Poll: Who Ya Got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Jack Conway
40.00%
Rand Paul
60.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Ya Got Jack Conway vs Rand Paul?
:argue:=====:popcorn: :biggrin:
The answer to medicare is a 2000 dollar deductible.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Well over half of our US Senators are attorneys. What makes you think that a doctor is not qualified to represent the citizens of his state? Do you prefer sending a steady stream of lawyers to Washington who are too busy to even read the 1,000 page bills that lobbyists draft for their signature? Do you honestly believe that our sitting Senators are better qualified to make rational decisions in the national interest than Rand Paul because he is a doctor? Really? Rand Paul is not qualified because he has no track record of contributing to the decline of this great nation?

I guess you misread my post that stated something to the effect of 'neither Paul OR Conway are qualified.'

Bob Seger Wrote:But that is not what you said. Need we go back to the quote?

Who took offense? You made a statement and was kindly asked to explain and yet still refuse to do so. Dont blame it on a perceived lean on this board. Back up what you say, is all that's being asked.

I have explained, at least I explained to where I understood. If you are asking me to defend the Tea Party, that action will not happen. If you are asking me to defend the current parties in Washington, the answer is still no. I believe in the IDEA of the Tea Party, not the shown action. I think that the concept is great. I honestly believe that if modified and stronger candidates were on the ballot, it could work. Maybe the power and heat that the Tea Party has will give it some voting power in Washington, IN WHICH stronger candidates will begin running and the domino effect will change Washington. That is my hope.

Basically, to sum it up. Right now, I don't think ANY of the parties are worth a dime. I DO HOWEVER BELIEVE that the Tea Party has the most potential and the best intentions. Another hope of mine is if the Tea Party does NOT gain a majority of the seats and/or power in Washington eventually, that their concept makes Dems and Reps really examine what they are doing and change for the better. The Tea Party concept should,in the end, make the Reps and Dems change for the better, but it may just be wishful thinking.

If this board is asking me to bow down to the mighty and powerful and perfect Tea Party and it's golden-boy Rand Paul, the answer is no. Do I believe that they have potential, absolutely. One quality that I admire about Paul is that he seems to speak his mind. Many times you see news stories that mention him saying something that isn't PR sensitive, GREAT! That means a candidate finally has a back-bone!

Does that answer your question?
LWC Wrote:I guess you misread my post that stated something to the effect of 'neither Paul OR Conway are qualified.'
No, I did not miss your point at all but you did not answer my question. You cited the fact that Paul is not qualified because he wears a "white coat," a reference to the fact that Paul is a doctor. In Conway's case, you mentioned that his "experience isn't much more relevant."

My question is why do you believe that having experience as a doctor is irrelevant to representing the people of Kentucky? Numerically, attorneys in this country have been over-represented in Congress more than any other group and look at the job that most of them have done. Assuming Rand Paul would have been willing to have read the Obamacare bill, would his input have been less valuable than the views of 57 attorneys, most of whom were to busy to read the bill before voting upon it? Would Rand Paul not have been a valuable asset to the Senate during the hearings that preceded the vote (that is, had the Democrats not written most of the bill behind closed doors)?

Former Majority Leader Bill Frist was a very successful heart surgeon and I believe that he was a fairly competent US Senator. Why do you think that Rand Paul's medical training would be a liability?
LWC Wrote:I guess you misread my post that stated something to the effect of 'neither Paul OR Conway are qualified.'

I have explained, at least I explained to where I understood. If you are asking me to defend the Tea Party, that action will not happen. If you are asking me to defend the current parties in Washington, the answer is still no. I believe in the IDEA of the Tea Party, not the shown action. I think that the concept is great. I honestly believe that if modified and stronger candidates were on the ballot, it could work. Maybe the power and heat that the Tea Party has will give it some voting power in Washington, IN WHICH stronger candidates will begin running and the domino effect will change Washington. That is my hope.

Basically, to sum it up. Right now, I don't think ANY of the parties are worth a dime. I DO HOWEVER BELIEVE that the Tea Party has the most potential and the best intentions. Another hope of mine is if the Tea Party does NOT gain a majority of the seats and/or power in Washington eventually, that their concept makes Dems and Reps really examine what they are doing and change for the better. The Tea Party concept should,in the end, make the Reps and Dems change for the better, but it may just be wishful thinking.

If this board is asking me to bow down to the mighty and powerful and perfect Tea Party and it's golden-boy Rand Paul, the answer is no. Do I believe that they have potential, absolutely. One quality that I admire about Paul is that he seems to speak his mind. Many times you see news stories that mention him saying something that isn't PR sensitive, GREAT! That means a candidate finally has a back-bone!

Does that answer your question?

LOL, well to be honest, you have not answered one solitary thing of what you could define as a crazy individual or a ridiculous act. All you are doing is Texas Two-stepping around the question. You sure you're not running for an office yourself? Sounds just like a polititians typical reply.lol

Who is asking you to bow down to anyone? I'm certainly not trying to change your mind on anything. Your entitled to your opinion on anything you wish to state an opinion on. That's no big deal at all. You're the one that said the Tea Party was full of crazy and ridiculous people. Was just asking for one single example. Oh well, so much for wasted time. It's obvious that you either wont or cant answer the question. Have a good day senator.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, I did not miss your point at all but you did not answer my question. You cited the fact that Paul is not qualified because he wears a "white coat," a reference to the fact that Paul is a doctor. In Conway's case, you mentioned that his "experience isn't much more relevant."

My question is why do you believe that having experience as a doctor is irrelevant to representing the people of Kentucky? Numerically, attorneys in this country have been over-represented in Congress more than any other group and look at the job that most of them have done. Assuming Rand Paul would have been willing to have read the Obamacare bill, would his input have been less valuable than the views of 57 attorneys, most of whom were to busy to read the bill before voting upon it? Would Rand Paul not have been a valuable asset to the Senate during the hearings that preceded the vote (that is, had the Democrats not written most of the bill behind closed doors)?

Former Majority Leader Bill Frist was a very successful heart surgeon and I believe that he was a fairly competent US Senator. Why do you think that Rand Paul's medical training would be a liability?
lol... Good luck Hoot, but I dont think you're going to get an answer to yours either. At least one that makes sense anyways.
Bob Seger Wrote:lol... Good luck Hoot, but I dont think you're going to get an answer to yours either. At least one that makes sense anyways.
:biggrin: I am just happy whenever another liberal or moderate (there may still be such a thing as a moderate Democrat but I have not seen one lately) wanders into this forum. I have been following the political horse races across the country pretty closely, but LCW is right about not taking time to read platforms, political promises, etc.

I am looking for bold candidates who have a record of real accomplishment, whether it is in the private or public sector. Vague political promises made by candidates with no track record of intelligent risk taking do not interest me.

What Kentucky needs most is a governor like Chris Christie. There is no need to wait until the state is in as bad of shape as New Jersey before electing somebody to fix a mess - and Kentucky's state government is a mess.

Regardless of whom Kentucky sends to Washington, the federal government cannot fix what ails the state.
How about you guys give me an EXAMPLE of a way to answer your question. And you cannot give an example like, "I said that because I hate the Tea Party."

I am serious, because I do not know how to answer it. You asked for an answer, and I gave two websites full of public record, to where you can view every public statement made by a Tea Party member. You can decide if something is crazy or not.

The Experience that I want out of a US Senator is that they have experience in some type of government. Preferrably in the State Senate before they try the US Senate. Am I saying that he can't be successful, NO! Am I saying that I would like for one of the candidates to have actually cast a Kentucky Congressional ballot before running for US Senate, yeah! Is that realistic? Probably not, would it be nice, absolutely.
LWC Wrote:How about you guys give me an EXAMPLE of a way to answer your question. And you cannot give an example like, "I said that because I hate the Tea Party."

I am serious, because I do not know how to answer it. You asked for an answer, and I gave two websites full of public record, to where you can view every public statement made by a Tea Party member. You can decide if something is crazy or not.
The Experience that I want out of a US Senator is that they have experience in some type of government. Preferrably in the State Senate before they try the US Senate. Am I saying that he can't be successful, NO! Am I saying that I would like for one of the candidates to have actually cast a Kentucky Congressional ballot before running for US Senate, yeah! Is that realistic? Probably not, would it be nice, absolutely.

I DID NOT SAY THEY ARE CRAZY OR RIDICULOUS. YOU DID!!!! :HitWall::HitWall::HitWall:

Sheesh LWC, why is that so hard for you to comprehend? It is not for me to look up anything and decide anything for myself. It is up to you to provide your explanation. You said it (not me), I asked that you provide an example.

Lets just tell it like it is. It is becoming more and more apparent that you did not have the first clue on anything that you were talking about while spouting off.

I certainly hope that you are more competent while serving in the pulpit. I hope that one day while preaching a sermon that someone does not ask you for scripture to back up the content of one of your messages. I suspect he may receive the same sort of wishy washy jib jab that you are displaying in this forum.

Tell you what LWC, just dont even bother with a response. It's not worth the effort, as I could care less anymore.. You have certainly diminished your reputation with the manner in which you have handled yourself in this thread, on this subject. Perhaps the political arena is just not your thang?
Rand Paul...give him a chance!
Bob Seger Wrote:I DID NOT SAY THEY ARE CRAZY OR RIDICULOUS. YOU DID!!!! :HitWall::HitWall::HitWall:

Sheesh LWC, why is that so hard for you to comprehend? It is not for me to look up anything and decide anything for myself. It is up to you to provide your explanation. You said it (not me), I asked that you provide an example.

Lets just tell it like it is. It is becoming more and more apparent that you did not have the first clue on anything that you were talking about while spouting off.

I certainly hope that you are more competent while serving in the pulpit. I hope that one day while preaching a sermon that someone does not ask you for scripture to back up the content of one of your messages. I suspect he may receive the same sort of wishy washy jib jab that you are displaying in this forum.

Tell you what LWC, just dont even bother with a response. It's not worth the effort, as I could care less anymore.. You have certainly diminished your reputation with the manner in which you have handled yourself in this thread, on this subject. Perhaps the political arena is just not your thang?

Oh such hostility! :biggrin: Calm down, you will make your stress-levels rise. All I asked for is a example of an answer you were looking for. Are you wanting me to go to the website that I provided and pull out a public comment by a Tea Party supporter and post it here? I figured that it would be much easier just to provide the site and let members look for themselves. Is that so wrong?

Tell me if I am wrong, you are wanting me to post something that I THINK that the Tea Party has said that is crazy. Is that what you want? At this point, 30+ posts later, I am seriously confused.
For Bob Seger:

"I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." —Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, floating the possibility of armed insurrection in a radio interview, Jan. 2010

Tea Party candidate Ken Buck, after being asked why people should vote for him for the Colorado GOP Senate nomination: ''Because I do not wear high heels. She has questioned my manhood, and I think it's fair to respond. I have cowboy boots, they have real bullsh*t on them. And that's Weld County bullsh*t, not Washington, D.C., bullsh*t.'' Buck was referring to an ad run by his opponent, which decried third-party spending on behalf of his campaign and urged Buck to ''be man enough'' to run the ads himself (July 21, 2010)

"People ask me, 'What are you going to do to develop jobs in your state?' Well, that's not my job as a U.S. senator." —Sharron Angle, May 14, 2010

"We needed to have the press be our friend ... We wanted them to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported." —Sharron Angle, during an interview with Fox News Channel's Carl Cameron, Aug. 2, 2010

Those are just a few. Big Grin I am not saying that all of them don't have valid points, I like the point of one or two of them, but the quotes are crazy! :lmao:
Here is one more:

''If you're oriented toward animals, bestiality, then, you know, that's not something that can be used, held against you or any bias be held against you for that. Which means you'd have to strike any laws against bestiality, if you're oriented toward corpses, toward children, you know, there are all kinds of perversions ... pedophiles or necrophiliacs or what most would say is perverse sexual orientations.''
—Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX), member of the Tea Party Caucus, arguing that a hate crimes bill passed by Congress would lead to Nazism and legalization of necrophilia, pedophilia, and bestiality, Oct. 6, 2009

After I answered the question, this is my last post on this. I really do like this forum and think it is a great place to have discussions and debates.

I am not really political whatsoever. I can honestly admit that I haven't watched CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC or any of the Comedy Central anchors, in forever. I barely catch the local news once every two weeks.

I gave up on politics whenever I learned that there is no such thing as a party that thinks economically liberal and socially conservative. Let's have a cry party for LWC Sad
See, now was that so hard to do? :Clap:

I was not trying to get you to change your mind, agree with any one else , or condone anything about the Tea Party, or any of the such. Just wondering where your statement was coming from.
I attended the Paul vs Conway debate at NKU last night. Both of them had some bright moments and some not so bright moments. Conway comes across like one would expect of an attorny: an almost plastic figurine. When he showed some emotion, if you will, it was almost condescending. Paul at times was almost flippant and disrespectful towards Conway.

I went into the debate favoring Paul and came out that way. Nothing Conway said gave me any reason to believe that he won't be another professional politician interested in being in DC for a long time. Those types scare me because their focus can become more oriented on getting re-elected than doing what is best.

Conway on multiple occasions said he was best for Kentucky and Paul was only interested in cutting taxes and eliminating programs that helped Kentuckians. Paul never said it, but I really hoping that he'd respond to all Conway's mentions of "he's for Kentucky" with a simple: "Sure you are for Kentucky just like Pelosi is for California, Reid is for Nevada and Byrd was for WV". In my opinion, we desperately now need Senators and Congressmen/women who are willing to take the heat with their constitutients to do the best thing for the country. If this country can improve, the State of Kentucky will improve. All ships rise on an incoming tide. Continuing to increase the deficit and raise taxes so there is more money to bring home as pork to Kentucky will be a short term help for Kentucky, but it will hurt this country and thus hurt Kentucky down the road when our economy is a shell and we are on the path of Greece. That's not helping Kentucky; that selling out the future of our kids and grandkids to make promises to folks today in order to get elected.

Heck, I'd be willing to pay more taxes and pay for part of my Medicare in the future (yes Jack, even pay $2,000), if I became convinced that it was done so to dramatically reduce the deficit and that the ridiculous federal spending was controlled. I'm not willing to do it however, if that just means more pork for the members of Congress to take home to the districts to help them get re-elected. I'll gladly make sacrifices and pay more as long as there is fiscal retraint shown.

Conway kept saying that Paul was going to balance the budget on the backs of our senior citizens. I guess his approach is to be able to provide programs and pork that will be placed on the backs of our children and grandchildren. Paul needs to emphasize that at some point we will have to pay the piper and ask those senior citizens whether they'd rather feel the pain or pass the pain to their children and grandchildren in the future.

There was no doubt that Conway was the slicker, more accomplished public speaker of the two. We elected one smooth talking lawyer to the White House a couple of years ago. I hope Kentuckians are smart enough not to repeat that in this election, but we'll see soon enough.
^^Excellent and informative post Charlie. Thanks for the update. I watched the candidates debate on Fox and took from it about exactly what you did from the debate you watched. I still think Paul wins.
:redboxer::popcorn::popcorn::biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I will support Rand Paul. I am committed to voting as far away from the "establishment" as I can even if it means voting for quirky or offbeat candidate. Conway sounds like he fits right in with the establishment...Just where has the "establishment" on both sides gotten us?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I will support Rand Paul. I am committed to voting as far away from the "establishment" as I can even if it means voting for quirky or offbeat candidate. Conway sounds like he fits right in with the establishment...Just where has the "establishment" on both sides gotten us?
Welcome to the forum, Skinnypig. As long as the anti-establishment candidates are not Democrats, I am with you. I would like to see more non-lawyers like Rand Paul elected to office to keep establishment Republicans from thinking that the upcoming election has anything to do with their record.

I like no-nonsense, no-compromise conservatives and there are just too few of them serving in public office. The go along to get along Republicans almost destroyed the party and it is a shame that it has taken such horribly misguided Democrats like Reid, Pelosi, and Obama to save the Republican Party as the lesser of two evils. I want a choice between the greater of two goods for a change.
Pretty simple for me here..I will never cast a vote for a Democrat outside of a local city/county election for the rest of my life. On a state and national level, it might as well be as simple as pulling one lever (or checking one box, however your machine works)..Although Im a conservative libertarian, my main agenda is to derail the Dems and any chance they may have at any state or national power..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Pretty simple for me here..I will never cast a vote for a Democrat outside of a local city/county election for the rest of my life. On a state and national level, it might as well be as simple as pulling one lever (or checking one box, however your machine works)..Although Im a conservative libertarian, my main agenda is to derail the Dems and any chance they may have at any state or national power..
That is very close to my political philosophy. Although I have not ruled out ever voting for a Democrat on the state level, I cannot recall the last time that I voted that way.

The last Democrat that I recall voting for was running against Hal Rogers and I knew that Rogers had the election in the bag anyway. I hate it when Republicans campaign just like Democrats and brag to me about how much pork they have brought home from Washington - using money that should have never left the state. However, after seeing the first four Clinton years, I also swore that I would never again vote for a Democrat in a national election. Life is too short for such avoidable regrets.

Conservative libertarian is how I usually describe myself, TideHoss. I think it fits the majority of the active posters in this forum as well.
Has anyone heard that they are gonna take our federal and state tax from us and throw it in their pocket come income tax time? I heard that Ran Paul was a big supporter of that idea. If that is the case, he's sure not getting my **** vote.
Ballers Wrote:Has anyone heard that they are gonna take our federal and state tax from us and throw it in their pocket come income tax time? I heard that Ran Paul was a big supporter of that idea. If that is the case, he's sure not getting my **** vote.
It sounds like you have Rand Paul mixed up with some Democrat. Ron Paul is a libertarian, not a liberal. Libertarians stand for small government and lower taxes. He is among the last people running for national office that you need to worry about reaching deeper into your pockets.
Ballers Wrote:Has anyone heard that they are gonna take our federal and state tax from us and throw it in their pocket come income tax time? I heard that Ran Paul was a big supporter of that idea. If that is the case, he's sure not getting my **** vote.

I'm not going to be as nice as Hoot. Dems count on people like you who are the most uninformed people on the planet to keep their power.
I can't believe you idiots are gonna vote for a charlatan like Rand Paul! Unbelieveable!
Didnt you hear that Jack Conway sacrifices babies! Rand Paul Loves Babies!
^^^Not that you need another reason to vote for Rand Paul...
DevilsWin Wrote:I can't believe you idiots are gonna vote for a charlatan like Rand Paul! Unbelieveable!
...says an avid supporter of Pelosi, Reid, and Obama. Unbelievable is right.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:...says an avid supporter of Pelosi, Reid, and Obama. Unbelievable is right.
You won't find a single thread or post in which I say I support Pelosi or Reid. In fact Im glad I don't have to vote in their states, lol.
Rand Paul is for term limits, how damaging do you think that would be to Kentuckians?