Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
TIGERTIME Wrote:I knew I would get a rise out of an administrator or family member of an administrator. I love this site!! They don't play the middle school for that very reason. Don't play the elementary you will never get another middle school game. You put Matney on some pedestal whgen the truth is half of the administrators want him out. That's classic Johnson county. Don't worry your footbll program will fall again, just give it time. You guys always cut your own throats.

Again you are wrong. paintsville Football is over! Not enough quality athletes left or money to support the program. Like I said, JC does not need Paintsville in anyway to suceed in football. Sound like you guys need JC to survive.

Classic Johnson County looks to me like hiring a great coach and building one of the top programs in the state, and with out any help from paintsville. If this is cutting our throats let me be the first to get a knife!
Eagle84 Wrote:TIGERTIME: You should be better known as “Alice and Wander Land” The demise of the Apple Bowl started when Johnson Central hired Coach Matney.
So let me get this right, Paintsville would play the Apple Bowl if the county grade school teams would play your grade school team. How does one relate to the other? In the past 5 years how many times has Paintsville 7&8 grade team refused to play Johnson Central Middle School team even though this game was schedule through the conference?
Did you not see the score of the Pineville game last week (62-6)? The problems with Paintsville football program is not having a running clock put on you in the Apple Bowl by Johnson Central but the people in charge of the program at Paintsville. From the administration down through your elementary, middle school and high school football coaches. At this point in time all Johnson Central Football Program gets out of the Apple Bowl would be having a game your could rest our starter before we start district and the economic reward of the game.
The most dominate area for Paintsville in the Apple Bowl was 1975 and 1982 however, Johnson Central did not blame Paintsville for the losses and we continue to play the apple Bowl.
At this time I think it is fair to say unless Paintsville’s administration, coaches and fans take the responsibility for the actions (not projecting blame ) and make the necessary changes to the football program TIGERTIME is over.
The 7/8 teams played four years ago when this bunch of Central Juniors were 8th graders. The game was respectable at the half although Central was ahead. Some suggested improprity?????? (a little) Confusedhh:Not a word from me .Too long and little to matter.:eyeroll:
MonsterMan Wrote:This is not true, Paintsville quit, plain and simple. They had had enough. To be honest, when JC set their goals higher than beating Paintsville their whole program turned around. Alot of memories for the older fans, but it serves no purpose in the JC program now.
"JC set their goals higher "???? Some have. Some just can't let it go. Shouldn't even be concerned with the Tigers but the cats on the schedule,namely The Tomcats. Much more important than digging up a dead issue. "serves no purpose",Now you are talking MM.:Thumbs:
MonsterMan Wrote:Again you are wrong. paintsville Football is over! Not enough quality athletes left or money to support the program. Like I said, JC does not need Paintsville in anyway to suceed in football. Sound like you guys need JC to survive.

Classic Johnson County looks to me like hiring a great coach and building one of the top programs in the state, and with out any help from paintsville. If this is cutting our throats let me be the first to get a knife!

Not enough money? Trust me...Football has spent the money.

Not enough quality athletes? Trust me...A whole bunch just not playing.

Neither of those are the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
TIGERTIME Wrote:This is very true. Ask your boss over there. He could start the road to recovery. Ask him why he doesn't play the elementary. they beg him every year. Paintsville spends thousand of dollars every year transporting elementary kids to other counties to play elementary basketball and football games. Trimble was warned on several occassions and they warned him the Apple bowl was in jeopardy. He won't tell you that but that's the bottom line.

This is so funny!!! Where did you get your information? Bottom line is that JC will not play the elementary school because Pville likes to choose what sports they will play JC middle/elementary in. If they can compete they will play, bottom line. Don't go blaming our administration for Paintsville's decisions. Truth is they really can't compete in anything but soccer anymore.:igiveup:

JC is moving to higher expectations than beating Paintsville. I just wish that JC would pick up a game on Thursday night. Miss that football for this week.
No matter who is at fault...It is RIDICULOUS. In basketball alone every team in the county could add another H/A game to their schedule without leaving the county. As much as gas is now, looks like the ones in charge (Here or There), would put their childish grudges behind them and think about letting the real kids do what they want to do. And that is just play. If you told the kids from each school that they would be playing each other...they would ALL be so excited. Remember, it's the adults that set the example here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:No matter who is at fault...It is RIDICULOUS. In basketball alone every team in the county could add another H/A game to their schedule without leaving the county. As much as gas is now, looks like the ones in charge (Here or There), would put their childish grudges behind them and think about letting the real kids do what they want to do. And that is just play. If you told the kids from each school that they would be playing each other...they would ALL be so excited. Remember, it's the adults that set the example here.

The JC system can play within and support itself and has gas money to travel. Like and earlier poster stated, Paintsville only wants to play when it feels it can win and that is not very often in any sport now. Our kids do not see beating Paintsville as anything special now. From the post I am reading, beating JC is a priority for the Paintsville kids. We have moved on and setting our sights higher.

This was about the Apple Bowl and Apple Week. Most teams now are in the hunt for their distircts so playing othter outside teams is out. Lets take a week off and go to The Apple Festival and get ready for theTomcats.
OffTheHook Wrote:Not enough money? Trust me...Football has spent the money.

Not enough quality athletes? Trust me...A whole bunch just not playing.

Neither of those are the problem.

Where has the money been spent?

If the kids are not on the field how do you know they are quality athletes?

If these are not probems why has Paintsville football declined?
MonsterMan Wrote:The JC system can play within and support itself and has gas money to travel. Like and earlier poster stated, Paintsville only wants to play when it feels it can win and that is not very often in any sport now. Our kids do not see beating Paintsville as anything special now. From the post I am reading, beating JC is a priority for the Paintsville kids. We have moved on and setting our sights higher.

This was about the Apple Bowl and Apple Week. Most teams now are in the hunt for their distircts so playing othter outside teams is out. Lets take a week off and go to The Apple Festival and get ready for theTomcats.

See, MM, This is what I'm talking about. I know BOTH systems travel outside the county. All I was saying is that it would be financial benifit for ALL. I didn't have a snide comment like "that is not very often in any sport now.". Your WHOLE statement is filled with arrogance, (play within, money to travel, and so on and so on), which is exactly what I was talking about with the adults.
These kids want to play against their friends win or loose. Heck I don't even have a kid in grade school. I support EVERY kid in this county. Just ask any of them. I know a young lady that plays basketball for CES and she was sooo excited that they had Paintsville on there schedule and was going to get to play there and play against some of her friends from softball. Well needless to say, she was pretty heart broken when the games were canceled.
You see, it's the adults that think they are messin with one another. When it is really the kids that are being messed with emotionally. From Seniors all the way down to 3rd or 4th grade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:See, MM, This is what I'm talking about. I know BOTH systems travel outside the county. All I was saying is that it would be financial benifit for ALL. I didn't have a snide comment like "that is not very often in any sport now.". Your WHOLE statement is filled with arrogance, (play within, money to travel, and so on and so on), which is exactly what I was talking about with the adults.
These kids want to play against their friends win or loose. Heck I don't even have a kid in grade school. I support EVERY kid in this county. Just ask any of them. I know a young lady that plays basketball for CES and she was sooo excited that they had Paintsville on there schedule and was going to get to play there and play against some of her friends from softball. Well needless to say, she was pretty heart broken when the games were canceled.
You see, it's the adults that think they are messin with one another. When it is really the kids that are being messed with emotionally. From Seniors all the way down to 3rd or 4th grade.

This is getting way off the Apple Bowl but the kids I talk to are emotional about being district and region champs and beating Paintsvillle is not any more important than beating Martin County or Lawrence County, just another game. We do not live just to beat or play Paintsville. The reasons we have heard on this thread is why The Apple Bowl is not played anymore. Is has nothing to prove.
MonsterMan Wrote:Where has the money been spent?

I can see right now, that you don't know me.
I could sit here and make you a list. BUT, I choose not to.
My son play 3 sports at Paintsville. I attend just about EVERY sporting event there, and as many JCHS events as I can as well.

So trust me, when I say, There is A LOT of "quality athletes", not playing at BOTH schools.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Whoever made the decision to cancel the Apple Bowl, I would like to personally thank them. When Matney was first hired, I though that Paintsville would be lucky to win 1 in 10 Apple Bowls, but I apparently underestimated his ability. I am glad that the annual match-up was canceled and as for the all-time record between the schools, I could not care less. Let Paintsville's alumni long for the good old days all they want, as long as Johnson Central maintains a football befitting a 5A school nobody should want to see the Apple Bowl resurrected. - least of all JC.

Barring another huge hiring blunder by Johnson Central's administration after Matney retires (it has happened repeatedly in the past), Paintsville should never be competitive with Johnson Central again - but history does have a way of repeating itself. I don't want to see JC or Paintsville play each other when they could be competing with teams closer to their own level instead.
MonsterMan Wrote:This is getting way off the Apple Bowl but the kids I talk to are emotional about being district and region champs and beating Paintsvillle is not any more important than beating Martin County or Lawrence County, just another game. We do not live just to beat or play Paintsville. The reasons we have heard on this thread is why The Apple Bowl is not played anymore. Is has nothing to prove.

I have preached for the last 4 years that it benefits neither (except money wise, Paintsville more). I have said let BOTH play other teams at JC and call it the Apple Bowl.
All I see are a bunch of adults (with grudges) feeding everyone full of crap with lame excuses.

The Apple Bowl COULD exist. If the grownups would grow up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Whoever made the decision to cancel the Apple Bowl, I would like to personally thank them. When Matney was first hired, I though that Paintsville would be lucky to win 1 in 10 Apple Bowls, but I apparently underestimated his ability. I am glad that the annual match-up was canceled and as for the all-time record between the schools, I could not care less. Let Paintsville's alumni long for the good old days all they want, as long as Johnson Central maintains a football befitting a 5A school nobody should want to see the Apple Bowl resurrected. - least of all JC.

Barring another huge hiring blunder by Johnson Central's administration after Matney retires (it has happened repeatedly in the past), Paintsville should never be competitive with Johnson Central again - but history does have a way of repeating itself. I don't want to see JC or Paintsville play each other when they could be competing with teams closer to their own level instead.

:Thumbs:...Read my signature HOOT.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
TIGERTIME Wrote:I knew I would get a rise out of an administrator or family member of an administrator. I love this site!! They don't play the middle school for that very reason. Don't play the elementary you will never get another middle school game. You put Matney on some pedestal whgen the truth is half of the administrators want him out. That's classic Johnson county. Don't worry your footbll program will fall again, just give it time. You guys always cut your own throats.
Why would Paintsville want its middle school team playing JCMS? How many 50-0 halftime scores is enough? Does Paintsville's middle school team play the county's 7th grade team? Those games used to be pretty competitive. Paintsville does not have enough athletes in a single class to compete with JC at the middle school or high school level. I think that the county grade schools should play Paintsville if they want but the middle school games have generally been as big of a mismatch as the last few Apple Bowls were.

You are probably right about JC's football program eventually returning to a low level. The administration played musical chairs with coaching positions for years, which is why Paintsville was once able to compete with them in football. Politicians can always be counted upon to screw things up in the long run. However, Matney's job is as safe as anybody's in the state. Steve Trimble hired him and his success reflects favorably on Steve. As long as Steve has the board's support, Matney will have all of the support he needs.
OffTheHook Wrote::Thumbs:...Read my signature HOOT.
:Thumbs: on your signature. For such a short term as president, JFK delivered many outstanding quotable lines and he did it without the benefit of a teleprompter, focus groups, or daily polls.
TIGERTIME Wrote:This is very true. Ask your boss over there. He could start the road to recovery. Ask him why he doesn't play the elementary. they beg him every year. Paintsville spends thousand of dollars every year transporting elementary kids to other counties to play elementary basketball and football games. Trimble was warned on several occassions and they warned him the Apple bowl was in jeopardy. He won't tell you that but that's the bottom line.

I tell you one thing, you have come up with the lamest excuses that I have ever read. LOL
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Why would Paintsville want its middle school team playing JCMS? How many 50-0 halftime scores is enough? Does Paintsville's middle school team play the county's 7th grade team? Those games used to be pretty competitive. Paintsville does not have enough athletes in a single class to compete with JC at the middle school or high school level. I think that the county grade schools should play Paintsville if they want but the middle school games have generally been as big of a mismatch as the last few Apple Bowls were.

You are probably right about JC's football program eventually returning to a low level. The administration played musical chairs with coaching positions for years, which is why Paintsville was once able to compete with them in football. Politicians can always be counted upon to screw things up in the long run. However, Matney's job is as safe as anybody's in the state. Steve Trimble hired him and his success reflects favorably on Steve. As long as Steve has the board's support, Matney will have all of the support he needs.
Excellent post Mr. Gibson.I certainly could not agree with you more. As I have looked at the posts on this thread throughout the day I have wondered how the expressions presented in them will be recieved by the young people who read them. A few short years ago young players from Paintsville and Johnson Co.were united for three years in little league baseball playoffs. It did not matter to them if one was from Flat Gap or 6th street. They were there to play baseball and try to retrieve a State championship. What is really sad was that the 4th year a group of adults decided to start a new league. Roughly half of those boys left. The State Tournement was held in Paintsville.Half of those boys played and lost. The other half watched through the fence. One could not help but think what would have happened if that group had stayed unified. Adults seem to have a way. Some of those boys now play at Central ,some at Paintsville and others to the four winds.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Excellent post Mr. Gibson.I certainly could not agree with you more. As I have looked at the posts on this thread throughout the day I have wondered how the expressions presented in them will be recieved by the young people who read them. A few short years ago young players from Paintsville and Johnson Co.were united for three years in little league baseball playoffs. It did not matter to them if one was from Flat Gap or 6th street. They were there to play baseball and try to retrieve a State championship. What is really sad was that the 4th year a group of adults decided to start a new league. Roughly half of those boys left. The State Tournement was held in Paintsville.Half of those boys played and lost. The other half watched through the fence. One could not help but think what would have happened if that group had stayed unified. Adults seem to have a way. Some of those boys now play at Central ,some at Paintsville and others to the four winds.
Johnson County had a great American Legion baseball program for a few years when I was in school. I played baseball with many of the same kids from both Paintsville and the county from Little League until my final year of American Legion. Those were some good times. There is no good reason for the county and city kids not to compete with and, even better play on the same teams whenever possible.

8th grade and high school football are the exception only because the county has such a huge enrollment advantage, Paintsville no longer has an edge in coaching, and county kids are staying home to play football. I hate to see non-school sports like Little League, Babe Ruth (or whatever organization they are affiliated with now), etc. broken down along city/county lines. Some of my best friends were from Paintsville and it was great being able to have them as teammates at least part of the time.
MonsterMan Wrote:Where has the money been spent?

The football team gets new Uniforms almost every year, and I dont think any kid on the team has a "old style" helmet. Plus the new press box, bleacher upgrades, and renovations to the playing surface werent free.

As for athletes look at the coccer program. How many of those boys could help the football team? they are ALL athletes and almost all would be good backs in Class-A football. But they choose to play the sport we are winning at, and who can blame them.

Alot of people say coaching. I agree and disagree but im not gonna go into that right now.
Listen Guys the apple bowl was a disaster waiting to happen. Paintsville was usually a Top-10 or so Class-A team, and could barely handle JCHS which was the laughing stock of 3-A football. Anyone with the least bit of intelligence knew there was no way these two would be able to keep this going after JCHS got their program established. While Musick was at central he went 8-2 i believe, after he left Paintsville won three in a row. then once central got a good coach the games were over before they started. I love my Tigers but there is no way Paintsville would ever win this game again. 49-15 was the closest score in the last five years of the series. In that game Paintsville scored 7 on the second possesion then central rattled of 41 straight. They were the hardest hitting games you would ever see, Heck most of the central kids would always say Paintsville was the hardest hitting team they would play all year. So it wasn't lack of effort, It was sheer numbers that is why there is a class system in football. Freak series' like Hazard-PCC, and Paintsville-JCHS are a very rare thing and Paintsville fans can be happy we won the games so many times but we need to face it. WE GOT BEAT TO DEATH EVERY YEAR for the last five so there was 0 point to keep it going. As OfftheHook said Paintsville and JC should each play a rival at Eagle field on the thursday of apple day weekend, but the "adults" won't let that happen.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Excellent post Mr. Gibson.I certainly could not agree with you more. As I have looked at the posts on this thread throughout the day I have wondered how the expressions presented in them will be recieved by the young people who read them. A few short years ago young players from Paintsville and Johnson Co.were united for three years in little league baseball playoffs. It did not matter to them if one was from Flat Gap or 6th street. They were there to play baseball and try to retrieve a State championship. What is really sad was that the 4th year a group of adults decided to start a new league. Roughly half of those boys left. The State Tournement was held in Paintsville.Half of those boys played and lost. The other half watched through the fence. One could not help but think what would have happened if that group had stayed unified. Adults seem to have a way. Some of those boys now play at Central ,some at Paintsville and others to the four winds.

Maybe that is why you see JC athletics competing statewide. They are now staying unified and have a great feeder system. Paintsville is really struggling now that they have lost their "tool" with Little League. :eyeroll:
Eagle Eye Wrote:Maybe that is why you see JC athletics competing statewide. They are now staying unified and have a great feeder system. Paintsville is really struggling now that they have lost their "tool" with Little League. :eyeroll:
I am afraid you missed the whole point of my post. It had to do with negative division through radical intervention and was associated with the Psyche of youth, not with central and paintsville athletics.
"And The Beat Goes On". Some central fans want to be the big dog. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I happen to want a title for them myself. I have close friends on this football team and would hope they could have a ring. One thing to remember is that you can't run behind the Big Dogs ,you have to run with them. So far it has been elusive for you. With coach Matney I believe it will come. To enhance your position you willhave to start with success against the killer B's along with victories in the northland. You will probably need to bring a state title to Johnson Co,in a major team sport. Even lowly P-ville has marked in Basketball,Baseball and have been to the finals twice in football. Throw that silly barrell in paint creek and go get the big trophy. I have faith that you can do it.
Some people talk about "letting stuff go" I remember when a JC coach had a tire burned on his vehicle, several JC players vehicles got soaped or egged, when JC's track and locker room door was spray painted with "Greaserville", when some of Paintsville's players would come over to the plaza and try to fight with students that weren't even on the football team..... I could go on for along time with this list. And I'm sure Paintsville fans could do the same thing...... but these stupid acts are what drives the rivalry between these two schools. We (JC) went 2-2 in this series during my high school years, and winning those 5 straight ganmes in blow-out fashion kinda made up for the 2 losses.
Now I know some people will say it's time to grow up.... but I see it as standing up for my high school. Just because I'm not a student anymore doesn't mean I can't support them.
Tailback44 Wrote:Pretty much, BIG 5A school JC was always beating up on little oh 1A Paintsville. I'm kinda glad to see it over. I would like to see a series of JC and Paintsville playing other teams during the Apple Fesitval though.

It is funny that when Johnson Central was losing big to Paintsville before the Matney era I didn't hear Paintsville or Central for that matter wanting to end it.
pulp fiction Wrote:some people talk about "letting stuff go" i remember when a jc coach had a tire burned on his vehicle, several jc players vehicles got soaped or egged, when jc's track and locker room door was spray painted with "greaserville", when some of paintsville's players would come over to the plaza and try to fight with students that weren't even on the football team..... I could go on for along time with this list. And i'm sure paintsville fans could do the same thing...... But these stupid acts are what drives the rivalry between these two schools. We (jc) went 2-2 in this series during my high school years, and winning those 5 straight ganmes in blow-out fashion kinda made up for the 2 losses.
Now i know some people will say it's time to grow up.... But i see it as standing up for my high school. Just because i'm not a student anymore doesn't mean i can't support them.

amen

The Paintsville Little League was nothing more than a feeder system for Paintsville School system. They would recruit enough county players to cover and complement the city kids. The first thing Matney did was keep the county kids at home. This helped the county program and destroyed the Paintsville Football program. Setting up our own league was the best thing that happened. Keep our kids in our feeder program. I can see why you wish for the days when Paintsville cherry picked our kids.

This thread is about the Apple Bowl. These comments really show that this was not an atheltic event, this was an event for the two sides to continue fighting.
Maybe the old die hard fans will slide away into the past and we can get on with what really matters.

As I said earlier schools are in hunt for teir district games now and it would be hard if not impossiable to schedule other teams.
JCHS05 Wrote:It is funny that when Johnson Central was losing big to Paintsville before the Matney era I didn't hear Paintsville or Central for that matter wanting to end it.

If you check out the link earlier in the thread of Apple Bowl history, you'll see there were very few times "Johnson Central was losing big to Paintsville". The series was competitive until the last few years.
MonsterMan Wrote:The Paintsville Little League was nothing more than a feeder system for Paintsville School system. They would recruit enough county players to cover and complement the city kids. The first thing Matney did was keep the county kids at home. This helped the county program and destroyed the Paintsville Football program. Setting up our own league was the best thing that happened. Keep our kids in our feeder program. I can see why you wish for the days when Paintsville cherry picked our kids.

This thread is about the Apple Bowl. These comments really show that this was not an atheltic event, this was an event for the two sides to continue fighting.
Maybe the old die hard fans will slide away into the past and we can get on with what really matters.

As I said earlier schools are in hunt for teir district games now and it would be hard if not impossiable to schedule other teams.
MM relax and take a deep breath.It's going to be ok. Think:Matney/Football-Little League/Baseball,Fall/Spring. Four years ago Little League was the only youth baseball for kids to play. Now I know Coach Matney would not want the kids who would never play F-ball to stay home rather than play in that old city Little League. Now there is CR. I suppose the ending of cherry picking central Football ???!!! I know the LL numbers are going back up gradually. I suppose that in a few years we can expect a decent football team a P-ville. THIS OF COURCE WOULD BE AFTER THE TREES HAVE BEEN PICKED>
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Some people talk about "letting stuff go" I remember when a JC coach had a tire burned on his vehicle, several JC players vehicles got soaped or egged, when JC's track and locker room door was spray painted with "Greaserville", when some of Paintsville's players would come over to the plaza and try to fight with students that weren't even on the football team..... I could go on for along time with this list. And I'm sure Paintsville fans could do the same thing...... but these stupid acts are what drives the rivalry between these two schools. We (JC) went 2-2 in this series during my high school years, and winning those 5 straight ganmes in blow-out fashion kinda made up for the 2 losses.
Now I know some people will say it's time to grow up.... but I see it as standing up for my high school. Just because I'm not a student anymore doesn't mean I can't support them.

Sounds like you might have played when I did. As for the tire being burned, I can't deny that cause it happened. It happened after Tanner Stambaugh burned out new 4-Man Sled to the ground, you remember that. And if there were any players from our team that were tryin to fight in the plaza, thats the first Ive heard about it. All that crap that went on then, the vandilism and all that crap, it wasn't even players who did it. I already named the one from JC who did the most damage, and I could name the boys from Paintsville who trashed JC's field and spray painted the lockerroom, they weren't players either.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH