Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
I'm as big a Paintsville Fan as anyone, but I believe we showed our butts when we cancelled the game. You can argue all you want that is was because "they" don't play our elementary teams, but the real reason was simple......we were getting our butts handed to us on a silver plate every year and it didn't taste good. The elementary games were nothing more than an excuse.........

Now to the Apple Bowl..........I agree that a doubleheader would be bad for JCHS financially, they would be on the losing end of a split gate. My plan would be to host a JCHS game at 6:00 PM on their field, and then PHS play at 8:00 PM on their field. The following year year switch the times, PHS plays at 6:00 PM, JCHS at 8:00 PM. If the teams play the local teams can't get here until 6:30 or 7:00, move back the start time, bith schools are out the next day, or play on Friday night. You have a lot of visitors in town, take advantage of them. Get their butts in the seats at one school or another, and some people would attend both games. Fans get a game on Apple Day Week, the crowds would be larger than normal, everybody wins. I know that this plan is too simple for the administrators at each school to understand, but think about it........we have football at Apple Day, it's a win win situation.
MonsterMan Wrote:JC already schedules these teams and to be honest better teams and draws a huge crowd. The agrument would be on how to split the gate and Paintsville would want it moved to their field every other year. What am I missing, what is in this for JC?
I agree with you MM.:Thumbs:However there is only one thing to gain and that would be the series record. When you think that's hardly worth the effort.If it wasn't for this there would have been little discussed about the Apple Bowl.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:I'm as big a Paintsville Fan as anyone, but I believe we showed our butts when we cancelled the game. You can argue all you want that is was because "they" don't play our elementary teams, but the real reason was simple......we were getting our butts handed to us on a silver plate every year and it didn't taste good. The elementary games were nothing more than an excuse.........

Now to the Apple Bowl..........I agree that a doubleheader would be bad for JCHS financially, they would be on the losing end of a split gate. My plan would be to host a JCHS game at 6:00 PM on their field, and then PHS play at 8:00 PM on their field. The following year year switch the times, PHS plays at 6:00 PM, JCHS at 8:00 PM. If the teams play the local teams can't get here until 6:30 or 7:00, move back the start time, bith schools are out the next day, or play on Friday night. You have a lot of visitors in town, take advantage of them. Get their butts in the seats at one school or another, and some people would attend both games. Fans get a game on Apple Day Week, the crowds would be larger than normal, everybody wins. I know that this plan is too simple for the administrators at each school to understand, but think about it........we have football at Apple Day, it's a win win situation.
:Thumbs: I think you have outlined a great plan. Let each team take advantage of the Apple Day crowd at their own stadium at a time that will not conflict with each other's game. Parking might be tough at Paintsville, but maybe they could run a shuttle bus from Johnson Central if they could schedule the games such that people could attend both games if they wanted.
You know, I was actually talking about my previous post I made last night and that idea actually crossed my mind. Have a set-up like the Pike Co. Bowl. On Thursday, either Paintsville or JC would host a team and on Friday the other would host another team. Each school would get to keep their own gate..that could be a win-win situation as someone else mentioned previously.
Like I stated very early in this thread. Steve Trimble holds the key to reopening this series. He plays Paintsville Elementary in all sports then I think the Apple bowl will resume. It's that simple. It really is!!!
TIGERTIME Wrote:Like I stated very early in this thread. Steve Trimble holds the key to reopening this series. He plays Paintsville Elementary in all sports then I think the Apple bowl will resume. It's that simple. It really is!!!

Then here's to hoping he throws the key away.
TIGERTIME Wrote:Like I stated very early in this thread. Steve Trimble holds the key to reopening this series. He plays Paintsville Elementary in all sports then I think the Apple bowl will resume. It's that simple. It really is!!!

TT I for one am quite confused. When this thread first started it seemed to be only Central fans who wanted to bring back the game and that was understandable. Do you also want to bring it back? That's very confusing.
Just an excuse to not play it in my book and making it seem like JC is the bad guy...IMO. When I was playing grade school ball we only played a team in the county system twice...Porter when I was in the 4th grade and then Oil Springs when I was in the 6th, other than that we stuck to Allen Elem., Pburg, Inez, Warfield, Allen Central, etc. I don't care if the game is played or not, but don't use that one...besides I heard tonight that Paintsville has their schedule made out for next year anyway. It was a good tradition and I'm glad that I was a part of it....but as the saying goes, "the show must go on." Best of luck to both schools in the future and whatever comes out of this situation.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:TT I for one am quite confused. When this thread first started it seemed to be only Central fans who wanted to bring back the game and that was understandable. Do you also want to bring it back? That's very confusing.

I really don't think it benefits either school other than financially. Sure, some years the games will be better than others but not many Single A schools can compete with any 4A schools this day in time. I say if the fans want it, which they do, then play it. I'm all for it.
IRISH4 Wrote:Just an excuse to not play it in my book and making it seem like JC is the bad guy...IMO. When I was playing grade school ball we only played a team in the county system twice...Porter when I was in the 4th grade and then Oil Springs when I was in the 6th, other than that we stuck to Allen Elem., Pburg, Inez, Warfield, Allen Central, etc. I don't care if the game is played or not, but don't use that one...besides I heard tonight that Paintsville has their schedule made out for next year anyway. It was a good tradition and I'm glad that I was a part of it....but as the saying goes, "the show must go on." Best of luck to both schools in the future and whatever comes out of this situation.

Its a fact brother, if Paintsville can get 6 grade school games, then they will play the Apple Bowl. Won't be playin it next year cause we already got our schedule. I'm with ya though, I could care less if they played it or not.

And to whoever it was that said earlier that Paintsville will only play the county schools when they think they can win, you need to get over yourself. Like IRISH4 said, we only played 2 county schools when were younger, Porter beat us when we were in 4th grade, then we beat Oil Springs when they were "unstoppable" in 6th grade.

A lil somethin else some of you county people may wanna hear about. JC Blanton called one of our grade school coaches a couple days ago and said that they (county) had an All-Star team made up from all the county schools and would like to play our 5th-6th grade team. Our coach asked Kinner if they could play it, Kinner talked to Sammons, Sammons OK'd it. When Blanton was called back with a YES answer, he told our coach that he would have to run it by their Super. SO, if JC's Super OK's the game, then we will get to see Paintsville's 5th-6th grade team VS. the Johnson County 5th-6th grade All-Stars.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Redneck Wrote:Its a fact brother, if Paintsville can get 6 grade school games, then they will play the Apple Bowl. Won't be playin it next year cause we already got our schedule. I'm with ya though, I could care less if they played it or not.

And to whoever it was that said earlier that Paintsville will only play the county schools when they think they can win, you need to get over yourself. Like IRISH4 said, we only played 2 county schools when were younger, Porter beat us when we were in 4th grade, then we beat Oil Springs when they were "unstoppable" in 6th grade.

A lil somethin else some of you county people may wanna hear about. JC Blanton called one of our grade school coaches a couple days ago and said that they (county) had an All-Star team made up from all the county schools and would like to play our 5th-6th grade team. Our coach asked Kinner if they could play it, Kinner talked to Sammons, Sammons OK'd it. When Blanton was called back with a YES answer, he told our coach that he would have to run it by their Super. SO, if JC's Super OK's the game, then we will get to see Paintsville's 5th-6th grade team VS. the Johnson County 5th-6th grade All-Stars.
If there is an elementary all star team , it is not really associated with the JC elementary athletic program. By that I mean, this is just a team that is made up by a few volunteers just wanting to play some more football games after the regular season is over. Kind of like an AAU team in a sense.
bob seger Wrote:if there is an elementary all star team , it is not really associated with the jc elementary athletic program. By that i mean, this is just a team that is made up by a few volunteers just wanting to play some more football games after the regular season is over. Kind of like an aau team in a sense.
and?
Bob Seger Wrote:If there is an elementary all star team , it is not really associated with the JC elementary athletic program. By that I mean, this is just a team that is made up by a few volunteers just wanting to play some more football games after the regular season is over. Kind of like an AAU team in a sense.

I'm just tellin ya what JC Blanton called and said. Paintsville's officials OK'd the game, just waitin to here back from Blanton to see when they wanna play. I understand what you're sayin brother, but who determines what kids can play on this team. Do they have try-outs, do all the coaches in the county get to vote on it? Just wondering.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:and?

And what?
Redneck Wrote:I'm just tellin ya what JC Blanton called and said. Paintsville's officials OK'd the game, just waitin to here back from Blanton to see when they wanna play. I understand what you're sayin brother, but who determines what kids can play on this team. Do they have try-outs, do all the coaches in the county get to vote on it? Just wondering.

I dont think that JC is employed by the Johnson Co. School System so I'm not sure. I guessing if he is the coach it's an invitation to play on this little team me and a couple of buddies are putting together type of deal.
It would be nice to see Paintsville vs Jc again i'm a 1995 Grad of Paintsville and this was the game we all wanted to win. Bring Back the Apple Bowl!!!!
Bob Seger Wrote:I dont think that JC is employed by the Johnson Co. School System so I'm not sure. I guessing if he is the coach it's an invitation to play on this little team me and a couple of buddies are putting together type of deal.

I was just wondering. Cause if the game is played and Paintsville wins, I didn't wanna hear all that crap about so and so not playing. If he is puttin together an "all-star" team, he needs to get the county's best players.
Bob Seger Wrote:And what?

"AND" "AND WHAT". That is what I am wondering. Let me finish the and for you. I am simply wondering if there is an all Star team? If there is would it be better,worse or the same as a team from the JCEP. If there is a team will a game be played? Your previous post kind of left me hanging,wondering if this would be alesser team than the conference would field.
Redneck Wrote:I was just wondering. Cause if the game is played and Paintsville wins, I didn't wanna hear all that crap about so and so not playing. If he is puttin together an "all-star" team, he needs to get the county's best players.

I guess that would be something that you and JC could debate each other on for the ages based on whatever the results of this proposed matchup (and whatever potential spin might take place) are, if and/or when it occurs. This appears to be his and a few of his buddies team, so perhaps you could personally give him an advance warning on your demands of whatever excuses could hypothetically be aired and of their validity of whether or not they fit into the "crap" category. Tell him that's just the way it's gonna be, that you're the one setting all the rules and making all the criteria here for post game fallout. You need to take charge on this one. lol
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess that would be something that you and JC could debate each other on for the ages based on whatever the results of this proposed matchup (and whatever potential spin might take place) are, if and/or when it occurs. This appears to be his and a few of his buddies team, so perhaps you could personally give him an advance warning on your demands of whatever excuses could hypothetically be aired and of their validity of whether or not they fit into the "crap" category. Tell him that's just the way it's gonna be, that you're the one setting all the rules and making all the criteria here for post game fallout. You need to take charge on this one. lol

Lol. I'm just thinkin that maybe JC brought this whole thing up without runnin it by anyone thinkin that Paintsville would refuse to play a county All-Star team. Now that Paintsville accepted the offer, he doesn't know what to do.
Somebody make me understand what a grade school game has to do with this. Was the grade schools playing each other when the Apple Bowl started? I wasn't raised here so I'm just wondering how all that came about with Paintsville needing to play the county grade schools in order for the Apple Bowl to be played?
Redneck Wrote:Its a fact brother, if Paintsville can get 6 grade school games, then they will play the Apple Bowl. Won't be playin it next year cause we already got our schedule. I'm with ya though, I could care less if they played it or not.

Since the schedule for next year is set up, with this new alignment in the district im wondering what it looks like for next season. What teams are you all playing in the non district games?
oneijoe Wrote:Actually, you're dead wrong. In only ONE year has Paintsville approached the "beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too" point. That was the year Lemaster was the star QB for the Tigers (back in 1978).

From its very first year in existance, Central ALWAYS had a huge advantage in resources and facilities. Though Paintsville had advantages in coaching and tradition, it allowed Central to be reasonably competitive throughout the series.

Here's proof:

http://phsaa.com/Apple%20Bowl%20History/...istory.htm

The 1982 game sounded like one for the ages!
In 1988 JCHS was loaded, that was when they had Chris Deaton and Bryan Hall. Bryan Hall was ever bit as good a football as Channing Fugate about the same size and speed. Bryan Hall High Jumped over 6 feet 2 inchs, I dought Fugate could. Ronnie Wells a PHS alum had developed these guys he was 2-1 in the Apple Bowl. He had the cornor turned pretty MUCH with JCHS football. In 1987 he lost 7 or 8 starters to injury but still won the Apple Bowl. People forget, Ronnie took a group of freshmen and Sophmores to Pikeville and whipped them right there on there home field in a JV game that Bobby Deramus and Honaker played in. They fired Ronnie and gave the job to Steve Trimble who had never coached varsity football before. Ronnie Took his sons JJ and Greg Slone to Paintsville with him. In 88' JCHS comes into the Apple Bowl 5-1 won and lose in double overtime after missing a PAT that would have won the game. After that Apple Bowl JCHS never recovered , and finished in tie for second in the District and lost the tie breaker and a Chance to go to the playoffs. At that time all JCHS fans cared about was the Apple Bowl and it really ment nothing in the big Picture of things. The worst thing that ever happened to JCHS football was when they fired Ronnie Wells after the 87 season. There was another talented athlete who High Jumped 6 feet 8 inchs, this guy still holds the record a JCHS in the 110 high Hudlers and High Jump that the brillant Steve Trimble played at offensive tackle. It was a shame that Greg Slone and JJ didnt and that 88' 89 bunch didnt get to stay together. The best thing besides hiring Matney as coach to happen to JCHS football was ending the APPLE Bowl! I am not downing Steve Trimble he is great guy and a honest man. I have followed football for year and when Matney gets a group with the size and raw talent like the Class of 89' and 90' at JCHS that when he will win a State title. Like I said I go back a long way in Football in Johnson Co, in 89 JCHS had a pretty good team and a Track star playing O-tackle for them. Trimble had to make sure Darren Gamble AKS Steve JR got his carries. To give u guys a idea of who the track star is, IAN WELCHs mom and this guys DAD are bother and sister a family full of athletes.