Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chicago Bulls To Trade The 17th Pick?
With the 17th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls...

Will probably try not to use the 17th pick in the draft. That’s my sense for now, because if they don’t have the 17th pick, that means they probably traded it—and a player or two—for additional salary cap space to make a run at two top free agents.

This draft coming Thursday is going to be unusual, since, at least the Bulls at No. 17 and Miami at No. 18, are the most likely among others to try to move picks to keep from having to add that guaranteed first round salary and try to use the pick to get a team to also take one of their players to make themselves more attractive to free agents.

So if the Bulls use the pick, it might be a disappointment, though there’s also the possibility they could pick for another team with a deal to be completed later after a sign-and-trade.

It’s also most likely to be a spot in the draft where the Bulls hope someone falls through the cracks to them, as there are maybe 10 or 12 certain picks and a few guys who could slide, perhaps Cole Aldrich, Al-Farouq Aminu, Patrick Patterson or Xavier Henry. I’d take Henry if he did slide, though indications I’ve gotten lately is he’ll definitely be in the top 15.
So who do I think the Bulls will draft Thursday?

The envelope please: With the 17th pick in the NBA draft, the Bulls select…

Elliott Williams of Memphis. There are gasps, including from me, as Williams has been the mystery man of the draft by not working out a lot, which usually suggests he’s gotten a promise somewhere. The Bulls don’t usually gamble on those kinds of guys, but those Memphis guards seem to work out well, and Williams is a noted hard worker and bulldog defender who’s drawn comparisons to Russell Westbrook. The thing about this draft if the Bulls use the pick is they’ll be going for a good backup, especially at No. 17, and with Tom Thibodeau as the coach, I think the emphasis will be on a defensive player, which Williams will be and he can play some point guard.

As I’ve written, I feel the primary need is size, and though there’s no certainty until a guy signs, I’ve done more checking on Omer Asik and he’s not Dalibor or Chris Anstey Roberto Duenas or Tarlac. He’s a real athlete with tremendous size who makes fluid moves. If the Bulls add him, as expected, he should be a nice backup center if Brad Miller doesn’t return.

The Bulls figure to choose among perhaps a half dozen players at No. 17, and here’s the most likely who’ll be available and they could take at that spot:

-- James Anderson, Oklahoma State. He’s a shooting guard with range whom many have long penciled in for the Bulls and should be available. I’ve heard mixed reports about him, that he’s a safe pick without much ceiling, a solid guy who should be a rotation player off the bench. One GM I talked to likened him to Aaron McKie, though I think he’s a much better shooter.

-- Paul George, Fresno State. He’s another shooter, this time more at small forward, which is why many see him as a Bulls possible. But I don’t because of James Johnson. I believe the Bulls are committed to taking a hard look at Johnson this season after he didn’t play much last season and he is a wing player. I’ve seen Johnson of late and he’s lost a tremendous amount of weight and appears in great shape and I cannot see the Bulls bringing in someone at his position. I also think they should give Joe Alexander a shot at that spot.

-- Larry Sanders, VCU. He’s a long, athletic big man who can add to that size the Bulls seek, though the jury has been out on his motivation at times, and the Bulls are big on that so called “motor” skill of a guy who works hard.

-- Hassan Whiteside, Marshall. Another big time shot blocker and a big guy, but considered awfully raw and not ready and I don’t see the Bulls into much development at this point after this free agency summer.

-- Avery Bradley, Texas. I probably should not list him since most everyone believes he’ll be off the board by No. 17. There’s a slight chance he could slip through with some similar talents and guys moving up, namely Butler’s Gordon Hayward and Nevada’s Luke Babbitt. But he has that sort of Wade type explosiveness if not quite the same player and likened some to Monta Ellis with that head down scoring game and quickness.

-- Patrick Patterson, Kentucky. He’s definitely one who could get there whom some teams rank higher. He’s a three/four tweener with a game like Nocioni in the sense of more a jack of all trades forward, though not a great defender.

-- Damion James, Texas. Yes, he’s sort of a small forward, but more the tweener as well and not the kind of game like James Johnson. More like Shawn Marion with a lot of activity and rebounding ability, though just over 6-6 barefoot.

-- Solomon Alabi, Florida State. A seven-footer whose a bit raw and after the recent experiences of guys like Saer Sene and Hasheem Thabeet I don’t after further review see the Bulls going for him with Asik looking better.

-- Cole Aldrich, Kansas. He’s been penciled in at Utah at No. 9 and it makes sense as they had a shot at the Lakers if they had more size. He’s also the kind of guy who could slip as he’s more a mechanical big man and perhaps overrated at times. Though personnel guys insist there’s no way he falls as far as No. 17. Likewise, a big man like Ekpe Udoh, who is moving up faster and figures to go ahead of Aldrich.

-- Eric Bledsoe, Kentucky. Playing with John Wall you don’t get noticed much and don’t get a chance to play point, but it’s a backup position the Bulls don’t have if they deal Kirk Hinrich. It would be a reach as he didn’t play point guard with Wall around, though he is long for his size and explosive and the Bulls have looked for fast backup points in previous drafts without pulling the trigger as they liked other players better.

And, of course, it could be someone else. We’ll see in a few days.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_1006...l?rss=true