Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best QB's Ever to Play at Your School
I was wonderin who you all thought were the best quarterbacks ever to play at your school
Im not being conceited, but I think it would have to be me or Brandon Ratilff. But to clear everything up, those are the only two I can think of that ever played QB at East Ridge.
im not sure about the old-timers but Matt Branham is high on the list
Matt branahm most definately...but huffman will rank up there after this season...atleast i think he will.
Justin McCurry at Pike Central. He couldn't take a hit very well, but he was accurate and could throw pretty good.
panthermania Wrote:Matt branahm most definately...but huffman will rank up there after this season...atleast i think he will.
No pm, he won't. Chase is a heck of a kid, and a heck of an athlete, but he isn't anywhere close to Matt. Matt Branham holds most every passing record at PHS, and I think he will hold those records for a long time. As far as the best ever... I don't really know. It is hard to say because the QB's Pikeville had in the late 80's and early 90's were good QB's and even better athletes but HH hardly ever threw the football, so their numbers aren't that great. Another good QB in recent PHS history is Doug Powers. This guy was 6'5 or 6'6, and had an absolute cannon for an arm. He was a good enough QB to get a scholarship to Marshall University, but Marshall had two other guys when he got there. Maybe you know them: Chad Pennington & Byron Leftwich.
Tommy johnson reminds me of Texas QB.
in practice the past year matt was giving chase tips and showing him the ways... if he picks the tips up IMO hell be high up there
Chase Huffman still has a LONG way to go to catch Matt Branham.
Farva Wrote:
panthermania Wrote:Matt branahm most definately...but huffman will rank up there after this season...atleast i think he will.
No pm, he won't. Chase is a heck of a kid, and a heck of an athlete, but he isn't anywhere close to Matt. Matt Branham holds most every passing record at PHS, and I think he will hold those records for a long time. As far as the best ever... I don't really know. It is hard to say because the QB's Pikeville had in the late 80's and early 90's were good QB's and even better athletes but HH hardly ever threw the football, so their numbers aren't that great. Another good QB in recent PHS history is Doug Powers. This guy was 6'5 or 6'6, and had an absolute cannon for an arm. He was a good enough QB to get a scholarship to Marshall University, but Marshall had two other guys when he got there. Maybe you know them: Chad Pennington & Byron Leftwich.

I never said chase was as good as Matt...he is now where close...I only said he would rank high in the best QB's pikeville has had to offer.
He didn't do a whole lot this past year to move up on that list, so I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what he does this coming year.
Brahnam....thats all im sayin....thats all i need to say
At Male High School, it is a tough call. Chris Redman, Gerry Ahrens, and Michael Bush were all really good. I guess I would have to say Chris Redman because he has the better numbers in both high school and college, although all three of them won a state championship.
Matt Branham has to be #1 for Pikeville....like it was said the championship teams ran the ball so therefore those QBs are out...and for huffman..he has no chance of catching Branham due to the lack of receivers....Matt had 3-4 good options to throw to his 10-12 grade years!
You know Timmy Griffith from Shelby Valley High School is pretty good if you saw him play. That is just what I think but the boy form Brehitt CO. can throw and move around and make things happen!!! Confusedhock:
I would have to say Nick Compton was one of the best if not the best to go through South Floyd!!
Is Chris Redman still playing Pro ball? If so where at? I don't think that he is still a Raven but I'm not sure.
In Southwestern's 12 years I would say that Sam Sexton, 2003, is the best QB I have seen at SWHS. Jason Girdler,2000, and Todd Daulton 2005 are neck to neck for 2nd.
Nick Compton was the best to attend South Floyd in my mind. Even my wife a South Floyd Alumni said it was fun just to see the Raiders play when nick was Qb. He had some D1 offers plus all kinds of ! AA schools and NAIA offers went to Morehead and redshirted but ended up not playing. I think he could still play today and been out of scholl 8 years.
I do believe Chris Redman signed with the New England Patriots right before they started the playoffs.
torQQue Wrote:I would have to say Nick Compton was one of the best if not the best to go through South Floyd!!
I have heard that too
I remember the game its my alltime favorite as a SF fan well.Nicks senior year. 4th and 1 on the 40 down 4 to pikeville 1:30 on the clok in the 4th Q. Coach calls a QB sneak to keep the drive alive, all 22 players are in a pile when some how Nick comes out of the side and runs 60 yards for a TD (SF beats Pikeville).
Best football game ever at SF
littlej Wrote:Nick Compton was the best to attend South Floyd in my mind. Even my wife a South Floyd Alumni said it was fun just to see the Raiders play when nick was Qb. He had some D1 offers plus all kinds of ! AA schools and NAIA offers went to Morehead and redshirted but ended up not playing. I think he could still play today and been out of scholl 8 years.
He was a dandy and played tough on defense also. Had one of the best hits I have seen at the Brackett one night. Great attitude in football and basketball. Must run in the family. Somebody is doing something right.
Paintsville:

David LeMaster
John David Herald
David Castle
Chas Harmon
Matt Branham has to be the best QB from Pikeville. He holds every record there is excpet most completions in a game, which is held by Ben Howard with 28 in the 1998 game vs. Lynn Camp and Longest Pass held by Jason Howard and Gene Pinson (90 yards). So Branham has to be the best from Pikeville.
Here are the records he holds:
Passing Yards-
Game 496(1999)
Season 3395 (1999)
Career 6015 (1997-2000)
Total Receptions 229 (1999)
Touchdown Passes 40 (1999)
Completions-
Season 200 (1999)
Career 360 (1997-2000)
Tim Couch was the best from where i am from...
i moved to pike county right after he graduated high school...
Justin Mccurry was the best ive seen at my school now
I would say TC was a pretty good lock. I sure hope he gets the chance after surgery to get a new start somewhere.
Hey Panthers, Short memory?
Here's mine in order:
1. Jason Howard, possibly the best decision maker ever in maroon(hall of famer)
2. Matt Blair, led to first state championship
3. Frosty Davis, led a talented AA Pikeville team( HallofFamer)
4. John Venters, great option QB ( halloffamer)
5. JP Blair, great arm in the era before all of the passing
6. Ben Howard, tough, smart, great accuracy (future hall of famer)
7. Bill Staggs , great leader, great on the option, (Hall of famer)
8. Matt Branham, lots of records-not much to show for them
9. Roger Dale Caudill, led to state finals
10.Doug Powers, terribly overrated
by far Matt Branham he is unbelievable but chase huffman is still young with great receivers like Matt Sexton the only thing Chase as to improve on is his Accurate because if u ever really watchjed him he has a great arm and speed we all no that but right no i'll have to say Matt
spxdad Wrote:Hey Panthers, Short memory?
Here's mine in order:
1. Jason Howard, possibly the best decision maker ever in maroon(hall of famer)
2. Matt Blair, led to first state championship
3. Frosty Davis, led a talented AA Pikeville team( HallofFamer)
4. John Venters, great option QB ( halloffamer)
5. JP Blair, great arm in the era before all of the passing
6. Ben Howard, tough, smart, great accuracy (future hall of famer)
7. Bill Staggs , great leader, great on the option, (Hall of famer)
8. Matt Branham, lots of records-not much to show for them
9. Roger Dale Caudill, led to state finals
10.Doug Powers, terribly overrated

I completely forgot about Bill Staggs...he should definately be up there...I know him, hes a great guy...he played a little before my time but after looking at his plaque in the Hall of Fame at Pikeville the man has truly accomplsihed a lot at his career in Pikeville...great athlete, even better guy! He's been somewhat of an inspiration for me in my life...