Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weights & Conditioning
I was just wondering what kind of weight programs and conditioning your coachs put you all through to get you in shape
I Graduated but when I did play, man we had to get up around 8:00 sat morning, run the whole field in 16 seconds 16 times 30 second breaks and then after that go left weights.
If you are from Pikeville then you will cringe when you hear these words: JINGLE JANGLES........its 20 sprints to the 40 and back in 16 seconds with 14 second breaks.....of coures there are the Green bays where you start at that goaline and do five yard intervals of sprinting then back pedaling back......it has been said that if the coaches are really mad they have sent them to the other goaline and back....now in the weight room these kids i heard were doing 30 reps of squat and 30 reps of bench....they should be ready when the season rolls around
Jingle Jangles have to be the worst thing about pikeville football, they help us get in shape but they are hard. i prefer regular Weight lifting.
You wanna know what Pikeville College's first workout of the off-season was on Weds...

Squats - 3 sets of 20
Bench Press - 3 sets of 20
Shrugs - 3 sets of 20
Close Grip Bench - 3 sets of 20
Reverse Barbell Curls - 3 sets of 20

Thursday:

6:00 a.m. - They ran the "99's" (the 99 stairs that lead to the top) 5 times

Workout:
Front Military Press - 3 sets of 12
Back Military Press - 3 sets of 12
Power Pulls - 3 sets of 12
Power Cleans - 3 sets of 12
Shrug into a Front Raise - 3 sets of 12
Barbell Curls - 3 sets of 12

If you walk around campus, you can ure tell who is a football player and who isn't, lol, I couldn't imagine doing all that stuff, I wouldn't be able to walk.
Sounds pretty tuff, I'm sure they will be good in the next years to come
liveMAROON Wrote:Sounds pretty tuff, I'm sure they will be good in the next years to come

They will be, hopefully. They are getting alot of good EKY boys in and from what I have heard from some of the football players, a couple more gonna be comin to Pikeville.

Paul Sullivan and Ryan Jarrell started this semester, Hundley boy from Whitley County is back, Allen boy from Breathitt is back, started year before last til he broke his leg.

Players I have heard are comin:
Nick Jamerson - played at Pburg, didn't play anywhere this past year.
John Mark Stephens - Pburg
Jeremy Carr - Pburg
Joe Blackburn - Pburg
Marshall boy - Magoffin County
Doug Howard - Belfry, i reckon he told Mynatt he was 95% sure he was gonna come.
Scotty McCoy - Johnson Central

I don't know for sure who will come and won't, these are just one's I have heard through the grapevine that are comin.
I hope they do go to Pikeville!
BallaBaby Wrote:I hope they do go to Pikeville!

I would love to see more EKY boys playin.

EKY players at Pikeville now:
Jesse Peck - Johnson Central
Matt Runyon - Paintsville
Kyle Arms "
Justin Arms "
Ryan Jarrell "
Matt Brown will be back next year - Paintsville
Allen boy - Breathitt County
Hundley boy - Whitley County
Paul Sullivan - Pikeville
Josh Bentley - SV
Josh Cullop - Belfry
Zane Smith - "
Jordan Clevenger - "
Nathan Moore - Sheldon Clark
Steve Davidson - Leslie County
Brent Collins - "

There are more, but this was all my source could come up with. Would love to see more come to Pikeville.
Wow talk about an Allstar cast right there. Pikeville colleges Future looks splendid especially if Josh Sullivan makes his home there
When I was in school, Coach Mac made us lift every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We would alternate a leg day and an arm day.

Conditioning week was the most hellatious experience of your life.

For two years we had to run jingle-jangles, which are 40 yards, down and back in under 15 seconds for linemen. Which is easy at first but after your 14th not so easy.

Then my last two years we did 5 for 5's, which is running 5-100 yard sprints, then 5-80 yard sprints, 5-40 yard sprints, 5-20 yard sprints, 5-10 yard sprints.
Oh how i remember that....it truly was hellatious
My buddy called me lastnight and told me he was talking to Paul, Josh Bentley, and Jarod Frasure (who plays baseball at Pikeville College) outside the Admissions building the other day and Frasure told them that he was gonna go out for football this fall. So if that happens there's another great player from this area to add to that list.
The first week of football is the most painful
Anybody ever hear of shredders? Probably the most painful shoulder exercise I have ever done. It's 10 reps of military press, 10 reeps of behind-the-neck military press, and 10 reps of upright rows.....and that's just one set! Try three of 'em.
wow....i believe i have heard of them and yes even accomplished them....not easy at all
Weights are always a big part of any successful team.
True yet Quite redundant statement.........Although they are some People from county schools that are huge. Benching 300 and all of that but they lack the SKILL and the HEART
I like that post...Very, Very true
I agree with ya LM. Football is one of the few sports that can be played with full out raw emotion. You can have all the strength in the world but if you dont have the heart, you wont get far.
SOLID post spread........ppl look at Pikeville and think of what we lack in size physicaly but they never think about how stong we are in heart......never underestimate it......it will get you
My coach made us do the german style of lifting. 10 sets of 10. It was horrible.
weights r goin good for pikeville i was up ther the other day and sexton chase and weton r really throwin the bench up and everyone in the weight room is gettinn so mihc stronger
and casey rowe wow
what about other linemen in the weight room?
Prestonsburg i think has one of the best in the mountains with the new field house to lift in and a gym to run in p'burg is the BEST.
prestonsburg works out 8 times a week if you have first period weight lifting
5 days a week morning workouts in first period class and then monday wednesday and thursday after school
SuperMario Wrote:My coach made us do the german style of lifting. 10 sets of 10. It was horrible.

German Volume Training..
I like that a lot...and its only 3 days a week, so u get enough time to recover

but damn if those 3 days arent hell...cause its super-set after super-set..
and u dont get to rest very long at all..

(that is, if your doing it right)
We lift in a pyramid style of weight-lifting. Like a se of 10, then 8 of more weight, then 6 of more weight. it is pretty tough. We then run sprints after all our lifting.
Matt_Knee Wrote:German Volume Training..
I like that a lot...and its only 3 days a week, so u get enough time to recover

but damn if those 3 days arent hell...cause its super-set after super-set..
and u dont get to rest very long at all..

(that is, if your doing it right)

So you do that same sets-and-reps scheme ALL THE TIME? ALL YEAR LONG?
footballdaddy10 Wrote:We lift in a pyramid style of weight-lifting. Like a se of 10, then 8 of more weight, then 6 of more weight. it is pretty tough. We then run sprints after all our lifting.

So you do that SAME sets-and-reps scheme EVERY WORKOUT? ALL YEAR LONG?