Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence @ Verity
Tomcats Nation looks good for the future! Verity 7th and 8th take the championship!
Didnt GC 8th beat both of these teams? How were they not in the playoffs?
I think with all the stuff about coaches and kids getting hurt, injuries and boycott of games may have lead to the demise of the team for this year. I do know that they even got out of playing their final game.
Kosar Wrote:Didnt GC 8th beat both of these teams? How were they not in the playoffs?

Greenup did beat both Verity and Lawrence in the regular season. Lawrence was the only team in our conference to have only one conference loss so that automatically made them regular season champs and the host of the championship games. There were three teams in the conference that were tied with two conference losses each-Verity, Greenup, and Raceland. Verity lost to Lawrence and Greenup. Raceland lost to Lawrence and Verity. Greenup lost to Raceland and Boyd. So with the three way tie the conference tie breaker rule is that the team with the best defense (least amount of points scored on them during the season in conference games) is the number two team in the conference or the regular season runner up. Verity was the team that had the least amount of points scored against them in conference play.
Great layout on the playoffs. BUT the season winner Lawrence Co. was not the regular season champ, they just got home field advantage for the Championship game as the number 1 seed. So Verity is the Conference Champs and Lawrence Co. is the runner ups. If there was not a champioship game to be played then Lawrence Co would be the Champs and Verity would be the runner up. But great explanation for the playoff for second, That shouls clear up about 3 way tie for second.
Gatti-Ward Wrote:Greenup did beat both Verity and Lawrence in the regular season. Lawrence was the only team in our conference to have only one conference loss so that automatically made them regular season champs and the host of the championship games. There were three teams in the conference that were tied with two conference losses each-Verity, Greenup, and Raceland. Verity lost to Lawrence and Greenup. Raceland lost to Lawrence and Verity. Greenup lost to Raceland and Boyd. So with the three way tie the conference tie breaker rule is that the team with the best defense (least amount of points scored on them during the season in conference games) is the number two team in the conference or the regular season runner up. Verity was the team that had the least amount of points scored against them in conference play.
If that is the tie breaker then teams who play a tough schedule are at a big disadvantage. I dont like it.
ManofGOD Wrote:Great layout on the playoffs. BUT the season winner Lawrence Co. was not the regular season champ, they just got home field advantage for the Championship game as the number 1 seed. So Verity is the Conference Champs and Lawrence Co. is the runner ups. If there was not a champioship game to be played then Lawrence Co would be the Champs and Verity would be the runner up. But great explanation for the playoff for second, That shouls clear up about 3 way tie for second.

Thanks. The system confused nearly everyone involved so an explanation was probably much needed to avoid misconceptions. I did think that the conference differentiated between regular season winner and overall NEKC champs (seems like I saw it on a T-shirt or school site), but maybe I'm mistaken on that.
Kosar Wrote:If that is the tie breaker then teams who play a tough schedule are at a big disadvantage. I dont like it.

All the teams play each other. They are all facing the same competition. It is only based on conference games. The points scored against a team in non-conference play does not factor in the tie breaker.
ManofGOD Wrote:I think with all the stuff about coaches and kids getting hurt, injuries and boycott of games may have lead to the demise of the team for this year. I do know that they even got out of playing their final game.

I think your right about the coaches deciding not to play or not submitting what was required to compete in the playoffs. GC 8th did play their final game beating Rowan Co. at Rowan Co. The only game that was not played was the Johnson Central game that some parents opposed the travel and was cancelled. Thats part of the reason why only about half the team travelled the next weekend to SV.

GC finished 5-3 on the year. Played 7 playoff teams in 8 games going 4-3 in those games with wins over Verity, Lawrence Co., Fleming Co., and Rowan Co. (all playoff teams). Losses were to Raceland, Shelby Valley, and Boyd Co. (all playoff teams). They beat East Carter 48-0 which was the ony non playoff team game that they had.

Big Congrats to Verity for their Conf. Championship and to Lawrence Co. for having a great season! Both have very good teams.
Steelermatt Wrote:I think your right about the coaches deciding not to play or not submitting what was required to compete in the playoffs. GC 8th did play their final game beating Rowan Co. at Rowan Co. The only game that was not played was the Johnson Central game that some parents opposed the travel and was cancelled. Thats part of the reason why only about half the team travelled the next weekend to SV.

GC finished 5-3 on the year. Played 7 playoff teams in 8 games going 4-3 in those games with wins over Verity, Lawrence Co., Fleming Co., and Rowan Co. (all playoff teams). Losses were to Raceland, Shelby Valley, and Boyd Co. (all playoff teams). They beat East Carter 48-0 which was the ony non playoff team game that they had.

Big Congrats to Verity for their Conf. Championship and to Lawrence Co. for having a great season! Both have very good teams.

Thank you for the congrats. The championship game was one of the best games I have seen. Ever. On any level. Fantastic effort from both teams.

Not all of the teams you mentioned are NEKC teams though they may all be competing in the KMSFA state playoffs. The two are totally separate. Our conference(the NEKC) includes: Verity, Boyd, Greenup, East Carter, Raceland, and Lawrence. West Carter dropped out of the conference this year. Fleming, Rowan, Shelby Valley, and Johnson Central are all in different conferences and have their own conference championships.
Thanks Matt for the follow up, I forgot about the Rowan Co game. Thought you were suppose to play another game, but then again I was mis informed. Thanks again for a great season from Greenup and I hope that all is well with you and your boy!!!! Love ya.
Gatti-Ward Wrote:Thank you for the congrats. The championship game was one of the best games I have seen. Ever. On any level. Fantastic effort from both teams.

Not all of the teams you mentioned are NEKC teams though they may all be competing in the KMSFA state playoffs. The two are totally separate. Our conference(the NEKC) includes: Verity, Boyd, Greenup, East Carter, Raceland, and Lawrence. West Carter dropped out of the conference this year. Fleming, Rowan, Shelby Valley, and Johnson Central are all in different conferences and have their own conference championships.

Sorry about that, i meant KYMSFA playoff teams when refering to teams in the playoffs that we had played regardless of their conference. From our NEKC, Verity, Raceland and Boyd Co. will be representing in the KYMSFA playoffs. Hopefully they all do well. The NEKC was pretty strong and very balanced this year.
Steelermatt Wrote:Sorry about that, i meant KYMSFA playoff teams when refering to teams in the playoffs that we had played regardless of their conference. From our NEKC, Verity, Raceland and Boyd Co. will be representing in the KYMSFA playoffs. Hopefully they all do well. The NEKC was pretty strong and very balanced this year.

Totally agree. Also feel it is a shame GC had so much conflict and controversey right in the middle of their season. They have a very strong and talented team that I think would have done well in the KYMSFA playoffs. Good luck to those boys as highschool players.
Gatti-Ward Wrote:Greenup did beat both Verity and Lawrence in the regular season. Lawrence was the only team in our conference to have only one conference loss so that automatically made them regular season champs and the host of the championship games. There were three teams in the conference that were tied with two conference losses each-Verity, Greenup, and Raceland. Verity lost to Lawrence and Greenup. Raceland lost to Lawrence and Verity. Greenup lost to Raceland and Boyd. So with the three way tie the conference tie breaker rule is that the team with the best defense (least amount of points scored on them during the season in conference games) is the number two team in the conference or the regular season runner up. Verity was the team that had the least amount of points scored against them in conference play.

That is correct.