Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I am just wondering as to who the Football Players from Paintsville and Johnson Central where that played in D1. I know just a few, but honestly have no idea of the scope. Help?
I can't think of any from Johnson Central. Paul Webb had the talent but I believe was a non-qualifier academically and was supposed to "gray shirt" at UK. Tony Mayes and Joey Couch were probably the best D1 football players that Paintsville has produced. Both were outstanding high school players and both were starters for UK.

However, some of their best players were better in other sports. David Lemaster was a great football player but he was an even better baseball player, so he signed with Clemson and was the starting catcher for an NCAA championship team.

Before that, Johnny Lemaster was an all state player in football but he was also the sixth player drafted overall in the major league draft, so I believe that he played 12 years in the majors. Lemaster was the Tigers' quarterback his junior year and moved to wide receiver his senior season. Lemaster starred in every sport that Paintsville offered. I remember him running track and coming to baseball games late. He also golfed and played basketball.

The multi-sport athlete used to be the rule at Paintsville and I think that too much specialization has hurt the football program.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I don't think JC has ever had a D1 football player (but there has been plenty of players who have recieved scholarships and offers). But I could be wrong... I have been before.

As far as Paintsville goes.... Redneck might be able to answer that one.

I can give ya one for JCHS-Chris Deaton Marshall I think they are D1 ?As to Paintsville let's see,U.K.-Gene Cyrus,Mike Minnix,Basil Mullins,John Porter,Tony Mays, andJoey Couch. Vanderbilt-Jim Brugh. Morehead-(Ithink they were D1 when these guys played)B.J. Ward,Mike Brugh and I think a Stafford (Tiger) played there also. Citadel-Walter Brugh. I can think of a bunch in other classes but that's all I can come up withe right now.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I've been reading some of the posts on here... and the memories are replaying in my head.

The 2003 Apple Bowl (Paintsville won 20-13) was possibly the worst football game I have ever seen. I'm serious, it was awful. Then in 2004, JC beat Paintsville like they owed us money. In 2005, JC won BIG, but wymt did a post-game interview Matney and he said something that I would love to have a copy of "The days of pushing Johnson Central around on the football field are over!" The 2006 Apple Bowl, Paintsville got what they had coming to them, somebody made a very offensive top 10 list about a starting player who has life a little harder than the rest of us, the score could have been 100-0 if Matney wanted it to be.

I could go on like this forever.... like in 2002, JC had Paintsville down 12-0 at halftime, but Paintsville came back to win 45-30. (that game still makes me sick)

I agree that 03 bowl game was terrible. Both schools were really bad that season from what I remember
Superman20 Wrote:Your right. I can agree that JC should beat paintsville every year because of the numbers. JC has done everything right in their coaching hires. Used to, paintsville had better coaching in almost every sport. Since Bill Mike retired, and Burrhead resigned that hasn't been the case. Like I have said on here before, the schools have completely flip flopped. It's all Paintsville's administrations fault, and in the past it was Jc's fault. Atleast when JC tried to replace musick, they went after coaches that actually had coaching experience, instead of what PHS did by giving the job to a man with one years experience. lol
I personally liked Coach Humphrey and he did have experience. His team was probably in better physical condition than any team that JC has ever had. My sons thought the world of the man but his offense was ridiculously complex and he just was not head coach material, IMO.

On the other hand, Coach Ross' teams were probably the most poorly conditioned team every to play at JC. He told his players that he did not believe in extra conditioning and that they would play themselves into shape. I don't remember whether it was Ross' first or second year, but JC lost one game against Paintsville after dominating the first half. Most of the JC players were exhausted before halftime because they were so out of shape. Paintsville dominated the second half and won going away. (Ryan Brown stripped the ball from an exhausted JC running back and returned the fumble for a long touchdown.)

A 1A football team should never be able to physically wear out a 5A team but that is exactly what happened. Johnson Central's linemen were gasping for air before the end of the first quarter and that was their coach's fault.
Superman20 Wrote:I know Paul signed a letter of intent to UK, and Chris Deaton played at Marshall. About the only two I can think of. Seems like Mike Bowlin when he was the fullback at JC had a few small D1 schools look at him. Thats all i can remember from JC. As far as paintsville, Joey Couch is the only one other then Ryan that I can think of
I think Bowlin elected not to play to pursue a career as a doctor, unless I am confusing him with another JC fullback who played within a few years of him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I think Bowlin elected not to play to pursue a career as a doctor, unless I am confusing him with another JC fullback who played within a few years of him.

Your right, thats him. He played in 98 and was one heck of a football player. If im not mistaken Stanford was looking at him to play ball, and I think UK was too.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I personally liked Coach Humphrey and he did have experience. His team was probably in better physical condition than any team that JC has ever had. My sons thought the world of the man but his offense was ridiculously complex and he just was not head coach material, IMO.

On the other hand, Coach Ross' teams were probably the most poorly conditioned team every to play at JC. He told his players that he did not believe in extra conditioning and that they would play themselves into shape. I don't remember whether it was Ross' first or second year, but JC lost one game against Paintsville after dominating the first half. Most of the JC players were exhausted before halftime because they were so out of shape. Paintsville dominated the second half and won going away. (Ryan Brown stripped the ball from an exhausted JC running back and returned the fumble for a long touchdown.)

A 1A football team should never be able to physically wear out a 5A team but that is exactly what happened. Johnson Central's linemen were gasping for air before the end of the first quarter and that was their coach's fault.

From what I remember, Humphery wanted to run a style of offense that he needed more over all team speed to run. If he would have run the wishbone belly offense he would have been a lot more successful. That team was suited perfect for that, and If Musick would have stayed they would have been a lot more successful. Ole Musick wasn't that great at coaching as far as x's and o's went, but he was a heck of a motivator and his teams were always in good shape.
Superman20 Wrote:From what I remember, Humphery wanted to run a style of offense that he needed more over all team speed to run. If he would have run the wishbone belly offense he would have been a lot more successful. That team was suited perfect for that, and If Musick would have stayed they would have been a lot more successful. Ole Musick wasn't that great at coaching as far as x's and o's went, but he was a heck of a motivator and his teams were always in good shape.
Under Humphrey, one of my sons noticed that every time that JC called a particular play that they thought would work great against Sheldon Clark, the Cardinals seemed to anticipate the play and stopped it for big losses. Matney later told my son that he noticed on the JC films that they only ran one play out of a particular formation, so his players knew to shift the defense immediately when they saw the formation. My son confirmed that they only had a single play in their playbook for the formation.

Johnson Central should have easily beaten the Cardinals that season and by halftime, everybody in the stadium knew that they had no chance. I think that was the game that sealed Coach Humphrey's fate. If the game had been scheduled early in the season, I think JC would have won easily. Instead, players, coaches, and parents all began playing the blame game and Humphrey's days were numbered at JC.

Matney's teams always improve steadily over the course of a season. During the three years between Musick and Humphrey, I honestly believe that Johnson Central was better each season in its first game than it was in its last game. They looked great in scrimmages against teams like Belfry and Holmes but everything headed downhill once the season started.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Under Humphrey, one of my sons noticed that every time that JC called a particular play that they thought would work great against Sheldon Clark, the Cardinals seemed to anticipate the play and stopped it for big losses. Matney later told my son that he noticed on the JC films that they only ran one play out of a particular formation, so his players knew to shift the defense immediately when they saw the formation. My son confirmed that they only had a single play in their playbook for the formation.

Johnson Central should have easily beaten the Cardinals that season and by halftime, everybody in the stadium knew that they had no chance. I think that was the game that sealed Coach Humphrey's fate. If the game had been scheduled early in the season, I think JC would have won easily. Instead, players, coaches, and parents all began playing the blame game and Humphrey's days were numbered at JC.

Matney's teams always improve steadily over the course of a season. During the three years between Musick and Humphrey, I honestly believe that Johnson Central was better each season in its first game than it was in its last game. They looked great in scrimmages against teams like Belfry and Holmes but everything headed downhill once the season started.

I didn't know that Humphery only ran one play from each formation. I can remember SC having a down year that season and beating JC. I honestly think before Matney retires, he will win a state championship or atleast take JC to the carpet. So far he's had the second best team in 5a on 2 or 3 occasions. That team with Ian Welch and chase richardson was one heck of a football team.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am just responding to the Paintsville posters who claim repeatedly that Paintsville's past success had nothing to do with out of district players. It did.

Do I blame their parents or the players for not playing for Johnson Central? Not one bit. In fact, I believe that parents should be able to enroll their kids in the school of their choice regardless of where they choose to live and regardless of whether they change their residence.

But all of us who are familiar with Johnson Central and Paintsville know that there have been kids playing across district lines throughout the history of the schools. Sometimes out of district players helped Paintsville more and sometimes JC was the benefiiciary. Right now, most county kids - particularly the ones best suited for football - are staying home and playing for Johnson Central. Even if that was not the case, JC has a large enough enrollment to absorb the loss of a few good players better than a Class A school like Paintsville can.

If Matney had taken the position at JC three years earlier, as he almost did, the Apple Bowl would have ended sooner. I for one wish that he had done so. Central's players deserved a better high school football experience than what they got under Bill Musick's first two successors.

Nobody has ever said that. You and everybody else from over there try to say that Paintsville's success in the past had to do with players TRANSFERRING from the county, which is NOT the case. Yea we've had a lot of players who lived outside of town, BUT they went to Paintsville their entire life, just like their parents did. Nobody has ever said that all of our players lived in the city.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Superman20 Wrote:I didn't know that Humphery only ran one play from each formation. I can remember SC having a down year that season and beating JC. I honestly think before Matney retires, he will win a state championship or atleast take JC to the carpet. So far he's had the second best team in 5a on 2 or 3 occasions. That team with Ian Welch and chase richardson was one heck of a football team.
Humphrey ran more than one play per formation. But against Matney, he thought one play would work well for JC and they kept running it for big losses before finally giving up on it. I don't think Humphrey realized how predictable the play was. I just mentioned it as an example of Matney's attention to detail. The2006 team that lost to Covington Catholic in a game where Blake Johnson went out in the third quarter with an injury was also an outstanding team - I think their best so far. They had some pretty good teams under Musick but their regular season schedule was not as tough as it is now, so it is difficult to compare the two eras.

I can remember watching some really good Paintsville teams over the years as well. Back when Lynch was a state power, the Tigers usually gave them all they wanted for a half - which was quite an accomplishment against those teams. Lynch was big, fast, and deep in its heyday and it was a big game on the Tigers' schedule. It always drew a large crowd.

The team that had David Lemaster at quarterback was another Tiger team that I really enjoyed watching. He was as good an option quarterback as I have ever seen and he had a cannon of an arm. Paintsville has never passed a lot but they have had some quarterbacks capable of throwing and some fine receivers as well.

When I say that JC has always had talent, I should probably be more clear. JC has always had lots of athletic kids who had the potential to be great football players. However, some of those guys never played a minute on any organized team and their potential was never realized. It takes coaching and participation to develop talent, and for years Paintsville had a big edge in that
area.
Redneck Wrote:Nobody has ever said that. You and everybody else from over there try to say that Paintsville's success in the past had to do with players TRANSFERRING from the county, which is NOT the case. Yea we've had a lot of players who lived outside of town, BUT they went to Paintsville their entire life, just like their parents did. Nobody has ever said that all of our players lived in the city.
Paintsville has benefited from transfers more in the past than Johnson Central has. I have never claimed that it was the only factor in Paintsville's success against JC, only that it has been A factor.

With Matney coaching at Johnson Central, do you think the number of kids enrolling to play football at Paintsville has increased or decreased? Do you think that the number of kids attending JCMS who play football and then transfer to Paintsville to play high school football has increased or decreased? Do you think the number of disgruntled Johnson Central football players who have left the school to play for Paintsville has increased or decreased since Matney began coaching?

If you admit the obvious, which is Matney's hiring has resulted in more county kids playing in their home district, then you must also acknowledge that transfers have played some role in the Tigers' past success. At least admit that they have added some depth to some of Paintsville's teams.

The fact that JCMS has won more state championships in academic competition than any other middle school in the state has also played a roll in fewer kids paying tuition to play football for Paintsville. Paintsville used to have a big edge in academics, but that is no longer the case and that has helped Johnson Central's athletic programs.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Humphrey ran more than one play per formation. But against Matney, he thought one play would work well for JC and they kept running it for big losses before finally giving up on it. I don't think Humphrey realized how predictable the play was. I just mentioned it as an example of Matney's attention to detail. The2006 team that lost to Covington Catholic in a game where Blake Johnson went out in the third quarter with an injury was also an outstanding team - I think their best so far. They had some pretty good teams under Musick but their regular season schedule was not as tough as it is now, so it is difficult to compare the two eras.

I can remember watching some really good Paintsville teams over the years as well. Back when Lynch was a state power, the Tigers usually gave them all they wanted for a half - which was quite an accomplishment against those teams. Lynch was big, fast, and deep in its heyday and it was a big game on the Tigers' schedule. It always drew a large crowd.

The team that had David Lemaster at quarterback was another Tiger team that I really enjoyed watching. He was as good an option quarterback as I have ever seen and he had a cannon of an arm. Paintsville has never passed a lot but they have had some quarterbacks capable of throwing and some fine receivers as well.

When I say that JC has always had talent, I should probably be more clear. JC has always had lots of athletic kids who had the potential to be great football players. However, some of those guys never played a minute on any organized team and their potential was never realized. It takes coaching and participation to develop talent, and for years Paintsville had a big edge in that
area.

Jc's always had good athletes in that school system and I think it's great that Matney's brought so much excitement to that program. Jc's admin. has done an excellent job with the coaching hires that they have made. When times were rough for JC's football program, they went out and made the best coaching hire that they could have made. If the admin. at Paintsville had any sense they would realize that they have made a bad decision and would look to find the right fit before it's to late. I compare it to Uk and Billy Gilliespie. Barnhart knew they messed up and instead of dragging it out, they went and made a homerun hire. More like a grand slam hire, which is kind of like what JC done 7 years ago. At phs the excitement is gone, they gambled on a young coach with really no coaching experience, the coach runs off any good assistants that he gets if they disagree with him or have more experience, qualified alumni that could help him wont (two phs alum coach at JC), and I can list a lot of other things but I wont. The tables have turned and phs is losing talent to the county system because they want to play in that great football atmosphere. Games at JC are always packed regardless of who they play and thats a great thing for this area.
Today (Friday) was the first day of Apple Day..... I saw very few JC/Paintsville t-shirts. There was some middle school kids from both sides wearing some school shirts, but I did see some school staff from both sides wearing JC/P-ville shirts.

However, it just didn't feel like the "Apple Day" I'm used to.
No Apple Bowl
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You are right. I had a son who started as a freshman on that 10-0 team.

I didn't know there was a freshman to start on the 2000 team?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Paintsville has benefited from transfers more in the past than Johnson Central has. I have never claimed that it was the only factor in Paintsville's success against JC, only that it has been A factor.

With Matney coaching at Johnson Central, do you think the number of kids enrolling to play football at Paintsville has increased or decreased? Do you think that the number of kids attending JCMS who play football and then transfer to Paintsville to play high school football has increased or decreased? Do you think the number of disgruntled Johnson Central football players who have left the school to play for Paintsville has increased or decreased since Matney began coaching?

If you admit the obvious, which is Matney's hiring has resulted in more county kids playing in their home district, then you must also acknowledge that transfers have played some role in the Tigers' past success. At least admit that they have added some depth to some of Paintsville's teams.

The fact that JCMS has won more state championships in academic competition than any other middle school in the state has also played a roll in fewer kids paying tuition to play football for Paintsville. Paintsville used to have a big edge in academics, but that is no longer the case and that has helped Johnson Central's athletic programs.

:zzz: You are in dream land dude, just go back to sleep. Not much has changed since Matney took over at JC other than he has the numbers up and is blessed with alot of talent. And since you keep bringin up transfers and out of district players, lets talk about JC. I'm not gonna deny that Paintsville has had some ROLE players that transferred over, but what about JC and the STAR players they have had and still have who transferred in since Matney took over. Let's think about it, Blake Johnson was a transfer, was a STAR LB and FB, Nathaniel Dials was a STAR on the JC defense, DJ Ousley (who lives in Pburg, I'm sure Pburg wishes he woulda stayed at home and played) is a STAR on JC's defense, JJ Jude is THE STAR on JC's offense and plays defense.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I didn't know there was a freshman to start on the 2000 team?

I'm still scratchin my head over that one too. Only one I can think of would have been Chat Yates, and I wouldn't say he started, unless you count bein on the kick-return.
Redneck Wrote::zzz: You are in dream land dude, just go back to sleep. Not much has changed since Matney took over at JC other than he has the numbers up and is blessed with alot of talent. And since you keep bringin up transfers and out of district players, lets talk about JC. I'm not gonna deny that Paintsville has had some ROLE players that transferred over, but what about JC and the STAR players they have had and still have who transferred in since Matney took over. Let's think about it, Blake Johnson was a transfer, was a STAR LB and FB, Nathaniel Dials was a STAR on the JC defense, DJ Ousley (who lives in Pburg, I'm sure Pburg wishes he woulda stayed at home and played) is a STAR on JC's defense, JJ Jude is THE STAR on JC's offense and plays defense.
I have never falsely claimed that transfers have not played a role in the success of the team that I support. So, is this one of those, "I know I am but what about you?" type of arguments? In other words, by pointing out the obvious fact that transfers have played and have contribute to Johnson Central's success, are you conceding that the statements that I made about transfers contributing to Paintsville's past success, were in fact correct? If so, which of my statements are you really taking issue with?

Thank you....and by the way, was Joey Couch a transfer and if so, was he one of those role players that you now acknowledge played for Paintsville?
Redneck Wrote:I'm still scratchin my head over that one too. Only one I can think of would have been Chat Yates, and I wouldn't say he started, unless you count bein on the kick-return.
I stand corrected. My math was off. He was a sophomore that season.
Redneck Wrote::zzz: You are in dream land dude, just go back to sleep. Not much has changed since Matney took over at JC other than he has the numbers up and is blessed with alot of talent. And since you keep bringin up transfers and out of district players, lets talk about JC. I'm not gonna deny that Paintsville has had some ROLE players that transferred over, but what about JC and the STAR players they have had and still have who transferred in since Matney took over. Let's think about it, Blake Johnson was a transfer, was a STAR LB and FB, Nathaniel Dials was a STAR on the JC defense, DJ Ousley (who lives in Pburg, I'm sure Pburg wishes he woulda stayed at home and played) is a STAR on JC's defense, JJ Jude is THE STAR on JC's offense and plays defense.

DreamLand???? Perhaps you would like to talk about the last competetive team that Paintsville has had. The 2006 regional runner up team's starters from the county system was comprised of Kyle Sublett, Wes Ward, Hans Dodderer, Adam Cummins, and the Blevins kid. And there is one more that I am forgetting. Thats the entire backfield (minus Pugh) and 2 thirds of the linebacker corps that came from Johnson Central. That's over one half of the starting lineup if my math is correct. There were enough of those players from the county system that you could have called that team Johnson Central East. If Matney would have been at JC when they made the move, there would not have been one single kid transfer.. How good would Paintsville had been without any of those kids? Other than Pugh, those were Paintsville's studs.
Bob Seger Wrote:DreamLand???? Perhaps you would like to talk about the last competetive team that Paintsville has had. The 2006 regional runner up team's starters from the county system was comprised of Kyle Sublett, Wes Ward, Hans Dodderer, Adam Cummins, and the Blevins kid. And there is one more that I am forgetting. Thats the entire backfield (minus Pugh) and 2 thirds of the linebacker corps that came from Johnson Central. That's over one half of the starting lineup if my math is correct. There were enough of those players from the county system that you could have called that team Johnson Central East. If Matney would have been at JC when they made the move, there would not have been one single kid transfer.. How good would Paintsville had been without any of those kids? Other than Pugh, those were Paintsville's studs.

Thats ONE team, dang buddy, you all act like and try to make it sound like the only reason ANY Paintsville team has had any success in the past is because kids from JC transferred over and played. ONE TEAM, WOW, I bet it didn't take ya long to research that. Hans played at Paintsville all thru grade school, so you can't really say that he came from the county. Played for the city in Elem, played for the county in middle school, played for the city in high school. When did Adam Cummings ever attend the county school system, I know he lived in Cross Creek, but when did he ever attend a county school. Matt Blevins went to Paintsville because his older brother played at Paintsville, can't fault the kid for that. He wouldn't have even played at JC had he stayed, and that had nothing to do with coaching, I would know, he's my first cousin.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:...

Of all the reasons JCHS gets more of the county kids to stay in-system, this must be the least important of them.

Academic teams are a small group of students who devote a LOT of time to select subject matter for use in competitions (and the amount of time devoted is WAYYY greater than any sports team. I admire the kids who do that, though I wouldn't ask it of mine. IMO, it's TOO much). But, it has little to do with what all students are taught in the classroom.

Paintsville's edge in academics is still "big", as evidenced by the last state test scores. Central's have improved over the years (except for this past year), but the disparity was huge at the beginning.
oneijoe Wrote:Of all the reasons JCHS gets more of the county kids to stay in-system, this must be the least important of them.

Academic teams are a small group of students who devote a LOT of time to select subject matter for use in competitions (and the amount of time devoted is WAYYY greater than any sports team. I admire the kids who do that, though I wouldn't ask it of mine. IMO, it's TOO much). But, it has little to do with what all students are taught in the classroom.

Paintsville's edge in academics is still "big", as evidenced by the last state test scores. Central's have improved over the years (except for this past year), but the disparity was huge at the beginning.
I never said that the number of academic trophies is why kids stay in the Johnson County system but those trophies have been the result of some of the best classroom teachers in the state working long hours to overcome some overwhelming odds. As for those trophies being the result of a relatively small number of students, the same can be said of trophies won in athletic competition - and parents do choose schools because of sports programs.

The academic team at JCMS was a big factor in my decision to withdraw my children from Paintsville and enroll them at JCMS. Not the only factor, but all of my children have been members of a state championship team and that would not have happened in any sport at Paintsville or Johnson Central during that period.

Test scores are misleading. I am not sure what the current figure is, but a few years ago more than 70% of JCMS students qualified for free or reduced lunches. I doubt that you would find any significant difference between the test scores of Paintsville and Johnson Central students if you compare the scores of students from homes with similar income levels.

I attended both school systems and my children attended both school systems. You can get a great education in either system. It is, however, easier to coast through the county system is you do not have a stable home life and parents who are involved in the school. Paintsville's smaller enrollment makes it harder to "coast" through without drawing attention.

Both school systems desperately need to improve their math curricula at all grade levels. That is the one area where the best Johnson County students, whether from JCHS or PHS still have difficulty competing with the best students statewide. In every other area, both schools do a great job preparing graduates for college and successful careers.

Most parents who might prefer one school over the other one for athletic reasons will not select a school that is clearly academically inferior. Johnson Central (and even more so, Johnson County Middle School) is not clearly academically inferior to Paintsville. That fact does make the decision for county parents to send potential football players to schools located in their home school district.
In post 93 and before I asked a question regarding the number of D1 Players out of the past from Pville and JCHS. First of all would it be safe to say that Paintsville had more in this catagory? If they did what would the reason be?:Talent? Coaching? Fruit from the Central tree? What in fact say ye?:biggrin:
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:In post 93 and before I asked a question regarding the number of D1 Players out of the past from Pville and JCHS. First of all would it be safe to say that Paintsville had more in this catagory? If they did what would the reason be?:Talent? Coaching? Fruit from the Central tree? What in fact say ye?:biggrin:
Paintsville has had more D1 recruits mainly for two reasons, IMO.

1) Johnson Central has only existed since 1968 or 1969 I believe, and did not even field a team for the first few years of its existence. Not only that, none of the schools that consolidated to form Johnson Central fielded football teams. (Some of the Paintsville D1 players that were listed played before Johnson Central even came into being. A school cannot produce football players without a football team.)

2) Bad coaching and political meddling by the Johnson County Board because of squabbles between factions from the schools that consolidated to form the new high school hindered the development of its football program/ This did not change until JC finally hired Bill Musick and gave him time to build the program. (H/T to Steve Trimble.) Johnson Central had some competent coaches before Musick arrived on the scene but they were not given time to build a program before being fired.

Johnson Central received a big boost academically and athletically when Johnson County Middle School was built. That was the big turning point for JC football. Even during the Humphrey-Ross years, JCMS' program remained very successful. When Matney took over, he had some underutilized talent at the high school and the pipeline was full of good 7th and 8th grade players excited about playing for him.

Every player living in the Paintsville school district is within walking distance of the football field. That is a huge advantage that Paintsville enjoys. Some kids live 30 minutes from JC by car and who knows how long it takes them to ride the bus to school in the morning. That is one of the reason so many great elementary players never play their first down when they arrive at JCMS. Transportation issues effectively reduce the pool of boys available to play for JC, so the enrollment advantage has not been quite as large as the numbers indicate.

Paintsville and Johnson Central draw players from the same gene pool and most kids in one system have cousins attending the other system. There is nothing magic about Paintsville's water supply that produces D1 football players. Johnson Central has a larger enrollment, therefore it has more potentially outstanding football players.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I never said that the number of academic trophies is why kids stay in the Johnson County system but those trophies have been the result of some of the best classroom teachers in the state working long hours to overcome some overwhelming odds. As for those trophies being the result of a relatively small number of students, the same can be said of trophies won in athletic competition - and parents do choose schools because of sports programs.

The academic team at JCMS was a big factor in my decision to withdraw my children from Paintsville and enroll them at JCMS. Not the only factor, but all of my children have been members of a state championship team and that would not have happened in any sport at Paintsville or Johnson Central during that period.

Test scores are misleading. I am not sure what the current figure is, but a few years ago more than 70% of JCMS students qualified for free or reduced lunches. I doubt that you would find any significant difference between the test scores of Paintsville and Johnson Central students if you compare the scores of students from homes with similar income levels.

I attended both school systems and my children attended both school systems. You can get a great education in either system. It is, however, easier to coast through the county system is you do not have a stable home life and parents who are involved in the school. Paintsville's smaller enrollment makes it harder to "coast" through without drawing attention.

Both school systems desperately need to improve their math curricula at all grade levels. That is the one area where the best Johnson County students, whether from JCHS or PHS still have difficulty competing with the best students statewide. In every other area, both schools do a great job preparing graduates for college and successful careers.

Most parents who might prefer one school over the other one for athletic reasons will not select a school that is clearly academically inferior. Johnson Central (and even more so, Johnson County Middle School) is not clearly academically inferior to Paintsville. That fact does make the decision for county parents to send potential football players to schools located in their home school district.

Paintsvile High school and JCHS both have about the same percentage of children below the poverty line. That is no excuse and really central does not need an excuse. Two of the three best school systems in the mountians are in Johnson County. We should be happy with that.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Paintsvile High school and JCHS both have about the same percentage of children below the poverty line. That is no excuse and really central does not need an excuse. Two of the three best school systems in the mountians are in Johnson County. We should be happy with that.
*Not true. But even if it was true, poor kids can walk to Paintsville's football field from anywhere within the Paintsville schoold district. That is just not possible for some kids in the county system, especially at the middle school and high school level. It's not an excuse, it is a fact.

*Here are links to a web site that shows that 68% of Johnson Central's students qualify for free or reduced lunches and 27% of Paintsville High Schools students qualify.

Johnson Central
Paintsville
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I can give ya one for JCHS-Chris Deaton Marshall I think they are D1 ?.

They are D1 now in the mac conf. but during 90-93 when Chris played they were a D2 school. In 93 they made a run at a national title, eventually losing to Youngstown State in the championship game.
Redneck Wrote:Thats ONE team, dang buddy, you all act like and try to make it sound like the only reason ANY Paintsville team has had any success in the past is because kids from JC transferred over and played. ONE TEAM, WOW, I bet it didn't take ya long to research that. Hans played at Paintsville all thru grade school, so you can't really say that he came from the county. Played for the city in Elem, played for the county in middle school, played for the city in high school. When did Adam Cummings ever attend the county school system, I know he lived in Cross Creek, but when did he ever attend a county school. Matt Blevins went to Paintsville because his older brother played at Paintsville, can't fault the kid for that. He wouldn't have even played at JC had he stayed, and that had nothing to do with coaching, I would know, he's my first cousin.
Not that I care either way. Just setting the story straight is all.

Hans did NOT play at Paintsville all through grade school. He played at Oil Springs and I am pretty sure for one year at Central Elemetary. 100% know for a fact that he played at Oil Springs though.

Adam Cummins also attended Oil Springs at one time as well.