Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Team Thread
Stardust Wrote:I can't beleive this to be true. There is no possible way the UK would not have known that this young man played professional basketball. To think that this could have "slipped by" is just not feasible, thus I can't see that the Cats would have made an offer to a player who could possibly have elligibility problems.

According to the Courier-Journal, Kanter played in a professional league in Turkey when he was 16. It also states that he never signed a contract.
Stardust Wrote:I can't beleive this to be true. There is no possible way the UK would not have known that this young man played professional basketball. To think that this could have "slipped by" is just not feasible, thus I can't see that the Cats would have made an offer to a player who could possibly have elligibility problems.

Cal would make an offer to Kobe if he thought no one would notice lol
Jarons Wrote:According to the Courier-Journal, Kanter played in a professional league in Turkey when he was 16. It also states that he never signed a contract.

I'm pretty sure that the rule stats you can't play for money OR play for a team that had other players making money.
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm pretty sure that the rule stats you can't play for money OR play for a team that had other players making money.

Either way, Calipari is working in the gray area in this situation with Kanter.
Jarons Wrote:Either way, Calipari is working in the gray area in this situation with Kanter.

Definitely.
And this was wellknown around the time he was offered.
They were talking about it at the Jordan Brand Classic.
He didn't play in it, but this was a topic of conversation.
Kanter will play, I'm sure Cal has looked under every rock and made sure that there will not be any problem with getting him eligible.
Ballers Wrote:Kanter will play, I'm sure Cal has looked under every rock and made sure that there will not be any problem with getting him eligible.

i bet he did, the NCAA is cracking down on that stuff.
UK knew Kanter played pro ball. The only thing is, he didn't get paid to do so. Because of this, he should be cleared to play unless someone has proof that money exchanged hands.

zaga_fan Wrote:I'm pretty sure that the rule stats you can't play for money OR play for a team that had other players making money.

This rule has since been changed. Players are allowed to play on teams with others making money as long as they were not making money. That is the question the NCAA is trying to find an answer to.
Ballers Wrote:Kanter will play, I'm sure Cal has looked under every rock and made sure that there will not be any problem with getting him eligible.

I'm sure....
Cal's never played an ineligible player before :eyeroll:
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm sure....
Cal's never played an ineligible player before :eyeroll:

LOL shut up.
Here's an article from Mr. Vitale. It's called "Calipari's critics should wait and see". Here's the article:

------------------------------------------------------------
I know this is the time that John Calipari bashers are coming out of the woodwork.

Let's face reality. The anti-Calipari people are ready to unload, feeling they have ammunition with the revelation that Memphis could be punished for violations during the 2007-08 season.

Wait a minute, my friends. Before we pass on any indictment of Calipari or the Memphis program, let it all play out. Find out how much Calipari was involved before drawing any conclusions.

There were recent rumors and reports that Derrick Rose, the star diaper dandy who led the Tigers to the championship game in San Antonio in 2008 allegedly had someone else take his SAT for him.

That is a rumor, rumor, rumor. It all has to play out and Memphis will hear the charges against them from the NCAA investigation.

I know there will be those crying that Calipari was at Massachusetts when the school got in trouble for the Marcus Camby situation. The NCAA forced the school to take down the Final Four banner, and wins leading up to and including that special time were vacated. Camby's violation dealt with his activity with an agent and Calipari was cleared of any wrongdoing with that mess.

I agree, a coach has to be on top of things happening with his program. He must be held accountable for the actions of his players.

In breaking this scenario down, you have to understand that when a coach deals with high-profile kids, student-athletes of that nature often have an entourage along for the ride. Members of their group often lead to major issues.

There is a dilemma as you make concessions in the recruiting world. These superstar players often have family members going to that city and being part of the circus-like atmosphere.

Derrick Rose's brother travelled in Memphis' circles. He often used his own credit card, which was legal. Then $2,000 in bills were not paid. There could have been a bookkeeping error.

I am telling you, these situations lead to problems.

It is a concern that is driving many coaches wacky. The high-profile recruit with the borderline academic background has that group giving him direction and ideas how to become eligible. It leads to problems, problems, problems.

As a side note, I find it hard to believe that Memphis did not tell new coach Josh Pastner about the pending investigation.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. All of the anti-Calipari people are screaming that Kentucky made a mistake with its coaching hire.

Let it all play out. Time will tell.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvital...id=4222275
Bump.

I thought of bumping this thread for discussion about the University of Kentucky.
Bump.

This is a really nice thread to talk about topics for the University of Kentucky! Smile
Bump.

Have we stopped using this thread? Sad
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Bump.

Have we stopped using this thread? Sad

the problem with this thread is lazy people like me dont want to go searching in another thread for a certain topic. We like the big bold letters and a new thread.