Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timmy Knipp Highlights
kywldcat01 Wrote:You're also talking about the 6th region. Louisville is known more for their guards than big men. But if he were playing in the 6th or 7th region, he'd likely get in foul trouble more often than not trying to defend a smaller, quicker player. I remember 6'4 Keisten Jones of Ballard giving TK A LOT of trouble last year and also throwing down a few dunks on the big guy because he was too quick and athletic for Timmy to defend. I think Gibbs, Morris/Stroud (Fairdale), Roush (Desales), and Patterson (if healthy for Central) would all give TK a tough match up as well in the 6th.

Now let's say Knipp played in the 9th where EVERY team has a solid big man. How do you see him matching up against the following front courts:

Holmes- 6'8 Elijah Pittman, 6'6 Kevon Rice, 6'5 Ricardo Johnson
Newcath- 6'8 Jake Geisler (D1 football prospect)
Conner- 6'7 Clay Robinson, 6'7 Tyler Hodges
Covcath- 6'6 Jake Thelen, 6'5 Trevor Wellbrock
Highlands- 6'6 Jack Stewart, 6'6 Tyler Grubbs, 6'5 Ben Watson
Ryle- 6'6 Bobby Stauffer, 6'6 Todd Vollet, 6'5 Clay Coleman
Boone Co- 6'6 Andy Earls, 6'5 Joey Lay, 6'5 Trevan Brown

IMO, Knipp would struggle mightily in the 9th. He is an elite talent, but he'd constantly be pushed around every night by the above players. I could see him getting very frustrated with the physical defense that's played in the 9th. Not only are those above guys big, but they're also athletic and physical.

If memory serves me well, I think he had a great summer for the Derek Smith all stars. This kid can play and could play anywhere. Whether he is better than this one or that one we will never know. He seems to have a complete game. He faired pretty well last year sharing the spotlight with Ferguson and the Faulkners.
kyrifle Wrote:Why would any kid 6'7" that shoots the ball as well as Knipp does not exploit the outside shot? It looks to me that he's getting his game to the point he can play the 2 or 3 position at the next level. A player 6'7" in college is not an inside player at all unless you have about 265# on your frame. I think Knipp is working on his game for the future and rightly so.
I don't know why some people think because you're tall and athletic you need to play the post all the time.

Creeker Wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself. If you can shot the "jump shot" like Knipp can, why would you not??? If Knipp was 6'7" and 280+ or something and couldn't move like he can, yeah, I'd say post him up, but that is not the case. Knipp is as quick or quicker than many of the guards in this area and he IS 6'7". Sounds like some people need to go back and watch the highlight video... looks pretty effective at shooting the jump shoot from anywhere on the floor to me. Confusedhh:

Both of you make valid points but what you fail to realize is he's shooting over kids that range form 6'0 to 6'3 from outside. How would he do shooting over a kid as big as him that also has the athleticism to block his shot? It's very easy for a 6'7 kid to shoot over smaller defenders.

leecoukfan Wrote:He would be fine in those regions! Yes, he might have to step up his game a little but I think he would have no problem doing that because he obviously doesn't have to try very hard to get the numbers he is getting right now. I think that a year in one of those regions would do him some good because he would really be able to show everyone how good he is putting up those kind of numbers against better players. That way whenever someone mentions something good about him people from central kentucky don't have to come on here and take away from his talents and achievements!

Nobody is saying Knipp isn't a good player. We're simply saying (the rational ones) that a lot of his success comes because of the weak competition. That doesn't mean he isn't talented, but simply stating the truth. Over the summer on the AAU circuit, he only averaged about 10 or 11 ppg. I think that's a good indication that he would dominate in other regions like you say. He would constantly be going against kids with as much athleticism and size as him night in and night out, just like on the AAU circuit. This would especially be true in the 9th region.

Again, I refer back to Knipp's 10 point performance against Pittman last year and the huge numbers that both Jones of Ballard (6'4) and Barnhill of East Carter put up against him. When he is against someone big, quick, or athletic as him, you see him struggle.

Put any of the following players in the 16th region and you'd see them dominate too:

Keisten Jones, Ian Chiles- Ballard
Chad Jackson, Dakotah Euton, Ge'Lawn Guyn- Scott Co
Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Jeremiah Johnson- Holmes
George Fant, Jordan Shanklin- Warren Central
Chane Behanan- Bowling Green (He'd likely average a triple double)
Vinny Zollo, Jaylen Daniel, Robbie Stenzel, Travis Purvis- Clark Co
Grant Pangallo, Jake Geisler- Newcath
Josh Sewell, Taylor Elpey- Trinity

I could continue but I think you get the point.
Commanche Wrote:If memory serves me well, I think he had a great summer for the Derek Smith all stars. This kid can play and could play anywhere. Whether he is better than this one or that one we will never know. He seems to have a complete game. He faired pretty well last year sharing the spotlight with Ferguson and the Faulkners.

He averaged 10 or 11 ppg over the summer.

Nobody is saying the kid can't play but rather you'd see his numbers come down significantly if he were playing in one of the more competitive regions around the state.

I myself even stated he'd still put up numbers in other regions but that you'd see him struggle more as well and he wouldn't dominate like he does in the 16th region where nobody can match his size or athleticism. The one kid who can, Barnhill, has put up huge numbers against him over the years.
kyrifle Wrote:Why would any kid 6'7" that shoots the ball as well as Knipp does not exploit the outside shot? It looks to me that he's getting his game to the point he can play the 2 or 3 position at the next level. A player 6'7" in college is not an inside player at all unless you have about 265# on your frame. I think Knipp is working on his game for the future and rightly so.
I don't know why some people think because you're tall and athletic you need to play the post all the time.

He shoots 30% from 3. That's not very impressive at all.

And from your post you make it sound as if he's out there for himself and not for his team. He would be unstoppable down low with his size and that would defiantly set his team up more for a win more so than shooting a ton of jump shots. Even if he missed a shot in the paint, he's still bigger than most of his opponents and could get the rebound and put back or be put on the line.

JMO
BlackcatAlum Wrote:He shoots 30% from 3. That's not very impressive at all.

And from your post you make it sound as if he's out there for himself and not for his team. He would be unstoppable down low with his size and that would defiantly set his team up more for a win more so than shooting a ton of jump shots. Even if he missed a shot in the paint, he's still bigger than most of his opponents and could get the rebound and put back or be put on the line.

JMO

So you think he should play down low and be a dominate player in the 16th region. I've seen TK go down and post up when he needs to. Posting up players in the 16th and 15th region will not improve his game since these are probably the two weakest regions in the state. You say he's shooting 30% from the 3 pt line, well he's not going to get any better shooting it posting up all the time either. If you think for a minute that any kid who has a chance to play at the D-1 level isn't out there to improve his stock in this game you are fooling yourself. Never implied TK wasn't a team player and certainly don't know how you got that from the post. Now that's my opinion.
This was suppose to be a highlight thread about Timmy Knipp and it's turned into a why he's not as good as other players outside of the Mountain area.
How about great job timmy for working hard and being a great player. You have some nice moves and keep working hard
And people act as if Justice is the only kid that gets "downgraded" on here...
Benchwarmer Wrote:This was suppose to be a highlight thread about Timmy Knipp and it's turned into a why he's not as good as other players outside of the Mountain area.
How about great job timmy for working hard and being a great player. You have some nice moves and keep working hard

Timmy Knipp is the best player in the mountains without a doubt. He's only going to get better. You could tell when he was in 8th grade he had some skill on the court. I enjoy watching him play the game, as I did with Jonathan Ferguson and the Faulkners there in the 16th as well as Elisha Justice from the 15th. People need to get out and support these kids because you only get one chance to see them play on the High School level, once they're gone that's it no more HS games. Enjoy them while you can.
Creeker Wrote:And people act as if Justice is the only kid that gets "downgraded" on here...

Can you say JEALOUSY?It seems to be an overwealming quality in a lot of people on here.
kyrifle Wrote:Can you say JEALOUSY?It seems to be an overwhelming quality in a lot of people on here.
I guess... the kid is a legit 6'7", is averaging 31ppg, with a FG% of 52%, 33% from behind the arch, 72% from the charity strip, over 3 assists, over 4 blocks, over 8 rebounds and 2 steals PER GAME... yeah, he isn't much is he.

:please:
Are there any mid majors offering? WKU, etc.?
Creeker Wrote:I guess... the kid is a legit 6'7", is averaging 31ppg, with a FG% of 52%, 33% from behind the arch, 72% from the charity strip, over 3 assists, over 4 blocks, over 8 rebounds and 2 steals PER GAME... yeah, he isn't much is he.

:please:

:thatsfunn

Again...look at the competition he's putting those stats up against. Kid is talented without a doubt but his play over the summer shows where he truly is and he only averaged 10 or 11 ppg playing against kids as talented as him.

All the potential in the world for TK, but he could definetly use some improvement in certain areas of his game. Let's also not forget that he's supposed to be a senior. I have no problem with kids being held back, but he isn't a true junior.
kywldcat01 Wrote::thatsfunn

Again...look at the competition he's putting those stats up against. Kid is talented without a doubt but his play over the summer shows where he truly is and he only averaged 10 or 11 ppg playing against kids as talented as him.

All the potential in the world for TK, but he could definetly use some improvement in certain areas of his game. Let's also not forget that he's supposed to be a senior. I have no problem with kids being held back, but he isn't a true junior.

Ahh gosh, here comes that thing again. It doesn't matter how old he is, he's within the state's rules to play HS basketball, why even bring it up?

And I agree with others, Elisha is not the only player on this site getting bashed.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Ahh gosh, here comes that thing again. It doesn't matter how old he is, he's within the state's rules to play HS basketball, why even bring it up?

And I agree with others, Elisha is not the only player on this site getting bashed.
I now see why you Valley folks go on about kywldcat01 so much... if the player isn't from the Louisville or Northern KY area then nothing they do is impressive... there will ALWAYS be a comparison to Holmes and the like... :eyeroll:
kywldcat01 Wrote::thatsfunn

Can you seriously not give any credit at all to teams or players in the Eastern part of the state? If nothing else, you don't have to get on here and downgrade the accomplishments of players like Justice, Knipp, etc.

Contrary to popular belief there are some fine basketball players outside of the Golden Triangle, and most people do give credit where it is due, but you have a true bias against EKY teams and players, and for what reason?

Knipp will turn 18 in April, and then play his entire senior season at the age of 18. Didn't know that was that large of an advantage compared to some other players. Someone like Rico Johnson turns 19 in June, so there is a 2 month difference in the two players' senior ages. Still think that is so wrong?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What does this kid have to do to prove to people that he is worhty of a D1 scholly? I guess if he played in the 9th and averaged 30 per game would that be good enough. If it is easy to score 30 per game in the 16th why is no one else doing it? If he averaged double figures on his AAU team why does it have to be the defenders keeping him down? Why can't it be he plays on a team with many scorers and takes fewer shots? Bottom line this kid can play. He is an all-state talent. I hope he does well wherever he chooses to go.
alfus21 Wrote:Can you seriously not give any credit at all to teams or players in the Eastern part of the state? If nothing else, you don't have to get on here and downgrade the accomplishments of players like Justice, Knipp, etc.

Contrary to popular belief there are some fine basketball players outside of the Golden Triangle, and most people do give credit where it is due, but you have a true bias against EKY teams and players, and for what reason?

Knipp will turn 18 in April, and then play his entire senior season at the age of 18. Didn't know that was that large of an advantage compared to some other players. Someone like Rico Johnson turns 19 in June, so there is a 2 month difference in the two players' senior ages. Still think that is so wrong?

Before he quotes you in reply, I just want you to know, in some way here I guarantee you are wrong, only because of who you quoted, somewhere in that post he will find something you said wrong.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Both of you make valid points but what you fail to realize is he's shooting over kids that range form 6'0 to 6'3 from outside. How would he do shooting over a kid as big as him that also has the athleticism to block his shot? It's very easy for a 6'7 kid to shoot over smaller defenders.

Nobody is saying Knipp isn't a good player. We're simply saying (the rational ones) that a lot of his success comes because of the weak competition. That doesn't mean he isn't talented, but simply stating the truth. Over the summer on the AAU circuit, he only averaged about 10 or 11 ppg. I think that's a good indication that he would dominate in other regions like you say. He would constantly be going against kids with as much athleticism and size as him night in and night out, just like on the AAU circuit. This would especially be true in the 9th region.

Again, I refer back to Knipp's 10 point performance against Pittman last year and the huge numbers that both Jones of Ballard (6'4) and Barnhill of East Carter put up against him. When he is against someone big, quick, or athletic as him, you see him struggle.

Put any of the following players in the 16th region and you'd see them dominate too:

Keisten Jones, Ian Chiles- Ballard
Chad Jackson, Dakotah Euton, Ge'Lawn Guyn- Scott Co
Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Jeremiah Johnson- Holmes
George Fant, Jordan Shanklin- Warren Central
Chane Behanan- Bowling Green (He'd likely average a triple double)
Vinny Zollo, Jaylen Daniel, Robbie Stenzel, Travis Purvis- Clark Co
Grant Pangallo, Jake Geisler- Newcath
Josh Sewell, Taylor Elpey- Trinity

I could continue but I think you get the point.

Timmy dominated the game last year when Elliott played Ballard. He was prolly the best player on the floor that night. Elliott Co. didnt play straight man to man defense last year so you cant say that those players put up huge numbers on Tk alone. Elliott was constantly trapping teams and rotating off their man so the numbers those guys put up were not just one on one matchups verus TK. Look at how he played last year in the state tourney, while Pittman may have outplayed him in the head to head matchup, as a whole, TK had just as good a state tourney as Pittman did last year, on an individual basis. If you look at Maxpreps.com, out of all the teams in the country that have reported stats, he is 18th in the nation in ppg. TK is as good a college prospect as Ky has to offer, other than maybe Behanan and Zollo and the best player in the mountains.
washed up Wrote:What does this kid have to do to prove to people that he is worhty of a D1 scholly? I guess if he played in the 9th and averaged 30 per game would that be good enough. If it is easy to score 30 per game in the 16th why is no one else doing it? If he averaged double figures on his AAU team why does it have to be the defenders keeping him down? Why can't it be he plays on a team with many scorers and takes fewer shots? Bottom line this kid can play. He is an all-state talent. I hope he does well wherever he chooses to go.

:Thumbs:Very good point!:Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Nobody is saying Knipp isn't a good player. We're simply saying (the rational ones) that a lot of his success comes because of the weak competition. That doesn't mean he isn't talented, but simply stating the truth. Over the summer on the AAU circuit, he only averaged about 10 or 11 ppg. I think that's a good indication that he would dominate in other regions like you say. He would constantly be going against kids with as much athleticism and size as him night in and night out, just like on the AAU circuit. This would especially be true in the 9th region.

Now that sounds a little more like it, you know that he is better than what you let on.
I remember watching Cam Thoroughman from Raceland/Portsmouth Clay play a couple of years ago just after he signed with WVU, and couldn't imagine what John Beilein ever saw in him. He was about the same height as Knipp, but was an anorexic version of him, and had nowhere near the talent as Knipp. It's not even close. I dont know if it was Beilein or Huggins that transformed him into the physical beast that he now is, but someone did. He certainly never played anywhere near the competition as Knipp in high school either, and is now a very solid player for a top 10 team in the country. In my opinion, Knipp is very capable of playing D1 basketball, and doing very well at it, regardless of who he plays against in high school. The talent is very definately there.
How tall is Knipp
How many blocks does he average at game?
NYY10 Wrote:How tall is Knipp
How many blocks does he average at game?

He is 6'7'' and averages right at 5 blocks per game