Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Cubs' Lou Pinella To Retire At End Of Seas
CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced Tuesday that he will retire at the end of the season, ending a storied and often colorful career that included 18 years in the majors as a player and another 22 as a manager.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=5395615
Ryne Sandberg, manager of Triple-A Iowa: The Cubs Hall of Fame second baseman has done his due diligence by managing four years in the minor leagues. He appears ready to take the next step. Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said "guys like Ryno will be considered."

Joe Girardi, New York Yankees manager:
He is under contract through the end of the season. He is a former Cubs player and was interviewed for the job before the Cubs hired Piniella. He still has many ties to the Chicago area, including owning property, and his wife is from the area.

*he's already said The Cubs Would Be A Great Place To Coach*

Pat Listach, Washington Nationals third base coach:
He spent many years in the Cubs organization, as well as coaching on the big-league level. He’s highly thought of in the Cubs franchise.

Alan Trammell, Cubs bench coach:
He’s been Piniella’s bench coach for the last four years. He has a great reputation. He’s the Detroit Tigers’ former manager and has helped young Cubs infielders improve defensively.

Greg Maddux, special assistant to general manager Jim Hendry:
He’s thought of as one of the best baseball brains in the business. Maddux told me after his number was retired at Wrigley Field two years ago that he would consider managing in the future, but he wasn’t ready at that particular time.

Bob Brenly, Cubs television color analyst:
He has one of the sweetest jobs in all of sports. He’s making $1 million per season as arguably one of the top analysts in baseball. The question is whether Brenly – who managed the Arizona Diamondbacks to the 2001 World Series title - would even consider taking the job. Cubs GM Jim Hendry and owner Tom Ricketts will have to decide what direction the team is going. Brenly, like any veteran former manager, would want to know what's going to happen with some of the Cubs’ veteran players who are on the downside of their careers. "I have no comment on the situation," Brenly said. "If and when a job becomes available, I’m sure it will be handled in a proper way. Did you ask the other analysts if they want the job? Did anyone ask Ronny [Santo]? I have a job."

Joe Torre, Los Angeles Dodgers manager:
He has told people close to him this most likely will be his last year with the Dodgers. Like Piniella, Torre has a veteran presence and a winning background.

Tony LaRussa, St. Louis Cardinals manager:
He has his own option on a contract for 2011. No one is more esteemed or credentialed than LaRussa, although he’s been prone to staying with smaller market clubs with less media attention. He loves challenges, so a job with the Cubs would be intriguing.

*Don't See Tony Leaving The Cardinals*

Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves manager:
He has said he will not be back as manager of the Braves, and he most likely would retire. But I’m telling you that approached in a proper manner, Cox would manage the Chicago Cubs. He’s still a lively guy and would probably be a big favorite in Chicago.

i hope its either Joe Giradi, Bobby Cox or Joe Torre

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/pos...bs-manager
The Only Names That Are Being Mentioned By ESPN Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight are Ryan Sandberg, Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa
I don't watch baseball very much and I've only been paying a little bit of attention just recently. From what I've saw, I consider Joe Torre as one of the best managers in baseball if not the best.
I think this was coming for a while. I know that Sweet Lou has been getting a lot of grief from the fans in Chi. But I would say that his age is pushing him to more than anything.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]