the design lives up to the school's reputation for cutting-edge panache and flair. The court is framed on all sides by a forest of fir trees, an homage to the school's picturesque Pacific Northwest setting and to Oregon's 1939 national title team nicknamed "The Tall Firs."
Kilkenny Floor is named after Pat Kilkenny, a long-time supporter of Oregon athletics who served as the school's athletic director from 2007 to 2009 and ran the recent coaching search to replace Ernie Kent. In the center of the floor is the slogan "Deep in the Woods," which is meant to intimidate opposing teams. (Yes, seriously)
Considering Oregon's deep-rooted ties to Nike, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Tinker Hatfield is the designer of the floor. Hatfield, a former Oregon track and field star and vice president of design and special projects for Nike, designed many of the shoes from the famed Air Jordan line.
"When I was asked to work on the new floor for Matthew Knight Arena, I really boiled it down to three things," Hatfield said. "I really wanted to pay tribute to Matthew Knight himself, to the Kilkenny family and lastly but maybe not least, I wanted to pay tribute to the Pacific Northwest and the Tall Firs, the original basketball team that won a national championship for the University of Oregon in 1939."
Like the famed blue "Smurf Turf" at Boise State's football stadium, Oregon's forest floor is meant to be an iconic design that will immediately be recognizable to TV viewers nationwide. The design has already created a buzz, generating stories in local and regional papers and coverage from a variety of blogs.
What has been the reaction from Oregon fans? Based on the comments section from a story on this Ducks-themed site, mostly positive thus far.
Wrote one Oregon fan, "In a word, awesome."
That is absolutely hideous. I don't see how that is even allowed.
I dig that. I think fans usually enjoy when their school has something as unique to the program as this.
Lol looks like it could throw off ones depth perception
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
vundy33 Wrote:I dig that. I think fans usually enjoy when their school has something as unique to the program as this.

Having something unique and having something that sucks are two entirely different things. IMO, this sucks.
that's exotic looking with the trees
It will be hard to tell where the top part of the mens three point line is.
Oregon won the ugliest uniform award, now they're going for the ugliest venue award...
Westside Wrote:Having something unique and having something that sucks are two entirely different things. IMO, this sucks.

lol. Depth perception...haha, I hope we see a player on a fastbreak just trip and fall down out of nowhere.

On another note Westside, how'd you like the EKU receiver's catch being the top play on Sportscenter? That was pretty cool.
I'm not much on this at all.
I don't understand the comments like "how is that allowed" or could throw one's depth perception off" on this forum or on Yahoo. There was even one on Yahoo on how it could give them an advantage over an another team. Whatever.

First of all how is it not allowed is a better question. It breaks no rules on how a court can look. Far as I know as long as you have the correct lines on the court and dimensions you can paint whatever you want on it.

Second who on this forum has ever been messed up by the way a court is painted? Has anyone ever shot a layup from halfcourt because the paint scheme was crazy looking? No.

It may not look good to some, but personally I think it fits them.
The Boise State of basketball!
I am not a fan of this at all, I'm more old fashion and this takes it way to far.
vundy33 Wrote:lol. Depth perception...haha, I hope we see a player on a fastbreak just trip and fall down out of nowhere.

On another note Westside, how'd you like the EKU receiver's catch being the top play on Sportscenter? That was pretty cool.

I loved it. It surprised me, but I thought it was well deserved. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
**** yeah Westside.

I love Oregon's new court, and I don't care what any of you bullies say!! :Sad04:
vundy33 Wrote:**** yeah Westside.

I love Oregon's new court, and I don't care what any of you bullies say!! :Sad04:

LOL!!! :igiveup:
The Court Looks Awesome. Love to see something new.
I like it.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I don't understand the comments like "how is that allowed" or could throw one's depth perception off" on this forum or on Yahoo. There was even one on Yahoo on how it could give them an advantage over an another team. Whatever.

First of all how is it not allowed is a better question. It breaks no rules on how a court can look. Far as I know as long as you have the correct lines on the court and dimensions you can paint whatever you want on it.

Second who on this forum has ever been messed up by the way a court is painted? Has anyone ever shot a layup from halfcourt because the paint scheme was crazy looking? No.

It may not look good to some, but personally I think it fits them.

I dont know anybody on here who has played basketball on trees, or in the middle of them anyways, i would definitely think it would hinder ones ability to tell where the lines are if youve never played on it before, it may be different in person and easy to tell, but from the pics it looks like a nightmare.