Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Orton wishes he had chosen Kansas over Kentucky
Stardust Wrote:Lol, when Orton was at UK, people loved him. As soon as he says something contrary, he is garbage.

:Thumbs:
Aslan Wrote::Thumbs:

He wasnt talking all this **** while he was here tho either. Orton isnt garbage (well maybe morally, lmao)
Reanimate Wrote:He wasnt talking all this **** while he was here tho either. Orton isnt garbage (well maybe morally, lmao)

And I doubt very seriously that he would have talked crap when he was here. I certainly am not going to tell the company that I work at that I hate it here until I have a viable 2nd job option.....
Stardust Wrote:And I doubt very seriously that he would have talked crap when he was here. I certainly am not going to tell the company that I work at that I hate it here until I have a viable 2nd job option.....

Seems orton just got jealous that they was a better big man on campus. His dad put some ideas in his head and the kid is following his dream. O well.
Stardust Wrote:Lol, when Orton was at UK, people loved him. As soon as he says something contrary, he is garbage.

People have opinions and opinions change.
I really never would have expected my opinion to waver on this young man. But after having the option to go some where else to play evenl after a committment (CBG firing and Cal's hiring) he has no one else but himself t point fingers at. He knew going in after the commitments settled from Wall and Cousins that he would not longer be the main center option, mix that with his ability to never take advantage of his playing time in the games and then he can just look in mirror. Add that to the horrible situation that brought up for UK by not finishing out his college year and failing every class and then you have a kid that has let his public image suffer more than I could have ever imagined. Good luck to Mr Orton, but do not ever think that you have a warm welcome waitong for you back in Rupp.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I really never would have expected my opinion to waver on this young man. But after having the option to go some where else to play evenl after a committment (CBG firing and Cal's hiring) he has no one else but himself t point fingers at. He knew going in after the commitments settled from Wall and Cousins that he would not longer be the main center option, mix that with his ability to never take advantage of his playing time in the games and then he can just look in mirror. Add that to the horrible situation that brought up for UK by not finishing out his college year and failing every class and then you have a kid that has let his public image suffer more than I could have ever imagined. Good luck to Mr Orton, but do not ever think that you have a warm welcome waitong for you back in Rupp.

BS, if he came to Walmart in Pikeville you would be there to get his autograph.
PC_You_Know Wrote:BS, if he came to Walmart in Pikeville you would be there to get his autograph.

I would... I did lose a lot of respect for him when I heard about the KU thing... I have to say I hope he does well in the NBA, and I love the team he is on.. I will be cheering for him and the Magic. Also very surprised that he got drafted as high as he did. Congrats to him on that.
I respect Ortons opinion, I dont think there is anything wrong with what he said at all. I think most of us would have said the same thing. I'd say Orton came to UK to hopefully win a champion and not to mention its the best basketball school in the nation but after looking back that didnt happen so he says he wished he would have picked another maybe for more playing time, nothing wrong with that at all. I think Orton will have a fine NBA career. Im actually shocked he didnt go higher. Good Luck Big D.
PC_You_Know Wrote:BS, if he came to Walmart in Pikeville you would be there to get his autograph.

Wow man, I didnt know you knew me better than myself. After the stunt that he pulled saying to the fans that he was out in California finishing up the year online, I think that a lot of people would agree with me in saying that his respect is close to being gone. I respect his opinion about regretting not going to KU and I do not fault him for saying that in retrospect but he saw the writing on the wall with Cousins coming in and did not waver from his commitment (which was extremely honorable). But after showing his displeasure with the year and school by not going to class and finishing out the year with E s in every class, he obviously showed he didnt care, which is not the right way to do it. The young man has a good head on his shoulders and will always have a supportive dad, but he made some odd, and inconsiderate decisions after the season that the fanbase has the right to be mad about. Im sorry to bust your bubble but Daniel would not be on the top of my list autographs to get.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Wow man, I didnt know you knew me better than myself. After the stunt that he pulled saying to the fans that he was out in California finishing up the year online, I think that a lot of people would agree with me in saying that his respect is close to being gone. I respect his opinion about regretting not going to KU and I do not fault him for saying that in retrospect but he saw the writing on the wall with Cousins coming in and did not waver from his commitment (which was extremely honorable). But after showing his displeasure with the year and school by not going to class and finishing out the year with E s in every class, he obviously showed he didnt care, which is not the right way to do it. The young man has a good head on his shoulders and will always have a supportive dad, but he made some odd, and inconsiderate decisions after the season that the fanbase has the right to be mad about. Im sorry to bust your bubble but Daniel would not be on the top of my list autographs to get.

You didn't bust my bubble, and he doesn't have to be at the top of your list, but you would be there. You go to every other UK thing, getting every autograph, why wouldn't you go get his?

But, it doesn't matter, he'll never come to Pikeville, and I stand by my statement that you would go, I won't continue to argue about it.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You didn't bust my bubble, and he doesn't have to be at the top of your list, but you would be there. You go to every other UK thing, getting every autograph, why wouldn't you go get his?

But, it doesn't matter, he'll never come to Pikeville, and I stand by my statement that you would go, I won't continue to argue about it.

Sure thing man. I think you probably should know that I did not get ONE autograph from last years players and I go to school there, stay for the post games and yes even go to class with them. SO!! I really do not know how you got this sense of what kind of UK fan I am but I can tell you one thing, I support my team as much as I can but getting an autograph does not help me sleep at night. Think would what you want. :Thumbs:

Anyways back on topic, I wish Daniel Orton the absolute best in the NBA and hope that he is able to make the most of time on the Magic.
[SIZE="4"]

Well of course the UK fans' opinions of him changed. Why wouldn't they?

Say you were friends with someone, who then moved away to a different city. Then, you found out they were telling people that they never really liked you after all, and wished you had never been friends in the first place. That wouldn't change your opinion of that person?

I don't hold a grudge against Orton, and I'm not hoping he will fail in the NBA. But I'm not going to root for him like I will all the other ex-Cats, either.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Speaking of Orton, I am still in shock that a team would waste a first-round pick on him. Although, at least he didn't go as high as some draft experts had predicted a few weeks ago. I can't believe there were actually people who had him going higher than Patterson!

By the way, this has nothing to do with Orton's recent comments. I had said back when the whispers of him turning pro first surfaced, that I couldn't believe there was actually interest from NBA teams in him. Apparently pro teams are more impressed with a 3 ppg, foul-plagued, goaltending machine than I was.

Yes, I realize Orton has an NBA body, and I don't doubt that he may some day be a serviceable backup big man. But he is very raw, and will take a few years to develop. Which is why I didn't understand why he was drafted. By the time he has matured into a decent pro, he will have played out his rookie contract and be able to sign with another team. Then what gain is there for the team that drafts and develops him?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ I would like to go on record and say that I really liked Daniel Orton's time spent at UK. he chose to come here and I felt he gave the best effort that he could while he was here. He was not as talented as Cousins, but not many players were. The young man showed tremendous potential and certainly had signs that his best basketball days are ahead of him. He was a huge part of this program being as successful as they were. He covered many minutes on the floor for the Cats due to Cousins inability to keep himself on the floor. Orton displayed dominance in the paint from a defensive standpoint and that defeense was sorely needed at times. I would take Orton as my first big man off the bench any day in comparison to the other options that we had. I for one am grateful to the young man and hope that he further develops his game and makes a lot of money in the future.
Stardust Wrote:^ I would like to go on record and say that I really liked Daniel Orton's time spent at UK. he chose to come here and I felt he gave the best effort that he could while he was here. He was not as talented as Cousins, but not many players were. The young man showed tremendous potential and certainly had signs that his best basketball days are ahead of him. He was a huge part of this program being as successful as they were. He covered many minutes on the floor for the Cats due to Cousins inability to keep himself on the floor. Orton displayed dominance in the paint from a defensive standpoint and that defeense was sorely needed at times. I would take Orton as my first big man off the bench any day in comparison to the other options that we had. I for one am grateful to the young man and hope that he further develops his game and makes a lot of money in the future.

I'm not trying to imply that Orton didn't give full effort, or that he didn't contribute to this team. He did, and he was a good player to bring in off the bench. But that's just it. He was a bench player for a college team, who is suddenly good enough to warrant a first-round NBA draft choice? I don't see it.

As you said yourself, Orton had tremendous potential, and his best basketball days were ahead of him. My follow-up to that is he should have stayed in school and improved his skills. His defense was above-average for a college big man, although he displayed both a tendency to earn goaltending calls, as well as an inability to stay out of foul trouble. However, Orton's offense was extremely raw, consisting mainly of putbacks and the occasional open dunk. He displayed virtually no post moves, such that when he made a nice move late in one of the late-season games, I was equally excited and shocked. While it would be unfair to compare him to Cousins (as Daniel's father inexplicably seems to want to do), the minutes he did see on the floor made it quite clear that he was strictly a backup at that time. He would have been better served to stay another year or two to work on improving as a player.

Once again, I don't hold a grudge against Orton. I feel I'm being very objective in my assessment of him, since I felt the same way about it even before the other stuff came out. But his actions since March have certainly soured me on Orton as a Wildcat. The worst part was dropping out of classes and likely causing UK to face scholarship reductions. Contrast that with Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe, who all faced the same situation yet did not choose a course of action that could potentially harm their former school. The recent comments about wishing he had not come to UK are just the icing on the cake.

Once again, no ill will, I hope Daniel develops into a solid pro. But I, for one, will not be following his career the same way I will for Wall, Pat, Cuz, and Bledsoe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not trying to imply that Orton didn't give full effort, or that he didn't contribute to this team. He did, and he was a good player to bring in off the bench. But that's just it. He was a bench player for a college team, who is suddenly good enough to warrant a first-round NBA draft choice? I don't see it.

As you said yourself, Orton had tremendous potential, and his best basketball days were ahead of him. My follow-up to that is he should have stayed in school and improved his skills. His defense was above-average for a college big man, although he displayed both a tendency to earn goaltending calls, as well as an inability to stay out of foul trouble. However, Orton's offense was extremely raw, consisting mainly of putbacks and the occasional open dunk. He displayed virtually no post moves, such that when he made a nice move late in one of the late-season games, I was equally excited and shocked. While it would be unfair to compare him to Cousins (as Daniel's father inexplicably seems to want to do), the minutes he did see on the floor made it quite clear that he was strictly a backup at that time. He would have been better served to stay another year or two to work on improving as a player.

Once again, I don't hold a grudge against Orton. I feel I'm being very objective in my assessment of him, since I felt the same way about it even before the other stuff came out. But his actions since March have certainly soured me on Orton as a Wildcat. The worst part was dropping out of classes and likely causing UK to face scholarship reductions. Contrast that with Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe, who all faced the same situation yet did not choose a course of action that could potentially harm their former school. The recent comments about wishing he had not come to UK are just the icing on the cake.

Once again, no ill will, I hope Daniel develops into a solid pro. But I, for one, will not be following his career the same way I will for Wall, Pat, Cuz, and Bledsoe.

Good post :Thumbs:

Didn't necessarily mean to challenge your post but to take a different stance.
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not trying to imply that Orton didn't give full effort, or that he didn't contribute to this team. He did, and he was a good player to bring in off the bench. But that's just it. He was a bench player for a college team, who is suddenly good enough to warrant a first-round NBA draft choice? I don't see it.

Great post!!! I think that Orton was one of the most mature and mannerly players on the team last year. He always seemed to have his head on straight as most fans will say, he made some inconsiderate choices and really showed that he did not care about the school in the long run. It is a shame but that is how it played out. I do wish him the best in the NBA.
[SIZE="4"]
MVP2 Wrote:I respect Ortons opinion, I dont think there is anything wrong with what he said at all. I think most of us would have said the same thing. I'd say Orton came to UK to hopefully win a champion and not to mention its the best basketball school in the nation but after looking back that didnt happen so he says he wished he would have picked another maybe for more playing time, nothing wrong with that at all. I think Orton will have a fine NBA career. Im actually shocked he didnt go higher. Good Luck Big D.

:Thumbs:
I think Ortons going to shock some people and have an excellent career.
It doesn't really matter wish one kansas or kentucky, he would have been the back up at both but at kansas he would have went home in the 2nd round to Northen Iowa.
I'm thankful for Daniel & his ignoranus father Larry. Without them we couldn't have made draft history. In all seriousness I hope it works out for him not can I blame them. Unhappy & bad knees take the money while its there.
Wow, my computer has been down for a couple weeks and I've missed a lot.

After reading all this about Orton, I'm glad he's gone. That's a lot of attitude that could potentially hurt the team if he had stayed.

I have always thought that Orton should have stayed, but had Cousins not been here, he would have had better stats and probably gone earlier in the draft.

Still, I don't like the bridges he's burning with UK. Not finishing classes and now this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Wow, my computer has been down for a couple weeks and I've missed a lot.

After reading all this about Orton, I'm glad he's gone. That's a lot of attitude that could potentially hurt the team if he had stayed.

I have always thought that Orton should have stayed, but had Cousins not been here, he would have had better stats and probably gone earlier in the draft.

Still, I don't like the bridges he's burning with UK. Not finishing classes and now this.

I don't take it as that big of a deal. Wall was not that happy, and it only came after a conversation with Cal that he needed to play Cal's style and play it every second that he is on the floor in order to ensure that #1 pick, otherwise, we could have been saying the same things about him. These guys only played at UK because they had to. All 4 frosh would have gone straight into the draft if they could have. As for skipping classes, Orton and Bledsoe were no-shows beginning in January, and Cousins had minimal interest in school the whole time he was enrolled. Wall was the only one who took everything serious, even knowing he was leaving as soon as he could.
It's hard not to pass freshman 100-level classes at UK.

Would it have helped Orton to not be playing behind Cousins? Sure, but if Orton had gone to Kansas, that doesn't mean that Cousins just disappears. It means Cousins still impresses and Orton maybe improves his stock by a few more spots. I'm not even sure that Orton would have gotten that much more playing time at Kansas.

What's done is done though. I just hope Orton isn't holding a grudge because he was out-shined by Cousins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:I don't take it as that big of a deal. Wall was not that happy, and it only came after a conversation with Cal that he needed to play Cal's style and play it every second that he is on the floor in order to ensure that #1 pick, otherwise, we could have been saying the same things about him. These guys only played at UK because they had to. All 4 frosh would have gone straight into the draft if they could have. As for skipping classes, Orton and Bledsoe were no-shows beginning in January, and Cousins had minimal interest in school the whole time he was enrolled. Wall was the only one who took everything serious, even knowing he was leaving as soon as he could.

It is an entire;y different situation to go to Californoa and tell people you are finishing up classes and there is nothing to worry about. Orton was one of the guys that seemed to want to be there from the beginning but after the season that passionate that he had for the history of the school seemed to have faded quick. Like I have said before Orton followed what he thought was right and made some odd decisions regarding preparing for the NBA.
[SIZE="4"]
Stardust Wrote:I don't take it as that big of a deal. Wall was not that happy, and it only came after a conversation with Cal that he needed to play Cal's style and play it every second that he is on the floor in order to ensure that #1 pick, otherwise, we could have been saying the same things about him. These guys only played at UK because they had to. All 4 frosh would have gone straight into the draft if they could have. As for skipping classes, Orton and Bledsoe were no-shows beginning in January, and Cousins had minimal interest in school the whole time he was enrolled. Wall was the only one who took everything serious, even knowing he was leaving as soon as he could.

I'm not naive, I know that most of these guys don't even want to go to school in the first place. They are only there because they can't go straight to the league out of high school.

But there's still a big difference between what Orton did compared to the way the other frshmen handled the situation. All four could have taken the attitude of "I'm heading to the draft, screw going to class, I don't care what happens to the university." And there would have been nothing to stop them from doing that, other than some sense of loyalty to the coach and/or the program to not take a course of action that would knowingly hurt the school.

In the end, Wall, Cuz, and Bledsoe chose to stay and finish the semester before splitting town. Even if they didn't really care about going to class and finishing out the semester, they did it anyway. Orton, on the other hand, went to California, then lied and said he was still finishing his classes. HUGE difference in my book.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So Orton tried to clear the air on somethings today with a series of tweets.

"Okay there are some things that I've been needing to address, but I was trying to focus my attention elsewhere. As far as the classes I want

To apologize for not doing what I said I would. I messed up bigtime and hope I can be somewhat forgiven. I messed up on a few due dates on

My online class and I just lost focus in school. I apologize. Then the thing about the Kansas comment. I was more so set up on that question

We all know the media and how they like to get people but i was asked was there any other school that I would have gone to. At first I said

No because I loved UK and I loved my experience and my teammates there. Then he proceeded to say. I know Kansas was recruiting you hard, you

Never had any thoughts of maybe you should have gone there? Of course I thought that at times I won't lie about that I'm sure atleast two

Players on every college team this year question their decision but in the end I am happy that I went to UK. As far as leavin early. I can't
Really justify myself there. So sorry UK fans love yall and yall are the best Ima miss it!"
See I hope he is sincere but after some of the stunts he has pulled, no one will ever know for sure.
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:See I hope he is sincere but after some of the stunts he has pulled, no one will ever know for sure.

It was the politically correct thing to do. I really have no issue with him. I've had jobs where I was paid to work at in which I ultimately left. After I left, did I have to give the place that I worked at a glowing review and say I am 100% completely satisfied with my decision to go to work there? There are many on here that have taken Orton's situation and separated themselves from something that I am sure that he done in their own lives.
Orton Has Blamed The Media For His Comments About Kansas (Per KSR Tweet)

However He Has Apologized To All Of UK Fans

"Daniel Orton just posted this apology on Twitter to UK fans. Interesting comments, which we will dive more into later tonight:
Okay there are some things that I’ve been needing to address, but I was trying to focus my attention elsewhere. As far as the classes I want to apologize for not doing what I said I would. I messed up bigtime and hope I can be somewhat forgiven. I messed up on a few due dates on my online class and I just lost focus in school. I apologize. Then the thing about the Kansas comment. I was more so set up on that question. We all know the media and how they like to get people but i was asked was there any other school that I would have gone to. At first I said No because I loved UK and I loved my experience and my teammates there. Then he proceeded to say. I know Kansas was recruiting you hard, you never had any thoughts of maybe you should have gone there? Of course I thought that at times I won’t lie about that I’m sure atleast two Players on every college team this year question their decision but in the end I am happy that I went to UK. As far as leavin early, I cant Really justify myself there. So sorry UK fans love yall and yall are the best Ima miss it"

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=55101