Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina 77 - (19)Vanderbilt 73
What a saturday! My favorite team finished off there arena with a win over #1 syracuse and my favorite players team upset vandy on there home floor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
I guess this gives UK the SEC regular season title out right regardless of tomorrow.
Downey with 26 on 10-21 shooting
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE, Downey is great player..he avgs alot of points...and decent assist for the team he is on...Tonight though he had 2 assists and 4 to's....thats not good, he shot better tonight but he normally shoots a fairly decent, not great but nor bad %...he shot great however from the 3 today!
Sparty, I will agree he shoots alot...but he shoots a decent avg!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:Sparty, I will agree he shoots alot...but he shoots a decent avg!
No he does not shoot a "decent average." There is nothing decent about a point guard who shoots 40% from the field. Before today's win, SC was riding a 6-game losing streak in which Downey had hit 44 of 127 field goal attempts (34.6%). Maybe Downey should consider you as a potential agent. :biggrin:
wall shoots what 44% and when they played SC less than that...I dont see what is so great about wall then? As a matter of fact if i were an agent i would be glad to have downey
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:wall shoots what 44% and when they played SC less than that...I dont see what is so great about wall then? As a matter of fact if i were an agent i would be glad to have downey
No...Wall is shooting 46% and he is also averaging 6.2 assists per game. Wall is not a ball hog. Wall does for his team what a good point guard is supposed to do.

There is a big difference in playing selfishly and hitting 40% of a large number of shots and hitting 46% of a reasonable number of shots. When Wall is not shooting well, he does not shoot the Cats out of the game. Downey does.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No...Wall is shooting 46% and he is also averaging 6.2 assists per game. Wall is not a ball hog. Wall does for his team what a good point guard is supposed to do.

There is a big difference in playing selfishly and hitting 40% of a large number of shots and hitting 46% of a reasonable number of shots. When Wall is not shooting well, he does not shoot the Cats out of the game. Downey does.
totally agree
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No...Wall is shooting 46% and he is also averaging 6.2 assists per game. Wall is not a ball hog. Wall does for his team what a good point guard is supposed to do.

I agree with you, but who else has downey got to step up and hit a shot? Wall has a bunch of people to step up and hit big shots
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:I agree with you, but who else has downey got to step up and hit a shot? Wall has a bunch of people to step up and hit big shots
Downey has seven teammates that hit a higher percentage of their shots than he does. Take your pick. Wall makes the players around him better. Downey doesn't - and that is why Wall is a serious POY candidate and why Downey is not.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Downey has seven teammates that hit a higher percentage of their shots than he does. Take your pick.

Ok but they shoot layups...against Uk they cant do that or Vandy or tn...they are way bigger than SC...Besides when Uk went ot SC they shot alot of layups...40% shooting is not bad...I dont care who you are..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:Ok but they shoot layups...against Uk they cant do that or Vandy or tn...they are way bigger than SC...Besides when Uk went ot SC they shot alot of layups...40% shooting is not bad...I dont care who you are..
40 percent shooting is not good when are taking the second most shots per game of any NCAA Division I player in the country. Downey has taken more shots than any other point guard in the country this season and only Houston shooting guard, Aubrey Coleman, has launched more shots than Downey. Of the nation's top 10 scorers, Downey ranks 9th in field goal percentage.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:40 percent shooting is not good when are taking the second most shots per game of any NCAA Division I player in the country. Downey has taken more shots than any other point guard in the country this season and only Houston shooting guard, Aubrey Coleman, has launched more shots than Downey. Of the nation's top 10 scorers, Downey ranks 9th in field goal percentage.

yeah well i could ahve told you that...40% is just as good no matter how many shots you shoot...If you take a test or something and get 40% and there is 10 questions than you take another and get 40% but this time tthere was 20 questions..its all the same thing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:yeah well i could ahve told you that...40% is just as good no matter how many shots you shoot...If you take a test or something and get 40% and there is 10 questions than you take another and get 40% but this time tthere was 20 questions..its all the same thing!
Another way of looking at it is that Downey took a test and finished 9th out of 10 students. Downey flunks the POY test badly, even if you grade on a gentle curve.
Good point! But hey he has to shoot that for his team to have a fighting chance! i mean for real! Who leds the nation in % anyway
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:Good point! But hey he has to shoot that for his team to have a fighting chance! i mean for real! Who leds the nation in % anyway
I have no idea but Evan Turner, a legitimate POY candidate, hits 53.8% of his shots from the field and also contributes 5.8 assists per game. If a team only has a chance to win when a 40% FG shooter takes a big percentage of its shots, that team's prospects are not so good.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have no idea but Evan Turner, a legitimate POY candidate, hits 53.8% of his shots from the field and also contributes 5.8 assists per game. If a team only has a chance to win when a 40% FG shooter takes a big percentage of its shots, that team's prospects are not so good.

My vote would go to evan turner or wes johnson! although wes johnson isnt playing great right now...or kansas PG collins i like him as well!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"

In all fairness to Downey he's really all SC has. They have no other player that can create there own shot besides him. Also every team SC play knows he's there only scorer. That contributes to him having to force bad shots. UK has several threats and can't just key on Wall.
Aslan Wrote:In all fairness to Downey he's really all SC has. They have no other player that can create there own shot besides him. Also every team SC play knows he's there only scorer. That contributes to him having to force bad shots. UK has several threats and can't just key on Wall.

thank you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:My vote would go to evan turner or wes johnson! although wes johnson isnt playing great right now...or kansas PG collins i like him as well!
Mine would go to Wall or Turner. Fair or not, point guards are judged more on the team's success than any other position, which is why Wall has a great shot at winning. Turner has carried a team that has very little depth and Ohio State still has an outside shot at a #1 seed.

Sorry for getting the thread off topic, so this will be my last post. I am just having a hard time understanding why some people are trying so hard to promote a ball hogging point guard as a POY candidate. Downey does not have the demeanor or the stats of a great point guard but he does have the skills. The POY should be given based on performance - not potential.
Aslan Wrote:In all fairness to Downey he's really all SC has. They have no other player that can create there own shot besides him. Also every team SC play knows he's there only scorer. That contributes to him having to force bad shots. UK has several threats and can't just key on Wall.
Maybe one last post. Downey's job as a point guard is to create shots for his teammates and Downey's ability to penetrate should allow him to do that very effectively. When a point guard does not give the ball up, the other players tend to stop working hard to get open. Downey tends to force bad shots even after he draws double teams and that is not what a point guard should be doing.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe one last post. Downey's job as a point guard is to create shots for his teammates and Downey's ability to penetrate should allow him to do that very effectively. When a point guard does not give the ball up, the other players tend to stop working hard to get open. Downey tends to force bad shots even after he draws double teams and that is not what a point guard should be doing.

He don't really have any finishers/scorers around him to distribute the ball to. If SC didn't have Downey they would be the worst team in the SEC. In fact, I doubt they would even get a win in the SEC.
Aslan Wrote:He don't really have any finishers/scorers around him to distribute the ball to. If SC didn't have Downey they would be the worst team in the SEC. In fact, I doubt they would even get a win in the SEC.
South Carolina did not beat Kentucky because Downey hit 9 of 29 shots against them - they won despite his poor shooting. SC out rebounded Kentucky and they had more blocks than Kentucky. While Downey hit 31 percent of his shots, his teammates hit 37 percent of their shots.

South Carolina could not have beaten UK with their point guard hitting only 9 of 29 shots unless they had some other talent on the team. Downey makes his teammates look worse than they deserve to look. A ball hog has a way of demoralizing a team as a season over the course of a season and South Carolina lost five of its last six teams.

South Carolina may be even worse next season but their team chemistry won't be any worse without Downey. Downey played better as a sophomore than he did this season. He will either relearn how to distribute the ball or his playing days will be over sooner rather than later.