•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can any 5A team beat Highlands?(seriously)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Agreed, but if a team is down by 30 after a quarter, their chances of winning a game are pretty slim. The longer an underdog hangs in the game, the more likely that a turnover or two will result in an upset. When a team manages to grab an early lead or stay close into the second half, it is a reflection on coaching and good preparation - as opposed to getting blown out early and scoring some garbage points against JV players.

Johnson Central was well prepared for the Bell County game and had a good game pan but they lacked the depth to play with Bell for four quarters. That has also been their downfall the past couple of seasons against Highlands and in 2006 against Covington Catholic's state championship team.

Highlands fans who think that it is a given that Highland would blow out Bell County are just kidding themselves. Bell County impressed me every bit as much Friday night as Highlands' last two championship teams have - especially considering that this is just mid-season. I think that a game between the two would be a very competitive match-up. I also think that a team that can hold Trinity to 14 points will definitely have a shot at knocking off Highlands

I think alot of Highlands fans have been giving Bell and Boyle alot of respect. In fact there has been alot of talk about how much better the competition in 4A would/will be. It is just that the posts above that state the 2 above mentioned teams would beat HHS badly are off base. Could they beat the birds, possibly. Do I think it would happen this year (or last year),no. I think Highlands fans are looking forward to some new competition next year, and that is because your programs are respected by the birds.
sstack Wrote:I, as well as the rest of the Highlands fans know we will lose a title game and even a playoff game eventually. I do not feel anybody is pretending a loss is impossible. Highlands is just on an incredible roll and the last 3 years has had very little competition in 5A. For some reason the belief around the state is that Highlands has had a big drop off this year in talent. The fact is, if you have watched Highlands over the last 4 years, the talent has not dropped. I feel like everybody is asking us to come on here and say that Highlands is only average this year and will be lucky to win a game in the playoffs. When Highlands is not head and shoulders above most 5A teams, I will be the first to admit it. But from everything I have seen this year, Highlands has picked right up where they left off last year and only getting better each week. Yes, anything could happen on any given night, but it is unlikely that many teams are going to hang with Highlands in the playoffs this year. I think JC might hang around for a half. CC and JH possibly for a half. And the biggest challenge looks to be BG(this could be a very good game from the little I have seen of BG at this time).
I don't think that any team in the state is capable of beating Highlands easily without Highlands having an uncharacteristically bad game and committing a bunch of turnovers. However, I feel the same way about Bell County. If both teams played at the top of their games, I am not sure which one would prevail. Both are beatable on a bad night against a good team, as is true for all teams.
Nobody has a chance
Hoot Gibson Wrote:They are lucky that they are playing up this season. I think that they would struggle with Boyle County and I would take Bell County over them right now. As far as 5A teams, any team capable of playing within 2 points of Trinity is also capable of beating Highlands on a good night.
Are you kidding .:lmao:
All i do is win Wrote:I actually agree Boyle would have no problem with Highlands and on a good night nieither would Bell Id also take JC over them. These 4A teams can hang with some of the big dogs. I think you should seriously watch some of them play. Pulaski is not bad either i think that would be a good game for them.
wow:lmao:
BigEastZebra Wrote:In 5A, I think Highlands can be beat this year. I think BG can do it. I think Pulaski will give them a better game than last year too. And I agree, that Bell would beat them, and Boyle would too.
Bell or Boyle could not beat Withthrow bottom line.:lmao:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wow, these are some interesting responses, including a couple from posters who predicted that Highlands would totally dominate JC in the regional final the past couple of seasons. Highlands did win both games comfortably but JC **** with them well into the third quarter both games. IMO, this JC team will be the best one since 2006 and it may be their best team ever. Neither Highlands nor Covington Catholic has ever dominated JC the way that Bell County did Friday night and Johnson Central did not play badly (as they did last season).

I am not saying that either Boyle o Bell would beat Highlands but they are both good enough to beat them on a given night. I hope that Johnson Central will be playing on that level by the time that the playoffs start but they need to find a little more offensive punch to keep their defense off the field longer if they are going to compete with Highlands.

What is it with some of you Highlands fans? It's not like you have won every playoff game 50-0. This is not Highlands' best team and stronger Highlands teams than this one have struggled in the playoffs on the way to a title.

I meant no disrespect in suggesting that there are several teams capable of beating Highlands on a given night but there is more than one team in the state that has a decent football team. Highlands will lose a title game eventually and pretending that a loss is impossible just makes you sound silly.
well I'm going to tell you how it is I have seen Bell and Boyle play there is no chance in h** that they would come with in 21 of the Birds!:ChairHit:
sstack Wrote:I, as well as the rest of the Highlands fans know we will lose a title game and even a playoff game eventually. I do not feel anybody is pretending a loss is impossible. Highlands is just on an incredible roll and the last 3 years has had very little competition in 5A. For some reason the belief around the state is that Highlands has had a big drop off this year in talent. The fact is, if you have watched Highlands over the last 4 years, the talent has not dropped. I feel like everybody is asking us to come on here and say that Highlands is only average this year and will be lucky to win a game in the playoffs. When Highlands is not head and shoulders above most 5A teams, I will be the first to admit it. But from everything I have seen this year, Highlands has picked right up where they left off last year and only getting better each week. Yes, anything could happen on any given night, but it is unlikely that many teams are going to hang with Highlands in the playoffs this year. I think JC might hang around for a half. CC and JH possibly for a half. And the biggest challenge looks to be BG(this could be a very good game from the little I have seen of BG at this time).
I Will tell you this Not in the next 3 years they will only get better we will play more of Ohio style football they will not be beaten by a KY team the next 3 years take it to the bank.:rockon:
To be the man you have to beat the man!:1:
Did I say I love this site. BGP would of banned me for what I had to say.
Good luck to the rest of the teams in the state you know my team.:Clap:
Of course a 5A team could! The Lakeland Dreadnaughts!

Oh, you mean in Kentucky? No.

Let's not forget Trinity was playing with their THIRD STRING quarterback in the game against Bowling Green. And still won. Most Kentucky HS teams' 3rd string QB's have trouble just taking a snap, much less winning a big game. While Bowling Green is undoubtedly a fine football team, they're not going to be much more than a snack for HHS. Trinity would be the best shot a KY team has of taking down HHS this year; beyond that, it'd be a considerable upset if any other team in KY beat them. And they're just getting better each game. That Eastern team that got shredded 55-0 today, the pretty decent 6A team with the UK recruit, ask them.

As for the 4A teams, HHS would eat Boyle County alive. Boyle's just not fast enough to stay on the field with the Birds, period. Bell County would be a more interesting matchup, but the Birds are just as fast - or faster - at every position, and they have unbelievable depth. Seen all three teams in person, and I base my opinion on what I've seen from each.

Right now, I'd take HHS as a two TD favorite (at least) over every other team in KY that isn't Trinity. Trust me, I'm not a Bird fan. I'd love to see somebody, anybody, take them down a few pegs. I just don't see it happening. They may be cocky, but it ain't braggin' if it's true.
mrb5150 Wrote:Bell or Boyle could not beat Withthrow bottom line.:lmao:

Why does Highlands play up in class?
To answer your question "Can any 5A team beat Highlands?" Probably not any team but there are 5A teams that could beat Highlands.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Why does Highlands play up in class?

In 3A they were geographically bound. No 3A schools in their district. 4A only had Cov. Cath. That is why both Cath. Cath. and Highlands were allow to move up to 5A so they could complete a district with Dixie and Scott.
If a person has never ate the dirt of Death Valley. If you've never shed sweat and blood at DCMS. It is impossible to fully understand why Highlands dominates. When you've been there you get a gut feeling about each new team. My guts tell me that this team can beat any team in this state, no matter what the class! I started listening late in the 1st. quarter,3-0 HHS. The radio man said Dale was giving a severe butt chewing to the boys! At that moment, I knew it was all over for Eastern! Birds 20n10!
The Birds defense is to good for a 5A team to beat them this year. Just ask the KY 2011 signee 6'4 230 plus running back that played for Eastern yesterday what he thinks. He took the physical beating of his football life yesterday.
tradition Wrote:In 3A they were geographically bound. No 3A schools in their district. 4A only had Cov. Cath. That is why both Cath. Cath. and Highlands were allow to move up to 5A so they could complete a district with Dixie and Scott.

4A teams travel distance from Highlands.
Harrison County 1 hour 16 min.
Pendleton County 1 hour 15 minutes
Bourbon County 1 hour 32 minutes.
New
Shelby County 1 hour 50 minutes
Collins 1 hour 50 minutes.

I fail to see the reason to play up due to being geographically bound. Highlands is listed as 4A numbers not 3A.
Bell Co. wouldnt beat Highlands. I doubt anyone in 5a can beat them
Benchwarmer Wrote:4A teams travel distance from Highlands.
Harrison County 1 hour 16 min.
Pendleton County 1 hour 15 minutes
Bourbon County 1 hour 32 minutes.
New
Shelby County 1 hour 50 minutes
Collins 1 hour 50 minutes.

I fail to see the reason to play up due to being geographically bound. [B]Highlands is listed as 4A numbers not 3A[/B].

The 4A numbers are the new alignment for next year. Highlands was 3A when they did the alignment 4 years ago . This is the final year in the 4 year alignment so they are still considered a 3A team playing in 5A this year. Next year if the new alignment is accepted Highlands will be a 4A school . The are going to probably stay in 4A because there is a district that would be made up of Highlands, Cov. Cath. Cooper, and maybe Holmes or Scott. Can't remember the last one.
Keep talking trash Highlands fan. It will come back and get you.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Keep talking trash Highlands fan. It will come back and get you.

What trash? I have done nothing but state facts. :HitWall:
tradition Wrote:What trash? I have done nothing but state facts. :HitWall:

I wasn't talking to you. mrb5150.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I wasn't talking to you. mrb5150.

Got it.

But maybe he was stating facts also.:biggrin:

j/k
Just having a little fun.Don't take it to the heart.:Thumbs:
tradition Wrote:Got it.

But maybe he was stating facts also.:biggrin:

j/k

I have no problem with you.
Wouldn't it be great if Highlands could play the best Looneyville, Lexington, Mountain teams every year, so we could lay some of this to rest. It would be a huge draw and very good for KY. football. 20n10!
Benchwarmer Wrote:Keep talking trash Highlands fan. It will come back and get you.
:Thumbs:The handful of arrogant Highlands fans is the reason that the program has so few supporters outside of the Fort Mitchell area. When Highlands does finally lose, whether it is this year or ten years from now, there will be more folks celebrating than have celebrated all of Highlands titles combined.
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs:The handful of arrogant Highlands fans is the reason that the program has so few supporters outside of the Fort Mitchell area. When Highlands does finally lose, whether it is this year or ten years from now, there will be more folks celebrating than have celebrated all of Highlands titles combined.

I guess you feel the same about Louisville St. X and Trinity also. Everyone hates a winner.:eyeroll:
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs:The handful of arrogant Highlands fans is the reason that the program has so few supporters outside of the Fort Mitchell area. When Highlands does finally lose, whether it is this year or ten years from now, there will be more folks celebrating than have celebrated all of Highlands titles combined.

I think that it's kind of natural that folks would be rooting against Highlands. I'm a fan and if I wasn't I'd be rooting against them as well. Any team that has won 50 out of their last 51 games you kinda hope will lose. I'd love to see the Connecticut girls basketball team lose, but like Highlands it might be a while before that happens. Oh I didn't know we even had supporters in Ft. Mitchell:biggrin: I'm starting to feel better already.
tradition Wrote:I guess you feel the same about Louisville St. X and Trinity also. Everyone hates a winner.:eyeroll:
Actually, I don't. Their fans seem to reserve their trash talking for each other, which is typical among rivals. Most Highlands fans do the same but the team seems to have more than its share of supporters who are far from gracious winners.

When Covington Catholic beat Johnson Central in 2006, the team and its supporters won over a lot of Johnson Countians with the way that they conducted themselves during the game and after the win. Consequently, most people from Johnson County have a very favorable opinion of Covington Catholic's program and its supporters.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next