Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Prestonsburg "Food City" "Summer Slam"
Volleyball is ready to start (July 15th official practice date). Thought I would share this years 20 team field for the 3rd annual tourney hosted by Prestonsburg.

Prestonsburg (host)
Betsy Layne (defending champ.)
Allen Central (15th state tourney rep. last yr.)
South Floyd
Ashland ( 16th state tourney rep. last yr.)
Southwestern (12th state tourney rep. last yr.)
South Laurel (13th state tourney rep. last yr.)
Belfry
Rowan Co.
GRC (Clark Co.)
Middlesboro
Pikeville
East Ridge
Powell Co.
Perry Co. Central
Pike Co. Central
Lawrence Co.
Paintsville
Greenup Co.
Hazard

Come out Aug. 13th & 14th and watch some pretty good volleyball.
Any predictions?
Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Laurel, and Southwestern all can win it. The winner will come from one of these teams.
Should have asked on the last post. Is this considered a real game that will be conted in your won lost record or is this just a scrimmage? Are games played and scored like in the regular season?
According to the pre-season rankings by KVCA, the tourney will have 4 pre-season #1 teams playing. This is probably the strongest field in the 3yrs. of the tourney.
#1's are :
Allen Cent. #1 in 15th & 25th overall in state (congrats)
Ashland #1 in 16th
Southwestern #1 in 12th
South Laurel #1 in 13th
The top 5 pre-season 15th region teams are playing,also Rowan Co.,Middlesboro,Powell Co. are ranked for the pre-season
UK Fan14 Wrote:According to the pre-season rankings by KVCA, the tourney will have 4 pre-season #1 teams playing. This is probably the strongest field in the 3yrs. of the tourney.
#1's are :
Allen Cent. #1 in 15th & 25th overall in state (congrats)
Ashland #1 in 16th
Southwestern #1 in 12th
South Laurel #1 in 13th
The top 5 pre-season 15th region teams are playing,also Rowan Co.,Middlesboro,Powell Co. are ranked for the pre-season

Where do you find these rankings?
The KVCA.
Does anyone know the schedule for this weekend?
PhelpsKY Wrote:Where do you find these rankings?
http://www.eteamz.com/kvca/index.cfm?
Who has a vote in these polls? Coaches who attended the meeting prior during the BGSG? Where the coaches who did not attend this meeting allowed a proxy to vote for their team?
UKSLAMDUNK Wrote:Who has a vote in these polls? Coaches who attended the meeting prior during the BGSG? Where the coaches who did not attend this meeting allowed a proxy to vote for their team?
Sorry about the grammar.

Who has a vote in these polls? Coaches who attended the meeting prior or during the BGSG? Were the coaches in this organization who did not attend this meeting, or have a team in the games allowed a proxy to vote for their team?
i think it is a shame that prestonsburg or allen central didn't have the decency to invite piarists school to play in either tourney considering they are only a few miles from either school to me that is a shame maybe they felt it could be a little competion it's ok though we will play in the county shame on you p-burg and allen central
basketball fan2010 Wrote:i think it is a shame that prestonsburg or allen central didn't have the decency to invite piarists school to play in either tourney considering they are only a few miles from either school to me that is a shame maybe they felt it could be a little competion it's ok though we will play in the county shame on you p-burg and allen central

You need to get your facts straight before making any comments on P'burg's tourney.

Fact is Piarist was invited and accepted.
Fact is Piarist got the tourney schedule and then they dropped out.
Fact is they were replaced and the tourney went on.

Can't speak for Allen Central's pre-season event but I'd bet that they were invited as well.
no you need to get your facts right piarist was invited and did not drop out we were kicked out or uninvited which ever you want to call it piarist has never dropped out of a tourney but it makes no difference we will still will play in the county
basketball fan2010 Wrote:no you need to get your facts right piarist was invited and did not drop out we were kicked out or uninvited which ever you want to call it piarist has never dropped out of a tourney but it makes no difference we will still will play in the county
I've got the facts, and matter of fact I've got the e-mail saved from Piarist's AD saying that Piarist could not play in our tourney due to a illness in Darlene's family. She would be out of town or with the family.
i would like to see the email i know for a fact that darlene would have been at the tourney, or she would have sent her assistant coach to take her place
basketball fan2010 Wrote:i would like to see the email i know for a fact that darlene would have been at the tourney, or she would have sent her assistant coach to take her place
No problem, I've got it........ Ask Kevin Tackett (your AD) to show you the e-mail, he's the one who sent it. Also tell him to produce the e-mail that was sent with Piarist's tourney schedule on it. They were in a pool with Betsy Layne, South Laurel, East Ridge & Powell Co.(who took Bell Co.'s place, they dropped out a couple days before Piarist), Pike Co. Cent then took Piarist place to complete the pool.
Don't worry, I'll see him tonight and I'll tell him to "produce".
wildcatfan99 Wrote:Should have asked on the last post. Is this considered a real game that will be conted in your won lost record or is this just a scrimmage? Are games played and scored like in the regular season?

Yes, all matches played in the tourney are considered for season records. The tourney counts as one of three tournaments each volleyball team is allowed to have during regular season. The tourneys count as one date. All schools are allowed 20 dates of which three can be tourneys. Conference teams playing each other in a tourney, such as this or the All 'A' does not count toward the conference record, such as Allen Central versus Betsy Layne or Betsy Layne versus South Floyd or South Floyd versus Prestonsburg or Prestonsburg versus Piarist, etc. If you go on the KHSAA Riherd's Scoreboard, click on the school you want to view, and you will see that all matches played in the tourney count toward their seasonal record. There are no 'scrimmages' after the first day of the season begins and that was August 9th. Smile
UKSLAMDUNK Wrote:Sorry about the grammar.

Who has a vote in these polls? Coaches who attended the meeting prior or during the BGSG? Were the coaches in this organization who did not attend this meeting, or have a team in the games allowed a proxy to vote for their team?

All coaches who are members of the KVCA receive a ballot via email, they vote, and either email or fax it back to KVCA. All coaches are asked to join the KVCA and if they don't they are doing a grave injustice to their teams, their players, and their schools. The KVCA gets email addresses for the coaches and send out emails asking them to join and, also mail letters to each school that has a volleyball program. There are no proxy votes because there are no meetings to cast a ballot; it is all done by email and faxing. Other than having to pay the fee to be a member of the KVCA, there is no reason a coach should not join in order to better their sport.
basketball fan2010 Wrote:i think it is a shame that prestonsburg or allen central didn't have the decency to invite piarists school to play in either tourney considering they are only a few miles from either school to me that is a shame maybe they felt it could be a little competion it's ok though we will play in the county shame on you p-burg and allen central

I do not know the source of your information but it is WRONG!

During the February - March time frame, scheduling for the upcoming season is done in earnest. It is during that time that Allen Central sends out a reminder via email about the pre-season tournament to all coaches, ADs, and Principals stating when the preseason tourney / referee clinic will be held and they are asked to respond if they are interested in participating (at the same time, they are asked to confirm the dates for regular season matches). Remember, there is no entrance fee for this tournament so there are always plenty of respondents. 14 schools showed interest and one school dropped out a week before the scheduled date. If they did not respond it is believed that they do not want to participate, then they are not included in the preseason tourney. Another school, out of county and region, asked if they could participate five days prior and they were accommodated. The regular season dates with Piarist were confirmed and adjusted as needed (Piarist does not have air conditioning) which indicates to me that Piarist received the invitation via email. Fact is if Piarist wanted to be in it, they would have been.

On a side note, I was dismayed to see several Piarist players cheering against Allen Central in every game they played at the Food City Tourney, which includes teams outside of the county. Conference rivalry is a good thing but Allen Central players are strongly encouraged to cheer for in-county/in-district teams when playing teams outside the district.

There is some serious misinformation being given to you and your players. Good luck in your season. Smile
Great Volleyball Tournament again held in Prestonsburg All the teams had a great two days of volleyball and it was some of the best games in the area. Too bad Piarist High School once again decided not to play in these games. it would be a great time for the Piarist players but maybe next year girl's your coach will take you
my child plays for piarist and most of the girls from ac are her really good friends as is south floyd and it is a shame that they have to play with no air conditioner but they get no money from the county or state and they live with it so don't down them cause they don't have one that is in very bad taste of you to even say that those girls play with all heart and do what they have to to be able to play but it is ok because what goes around comes around and i hope i will be there to see...cause what you think means nothing to me or the players...and i wish you the best too
piarist does not have ac..but they live with it cause they love the game...my child plays for piarist and some of her best friends are from allen central and south floyd...our school gets no money from the state or county as do all the other schools...and what does no ac have to do with the tourney at p-burg????...nothing as usual...our kids go for a good education and can play volleyball and basketball...so don't hate on them...p-burg is no better than what u said piarist girls did...and i have messages from some of those girls to my daughter...but i don't really care...but i wish the best to you all too
wayward Wrote:Great Volleyball Tournament again held in Prestonsburg All the teams had a great two days of volleyball and it was some of the best games in the area. Too bad Piarist High School once again decided not to play in these games. it would be a great time for the Piarist players but maybe next year girl's your coach will take you

think what you may cause it only makes our girls better..by the way the girls did play in the tourney last year...maybe next year the girls will not want to play with people like this
basketball fan2010 Wrote:my child plays for piarist and most of the girls from ac are her really good friends as is south floyd and it is a shame that they have to play with no air conditioner but they get no money from the county or state and they live with it so don't down them cause they don't have one that is in very bad taste of you to even say that those girls play with all heart and do what they have to to be able to play but it is ok because what goes around comes around and i hope i will be there to see...cause what you think means nothing to me or the players...and i wish you the best too

There was no disrespect to the girls or Piarist, the Piarist AD had the good sense to request all matches in the first of the season (August) be played in gyms with air conditioning. Allen Central concurred with the Piarist request and flip-flopped its scheduled matches. As you must be aware, Piarist is a PRIVATE school, which means they do not get Public funding. They have to request and apply for grants to get funding.

If you have any more questions, please ask and I will be more than happy to find answers for you but please stop insinuating that it is everyone else's fault because your team didn't participate in the preseason or Food City Tourneys.
basketball fan2010 Wrote:piarist does not have ac..but they live with it cause they love the game...my child plays for piarist and some of her best friends are from allen central and south floyd...our school gets no money from the state or county as do all the other schools...and what does no ac have to do with the tourney at p-burg????...nothing as usual...our kids go for a good education and can play volleyball and basketball...so don't hate on them...p-burg is no better than what u said piarist girls did...and i have messages from some of those girls to my daughter...but i don't really care...but i wish the best to you all too

Why do you believe that anyone hates Piarist and their kids? That just seems unbelievable and does not pass the common sense test! The air conditioning has nothing to do with the tourneys. The point was, your school was aware of the preseason tourney at Allen Central because they responded to the regular season scheduling email with a request that the first game be played at Allen Central because there was no air conditioning at Piarist.
Go ACHS volleyball!! If it really all about the girls and not the parents and who's in charge or the who is the best then u need to keep your mouth shut and play the game that's what ACHS does!!!!
It was a great tournament. Prestonsburg needs to be commended for it. Congrats to AC. Everyone played hard and there was some great volleyball played. It showed how far eastern ky volleyball has come. This years 15th regional champs could be anybody. It will be a very interesting season.
canudiggit Wrote:Go ACHS volleyball!! If it really all about the girls and not the parents and who's in charge or the who is the best then u need to keep your mouth shut and play the game that's what ACHS does!!!!
i am a grown woman and i keep my mouth shut when i feel the need....and the girls do play the game, the same as achs does...no one tells me when to keep my mouth shut...