•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Middlesboro job open?
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Oh by the way, 3 time NAIA All American Linebacker, Union College Hall of Fame, Harlan Countian of the year in 2008, and won coach of the year in SEKC, Class AA, Harlan County, etc. you can add to the above.
Mountain...The military service is great God bless you and thank you for serving but that doesn't prove success one way or the other on the high school football field. The great play on the field is nice for you personally but many, many of the best and greatest players in sports never end up being great coaches. Debating with people on an internet message board about why you should get a job while priceless...its not, well never mind. Let me say this. If you interview for the M'boro job, congratulations and good luck. Based on your intrest in the job, I'm sure you will give it a good effort. From my stand point I want to see a proven winner with a long proven track record at a school or schools equal to or larger than M'boro to ensure nobody gets in over their head. (we've had too many of those in the last couple of hires) I want to see a coach hired that has been winning and maintaining an established program against top quality competition for a long period of time. I'm not naming names, this is a critical hire at a critical time for this program. Much like people said that the Calipari hire was a career decision for the UK administration, this hire could be a career decision for those making it in the M'boro administration. It needs to be solid and it needs to be a homerun. Sorry if you don't agree, I really don't expect you to.
Maybe since Middlesboro will be getting a new head coach that they will play Bell County in a year or so or maybe thats just wishful thinking. I do miss that cross town rival game alot!:popcorn:
Dungy Wrote:Is it possible for a #1A assistant coach that will be as tested and sure as a #1 head coach to be available? I don't have any names in mind, but maybe the first mate to Hilton, Holcomb, Jewell etc. that would (a) be eager for the challenge; (b) have the experience; and © be financially compatible with the position.
Dungy...One of the things that I said in an earlier post was that in the end I really don't expect the type of hire that would have us dancing in the streets. What you are saying is along the line that I expect they will go. You can bet that unless things have changed for the better with some of the new folks that's in the Administration now, there's two items that will come to play in making the decision. 1) The cost $$$, can they find someone at Walmart prices that will take the job. 2) Politics. Does someone in the administration have a friend or a friend of a friend that's a football coach... Unfortunately there's a lot of that along the path that has led us to where we are today. But to answer you, Yes I think that type of person is in our future. When they announce the name of the new coach you will probably say "Who is that?", "Where are they from?" "I've never heard of him!". History shows that when those type of statements are made, it rarely turns out good.
Daniel_BellCo Wrote:Maybe since Middlesboro will be getting a new head coach that they will play Bell County in a year or so or maybe thats just wishful thinking. I do miss that cross town rival game alot!:popcorn:
I agree with you. As a matter of fact you won't like this, but the new coach should have it spelled out clearly that not only will he have to play Bell, but he had better beat Bell on a regular basis or he's gone. After all what's the fun of a rival if you never play or one side never wins! Smile
You are definitely right about one thing Blue12 and that is I don't need to be on hear debating you because I am hoping I have a program to start running. Sometimes when I see something so outlandish I can't help myself. So, like I said it is definitely not worth the time. Take care and God bless to you and yours.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:You are definitely right about one thing Blue12 and that is I don't need to be on hear debating you because I am hoping I have a program to start running. Sometimes when I see something so outlandish I can't help myself. So, like I said it is definitely not worth the time. Take care and God bless to you and yours.
Warrior I agree with you, the things said on here are beyond bizzare, it really effects the perception that folks come away with. Wink
Coach Luttrell, I know that you don't need anyone to chime in and help you out here but I feel like I need to throw my 2 cents in as well. Having coached against some of John's teams I can assure anyone with any concerns about his coaching need not worry. No one gets his team to play with more emotion, discipline and toughness than coach Luttrell. His boys played hard for him, they bought into what he was teaching and took on his persona and were tough as nails. He produced winning teams at Cawood at a time when the talent level was not what it had been in the past. There were good players there but on the whole, the talent level was down; coach made them tough and won ballgames. Now he may not have any rings to show for it, or he may not have the track record that some are looking for, but it takes a team to win a title. Good luck coach, I know that if Middlesboro is lucky enough to get you that you will have them back winning ballgames and playing physical football. But most important of all they will learn how to play the game of life.
Thank you so much. To be acknowledged by a peer as someone who coaches his players the right way and prepares them for life means so much and those things you mentioned are why I want to be back on the sidelines coaching football. God bless you my friend.
Blue12 Wrote:I agree with you. As a matter of fact you won't like this, but the new coach should have it spelled out clearly that not only will he have to play Bell, but he had better beat Bell on a regular basis or he's gone. After all what's the fun of a rival if you never play or one side never wins! Smile

The only reason I would like to see us play again is the money that would be the only thing that would be good for it right now. It will be a long time before MBoro has any chance of beating Bell.
Since the ineterviewing process has already started on here.

MW I know you took the Estill job last year, were else have you Coached? Not to familiar with you Coaching stints.
Correct me if I am wrong, but IMO what a coach has done in his past is respected, but a coach is paid to win, maybe not every game but at least win more games than lose. Look at Lawrence County now that they are winning, the more games you win the more fans come out and the more kids want to play, and the more you make at the gate to put in your program. The key word being MORE here! Middlesboro kids deserve this and I would LOVE to see this program get to where it used to be...EXCITING!!! Also I think they should try to get someone in there soon because I know Bell High has already started working on their season and Middlesboro should be starting on theirs the sooner the better. IMO>
I hope the coach that gets the job knows how to buy out a contract. Alcoa is always a good game to start your tenure at a school:ChairHit:
attacktheV Wrote:I hope the coach that gets the job knows how to buy out a contract. Alcoa is always a good game to start your tenure at a school:ChairHit:

I don't see Mboro playing Alcoa either. I think that Bell will be playing them again. I think that if this happens it will be at Log Mtn again.
mommacat Wrote:I know Bell High has already started working on their season and Middlesboro should be starting on theirs the sooner the better. IMO>

Bell High never stops working on their season. That is the difference between the two programs. Iron sharpens Iron and theres not been much sharpening in the last decade for the yellow jackets. Bell :wieghts: The Boro:relaxing:
attacktheV Wrote:Bell High never stops working on their season. That is the difference between the two programs. Iron sharpens Iron and theres not been much sharpening in the last decade for the yellow jackets. Bell :wieghts: The Boro:relaxing:

:lmao:That is a good one.
Okay, first I did not talk on here to interview. As I said before, I sometimes can't help but to respond to something I see as just to far over the top. Any Coach worth their salt wants to win and coach's to win who are competitive (And I am competitive). But, I can't believe some of the things I read about winning at all cost. I want my players to be disciplined; I don't let players or coach's use foul language, their on time, they keep their equipment and locker room clean, they never walk on the practice field but run from drill to drill or station to station, and these are just some examples. I'm talking discipline not harassment. Discipline breeds success, Harassment breeds contempt. I want my players to be just as successful in the classroom as on the field, academics should be emphasized and players that don't make grades do not play. I believe in building young men of character, values, etc and these things I have talked about on this site. Now, think about it, if you have young men like this then you will be successful. Why, they will not quit on you, they will play hard for 4 quarters, and they always strive for success: THE RIGHT WAY! This is not an interview, it is about core beliefs and investing the right things in our greatest asset, which is our youth because they are our future.
Now, as far as coaching I coached LB's at Union, Defensive Backs at Murray State, Offensive Coordinator for Tim Saylor at Cawood, and Head Coach at Cawood where my best two seasons in 6 years were 7-4 and 8-3 and we made the playoffs every year but my first year. To me, my military service is just as important because I have led men in 3 combat tours and never had a soldier die under my command. Google the latest deaths from Iraq and Afghanistan and you will see many ages of 18, 19, and 20 years old. This another reason what we teach our youngsters is so important IMO. Sorry, for such a long response but I am passionate about this. I would love to be the next Middlesboro coach in order to be back in a sport I love teaching young men to be men of character. But if it does not happen, I know God still has a plan for me and I just have to keep the faith. So yes, I want success and to win but I want to do it the right way for the right reasons and through hard, self-sacrificing work. God bless each of you.
John
P.S. Middlesboro needs to play Bell next year in the opening game and not Alcoa. Let Alcoa play the team Bell was suppose to play, then keep the Middlesboro and Bell game going because it is good for the sport and the schools, again In My Opinion (IMO).
TTFWIW...RUMOR has it that there has been a LARGE number of applicants for the job. The number that I was given was big enough that I don't even want to pass that along, even knowing this is second hand information. But I am confident that if the REAL number of applicants is even 50% of the number I was told, the odds are that there should be several good prospects in the group. Hopefully the information is true and hopefully there are several coaches from some quality programs to pick from.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:P.S. Middlesboro needs to play Bell next year in the opening game and not Alcoa. Let Alcoa play the team Bell was suppose to play, then keep the Middlesboro and Bell game going because it is good for the sport and the schools, again In My Opinion (IMO).

The game would be terrible so let Bell play Alcoa or Green Co. It would be a massacre for Mboro.
I understand wanting to teach young men good core values, and that sometimes people can go too far, but football is a competitive sport, and i think that you should want to teach these young men that hard work can pay off. If you just let them continue to be beaten down over and over, what have you taught them?
I remember an old saying that goes something like this, "Show me a good loser, and i will show you a loser.":biggrin:
Winning is habit forming but unfortunately so is losing.
A lot of people including a couple of big names has applied for this job , Middlesboro Is a sleeping giant and It's going to be very interesting to see who wins this job.
They are indeed a sleeping giant. But they need more than a wake up call; they need an adrenaline shot straight to the heart. They need to find the coach that can push the needle through, and that may not be one of your so called "experienced" coaches.
Blue12 Wrote:TTFWIW...RUMOR has it that there has been a LARGE number of applicants for the job. The number that I was given was big enough that I don't even want to pass that along, even knowing this is second hand information. But I am confident that if the REAL number of applicants is even 50% of the number I was told, the odds are that there should be several good prospects in the group. Hopefully the information is true and hopefully there are several coaches from some quality programs to pick from.

There are no big names that I have applied for this job. Middlesboro is far from a sleeping giant. This program does not have as many athletes as it used to and will not for sometime. Whoever gets this job, they are at least 4 years from getting their head above water.
Intimidator Wrote:A lot of people including a couple of big names has applied for this job , Middlesboro Is a sleeping giant and It's going to be very interesting to see who wins this job.

attacktheV Wrote:They are indeed a sleeping giant. But they need more than a wake up call; they need an adrenaline shot straight to the heart. They need to find the coach that can push the needle through, and that may not be one of your so called "experienced" coaches.

I don't know if you guys really know anything about the program at all. Mboro has no athletes it will take someone at least 4 or 5 seasons to get things turned around because the 7th graders are the next best class. They are not a sleeping giant and there are no big names that have applied for this job. And you can take that to the BANK.
No talent? Are you serious? They may not have the talent in the past but they do have talent they have not anyone to fine tune that talent for a while. When they can get someone in the program who knows how to work and kid and get them to perform at their peak then you will see. Also, when you have a failing program you can loose kids to a program who is how you say...winning state championships.
Generals2010 Wrote:No talent? Are you serious? They may not have the talent in the past but they do have talent they have not anyone to fine tune that talent for a while. When they can get someone in the program who knows how to work and kid and get them to perform at their peak then you will see. Also, when you have a failing program you can loose kids to a program who is how you say...winning state championships.

You don't know what you are talking about either and the talent isn't coming to Bell County either you guys need to take a close look at the program. Those kids haven't worked for years and it will take a long time to get ones in their who will. You can mark it down it it will take 4 or 5 season to get things going.
I have seen M'boro play on the HS level and Middle school level the past few years in football and basketball and I can assure you that the TALENT level is indeed WAY WAY DOWN! Unless they have some all-state players walking the halls that don't play they will be down for a few years.

MW so you took over for Saylor at Cawood. I do remember some of those teams now. I have been around Knox Central football for a long time and we played the trojans nearly every year even when the they re-aligned out of our district. Seems you had some pretty favorable teams on the schedule those years? What was your record in the playoff's?
I agree that the talent is no where near where it use to be. Athletes in the school may not be playing, but i don't think that they are at any other school. I have to say no big names on the list of 40-45, that one can consider a homerun. 50% of the names have never been a head coach or even a coordinator. This is a very deceptive job from the standpoint that Middlesboro has a great tradition and what has been happening the last 5 years. Good Luck.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next